No Longer "dreaming" Of Retiring In Thailand

Pepe'

Two years ago I came close to packing up my medical practice and retiring in Thailand. I love this country and have traveled there since 1971. Circiumstances did not allow it at that time. Now I'm glad I didn't.

Although not active on the forum these days, I do read it regularly.

I am truely concerned about the changes taking place in Thailand.

It is enough to deal with losing personal freedoms here at home. I can't imagine losing even more freedoms one has by residing in Thailand. What's the trade off?

<snip>

I have met Taksin, twice. Once in Thailand at the Dutch Embassy and once here in at the Thai Embassy in Los Angeles. No thanks.

It is refreshing to see so much open dissent/discussion on the board about Taksin and the other governmental, cultural and socio-economic BS that permeates the culture.

"Freedommmm!!!" - William Wallace

I remember a time, not too long ago, when this was discussed very cautiously and conservatively. Mostly encouraged not to discuss these kinds of things at all.

However it appears that "the gloves have most certainly come off now."

I applaud the moderators for permitting and the members for contributing the truth.

I will be in Thailand from 11-07 to 12-07.

"Doc" I had promised you a bottle (or two) of good red wine on more than one occasion.

If it's OK to put liquids in the luggage, at that time, let me know where we can meet so you can take delivery. I will be around Samuts Sakorn for a few days visiting family before traveling around the country.

Best of luck to all of you.

We've all got an opinion let me close with one more,

"Instant karma's gonna get you. It's gonna knock you one the head.

Better recognize your brother. Pretty soon your gonna be dead."

'Cause we all shine on. Like the moon and the stars and the sun. Yeah we all shine on. On an on and on and on and on on onnnnn."

- John Lennon :o

/Mod Edit - Discussion on Thai Royalty deleted - please see the Forum Rules.

Edited by Jai Dee

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I guess there are changes not only in Thailand but in the the entire world....and this the result of evolution? progress? sustainable development? globalization? war on terror? global warming?

Yes things are changing for better or worse....yes when I was young the grass was greener .... and we lived in a better world ...(really ? did we?)

Thailand is not an exception live with it...........you are getting old (me too) 1971 is an other era...history ....try to live in today's world like Geriatric1927 on YouTube ..........

Two years ago I came close to packing up my medical practice and retiring in Thailand. I love this country and have traveled there since 1971. Circiumstances did not allow it at that time. Now I'm glad I didn't.

It is enough to deal with losing personal freedoms here at home. I can't imagine losing even more freedoms one has by residing in Thailand. What's the trade off?

<snip>

I have met Taksin, twice. Once in Thailand at the Dutch Embassy and once here in at the Thai Embassy in Los Angeles. No thanks.

It is refreshing to see so much open dissent/discussion on the board about Taksin and the other governmental, cultural and socio-economic BS that permeates the culture.

I remember a time, not too long ago, when this was discussed very cautiously and conservatively. Mostly encouraged not to discuss these kinds of things at all.

I applaud the moderators for permitting and the members for contributing the truth.

"Doc" I had promised you a bottle (or two) of good red wine on more than one occasion.

If it's OK to put liquids in the luggage, at that time, let me know where we can meet so you can take delivery. I will be around Samuts Sakorn for a few days visiting family before traveling around the country.

'Cause we all shine on. Like the moon and the stars and the sun. Yeah we all shine on. On an on and on and on and on on onnnnn."

Good lord. Dude, you need to mix in some slightly different expat circles where there is no pessimism and everything is simply business as usual. Dont let the monotonous diatribe, drivel and incessent winging and moaning on this board be reflective of all expats opinions,situations and comfort levels with the current climate in Thailand.

Edited by Jai Dee

I guess there are changes not only in Thailand but in the the entire world....and this the result of evolution? progress? sustainable development? globalization? war on terror? global warming?

Yes things are changing for better or worse....yes when I was young the grass was greener .... and we lived in a better world ...(really ? did we?)

