Thailand to Scrap Nationwide Minimum Wage

Lite Beer

Thailand to Scrap Nationwide Minimum Wage

BY Khaosod Eng.

BANGKOK— Thailand's Labour Ministry is proposing a plan to abandon the country's daily minimum wage in 2016.

The current minimum wage of 300 baht per day (about 9 dollars) applies to all 77 provinces across Thailand.

The wage is not in line with current labour market situation or inflation rate, Ministy of Labour permanent secretary Nakhon Silpa-archa told a seminar on minimum wage.

The ministry said it will determine an appropriate system to set the rate for minimum wage by October, Matichon reported.

Read More: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1433576511

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-06-06

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is almost like they are trying to goad the working class and the students back out into the streets again with proposals like this. Maybe the minimum wage was a success, maybe it wasn't, but I can imagine a lot of very angry people out there should this measure go ahead...

It is almost like they are trying to goad the working class and the students back out into the streets again with proposals like this. Maybe the minimum wage was a success, maybe it wasn't, but I can imagine a lot of very angry people out there should this measure go ahead...

The big businesses who supported the PDRC need to get their money back somehow.......

^ Just goes to show how little posters actually know about the magic 300 baht min wage carrot that was hung off the end of that long stick.

A lot of the workers were already getting that much or more, and a lot of the workers who were on say, 200 baht, were never going to get any more. Or are they naive enough to believe that all the rice farm workers suddenly got a 50% pay rise overnight ?

And what about the many people who run their own businesses, like the ladies at the markets selling fruit and vegetables, did they get the pay rise ?

Let's hope your wish does not come true babs !

"The wage is not in line with current labour market situation or inflation rate"

This means the minimum wage will be reviewed. It may go up or it may go down.

The agenda driven would be all over this like white on rice with their illogical baseless arguments proclaiming doom and gloom under the NCPO.

I for one hope it does not go up again as this cost is transferred onto the price of goods and services. If the minimum wage was 1000 baht a day imagine the price of Tom Yum on the street!

Remember what yingluck said when the price of goods and services went up after the last minimum wage increase..."There is no inflation, you are imagining it due to the hot weather and the children returning to school". One word to describe that statement. Contempt. Goodness only knows what the doomers and gloomers reaction would have been if Prayut said that.

Well done to the government for aligning and linking the wage scale to economic conditions instead of a populist knee jerk reaction to win votes and make the price of my wife's Tom Yum go up. This increase negated any wage increase and works still got the same goods and services that they did before the wage hike.

​About time we had some sensible well thought out, planned and economically aligned proposals.

Edited by djjamie

"The wage is not in line with current labour market situation or inflation rate"

This means the minimum wage will be reviewed. It may go up or it may go down.

The agenda driven would be all over this like white on rice with their illogical baseless arguments proclaiming doom and gloom under the NCPO.

I for one hope it does not go up again as this cost is transferred onto the price of goods and services. If the minimum wage was 1000 baht a day imagine the price of Tom Yum on the street!

Remember what yingluck said when the price of goods and services went up after the last minimum wage increase..."There is no inflation, you are imagining it due to the hot weather and the children returning to school". One word to describe that statement. Contempt. Goodness only knows what the doomers and gloomers reaction would have been if Prayut said that.

Well done to the government for aligning and linking the wage scale to economic conditions instead of a populist knee jerk reaction to win votes and make the price of my wife's Tom Yum go up. This increase negated any wage increase and works still got the same goods and services that they did before the wage hike.

​About time we had some sensible well thought out, planned and economically aligned proposals.

​"About time we had some sensible well thought out, planned and economically aligned proposals."

Yes, scrap the minimum wage ! Let's suggest that to Britain, Australia and the EU countries ! Let's see how people cheer on this sensible idea in those democratic nations !

(sorry, I myself am being a send-up of whatever poltical group). :)

New minimum wage varied by economy and region may replace the 300-baht wage next year

6-6-2558-16-17-28-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The 300-baht daily minimum wage which was in force across the country since 1 January 2013 may be replaced with a new minimum wage which will vary by economy and cost of living of each province and region.

This was the agreement reached at a seminar in Bangkok to debate the minimum wage and formulate guidelines to propose the new rate for next year.

