Current Paperwork Requirements for Inter-Changwat Bike Sale

I've reviewed the recent discussions on this topic, but want to make sure I have the correct information for my situation.

Which is:

I, the buyer, am a farang residing in Bangkok on a retirement visa. I have a yellow tabiyan baan here in Bangkok.

The seller is also a farang residing in Phuket on a valid work permit.

The bike is registered in the seller's name in Phuket.

I will go to Phuket and pick up the bike and the paperwork.

What do I need from the seller before leaving Phuket in order to transfer the registration without difficulty here in BKK.

Tks in advance for clear, concise, experience-based replies.

I amnot sure exactly what you will need I would suggest going to Phuket registration office and ask what is needed. Or check with Bkk before you go to pick it up. People here have experience with these things but things are constantly changing so best to go right to the registration office to confirm what is needed.

My experience with this I was the seller I ended up having to go to the registration office to straigthen it out. They can find fault with the littlest thiing.

Edited by lovelomsak

A variation on the question:

Do I have the option of going to DMV in Phuket with the Phuket-based seller and getting the tabiyan rot in my name THERE? This would mean that I, a BKK resident, would have a tabiyan rot and license plate from Phuket.

Can that, or must that, be transferred to BKK, and how easy is that to do?

Not exactly the same but I bought a bike in BKK and it's registered there even though I am living in Phuket. License plate will be from BKK.

So the reverse should be possible for you. Buy it in Phuket and transfer the green book into your name there. Bike stays registered in Phuket. You can then if you want transfer the registration yourself to BKK at any later point in time.

I bought a bike in Samui.

Went to LTO there and transferred book into my name and paid seller.

Drove on that until road tax & insurance were due,

then had book & plate changed to local by Pattaya agency.

Took ~month to come back.

If you just pay the Phuket guy and get bike and have problem with papers @ BKK LTO, you are screwed sir.

Edited by papa al

I bought a bike in Samui.

Went to LTO there and transferred book into my name and paid seller.

Drove on that until road tax & insurance were due,

then had book & plate changed to local by Pattaya agency.

Took ~month to come back.

If you just pay the Phuket guy and get bike and have problem with papers @ BKK LTO, you are screwed sir.

Yes, the getting screwed part is what I'm trying to avoid. Let me clarify two points:

1. You believe that it will be possible to get the tabiyan rot for the Phuket-registered bike transferred into my name (with BKK tabiyan baan) while retaining the current Phuket registration and plate?

2. It seems that when you brought the bike back to Pattaya, you did not do the transfer from Samui to Pattaya yourself, but had that done by an "agency". If I'm understanding that correctly, why did you use an agency, and was it not possible to have done that yourself?

Tks in advance for your advice.

1.If tambyon rot is green book, yes.

2. I've read in these forums that changing outside book & plate ==> Pattaya requires going to provincial office in Chonburi 2 or 3 times.

Costs not much more to have agency do it.

Perhaps more straightforward in big mango.

Edited by papa al

2. I've read in these forums that changing outside book & plate ==> Pattaya requires going to provincial office in Chonburi 2 or 3 times.

Thanks for this. It turns out that the seller believes it will take a week for the LTO in Phuket to issue the tabiyan rot (green book) with my name replacing the seller's. This is something that takes a few minutes in Bangkok. Since I don't have a week to sit around waiting in Phuket, and since I'm not inclined to take the bike out of Phuket without anything showing my ownership of it, I'm probably not going to go ahead with this transaction.

Next time I'll look for something closer to home, there are too many moving parts in this type of deal.

Tks all for your suggestions.

S.

Good idea.

Many local bikes on the market.

Some shady types around Phuket anyway.

I bussed down there once from Patts to buy a bike advertised as 9Kkm.

When I viewed it, looked more like 90.

Seller: "oui, the 9K may not be correct."

Good thing papa is non-violent.

It turns out that the seller believes it will take a week for the LTO in Phuket to issue the tabiyan rot (green book) with my name replacing the seller's. This is something that takes a few minutes in Bangkok.

Correct, changing the name takes 1h, a quite simple process.

No new book will be issued, your name will be in the same book on the next page

It turns out that the seller believes it will take a week for the LTO in Phuket to issue the tabiyan rot (green book) with my name replacing the seller's. This is something that takes a few minutes in Bangkok.

Correct, changing the name takes 1h, a quite simple process.

No new book will be issued, your name will be in the same book on the next page

Thanks for the confirmation. I have pulled the plug on this purchase, and don't think I will regret it. Appreciate the advise from all respondents. Over and out.

Hmmmm....i just bought a bike from Phuket and brought it to Samui. Had power of attorney from seller, motorbike sales form, copy of sellers ID or passport with valid visa and done! I supplied my own immigration form as well as copies from my passport. It is actually a very simple process and best done in the province in which you will reside.

That's it. When I bought the VTX1800 it was Rayong plate and I had to go to Rayong to pay the current and back tax. Then I had to go to Chonburi to get the bike checked, photographed and documented for a Chonburi plate....which you don't get on the day, but a week later. DLT in Pattaya didn't do a thing.