questions about fertility tests, vasectomy.

Hi all,

I have some questions regarding above mentioned items and since I couldn't find any recent items in the search bar I am starting a new topic.

Recently I broke up with my ex after 5 years for various reasons. We are still ok with each other but she told me the other day that about 3 years ago she stopped taking the pill without ever telling me. Not the nicest thing to do since I do not have

the wish to father any children which she knew. Still she didn't got pregnant and she told me it might be better to check. She never checked herself nor will she do that.

So my first questions is; can I do a fertility test in any clinic? I contacted a few different hospitals but they all are quoting a consultation fee of 800-1,500 Baht and a semen analysis of 1,500 baht. Are these normal prices or inflated hospital prices?

My second question is about vasectomy. Like I said I do not wish to father any children of my own. There I really do love kids, I have my own reasons to not want to have them myself. I rather save that money and pay for my brother/sisters kids education when they grow up. Believe me, I thought about this for a long long time.

Also I contacted some hospitals about vasectomy and they are quoting me prices of around 35,000 Baht for this procedure. From my understanding it is a minor surgery and this price seems a bit steep. If this is indeed the right price, I am willing to pay but I've read on an old topic about a guy who had it done for a 1,000 Baht 'donation' at the PDA Thailand (something with cabages and condoms I believe). Can anyone give me some updated information?

The last problem is my age, since I am 27 I guess it will be difficult to find a clinic or hospital who wants to do it, I am willing to pay a fee under the table if necessary to neglect my age but I rather do it all in an official way.

Thanks all.

First the Police Hospital in Bangkok is good for fertility issues, I can't remember the price, but it seemed fair. Second, as an old codger who never had kids, but later in life wanted to, at 27 I would hold off having a vasectomy, or at least have one that is easily reversible, if possible. I know at 27 you think you know what you want and have your life planned out, we all did. However believe me things and circumstances change. It is better not to burn any bridges at that age.

You can get a sperm count done at any hospital. It does indeed need a consultation if only to understand how to interpret the results. The price you mention seems reasonable for a private hospital.

While vasectomies are indeed inexpensive at PDA they will not do one on a 27 year old with no children and I don't know of anywhere in Thailand that will.

Thanks for your replies,

@Isaan George, thanks for your recommendation and concerns, I understand your idea and thought about it many times but I keep thinking that even if I ever change my mind

and really would like to have a life with kids. Wouldn't it be better to adopt and orphan rather than putting more kids on the globe? I would be more happy to change someones life for the better who has not much changes

than to make my own.

@Sheryl, thanks for your advice. I guess it would be difficult to find a place who does. I contacted BNH in silom they said they might do it after a screening and consultation so maybe I should check that out.

you mentioned that you didn't know of anywhere they do it with people of 27 without kids. Would you guess it helps if I would tell them I have a few and don't want any more? Or do I need to submit any documents?

Thanks for your replies,

@Isaan George, thanks for your recommendation and concerns, I understand your idea and thought about it many times but I keep thinking that even if I ever change my mind

and really would like to have a life with kids. Wouldn't it be better to adopt and orphan rather than putting more kids on the globe? I would be more happy to change someones life for the better who has not much changes

than to make my own.

@Sheryl, thanks for your advice. I guess it would be difficult to find a place who does. I contacted BNH in silom they said they might do it after a screening and consultation so maybe I should check that out.

you mentioned that you didn't know of anywhere they do it with people of 27 without kids. Would you guess it helps if I would tell them I have a few and don't want any more? Or do I need to submit any documents?

Actually your reply about adopting kids, is kind of what happened to me. When I married my wife I was 50 and she 36, neither of us had been married before or had kids. We wanted some, but were having trouble, we were going to have fertility treatments, but then my wife's brother moved in with his wife and a three year old daughter. We were already looking after a nine year old niece, so my wife and I decided to just be grandparents to these kids. The nine year old is now 21 living in Bangkok with her own daughter. The 3 year-old is 13, and we have a 9 year-old niece/granddaughter, and a 5 year-old nephew/grandson, all living with us. I think it's better than having our own kids. The mom and dad work for us by looking after the house and rice farm. Thus they can stay home and look after the kids and not have to go to Bangkok to work.

maybe you should find an honest GF, who will tell you if they are taking the pill, and use a condom correctly, etc .........

you may or may not always feel the same, that goes for everyone. when you are 45 and your gf is 30, life is funny......

having said that, vasectomy is not w/o some risks, eg chronic scrotum pain ; there seems to be some debate on pros/cons of different techniques, don't know what type they do at PDA, assuming, you had a chance of getting it done there

maybe you should find an honest GF, who will tell you if they are taking the pill, and use a condom correctly, etc .........

you may or may not always feel the same, that goes for everyone. when you are 45 and your gf is 30, life is funny......

having said that, vasectomy is not w/o some risks, eg chronic scrotum pain ; there seems to be some debate on pros/cons of different techniques, don't know what type they do at PDA, assuming, you had a chance of getting it done there

Chubby mate,

Although her logic was strange, I would always trust her again. We spend an awesome 5 years together and she never gave me one lie except this one. Her thinking was simply that she wanted to have one more kid in her life.

