Ordered Online - Half Size Delivered - What Can I Do...?

PJ33

Hi everyone

A couple of weeks ago I ordered 3 bottles of flaxseed oil capsules from a reputable online site in Thailand. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to name them so I won't right now. Ordered many other products there before - no problems, great service.

The capsules arrived a few days later. The problem: the photo on the website clearly shows 200 capsules per bottle for 750 Baht, they delivered 100 capsules per bottle - half the size of what the photo led me to believe I was ordering. There is nothing in the worded description which says the number of capsules per bottle, so the photo was the only indication of size. Quite simply I would not have paid 750 Baht for a 100 capsule bottle and would have ordered elsewhere.

My Thai gf contacted the site support desk to report the problem. To be fair they have been helpful and agreed that the photo was misleading. They operate in a similar way to Amazon in that they allow lots of other sellers to sell through their website. So they contacted the seller to report the problem and the seller has said they made a mistake on the website and there should be a photo of 100 capsules bottles instead. I asked for either another 3 x 100 capsule bottles to be sent or half my money to be refunded. The seller said they do not want to meet either of my requests and want me to return all 3 bottles they sent.

Back in the UK in this situation my understanding is that once a payment has been made, a seller must deliver as per their advertised price or offer a pro-rata refund for delivered deficiencies. And I know we are Thailand, so the law will be different here - I just cannot find anywhere that tells me what the rules are.

So my question: can the seller refuse to make good the quantity ordered, refuse to refund half the payment and make me return the product to get a refund...?

Further information: I paid for the order using a UK issued Mastercard credit card, for delivery to my gf's workplace (always someone there to receive delivery). I could contact Mastercard and request a partial refund (chargeback) but I'm not sure if it's possible to get a partial refund. And maybe Mastercard would say the site is being fair in offering a full refund on return of the products.

My gf wants to send the products back tomorrow as she is worried about her "name". I pointed out neither of us have done anything wrong - and we are relying on the site to refund our postage costs also (which they have said they will do). She wants to avoid conflict. I want to avoid injustice (yeah yeah I know!!)

So the easiest thing to do is return the products and move on....

....Except now, nearly 2 weeks after we reported the misleading 200 capsule photo - the website still has the same misleading 200 capsule photo - and no changes to the wording.

So this leads me to think: maybe the seller is fully aware of the misleading nature of their photo and is just waiting for the next sucker to come along - and overpay for a falsely advertised product - who can't be bothered to take it any further. Ker-ching!! I feel like they need to be taught a lesson - and the best lesson is one that costs money.

I don't want to screw anyone over, I just want the quantity I paid for at the price I already paid.

So, what are my rights...? What can I do...? What would you do in the same situation...?

Cheers

P

You should engage your Mastercards' equivalent of the VISA "chargeback" service.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/visa-mastercard-chargeback

You clearly have not received the goods you ordered and paid for......Your card protects you of this.

I downloaded the template letter and it seems it is possible to request a partial refund by chargeback - so an extremely useful link.

I will continue to speak to the site and try and resolve it with them, under threat of chargeback if necessary, before actually writing to the card issuer.

Thank you for this!!

"Back in the UK in this situation my understanding is that once a payment has been made, a seller must deliver as per their advertised price or offer a pro-rata refund for delivered deficiencies"

Your understanding of the UK is wrong. In the UK and here in Thailand you may reject the goods and return them for a full refund. If you paid by credit card or paypal then you could contact them for advice, but basically if you want a refund you should return the goods.

Edited by technologybytes

So they said return it and they'll give you your money back sounds fair. What's the problem? either pay the price or return it. Since its not your company dont spend too much time worrying about their operating practices.

Seller told you to return for refund, so what is the problem ? This ain't UK.

Sure you can file a complaint with OCPB, and most likely will have same result .

Sure you want double the amount for the same price, well....... Welcome to Thailand and stop buying from Lazada

if its who has been sugested they do cash on delivery,so tell them pick up the goods and pay on collection.

as for sending them back via registered mail and waiting for a REFUND pigs dont fly.

i guess, if you send everything back, you will have paid 100% for nothing in return

don't seem so honest

& next time, order from IHERB !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what you buy in thailand is low quality and double of the price

This happens all the time, either deliberately or sometimes by accident, get over it!

Do you really think they are bothered by your complaint? No.

Just send back by recorded delivery and inform your payment card to refund the money.

I would just like to make a note on Flax seed oil itself. I am not sure how much of the beneficial substances contained in flax seed oil can be taken up by the body when you ingest it by itself as an oil capsule.

Johanna Budwig was adamant that the only way the oil can be 100% taken up by the body was to mix it with Quark (Cottage cheese is similar) so that the oil can bind and react with the Sulfuric compounds present in the Quark/Cottage cheese.