Thailand is not an exception live with it...........you are getting old (me too) 1971 is an other era...history ....try to live in today's world like Geriatric1927 on YouTube ..........

Each passing year tends to change your perspective on things a bit. I certainly look back fondly to 20 ...30 years ago as being a kinder, gentler, simpler world. Maybe it was.... or maybe I was just too inexperienced to know better.

<snip>

Well I will be there next year. Im sure I will love the place, I hope you wont miss it too much :D

Edited by Jai Dee

Each passing year tends to change your perspective on things a bit. I certainly look back fondly to 20 ...30 years ago as being a kinder, gentler, simpler world. Maybe it was.... or maybe I was just too inexperienced to know better.

Hmmmmm, lets see 30 years ago the Vietnam war just finished and Millions were killed there. At that time Pol Pot started his murdering rampage and killed 40% of Cambodias population, not such good times me thinks. :o

Good lord. Dude, you need to mix in some slightly different expat circles where there is no pessimism and everything is simply business as usual. Dont let the monotonous diatribe, drivel and incessent winging and moaning on this board be reflective of all expats opinions,situations and comfort levels with the current climate in Thailand.

Well said.

<snip>

Awww Doc Pepe don't be down....... take 2 aspirin and call me in the morning....

Maybe a change in your speciality. ?????/ Something you look up to ????? Ever considered gynocology ????? Could make a perky pepe out of you....

Cheer up........ it makes us feel down when de doc be like us.....

Gonzo

:D:D

jes--us doc,

after reading your post can i please make an apointment for a figging chat about depression as im nearly tipping over the edge. :D

you suppost to be a frigging genious my friend being a top doctor and such.

how about selling up your practise and living a life of luxury in thailand on a retirement visa.

leaving all your money in the states and not worrying about this stuff ?

that's what ill be doing. :D

forget about all this political bullsh--it and smell the frigging frangipani's my learn'ed friend. :D

cricky's,

its not like your a bloody teenager any more so how about having some bleeding fun and stop worrying about bollicks.

anyway's doc,

i'll be in los when you are here, so whats the chances of a free prostrate check. :D

good luck and cheers to you doc. :o

I understand how you feel.

I felt physically ill about the televised 9-11 lamentations presided over by King Bush. Those people have real grief, sure, but what an orchestration :o . Never carried on about the New Orleans flood victims like that, did they ? Not a healthy society.

Hmmm. Better go check that thread in the "visa" section about other places.

I felt physically ill about the televised 9-11 lamentations presided over by King Bush. Those people have real grief, sure, but what an orchestration :o . Never carried on about the New Orleans flood victims like that, did they ? Not a healthy society.

Where to go where the government doesn't suck? Thats a tough one. If you're looking for other countries to retire to, there are some ideas here: http://www.retireaway.com

<snip>

- John Lennon :D

Awww Doc Pepe don't be down....... take 2 aspirin and call me in the morning....

Maybe a change in your speciality. ?????/ Something you look up to ????? Ever considered gynocology ????? Could make a perky pepe out of you....

Cheer up........ it makes us feel down when de doc be like us.....

Gonzo

:D:D

Gonzo,

I think --it's obvious-- Doc Pepe's speciality is psychiatry. Notice how cunningly (I am setting you up here) was he able to bring all of us from a state of utter despair and depression to a state of complete hilarity and bliss. :D Thanks Doc and thanks to all of you! This is better than Robin Williams meeting John Clesse.

I feel better already (and the fact that I did not have to pay for anything is bonus, of course, :D as it is unheard of. :D ) ... I feel in fact better than before I started reading this post. It's a bit of a miracle.

What depressed me more than anything though --initially-- is that Doc Pepe met Taksin and could not fix him a little something while lying on the sofa, if you know what I mean! :o

Edited by MyPenRye

and the fact that I did not have to pay for anything is bonus, of course, as it is unheard of. )

:o

I love this forum ( because ?) I think most of you are Brits. I am Aussie and have a similar sense of humour & sense of self.