If I didn't want to have it she would have raised it herself with her family, she and her family are pretty well off so I wouldn't worry about the kid being ok. But still, no one should take a decision like this over a human life which was reason enough for me to end the relationship.

@IsaanGeorge, nice feel good story, good to hear that everything worked out good for you and your family!

for the rest in case anyone ever needs this info, I've contacted numerous hospitals and most prices are around the 35.000 mark. PDA does indeed not want to do it in my case of being 27 years of age but, I've got a reply yesterday from Phayathai 2 hospital who will do vasectomies regardless of age with the only condition is that you have fathered a child before in your life. The price Phayathai quoted me was between 18.000-20.000 Baht.

if you can get a girlfriend to use an IUD, and you use a condom correctly and consistently or you get the girl to do one of the long acting hormonal implants

you really don't need to do the Vas,

and you might wanna read up on chronic scrotal pain syndrome, which is not uncommon, i understand, weigh the risk, be in no hurry, no matter the money costs.

we were all once young, for some life changes for others it's about the same , re: "wanting a family" or loving someone so much, you want them to have a family.....as they age in Thailand, which as you know, has no old folks insurances ...... adoption while noble is not the same, ymmv

Chubby mate,

Although her logic was strange, I would always trust her again. We spend an awesome 5 years together and she never gave me one lie except this one. Her thinking was simply that she wanted to have one more kid in her life.

If I didn't want to have it she would have raised it herself with her family, she and her family are pretty well off so I wouldn't worry about the kid being ok. But still, no one should take a decision like this over a human life which was reason enough for me to end the relationship.

@IsaanGeorge, nice feel good story, good to hear that everything worked out good for you and your family!

for the rest in case anyone ever needs this info, I've contacted numerous hospitals and most prices are around the 35.000 mark. PDA does indeed not want to do it in my case of being 27 years of age but, I've got a reply yesterday from Phayathai 2 hospital who will do vasectomies regardless of age with the only condition is that you have fathered a child before in your life. The price Phayathai quoted me was between 18.000-20.000 Baht.

As Sheryl stated , getting a sperm count done is no problem but Thai doctors have a real hang up about doing a Vasectomy for someone of your age

Even in the US, in the State of Virginia a the age of 45 they made me wait the state mandated 30 days "cooling off " period before the procedure could be carried out

A Thai friend (38) wants one and all the doctors he has dealt with refuse and have suggested that he go to Singapore to get it done

I don't know anyone who regretted they didn't have one----issangeorge

I certainly do George---there is nothing nicer than bringing a child into this world when it is wanted..... but I have known many marriages collapse after having addition(s) that were not planed for. Also all guys with vasectomies can father a baby......the sperm is still there they extract it with a needle & place it directly into the women.

But why bother with the sperm count if you are going to have a vasectomy anyway ??

Yes just go ahead with it---I had one over 35 years ago----everything has been fine, but its now very reversible, I think instead of cutting the tubes, they clip them, can take the clips off at a latter date if wanted......& your back to as before.

I don't know anyone who regretted they didn't have one----issangeorge

I certainly do George---there is nothing nicer than bringing a child into this world when it is wanted..... but I have known many marriages collapse after having addition(s) that were not planed for. Also all guys with vasectomies can father a baby......the sperm is still there they extract it with a needle & place it directly into the women.

But why bother with the sperm count if you are going to have a vasectomy anyway ??

Yes just go ahead with it---I had one over 35 years ago----everything has been fine, but its now very reversible, I think instead of cutting the tubes, they clip them, can take the clips off at a latter date if wanted......& your back to as before.

Interestingly, I had the 'tube tying' method done, jeez sometime 15 to 20 years ago...

In late 2012, I had a sperm test done just prior to latest marriage, just to be sure, to be sure... - yeah right!!

The results came back, and blood fades from my face...

The results showed I was again at 100% potency - the tube-tying had at some time FAILed bah.gif - scary huh!!