The seminar was hosted by the Ministry of Labour.

Attendants comprised representatives from the ministry, Wage Committee, provincial wage committees, employers and employees associations

The seminar agreed that the minimum wage for next year be adjusted and must vary by economy and cost of living in each province and region. Above all it must be adjusted with regard to the impact it will have on the overall economy of the country.

The ministry’s permanent secretary Mr Nakorn Silpa-archa said it was agreed that wage subcommittees in each province will submit the new rate for next year to the national wage committee by this month so that it could study and set the new rates by October to propose to the government for endorsement.

The subcommittees are given several guidelines for their consideration to set their own rates. They include floating rate, rate that vary by economic development in 18 groups of provinces, by industries, and by combination of multi factors, he said.

The ministry also has floated the idea of floating rates at the seminar, he said.

In conclusion the new minimum wage will vary by economy of each province, and cost of living, and above all it must not tie to politics because any adjustment will have broad impact on factories, employment and national economy, he said.

Moreover he said labour must also improve their skills so as to enable employers to accept their skills and are willing to increase their wages.

But he said it was undecided whether the daily minimum wage will be higher but the national wage committee had decided on Dec 8, 2014 to reinstate the old rate system where wages vary by the cost of living and the economy of each province.

He also said the rate change will increase Thailand’s competitiveness and employment rates, and would also improve the living conditions of workers and reduce wage disparities, According to Bangkok Post.

Earlier in March this year, a 360-baht minimum wage was proposed by the Thai Labour Solidarity Committee after a 2015 survey found the cost of living of workers almost doubled from 2013.

The Yingluck government introduced a 300-baht minimum wage nationwide in 2013 amid strong opposition by employers who said the country’s competitiveness would be undermined.

But it was contended by the regime that the minimum wage has not been raised for years.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/new-minimum-wage-varied-by-economy-and-region-may-replace-the-300-baht-wage-next-year

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-06-06

whistling.gif I hereby propose a nationwide maximum income for Thailand.

I propose that any Thai executive, bank manager, Politician, or actor/actress who earns over 10 million Baht per year should be castrated if a male or sterilized if female.

A nationwide maximum income..... that would be a new idea.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Returning happiness to the Thai bosses.....................

When Thai bosses are not happy, the workers are suicidal.

Happiness to the bosses and employment for the workers.

Those who remain unhappy are those with outstretched hands.

I have nothing but contempt for PTP and the way they manipulated and exploited those who supported them but the minimum wage was about the only good thing they did. To scrap it is wrong.

Now raising it, well then that would be a good move....

And what about the many people who run their own businesses, like the ladies at the markets selling fruit and vegetables, did they get the pay rise ?

They would be employers, not employees. The minimum wage is for employees.

If they scrap the minimum wage & it's left to a "free market" to determine wage levels, guess that means, if wages reduce, companies/businesses/ Gov't will reduce prices/fees/ etc.

Well that's what's happened in the past, companies, businesses & Gov't are fair minded!

Guess that would be true in La la land; but not the greedy grafting world we live in!!

Try being a boss and having to pay 9000 for someone to sit around, most of the time sleep and when awake play on phone and see how happy you would be.thumbsup.gif

Keeping in mind the bad bosses usually have 3-5 of those for the job of one.

Edited by konying

dependant on the replacement but my first reaction is this is a shocking step bac wards and if my gut reaction is right this is something the powers to b should be ashamed of, and could well v much live to regret

I have nothing but contempt for PTP and the way they manipulated and exploited those who supported them but the minimum wage was about the only good thing they did. To scrap it is wrong.

Go on, Bluespunk, cheer on the policy but don't cheer on the ones who carried out that policy. :)

How about this ? Abhisit and the Democrats insert the minimum wage into the cornerstone of their policies ? Maybe the the present government can do the same, actually, make raising the minimum wage the cornerstone of their policies ?

See, by having Abhisit or the present government doing this, okay, the poor in Thailand benefit, Thaksin gets no credit, people cheer on the government, and, and, (very important this) and people on ThaiVisa can claim that it's not a populist policy !!! :)

which comes first - rising minimum wages or jobs?

