Marriage Visa Chiang Mai

BuffaloRescue

Hi

If i apply for extension of stay based on marriage in chiang mai, are they likely to come to my home and check me out/ask nosy questions to neighbours etc?

If I yearly go to laos to get a new o visa instead of extension, are CM immigration likely to come to my home in CM and check me out there also?

Immigration offials and sometimes the regular police, have been known to check on farangs with annual visas in Chiang Mai. Probably not directly, but rather making inquiries with neighbors and the locals.

Why does this concern you?

The first time you apply for an extension of stay based on marriage with Chiang Mai Immigration, especially if you have never had this extension type before in Thailand, CM Immigration will almost certainly come and speak to your neigbours and ask "nosy" questions. They might also want to come inside your home and look around - and speak to your wife while they are there. At least, this was my experience when I first applied -- and I have heard about others in CM having this happen to them.

almost 7 yrs ago, yes, they came to our home, looked around, neighbors were not home, so they talked to mooban security. They questioned the wife's sister, who was living with us at the time. Asking things like - are you married? where is your husband? will he care if you go out with a policeman? hahahaha... it was hilarious.

Wow, I have never heard this. Why do they come to the house? To make sure the marriage is not a charade?

This is generally done through out Thailand and is not Chiang Mai specific. I had an interview on my first marriage extension and no more.

And not just once! They may put in an appearance year 1, year 2...etc. They are not really interested in speaking to you, but rather the neighbours/village headman/local monk, etc.

Sometimes they do. They are checking that you are living at that address and are legally married with local witness. Talking to you our me accomplish nothing for them. This is the main reason that our wife have to be with us for a marriage extension. Another reason they may keep coming back is there are a lot of doggy characters out there, this does not imply you.