• Topics

• Latest posts...

1. 2

Former Aussie cop’s epic run across Thailand for tsunami victims

2. 7

Thailand triumphs in UN Human Rights council bid

3. 0

Donald Trump’s New Tax Promise: Eliminating Income Taxes for Americans Abroad

4. 2

Former Aussie cop’s epic run across Thailand for tsunami victims

5. 23

Pattaya Police Raid Poker Gambling Ring, Arrest 9 Foreign Players

6. 61

Why Do You Even Drink?

7. 23

8. 14

Thaksin and Pheu Thai Party face constitutional showdown

9. 1

Police Identify 24 Suspects in Connection with Hundreds of Deaths at UK Hospital

10. 9

Thailand Live Friday 11 October 2024

11. 0

60-Year-Old Man Fatally Shoots Ex-Girlfriend, Then Himself, After Failed Reconciliation

12. 0

Thai Police Bust Multi-Million Baht Sex Toy Smuggling Ring

13. 130

Trump chickens out again.

14. 23

15. 23

What's the fastest way to withdraw small notes from a bank account?

I prefer 500 and 100 baht notes over the 1000's. I can withdraw 900 at a time from my Bangkok bank account at an ATM, but if I regularly do this 3 times back to back I'm concerned it'll trigger some kind of fraud alert. Also it's a bit slow.

Going into the branch doesn't seem to be much help, they just send me back outside to do an ATM withdrawal.

I suppose my final option is to get change for the 1000's. In the US I would just walk into the bank but evidently that's not how they work out here, given how they sent me outside to the ATMs. So what places are better for breaking 1000's into smaller notes?

I really don't see the problem. You withdraw the cash from the ATM, say 6000 baht, update your passbook (it's a good idea to keep it up-to-date) and then go into the branch with your passbook and ask the teller for the 5000 baht to be changed into 100s and 1000 baht in 20s. At least that's what I do once a week or so at my local Bangkok Bank branch. Helps if you know that "plean pen roy baht" is the term for change to be 100 baht and "plean pen yee-sip baht" is the term for change to be 20 baht, when you hand them the 5000 baht and then the 1000 baht. They get the idea.

Edited by NancyL

You can always go to the Bank of 7-11. I have never seen them refuse to make change for someone who is paying for a Coke with a 1000 bill. Indeed, I think that they are smart enough to see that this policy attracts customers.

yep bank of 7-11 every time. Pack of chewing gum, 1000 baht note, sorted and seeing as there is one about every 50 meters you should be able to get pocketfuls of small money in a very short amount of time. Also for the other poster there is one ATM (krungsri i think?) the yellow one they used to allow you to get out 30 000 in one withdrawal probably still do

I don't show the bankbook when I go into the Bangkok Bank branch to get my weekly allotment of 100s and 20s, but they know me.

Yes, the 7-11 trick always works, too, but I don't go into one very often. If this were my only way of getting small bank notes for Hubby and me, I'd have a large collection of small coins and packs of gum I didn't want!

Are there any ATM's that allow you to withdraw more than 20,000 baht in one transaction ( to avoid doubling up on the 180thb fee ) ?

Many people on Thai Visa have mentioned that Krungsri Bank ( Yellow Bank ) and TMB ( Military Bank ) can dispense 30,000 Bahts at the time from their ATM.