Turns out I reckon it's because that 'tying' method was pretty new at the time, and the Malaysian doctor probably stuffed it up??

Next time if similar requirements for sterilisation arises, it will be a real vasectomy, to be sure, to be sure

The only downer in whatever of the 2 above methods used, is the apparently increased risk of testicular cancer? from the build up of the unreleased Potassium etc

I got one at the premium clinic at Ramathibodi Hospital. About 12k. No problems. Really nice place.

I was coincidentally 27 too, though I had one kid already (a few years old). The doc told me to go away and think about it. I did and came back a few months later. He did it.

I went to PDA prior to that ans they laughed me out the door. Their policy is: you must have had 2 children of any age or one children older than 5. Of of them told me to go have another one (baby) then come back, even the cleaner laughed and chimed in.

Edited by EmptyHead

I have known many people who regretted they had one, and wanted it reversed. I don't know anyone who regretted they didn't have one.

I know quite a few. Men who foolishly left it to the woman to "take care" of preventing pregnancy, and she either did not share the wish to avoid pregnancy or just wasn't very reliable.

it's all there on wikipedia, there are more than 2 techniques, there will be a trade off, for un-doing the job, which is the risk, it un-does itself, unfortunately, afaik, there is no sweet spot, either do it for good, and don't plan on un-doing it , as it's hugely expensive and often doesn't work, or don't do it.

also the techniques to harvest, i believe are also hugely expensive, and of no certainty. there are various other risks, with the various techniques, in short, you probably just go with the scalpel or maybe the micro incision method, if you find someone who does it , as the biggest risk is the chronic scotal pain

trouble with the waiting period, is it is scary to many, and so they will never do it, i'd like to find one (and maybe PDA does this), which will just do it on the spot

god knows there are enough unwanted kids in the world, and how many were mistakes, that just ended up steering lives in better and worse directions ........ of course

You can get a sperm count done at any hospital. It does indeed need a consultation if only to understand how to interpret the results. The price you mention seems reasonable for a private hospital.

While vasectomies are indeed inexpensive at PDA they will not do one on a 27 year old with no children and I don't know of anywhere in Thailand that will.

Does anyone know what vasectomy method they are doing at PDA? Open-end, closed, tied, etc.?

• 3 months later...

I have known many people who regretted they had one, and wanted it reversed. I don't know anyone who regretted they didn't have one.

I know quite a few. Men who foolishly left it to the woman to "take care" of preventing pregnancy, and she either did not share the wish to avoid pregnancy or just wasn't very reliable.

I trusted my UK wife and had 3 children . I decided to have the snip and do not regret it 20 years later . Now have Burmese wife in Thailand and not suckered into having another child. Faithful wife is important , no sexually transmitted problems

I had a vasectomy in Oz in my early 30s. Doctor was very ethical.

Although I had never sired children, my then wife had.

For 30 years, a quality decision.

My current wife (age 36), says that she would like a child.

We don't have arguments over it.

(I was told that a vasectomy was to be considered irreversible.)

• 1 year later...
On 6/7/2015 at 1:19 PM, justaforeigner said:

Thanks for your replies,

than to make my own.

Have you done it finally ?

On 10/7/2015 at 3:22 AM, Jo3000 said:

I'm almost in the same situation.

Ive been thinking about this for the last five years now, and came to the conclusion that its time to get a vasectomy done.

I don't want to get children in this life.
Believe me, I thought about this for a long time. I have thought really carefully about this and now I'm 100% sure that I want to get a vasectomy.

I'm 29 years old. I do not have any kind of medical treatment history and underlying diseases at all.

I see myself as a very healthy spiritual person, who takes good care of my body and my mind. I feel good, I just don't have the wish to father any children...

I have a few questions, maybe one of you out there can help me with them.

I would like to do some research first about the different places in Thailand.

Since I'm "only 29 and doesn't have any kids" I know for sure that they will not do it at the PDA clinic in Bangkok.

From what I understand and read other places, I think the surgery at the PDA clinic use the best method which is the “No-Needle, No-Scalpel Vasectomy”.

The “No-Needle, No-Scalpel Vasectomy” technique should be the latest technology, and it should hardly even bleed, which will mean less pain from what I understand. (No needle and no scalpel mean less pain).

The risks of complications are much lower as compared to the traditional vasectomy procedure.

Does anyone know a Hospital in Bangkok where the surgery does the "No-Scalpel Vasectomy" (and a place where its possible to get done at my age).

Any information's you may have would be appreciated.
Thanks for reading this and thanks in advance for your help.

With Kind Regards, Jo.

Done already ?