South African arrested for falsifying police report in failed insurance fraud claim

Lite Beer

South African arrested for falsifying police report in failed insurance fraud claim

1433608885_1.jpg

PHUKET: Tourist Police, in cooperation with Phuket City Police have arrested a 33-year-old South African national after he confessed to filing a false police report that personal items had been stolen from his Phuket Town hotel room today (June 6).

At around 12.55pm today (June 6) the suspect, named as Mr Laurie Viljoen Botha, filed a police report at Phuket City Municiaplity Police Station, alleging that various personal items had been robbed from his room at the Sino Imperial Hotel on Phuket Rd in Phuket City's Talad Yai sub district.

However, police became suspicious after they studied the hotel's CCTV footage which showed the suspect leaving the hotel with a bag (see picture).

Police then invited the suspect back to the police station for further questioning, a session which finally concluded with the suspect signing a three-page confession that he had lied about the robbery in order to file an insurance claim in his home country.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/south-african-arrested-for-falsifying-police-report-in-failed-insurance-fraud-claim-52650.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-06-06

I really am surprised by this story.

All the countless times I had guests been robbed or staff stealing, police did absolutely nothing but take a report, charge 100 baht for photo copy and nothing else.

I had offered donations to go arrest thieves and still nothing and yet here not only police examines cctv but actually gets a confession

Phuket:- A 33-year-old South African man was arrested Saturday for having filed false complain with police that he had been robbed of his valuables. He later admitted he hoped to use the complaint form to claim for insurance compensation in his country.

Read More: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/831032-south-african-man-arrested-for-filing-false-complaint/

Why is no one pointing at HIM?

Agreed.................... What's going on, Thailand is falling apart! I need pointing in the morning with my coffee.

You boys are new to the subtleties of criminal pointing traditions.

Victims and criminals do the pointing. The thief-takers stand around sternly, in emotionless condemnation.

Therefore as both victim and perpetrator, he should be pointing at himself, with an (admittedly difficult to pull off) mixed expression of abject guilt and triumphant Schadenfreude.

Simple logic fellow TV sherlocks

Guess he's not the only one to make sure that we pay more for a travel insurance.

But an American guy topped him in Bangkok a few years ago. Same story, claimed that a lot of expensive items were missing.

Cops then made a search of his hotel room, found all items that "were stolen", plus a big bag of Ganja. cheesy.gif

All the countless times I had guests been robbed or staff stealing, police did absolutely nothing but take a report, charge 100 baht for photo copy and nothing else.

I had offered donations to go arrest thieves and still nothing and yet here not only police examines cctv but actually gets a confession

You've failed to make the all-important distinction between crimes committed by locals and crimes by foreigners. It's a "closed shop" and foreigners are definitely not welcome to participate (except in a "supporting role" as victim). It's all in the LOS fine print somewhere.

Leaving the hotel with a bag? What's so suspicious about that? blink.png

Leaving with a bag when you do not check out and probably, not coming back with that bag

is suspicious.wink.png

Where did you leave the bag and what had been, or is inside?rolleyes.gif

You've failed to make the all-important distinction between crimes committed by locals and crimes by foreigners. It's a "closed shop" and foreigners are definitely not welcome to participate (except in a "supporting role" as victim). It's all in the LOS fine print somewhere.
Fair point :)

However initially he was presumably robbed by a local and police actually did their job.

Unless he was really robbed and confession is a result of few hour "discussion"