Profiled And Harrassed By Immigration / Customs?

crawford

Harrassed because you visited Thailand?  

115 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have:

a french passeport (red) with no more pages,

attatched to this one.... a temporary passeport with nearly no more pages (waiting for a new one) and not the same color (green),

I have an Arabic origin name,

born in Vienna Austria,

the passeport is old so that the my picture is starting to decompose,

Visas from more then 15 different countries

and some of them for countries like India, Indonesia, Bangladesh, Myanmar, Malaysia, Paki, Iran...

Of course I get harassed...

Edited by Amir

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did get hassled in Seattle last time I was coming back from Thailand (a 2 month vacation). The customs agents hassled me for an hour, checking my bags thoroughly... they even made me open my laptop, and looked through my photos (nothing embarrasing, and if I did have anything, I'd keep it on an encrypted volume anyway). They were not rude, but I think they were way too invasive, especailly since I look in no way suspicious.

I travel quite a bit, and sometimes to rougher parts of the world (e.g. the balkans) but have never experienced similar hassle everywhere... there's no place like home.

So these are my questions:

1) Did I do the right thing in saying "yes, the girls are beautiful" to the agent? What would've been the best way to handle that line of questioning?

They are looking for someone who seems "wrong" in some way. If you think Thai girls are beautiful, it means you are absolutely normal.

2) Does this kind of thing happen only to Americans coming back to the US? Or do other nationalities receive the same kind of questioning when coming from Thailand to the US, or to other countries?

It happens in countries which are having a problem with drugs imported from SE Asia.

It happened to me in the 70s at Heathrow just after the "Mr Asia" drug ring busts. Youngish, a bit scruffy, single male travelling on a dirt-cheap flight from Bangkok. Probably fits their profile of a loser who might carry drugs.

It hasn't happened to me in other Western countries. It happened to me at Kansai Airport, Osaka. Not many single, middle-aged guys travel alone to Japan (again on the cheapest flight) from Thailand, especially near New Year's Eve. I wrote this up in detail elsewhere on TV. Unfortunately, I had just got a new passport. I had also just bought a new suitcase, new clothes and a bunch of other stuff because I hadn't travelled to a cold country for about 10 years. All this seemed suspicious to them.

Middle-aged, new leather jacket, living in LOS for years and travelling to Japan alone at a time of year whn immigration staff manning levels might be low, I probably fit their profile of an old Bangkok loser trying to become a player. I think the problem was I wasn't dressed like a businessman, I wasn't dressed like a backpacker, and tourists to Japan don't travel alone. On subsequent visits I dressed more like a backpacker, didn't wear anything new and took the expensive JAL flights. There's usually a little suspicion at Kansai (almost none at Narita) but nothing like that one time.

I think the trick is to appear to fit in some accepted category of traveller and not stand out too much.

I used to fly China Airlines to LoS. The return leg was Bangkok-Schipol-East Midlands Airport. You'd think the Bkk & AMS connection would be slightly suspect but in 5 years I never actually saw a Customs officer on duty at EMA. The Customs Hall was always empty when we arrived.

They seem to hassassed me when I come back from anywhere. My friend say I just got this sly look about me and thats why they always do it.

Even when I get pulled over when driving here the cops seem to always want to search my car for some reason.

Never been targeted/singled out ever. I fit the same profile. Normally get the typical question, what was the purpose of your travel/Why Thailand?? (answer is holiday) and then I move on. :D

Mate of mine was asked a similar question at Heathrow, coming back from thailand - his response I'm single. :o

Edited by britmaveric

I had one bad experience @ JFK in New York City where I was "detained" in a room with 3 inspectors who seemed to take great pleasure looking up the crack of my asss while I was bending over for them holding up my nut sack.

Oh, you got the VIP treatment!

What is the actual law on this point? Although i know it might vary from country to country. Can you refuse to have your ass inspected? If so, what happens then? There must be some sort of violation of human rights etc :D I don't know :o

Edit/ don't know what happened with the quote function :D:D

Edited by mrbojangles

Well UK/Yanks can hold you for 48hrs without cause, I'm sure thats similar in other countries. I don't find it any use to be a pain in the arse because in the end you will lose when it comes to those lot. Best to be polite and do as you are told.

On a side note, OP said he used his mobile inside customs. Most places I know this is prohibited, so that might have drawn needless attention to himself and opened himself up for hassles.

Edited by britmaveric

What is the actual law on this point? Although i know it might vary from country to country. Can you refuse to have your ass inspected? If so, what happens then? There must be some sort of violation of human rights etc :D I don't know :o

You don't have much in the way of rights during a Customs inspection. When I checked - long before 9/11 - you could refuse to have the body search until a doctor is present or until they get a court order. Either way you just waste a lot of time and they get what they want in the end. When I got hassled (quite politely, I should add) in Japan, they X-Rayed my stomach. It's a bit more dignified than an axxhole inspection or pooping into a bag.