Try being a boss and having to pay 9000 for someone to sit around, most of the time sleep and when awake play on phone and see how happy you would be.thumbsup.gif

Any boss that allows that to happen needs to downgrade his status and appoint a real boss who knows how to manage and delegate staff properly.

Guy's they are not scrapping the minimum wage ( there has been minimum wage since 1972) they are scrapping the national part and making it by province ( same as it was before Yingluck)

It may actually lead to a higher minimum in higher cost areas! And probably lower in lower cost areas.

Also any one else notice the Permanent guys name Silpa-Archer. One of slippery eels family!!!!

Edited by casualbiker

Go on, Bluespunk, cheer on the policy but don't cheer on the ones who carried out that policy. :)

How about this ? Abhisit and the Democrats insert the minimum wage into the cornerstone of their policies ? Maybe the the present government can do the same, actually, make raising the minimum wage the cornerstone of their policies ?

See, by having Abhisit or the present government doing this, okay, the poor in Thailand benefit, Thaksin gets no credit, people cheer on the government, and, and, (very important this) and people on ThaiVisa can claim that it's not a populist policy !!! :)

Abhisit and the Democrats wanted to raise the minimum wage. But in a sustainable way over 2-3 years so companies and workers got the benefits together!

Doing away with the Minimum wage is the scraping of the bottom of the barrel.It will hurt those likely to be exploited , Its also an insult to those low paid workers. They are Wasting Billions on High sped Railways and now they are sucking Big Businesses dick and getting rid of the minimum wage. Disgusting anti social social action\\

I would hazard a guess this is due to the shortage of illegal foreign Labour after the Human trafficking scandal. They need cheap labour to make there own money

Edited by ExPratt

Any boss that allows that to happen needs to downgrade his status and appoint a real boss who knows how to manage and delegate staff properly.

Share your knowledge once you visit Thailand , would be more credible ;)

Guy's they are not scrapping the minimum wage ( there has been minimum wage since 1972) they are scrapping the national part and making it by province ( same as it was before Yingluck)

It may actually lead to a higher minimum in higher cost areas! And probably lower in lower cost areas.

Also any one else notice the Permanent guys name Silpa-Archer. One of slippery eels family!!!!

That's the way I read it.

When the 300 baht minimum wage was introduced, people in Bangkok were already at least at 300 baht per day, so they saw no increase in their daily wage, but people in the outer provinces suddenly received 50% or more increases. Bonus.

...and when prices inevitably went up, the provinces did ok, but Bangkokians, with higher cost of living lost out by comparison.

This rethink is probably a good thing. One size does not fit all.

After all, it was just a knee-jerk populist policy aimed at the masses to buy votes...

Go on, Bluespunk, cheer on the policy but don't cheer on the ones who carried out that policy. smile.png

See, by having Abhisit or the present government doing this, okay, the poor in Thailand benefit, Thaksin gets no credit, people cheer on the government, and, and, (very important this) and people on ThaiVisa can claim that it's not a populist policy !!! smile.png

PTP did nothing for their supporters except exploit them for their own agenda, the "give thaksin whatever he wants amnesty". They did nothing for the people, nothing beificial that is, except for this one thing. So yes I applaud that policy.

However I still despise their venal, self serving corruption of democracy and exercise of govt. I despise the fact that all they cared about was clearing their paymaster. I despise their stupidity, greed and disregard of anything they could not profit from.

Go on, Bluespunk, cheer on the policy but don't cheer on the ones who carried out that policy. smile.png

See, by having Abhisit or the present government doing this, okay, the poor in Thailand benefit, Thaksin gets no credit, people cheer on the government, and, and, (very important this) and people on ThaiVisa can claim that it's not a populist policy !!! smile.png

Abhisit and the Democrats wanted to raise the minimum wage. But in a sustainable way over 2-3 years so companies and workers got the benefits together!

Hello there, do you feel that sometimes, "your gain is my loss" is true ?

Yes, 'zero-sum gain'. Your gain is my loss, or, my gain is your loss.

Thailand's Sino -Thai business elite need to recoup from their investment in Suthep's whistle blowing mob. This is part of the payback. Less than 2% of the Thai workforce is unionised so they will just cop it sweet. If Thai workers don't get organised and take action continued exploitation from the rich will be their lot.