Google up "Budwig diet"...

Villa Market in Pattaya sells bottles of flax seed oil (about a liter) from Australia for about 700-800 Baht each. bottled in Nitrogen. After opening keep in Freezer and it will be good for a month or more.

Edited by AlQaholic

Last year I ordered supplements from Amazon. When delivered it was 3 bottles of 100, rather than 1,000 as advertised. They told me there was a mistake in their photo image and sent me 7 more bottles of 100. Two issues seem present in this problem: the poster being made whole, and trying to prevent other people from being screwed over in the future. While the second is clearly not a duty, I think we all do try to do this sometimes.

You remain injured by time and separation of your funds if you choose to send it back. Fact. You want an end with minimal loss, send it back. Try to negotiate how they will cover shipping.

However, I would use MC/VISA to leverage as well. I wish you luck. I also bought stuff on that site and was sorely disappointed. Still impressed with the speed and ease of use, I ordered again. I was disappointed again.

When some time passed and I needed another item, I again fell victim to my own laziness and ordered again- who could possibly screw this up, I mused. They shit on me again. Yea, its my fault, but my point

is these people, for whatever reason, sell a lot of crap. In my case the items were all midget products clearly not to scale in the images online. I hope you fight it.

There is both good and bad sellers on Lazada, same like on Amazon Marketplace. I saved more than 5k Baht some electronics (15k vs. 20k in the cheapest local shop) so it can be much cheaper. The only issue is their delivery company which seems rather disorganised.

As for the topic, this is Thailand... just send the stuff back and get your money from MasterCard, the seller is obviously useless so don't deal with them anymore.

Last year I ordered supplements from Amazon. When delivered it was 3 bottles of 100, rather than 1,000 as advertised. They told me there was a mistake in their photo image and sent me 7 more bottles of 100. Two issues seem present in this problem: the poster being made whole, and trying to prevent other people from being screwed over in the future. While the second is clearly not a duty, I think we all do try to do this sometimes.

You remain injured by time and separation of your funds if you choose to send it back. Fact. You want an end with minimal loss, send it back. Try to negotiate how they will cover shipping.

However, I would use MC/VISA to leverage as well. I wish you luck. I also bought stuff on that site and was sorely disappointed. Still impressed with the speed and ease of use, I ordered again. I was disappointed again.

When some time passed and I needed another item, I again fell victim to my own laziness and ordered again- who could possibly screw this up, I mused. They shit on me again. Yea, its my fault, but my point

is these people, for whatever reason, sell a lot of crap. In my case the items were all midget products clearly not to scale in the images online. I hope you fight it.

When Lazada sent me a used drum instead of a new one, they promised to refund my shipping costs as well. OF COURSE they didn't refund anything, neither the product nor the shipping costs until I complained at Paypal. Than I got the product costs refunded but not my shipping costs.

There is both good and bad sellers on Lazada, same like on Amazon Marketplace. I saved more than 5k Baht some electronics (15k vs. 20k in the cheapest local shop) so it can be much cheaper. The only issue is their delivery company which seems rather disorganised.

As for the topic, this is Thailand... just send the stuff back and get your money from MasterCard, the seller is obviously useless so don't deal with them anymore.

yes but if it brakes down and you need Lazadas not existing customer support (as it might be a grey import) for the warranty it is:

35K with Lazada instead of 20K at the local shop.

(35K=15K for Lazada purchase + 20K buy it new locally because you never get any answer from Lazada customer support).

The bad thing is if they send you some used/refurbished Laptop, Camera, etc instead of a new one.

If they send used stuff, I'd just send it back and claim the money with VISA or Paypal.

For warranty you deal with the manufacturer (lots of good service centres around Thailand), you don't have to go back to the seller.

Edited by wump

If they send used stuff, I'd just send it back and claim the money with VISA or Paypal.

For warranty you deal with the manufacturer (lots of good service centres around Thailand), you don't have to go back to the seller.

yes but how much hassle it is to claim the money with VISA or Paypal? And lets say Lazada tells Visa they didn't receive the product back, than you must proof that you sent it back which is very difficult, because you could send just an empty box. At the end you most probably get the money back with VISA and surely with Paypal, but at what amount of hassle?

Warranty: Good luck with the manufacturer if the product is for sale in Malaysia or Japan and was imported to Thailand......

yes but how much hassle it is to claim the money with VISA or Paypal? And lets say Lazada tells Visa they didn't receive the product back, than you must proof that you sent it back which is very difficult, because you could send just an empty box. At the end you most probably get the money back with VISA and surely with Paypal, but at what amount of hassle?