When I lived in China and read the US-dominated "teacher" boards, you could never say a bad thing about Bush. I saw so many parallels between the two places.

Am I really allowed to say stuff about Bush here ? Have I rejoined the free world ?

Edited by changchang

I felt physically ill about the televised 9-11 lamentations presided over by King Bush. Those people have real grief, sure, but what an orchestration :D . Never carried on about the New Orleans flood victims like that, did they ? Not a healthy society.

Where to go where the government doesn't suck? Thats a tough one. If you're looking for other countries to retire to, there are some ideas here: http://www.retireaway.com

I agree about King Bush and all making a show out of something very sad. Same stuff in Canada. And, yes, good observation about New Orleans. Oh! Well! We know why, don't we?

Very informative the site. I noticed though that Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan were not even mentioned! :o If only we could convince a few of King Bush's admirers to have a look,... :D

and the fact that I did not have to pay for anything is bonus, of course, as it is unheard of. )

:D

I love this forum ( because ?) I think most of you are Brits. I am Aussie and have a similar sense of humour & sense of self.

When I lived in China and read the US-dominated "teacher" boards, you could never say a bad thing about Bush. I saw so many parallels between the two places.

Am I really allowed to say stuff about Bush here ? Have I rejoined the free world ?

little bleeding cracker changchang, :D

look mate, :D

us aussie's love los and this forum as we have an advanced sense of humour and can spot a tosser 20 Klm AWAY.

i like pom's as well because they can get a giggle up and also like to have fun.

the forum rules say that we must have a sense of humour and i think some punters should have another read of the rules. :D

cheers changchang and i like chang too. :o

Please, don't forget the Canadians. :D Imagine what it would be like to live close by where 50% (more and --probably-- less :o ) of the population have posters of G. Bush in their bedrooms VS Britney Spears (unbelievable, but true :D ). Mind you ... our new PM, Harper (a conservative, Christian,...) thinks highly of King Bush (what a surprise? :D ), so it would appear that we don't have to go far for a depression. Where is Doc Pepe when you need him, hey? :D DOC! DOC! Where are you? :D

It is true that I also find the posts really funny on TV.

Is Blair fair game though? The Queen? Prince Charles? ... Dame Edna? :D

(Any jokes on PM Chretien is totally unacceptable, but ... quite likely. :D )

Edited by MyPenRye

Please, don't forget the Canadians. :D Imagine what it would be like to live close by where 50% (more and --probably-- less :o ) of the population have posters of G. Bush in their bedrooms VS Britney Spears (unbelievable, but true :D ). Mind you ... our new PM, Harper (a conservative, Christian,...) thinks highly of King Bush (what a surprise? :D ), so it would appear that we don't have to go far for a depression. Where is Doc Pepe when you need him, hey? :D DOC! DOC! Where are you? :D

It is true that I also find the posts really funny on TV.

Is Blair fair game though? The Queen? Prince Charles? ... Dame Edna? :D

(Any jokes on PM Chretien is totally unacceptable, but ... quite likely. :D )

Please, don't forget the Canadians. :D Imagine what it would be like to live close by where 50% (more and --probably-- less :o ) of the population have posters of G. Bush in their bedrooms VS Britney Spears (unbelievable, but true :D ).

T O O F U N N Y ! and highly therapeutic ... cheque in mail.

Thanks so much ! You can :D just so totally not say that :D amongst US "teachers" in China.

AND THEY CAN NOT SEE THE PARALLELS BETWEEN CHINA AND THE U>S>. They come to China and carry on about BRAINWASHING ! :D:D:D

Am I really allowed to say these things about America ?

I have a gorgeous husband from the USA, BTW.

We'd prefer you to keep the discussion Thailand-related...

:o

in other words, on this board, you are not aloowed to say a word about bush, just like those american boards you described