Inspections go further, once returning to UK I had my Laptop taken away and inspected by their computer then I was fully searched along with my luggage - nothing found of course but no use complaining they are more powerful in Law than the Police!

What is the actual law on this point? Although i know it might vary from country to country. Can you refuse to have your ass inspected? If so, what happens then? There must be some sort of violation of human rights etc :D I don't know :D

You don't have much in the way of rights during a Customs inspection. When I checked - long before 9/11 - you could refuse to have the body search until a doctor is present or until they get a court order. Either way you just waste a lot of time and they get what they want in the end. When I got hassled (quite politely, I should add) in Japan, they X-Rayed my stomach. It's a bit more dignified than an axxhole inspection or pooping into a bag.

Fortunately, i haven't had the pleasure :o of being searched. I must look like an upstanding member of the community :D But if it did happen, i would prefe the x-ray. I just hope if i do ever have to have my ass looked into, there is a "silent but deadly" fart waiting to come out :D

Note to self--- eat Kwai and 1000 year old eggs before returning to the UK in future :D:D

Edited by mrbojangles

This subject came up last night in Australia on the real life TV program "Border Security". A passenger who travelled extensively in SEA was being examined, and when traces of cocaine were found on his wallet they decided on a cavity search. (An xray in hospital) He asked what would happen if he refused. The answer was they would get a magistrate to the airport to hear the case from both sides and decide on an order to force the checks.

On a personal note, I've travelled extensively all over the world for decades and have never once opened my suitcase for customs. I must have the right look! :D

I usually don't get bothered, but, once they made me strip in Singapore Airport and went through my luggage piece by piece.

The last thing in the bottom of my bag was some rolled up toilet paper and I could tell they were getting all excited. They made me open it, but there was just more toilet paper inside! :o

Most immigration officials are corrupt in the Philippines. If you get stuck in one immigration both, try going to another both, and then the next. If it won't work, quietly write a sum in $! Presto! You're a saved man!

Custom Officials are more scary. They'd check your baggages for valuable items, which they can use to tax the crap out of you! As long as you tell them that there's nothing valuable, and as long as your expensive things are under your suitcase, you will basically walk though customs! (Tip** Gift Wrap your valuable items and tell them they're gifts, or put them under a pile of undies.)

I've had a bad experience with them before. I was once asked to strip naked, inorder for them to check if I had a tattoo that could confirm membership with "illegal activists groups (I was in their RED watch list.), outlawed fraternities, violent gangs, extremist groups, or waring clans." Hello??? I think, they were too busy looking at the wrong spots! But that was a long time ago! These days, our immigration officials are more honorable and a whole lot smarter!

Edited by GracelessFawn

What is the actual law on this point? Although i know it might vary from country to country. Can you refuse to have your ass inspected? If so, what happens then? There must be some sort of violation of human rights etc

I think before you actually clear customs and immigration in USA you are technically in a limbo whereas you are physically in the country but have not been officially admitted i.e. Tom Hanks recent movie.

Therefore in this “grey zone” to some extend your rights are very limited.

Can happen anywhere. Couple of years ago my company sent me to norway first class on a business trip. I was hungover like hel_l and looked like shit. I wore my pimp anaconda skin leather jacket, jeans and a wife beater so needless to say i didn't exactly blend in with the other business travelers.

I noticed immediately that some customs agent where stalking me at the baggage claim so i knew i was in for a treat. Of cource they took me in to the side room and started with all the awkward questions, while very carefully sifting trough my baggage. They even took the time to look at some year old paper strip that i had written down some numbers on and asked me what it was. All in all they acted like they were sure to find something.

Eventually they let me go. My best guess is that someone on the plane (stewardess?) though i was a drug courier and ratted me out.

[On a personal note, I've travelled extensively all over the world for decades and have never once opened my suitcase for customs. I must have the right look! :o

I agree.....WHO ON EARTH would like to check upon an Old Croc in the mouth...or even his suitcase? :D

LaoPo :D

Hey

US Customs & Immigration in the USA now come under the Homeland Security Dept. They have separate agents in the airport/Ports of Entry for Customs and Immigration, but they also have a cross trained 'task force' of agents that work for I.C.E. which is the Immigration and Custome Enforcement section. These agents are both Customs and Immigration agents.

I am not a US Citizen and have travelled to many countries throughout the world and the ONLY place I get questioned, is when entering the USA. Not every time, but most times.

Once when entering PHL, I had a connecting flight which was departing 2 hours after my landing at PHL. I was singled out yet again for questioning by Customs and asked to go into an 'interrogation' booth. I was asked loads of questions, many out of their jurisdiction. I don't play along with them, I know my rights and am not in the least intimidated by their antics.

It got to the stage where my connecting flight was to leave within 30 minutes, so I just said, right, are you going to clear me or not, my connecting flight leaves in 30 minutes, either clear me or arrange for deportation and a meeting with your Post Director. I was cleared immediately.

It hasn't stopped the 'entry' inspections, but it brought that 'inspection' to a swift halt.