Warranty: Good luck with the manufacturer if the product is for sale in Malaysia or Japan and was imported to Thailand......

But you know this in advance when you buy an imported product, no? For me, I'm happy with having a Japanese version because I think in the unlikely case the warranty isn't international my savings should make up for any repair fees. And then again, the warranty period over here is only one year, right? Usually products are designed to break only after 2 years+ so I think I'll be fine.

But don't get me wrong, you make valid points, I just don't think they outweigh the savings. You painted a worst case scenario which I think is rather unlikely (could still happen though).

As for claiming money back with VISA, it is only a click of a button in my online banking. With Paypal you just log into your account, look for the transaction and click on DISPUTE or something. Sellers are really scared of this as PayPal likes to freeze merchant accounts, keeping the money. So usually if you threaten the seller with opening a dispute they just refund the money voluntarily.

But you know this in advance when you buy an imported product, no? For me, I'm happy with having a Japanese version because I think in the unlikely case the warranty isn't international my savings should make up for any repair fees. And then again, the warranty period over here is only one year, right? Usually products are designed to break only after 2 years+ so I think I'll be fine.

But don't get me wrong, you make valid points, I just don't think they outweigh the savings. You painted a worst case scenario which I think is rather unlikely (could still happen though).

As for claiming money back with VISA, it is only a click of a button in my online banking. With Paypal you just log into your account, look for the transaction and click on DISPUTE or something. Sellers are really scared of this as PayPal likes to freeze merchant accounts, keeping the money. So usually if you threaten the seller with opening a dispute they just refund the money voluntarily.

100 % agree with the Paypal thing.

I wouldn't count on it that you know before that it is an imported product. After I received a used drum for the laser printer which was repacked very sloppy in an original box which looked like it stand 5 years in the sun I don't trust them at all.

On a claim with VISA: If they can proof that they sent it to you and you signed for it, it goes back to you proofing that you sent it back......Sure you'll win it, but who pays for all the time and hassle?

You are right, I paint the worst case....But think you are lets say a Thai student who saves all his money for a nice 30K Laptop and than he goes thru all these troubles with little experience and his family barking behind him how stupid he is to loose the money. Than he doesn't deal with VISA USA, he deals with the Kasikornbank and he has no money to buy a other laptop while this is processed.....

Yes worst case but it can be dramatic for someone with little money....

Break after 2 years? Looking around here nothing is younger than 2 years, lot things are older than 5 years. I had a lot warranty issues, bought most from Invadeit. Drop them an email send it back and forget it.....

But it depends on the price difference.....Paying 15K instead of 20K is worth some trouble.

They admit they sold you something that's different from what was represented on their website.

They have offered a full refund on return of the wrong product.

Where's the difficulty exactly?

The time, the trouble and the costs involved in sending them back. Initial disappointment at not getting what was reasonably expected.

Obvious innit.

If you run an online mailing business your duty is to get things right. If you do not you do not throw the problem back in the customer's face.

What's a few extra pills to them? What's a slight loss on the deal to them? Their mistake after all.

Edited by Beechboy

Reply to h90:

I agree with you there. For me losing 15k might not be a big deal and I would just accept it because stuff like this would happen only rarely so the continual savings would make up for it over time. For a Thai on minimum wage that might be much different.

I also wouldn't want to deal with a Thai bank, I'm pretty sure they aren't interested very much in consumer protection. When you make a credit card claim, I think you deal with the card issuing bank, not VISA or VISA USA, but I might be wrong there.

Did you have that many issues with sellers on Lazada? I bought an imported product and this was promoted as a feature, it even said 'imported' in the headline and not in some fine print in the description.

Also, isn't there seller reviews like on Amazon? If the seller has sold a lot and received mostly positive feedback that also would lower your chance of getting a bad apple.

It is bad practice to send customer returns out as new. Back home they aren't allowed to do that and the products would have to be sold as used and then go for a significantly lower price.

Edited by wump

They admit they sold you something that's different from what was represented on their website.

They have offered a full refund on return of the wrong product.

Where's the difficulty exactly?

The time, the trouble and the costs involved in sending them back. Initial disappointment at not getting what was reasonably expected.

Obvious innit.

If you run an online mailing business your duty is to get things right. If you do not you do not throw the problem back in the customer's face.

What's a few extra pills to them? What's a slight loss on the deal to them? Their mistake after all.

What's obvious to me is the sellers full admission that they cannot provide exactly what was advertised and thus cannot provide exactly what the customer ordered. By offering a full refund and taking back the wrong products, they are admitting they cannot fulfill the customers exact requirements. How does giving the customer back his money and letting him shop elsewhere be seen as throwing the problem back in the customers face?

Send back the stuff, get the refund, move on.