Thailand Live Friday 11 October 2024

3. 174

Why do retirees marry in Thailand ?

4. 73

Foreign Tour Operators Flood Phuket, Taking Jobs from Locals

5. 2

Afghan Man charged with Election day terror plot

6. 1

Double-Ten Retailer Promotions: 10-10 is a Chinese Holiday. So, why is this big DEAL here?

7. 0

93-Year-Old Woman Crawls into Sakae Krang River & is Missing While Daughter Sleeps

8. 25

Pattaya Police Raid Poker Gambling Ring, Arrest 9 Foreign Players

9. 25

Pattaya Police Raid Poker Gambling Ring, Arrest 9 Foreign Players

10. 2

Former Aussie cop’s epic run across Thailand for tsunami victims

11. 7

Thailand triumphs in UN Human Rights council bid

12. 2

Donald Trump’s New Tax Promise: Eliminating Income Taxes for Americans Abroad

Is it possible to change your home province with Bangkok bank?

I plan on moving to pattaya next month. earlier I saw a discussion on the form that out of province transactions are charged 20 baht at the ATM, which I can confirm (I opened my bank account in Bangkok and din the ATM withdrawal in Pattaya yesterday.)

I'd like not to have to pay this fee every time I make a transaction after I move to Pattaya. Has anyone successfully switched their home province?

I originally opened a BB account in Phuket (Patong). Then moved to Phang Nga. Closed my Phuket account at the Phang Nga branch. Then moved to Chiang Mai. Opened an account in CM, and retained my Phang Nga account. When I iBank with BB, I can see my Phang Nga account, with a minimal balance, and my CM accounts. I can transfer funds between then easily if I cared to.

I left out a very important fact in my post above: the accounts I refer to there were savings accounts. In Phang Nga I also had a 1-year term deposit with BB. In CM I tried to access these funds. No dice. I had to go to my Phang Nga BB branch to do it. So account mobility is dependent on the type of account.

When I moved from Rayong province to Chonburi province I opened a new account with BB in Pattaya. The teller asked, do you want me to move your money from Rayong to your new account? Knowing it is just a push of a button, I said Yes, not knowing there would be a fee attached for doing it. Transfer the money yourself, You will also have to purchase a new ATM card.

I originally opened a BB account in Phuket (Patong). Then moved to Phang Nga. Closed my Phuket account at the Phang Nga branch. Then moved to Chiang Mai. Opened an account in CM, and retained my Phang Nga account. When I iBank with BB, I can see my Phang Nga account, with a minimal balance, and my CM accounts. I can transfer funds between then easily if I cared to.

...and you can make up to 5 transfers per month between your accounts in different provinces FREE. The same is true at the Green bank.

It is an outrage that if you pull money out in the provience next door you have to pay a comminision to the bank. Completly nuts.

If you transfer at the bank between accounts you have to pay a comminision if inter provience, accounts you own in the same bank.

and they only have a tiny 50,000b a day limit on atm tansfers.

total rip off

Does anyone know the "same bank" transfer fee between provinces? I would be transferring from a Bangkok bank in Bangkok to Pattaya.

I think it was 20 Fee + 10 B/10k. This seems not a lot , but that's a 1000 B if you transfer 1 million.

Not 100 % sure , but a bank check is free ?

When I closed my Bangkokbank acc in Bangkok , I took out in 1 swoop , more than a million and took it with me to a northern province and opened a new account ( at another bank ) . All cash no fees.

I hope the cashless society doesn't reach Thailand.

I hate banks.

Edited by BuaBS

You just open an account in your new province and use that.

As said, open a new account at you local Bangkok Bank.

You keep the one in Bangkok and for Online use you just add your new account to you original account online,

All you Bangkok bank accounts in Thailand can be managed form one online e-Banking.

You will have 2 ATM cards to use either in your new province or when you are in Bangkok and no ATM fees.

I hope their FEE DRIVEN policy has changed but, several years ago I moved from Phuket to Pattaya, found my ATM card did not work and questioned the bank, - SCB. I was told that my account had to be transferred from SCB Phuket to SCB Pattaya and the charge,

SCB to SCB would be 1,500 B plus 300 for anew ATM card which I had no option and paid !

That does not make sense as an ATM should work but fees are involved both for out of area and after 4 withdrawals each month for use of other ATM Pools banks. People use ATM cards out of there bank area every day.

You need to open a new account. But in my case this was not possible. Because when I opened my account in Phuket I had a non-immigrant visa "O". This was 13 years ago. In the meantime I moved back to Europe and I am only living partly in Thailand. On a normal tourist visa. As I am more in Pattaya now I wanted to open or switch the account to the Pattaya Branch of Bangkok Bank. They did not let me do that because I did not have the proper visa in my passport. But I was allowed to keep my Phuket account. Does not make sense to me. But, TIT facepalm.gif

Actually you do not need any special visa per there own web site - but not every branch official will know that so you might have to talk with Bangkok Hqs. But there are specific requirements so you might need a letter of where you live from your Embassy or have another person vouch for you. Easy way is to try another branch when faced with rejection - often that will be all that is required. We expect if one place says no they all will - but that is just not the case among Thai bank branches.

You need to open a new account. But in my case this was not possible. Because when I opened my account in Phuket I had a non-immigrant visa "O". This was 13 years ago. In the meantime I moved back to Europe and I am only living partly in Thailand. On a normal tourist visa. As I am more in Pattaya now I wanted to open or switch the account to the Pattaya Branch of Bangkok Bank. They did not let me do that because I did not have the proper visa in my passport. But I was allowed to keep my Phuket account. Does not make sense to me. But, TIT facepalm.gif

I just open an account with bangkok bank and they ask for work permit or verify letter from embassy.

The letter is to verify that my passport is real and told by my embassy(Singapore) only bangkok bank allow me to open account.

I'm also told by bangkok bank staff that I can only open account at tourism provinces like bangkok, chon buri, chiang mai. ... and so on

I opened my account at Ratchada.

Edited by stevensg

Does anyone know if the fee is also charged for non-cash transactions outside the home province ( i.e. store purchases through the debit card)?

I've never been charged a fee when using it for a purchase anywhere in Thailand, but I have when doing an ATM withdrawal out of my home province/region. Their website implies a fee only comes into play within Thailand when making a cash withdrawal/transfer.

post-55970-0-49772000-1433599130_thumb.j

Edited by Pib