I think one of the main requirements for acceptance as an agent, is that you must be rude and arrogant. Because they all seem to posses that mentality...except one I met once in Miami, who was polite, which shocked me and I thought it may be a new reverse psychology policy...hahaha.

I don't know why I get hassled, it doesn't phase or worry me, I just put it down as something I must accept, if I wish to enter the USA. Since 9/11, the attitudes do seem to have hardened.

Kind regards

Peter

Last night John, of the "John & Jeff Show" (an American talk-radio program) discussed his ordeal upon returning home from a 1 week vacation in Thailand. He was singled out for interrogation and baggage search, apparently just because he was a single white guy in his thirties coming back from Thailand.

At immigration in Los Angeles (LAX), he handed his passport and "declaration card" to the agent. Agent asked "what's your social security number?". John answered, and was allowed to pass through to the baggage area.

While waiting for his baggage, he decided to check his cell-phone messages, which had accumulated during his week outside the country. As he was listening, he had the feeling he was being watched, and realized that a Customs & Immigration agent was eyeballing him as he slowly circled him TWICE.

As soon as he got off the phone, they guy was in his face with all kinds of questions, rapid fire:

May I see your papers? (hands his passport and "declaration card" to agent)

Where are you coming from? (Thailand).

Really? What were you doing there? (vacation).

Do you travel a lot? (Not internationally - I usually travel domestically). This was apparently John's first overseas trip, and he'd only applied for his passport two months earlier.

What do you do for a living? (I'm in the broadcasting business).

Really? So why did you go to Thailand? (Well, I heard it was a nice place to go).

Where did you go in Thailand? (I spent four days in Phuket, and then a few more in Bangkok).

How long were you over there? (a week).

What did you do there? (I went snorkeling in Phuket, and did some sightseeing in Bangkok).

Are you bringing anything back from Thailand? (I bought a couple of gifts).

Really! Who are they for? (family and friends).

Are you bringing any food or beverages? (just some instant coffee that I got from the hotel).

(John notices the agent writing some kind of code on his "declaration card".)

OK. (agent hands him his passport and card).

John finally gets his luggage and proceeds toward the exit.

He comes upon another agent who asks for his papers. John hands them over, the guy looks at them, and says "Oh, you have to go over THERE", pointing to an inspection station.

There was only one other person being inspected, out of maybe 300 people who'd gotten off of two planes. The same agent who'd circled and questioned him at baggage claim now asked him for his papers AGAIN. He asked him some more questions, and took about a minute to type something into a computer. He then put on rubber gloves and asked John to unlock his luggage, whereupon he searched through his stuff, finding nothing of course. He took no interest in the instant coffee. Then he started to SLOWLY re-pack the bag. John asked "would you like me to do that?" And the agent says "Well, that would be up to you!"

-----------------------------

I (pretty clean cut, white guy, mid thirties, never did drugs in my life, absolutely no criminal record, etc.) remember coming back from Asia back in year 2000, also through Los Angeles International airport. I'd been to Thailand, China, Taiwan and Hong Kong. Everything went fine, but just as I was exiting the baggage area with my luggage, it happened - the only time I've ever been questioned by a customs/immigration agent. An agent came running up to me:

agent: "excuse me - what were you doing in Thailand?"

me: ("Uhhh...just vacationing...")

agent: "Did you buy any drugs?"

me: (shocked "No, of course not!")

agent: squinting at me "so what was it - the girls? Do you like the girls? (sort of a guy-to-guy wink thing going on)

me: (thinking - <deleted>??? - but saying yes wouldn't exactly be admitting to whoremongering or anything, and in any case, beats being a druggie, and I just want to give this guy something so I can get out of here - "uh, sure - the girls are beautiful...")

]

agent: big smile - "Aahhh!! That's it - you like the girls!

me: sheepishly, wondering what the f I'd just gotten myself into, if anything - just shrugged my shoulders like 'yeah'.

agent: OK -

And I left the area and was on my way, shocked, and wondering what the hel_l that was all about, and if he was going to go back to his computer and put a note in my dossier about how I'm some kind of pervert or sex tourist or whoremonger or worse.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So these are my questions:

1) Did I do the right thing in saying "yes, the girls are beautiful" to the agent? What would've been the best way to handle that line of questioning?

2) Does this kind of thing happen only to Americans coming back to the US? Or do other nationalities receive the same kind of questioning when coming from Thailand to the US, or to other countries?

3) Why were we singled out? What kind of profile might we have fit?

4) How common is this kind of thing?

5) What countries other than Thailand seem to red flag you for interrogation or search?

6) Tell us your experiences!

I went thru a similar experience on coming back to USA from LOS but it was partly my fault for not having my story together about what to declare -- I believed wrongly that anything under 400 dollars was "nothing to decare." But I had to dump everything (including dirty underwear :D ) on the stainless steel table and they went thru everything w/ a fine tooth comb. I passed :o Then they had the nerve to give me an evaluation form -- they wanted me to evaluate their performance :D