Thai students rally to demand ban on liquor selling within 500 metre from campuses

webfact

Students rally to demand ban on liquor selling within 500 metre from campuses

CGjtXgiVIAAQ8Hh1-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- About 30 students and members of an anti-liquor network rallied in front of the government’s public services centre to demand actions against liquor selling near campuses.

The group cited a recent case in which one student of Rangsit University was shot dead and his peers injured by their rivals. The gun attack happened after the student group left a pub near Rangsit University.

The demonstrators handed over an open letter addressed to Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha demanding that pubs, restaurants and stores within 500 metre radius from a university or a college be banned from selling alcoholic drinks .

The group leader, Mr Thirapat Kahawong, said that liquor selling near campuses was a long overdue problem which has not been resolved because the operators of these venues have treated students as their main patrons.

He also alleged that liquor selling venues were known as the source of brawls among rival youths and sexual intimidation.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/students-rally-to-demand-ban-on-liquor-selling-within-500-metre-from-campuses

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-06-03

It is not the sell, it is the people who drink it. And with a motorbike I am sure they can manage to go 600 meter.

Actually these students demonstrating should be banned from University because of too low IQ for being an academic.

Boy, things have changed since I was student.

"The group leader, Mr Thirapat Kahawong, said that liquor selling near campuses was a long overdue problem which has not been resolved because the operators of these venues have treated students as their main patrons."

Oh, wait, no they haven't......;

Edited by Bluespunk

....to demand actions against liquor selling near campuses.

I agree, they should sell liquor on the campus to save the walk to the shops.

When I was an undergraduate our Students Union regularly organised pub crawls!

Usually starting on campus and ending in the city centre or in a ditch depending on one's constitution. rolleyes.gifwhistling.gifrolleyes.gif

Edited by Morakot

Boy, things have changed since I was student.

"The group leader, Mr Thirapat Kahawong, said that liquor selling near campuses was a long overdue problem which has not been resolved because the operators of these venues have treated students as their main patrons."

Oh, wait, no they haven't......;

I can remember walking to the nearest pub when at college at 16 and enjoying a couple of pints. It's what students do isn't it?

I guess they don't even want to consider making people accountable for their own actions? Moving the excuse for their problems 500 meters down the road will not change anything except the location of the problems. Education and enforcement of the law and a change in the culture is what is needed.

i would think that even a Thai university student could figure out how to get alcohol 500 meters away.

....to demand actions against liquor selling near campuses.

I agree, they should sell liquor on the campus to save the walk to the shops.

When I was an undergraduate our Students Union regularly organised pub crawls!

Usually starting on campus and ending in the city centre or in a ditch depending on one's constitution. rolleyes.gifwhistling.gifrolleyes.gif

Our Students Union ran a pub on the University area, finding some legal loopholes to run it as club without profit, but membership was never checked so they didn't had to pay tax.

If we would rally, we would have rallied for more booze within 500 meter.

I'm reminded of an old Creedence Clearwater song, (link below), for those that don't understand the drawl... some of the words go like this... Bootlegger, Bootlegger, take you a glass of water, make it against the law, see how cool that water tastes!

My opinion the secret is in education, not prohibition. Look what a tremendous job education has done for the western world regarding cigarettes and the young. And I'm a smoker, but my hat is off to those educators.

https://youtu.be/cevHrrCz2F4

We had a bar in our Halls of Residence. Didn't even have to go outside to get a couple of pints after study. Can't remember anyone getting shot.....

I like that. Maybe something lost in translation. Can't imagine a Thai student asking for a single shot. Of for that matter " make mine a large one "

They should all be arrested for gathering in a group of larger than 5 people. As far as the shooting goes, wouldn't it be more effective to rally against guns?

No, I think they still want the opportunity to shoot themselves in the foot.

With the amount of campuses in Bangkok there will he nowhere to buy booze. 500m is a LONG way on a densely populated city. Ladprao intersection (Including Central zone) is within 500m of St. John's. Soi Cowboy and all the restaurants etc in the Asoke area are within 500m of Srinagarin Uni and lets not get started on Chula and its surrounding areas. :rolleyes:

far easier to blame it on the "pubs" rather than the idiots that drink too much and have a sh*t attitude problem. Maybe if they actually acted like adults, oh wait, they are just as bad, maybe if they actually took responsibility for what they do and not simply deny that they have to accept the blame they might start to see the light, would also help if they didnt act like 10 y/o all the time.