Recommended schools in CM for 3 and 8yr old

Looking for schools in CM are preferably have some teaching in English and Thai as we are a mixed thai falang couple so important for our kids to learn both languages.

Budget upto around 150k per child per year give or take. Been looking at Varee and Sabit Rangsit for starters and would welcome all feedback on those as well as any other recommended schools.

many thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Varee is probably the most popular in the area for mixed families. Reasonably priced, great, new facilities, academics seem fair. They are new though and really haven't been around long enough to establish a reputation academically.

Montfort has a lot of upper middle class Thais and old reputation and is typically considered the best for private schools.

Prince Royal's College is pretty good as well

Dara Academy is about the same is Prince

Regina and Sacred Heart are further down on the list but

All have either EP or Bilingual programs.

Be forewarned that the majority of Bilingual programs in CM are taught by Filipinos and not Native speakers. For some this is a problem and others not, just a heads up.

Satit for secondary is at CMU and is excellent. The primary at the community college is sub par.

For your budget though if you have 150k a year for each, you could be looking at some International schools instead if you don't like the Thai curriculum.

My wife and I have chosen Varee for our daughter.

If my daughter was not half Thai, I would have chosen Lanna. Lanna is an excellent school, recommended to me by a friend who has been here a lot longer than I. They don't have the pompous nature of some international schools, its a good, down to earth feeling and the kids seemed happy to be there.

The reason we went for Varee is that from age 6-11 she will go through the English Program, taught 60% by foreigners (native speakers), and 40% by Thais. She will become proficient in reading, writing, speaking and listening in both languages and this is very important to my wife and I, we don't want one language to prevail over another. I didn't feel that there was enough focus on Thai language at Lanna. At secondary level, the international program at Varee follows the IGCSE curriculum, the same as is taught in the UK (and Lanna) with the same certification. I know the system and my wife had a look at the standard of Thai Language taught and examined and thought it was a better curriculum than Thai schools follow. The IGCSE exam results I saw at Varee also looked very good and all the kids I saw and spoke to seemed very happy.

Fees are close to 100,000B a year up to age 11/12, then around 200,000B a year after that for the international program.

One of the things I did, and I'd recommend you do, is to have a chat with some students. I also visited Satit Rangsit (not to be confused with the more Thai Satit CMU) and felt the standard of English there was very poor amongst students.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived