Oil Filter change with every Oil change?

lj cm

I have a 15 year old Nissan car; and I had it for 3 years. I don't have the Service Book..

The Nissan Shop wants to change the Oil Filter, every time I bring it for Oil change, at 5,000 km interval.

Is that really necessary?.

And btw; with todays oil quality, do we really have to change oil every 5,000 km?.

I "google'd" it, and there are many opinions; so I like better to ask TV members.

What do you do?

No you dont need a oil change every 5,000 km That went out with the ark. The most important part of a oil change is the filter. No point in changing the oil without the filter.

On your car I would use a semi synthetic based oil. You can easily drive 10,000 kms with this.

5000 km is around 3000miles (uk) To change your oil at 5000 km is a waste.,Modern oils are quite capable of high mileage. Synthetic almost double.

For your car a good semi synthetic would be good. with this 8000 to 10,000 km is ok

The shops/workshops will always try and tell you otherwise,that's the way they make their money

I run Delo....The shop always adds 10,000K on the little reminder tag.....But usually at about 7,000 I take it in and have the oil and filter changed.....The HARD thing to find in CM is places that shoot all/any of the zerk fittings....The filter is cheap insurance.....

I have a Mitsu L200 Strada with a 2.8 liter Diesel engine and got already 268,000 km on the clock.

I believe that the heat and constantly running AC makes it necessary to change oil earlier than in "colder countries"

I change oil and filter every 5 K and my engine thanks me for it, still running like a clockwork..

But I do buy good oil at the local store, where all mechanics buy their parts, 6 liters for around 550 baht, the filter around 180 baht.

I let a guy at a gas station change my oil, which is only 130 baht. He lets all old oil drain, does a great job and I still save 4 - 500 baht when going to Mitsubishi.

P.S. Especially older engines appreciate a good lubrication.

Edited by lostinisaan

I have my Toyota oil and filter changer every 10,000 miles.Thats what the dealer recommends.If you change oil and not the filter

Your contaminating the new oil cause of the old oil beng left inside the filter.Just get A new filter also.You won't regret it.

People keep mentioning heat? Your car has no a care about heat and runs at the same temp whether cold or hot climbs, it runs at what the thermostat allows most around 180 to 190, period the oil runs at about 220 F not C. Oil change less around 10,000k maybe even as much as 12,000 these days with a good oil and filter in between, it is the filter that is most important and as one poster mentioned anything else is just a waste of both good money and good oil in an age when we should be watching both.

People keep mentioning heat? Your car has no a care about heat and runs at the same temp whether cold or hot climbs, it runs at what the thermostat allows most around 180 to 190, period the oil runs at about 220 F not C. Oil change less around 10,000k maybe even as much as 12,000 these days with a good oil and filter in between, it is the filter that is most important and as one poster mentioned anything else is just a waste of both good money and good oil in an age when we should be watching both.

No, one person mentioned heat. We use celcius in Thailand BTW.

Thank you for the replies.

I think I will go with using semi synthetic oil; and change both oil and filter every 10,000 km.

Good choice. Dont worry about engine temp. In fact engines over here,last longer as they dont go through all the stress of warming up and cooling down

Good luck

A fully synthetic oil will do 15,000 to 20,000 km but in an older engine might be overkill and there have been issues with seals in some cases becoming leaky at the switch.

Most important is to replace the filter at each and every change.

I believe that the heat and constantly running AC makes it necessary to change oil earlier than in "colder countries"

No, one person mentioned heat. We use celcius in Thailand BTW.

Really? And I'm not just singling out this one post it crops up all the time in similar topics. As for Thai measures who the 'f' cares? It's your problem if you can't use a converter not mine, Thailand is like the others who use the metric system in that it's really insignificant like that.. But that's why I put "C" for those who have trouble understanding there's a much more significant world out there. In a conversation whether in Thailand or anywhere else I use what measures are familiar to me..

Edited by WarpSpeed

You don't mention if it is petrol or diesel. Diesels need their oil changed more regularly because of the sulphur in the diesel fuel contaminates the oil. Older diesels had a 5000k interval then came commonorail diesels and 10k intervals and my new Chev diesel has 20k intervals! I don't have the ball's to run a diesel oil to 20k with the high sulphur fuel here so do it at 10k. Patrols van go 10~15k no worries

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/om/SI9999/SI9999O00132A.pdf

The above link is an official Honda service schedule, notice that they specify two

types of schedules depending on your driving conditions, normal conditions and

severe conditions due to climate and country.

Being that Thailand has a hot climate with stop/start conditions due to traffic

congestion, i would suggest every vehicle would fall under the severe condition

category.

Although saying that, my Honda dealer specifies that the engine oil (fully synthetic)

should be replaced every 10,000km or 6 months whichever comes first and the

oil filter every 20,000km or 12 months whichever comes first.

This is stated in my owners manual, and i also witnessed this when i took it for it's

service that they didn't change the filter on every alternate oil change.

​So according to Honda, normal conditions do not require oil filters to be replaced

with every service interval.

Honda engines obviously NEED syn to survive whistling.gif , engine longevity is really in the hands of the owner, know one else, if one changes oil and filter one is on the right track to achieve that longevity...thumbsup.gif

I agree, it's just that many owners who don't have the technical knowledge

would be non the wiser.

They would just take their car in to an authorised dealer for a service let them

do what's on the schedule, pay the bill and trust that all is fine.

The point that i'm making is that the link i posted from Honda specifies 2 different

schedules Normal & Severe, i would put Thailand driving in the severe category,

whereas my Honda dealer here in Thailand is clearly following the Normal schedule

with alternate oil filter changes.

Honda engines obviously NEED syn to survive whistling.gif , engine longevity is really in the hands of the owner, know one else, if one changes oil and filter one is on the right track to achieve that longevity...thumbsup.gif

would be non the wiser.

They would just take their car in to an authorised dealer for a service let them

The point that i'm making is that the link i posted from Honda specifies 2 different

whereas my Honda dealer here in Thailand is clearly following the Normal schedule

Why severe? Everyone gets the wrong end of the stick.. Thailand ( thats normal driving motorway roads etc ) is very light on Engines. It take only a moment for them to reach operating temperature,also low speeds driven. Germany on the autobahn its normal to run a car at 4,000 to 6000 rpm all day. You also have temperatures of down to - 10 even 20 to contend with, plus salt on the road in the winter.

I really think it's ridiculous to use more expensive oil and change it every 10000 or 15000 kms...

Whatever you dream, your cheap oil changed every 5000 kms will be better than any expensive oil changed every 10000 or 15000 kms.

So funny that people cannot understand this and still repeat the BS that they have read and that others repeat...

would be non the wiser.

Why severe? Everyone gets the wrong end of the stick.. Thailand ( thats normal driving motorway roads etc ) is very light on Engines. It take only a moment for them to reach operating temperature,also low speeds driven. Germany on the autobahn its normal to run a car at 4,000 to 6000 rpm all day. You also have temperatures of down to - 10 even 20 to contend with, plus salt on the road in the winter.

It's falls in the severe category because it's stated in the Honda link that i posted.

Look at page 136 on the right hand side it states;

Driving in hot [over 90° F

(32° C) conditions.

Extensive idling or long periods of stop-and-go driving.

I really think it's ridiculous to use more expensive oil and change it every 10000 or 15000 kms...

Whatever you dream, your cheap oil changed every 5000 kms will be better than any expensive oil changed every 10000 or 15000 kms.

So funny that people cannot understand this and still repeat the BS that they have read and that others repeat...

I really think it's even more ridiculous to put cheap oil in an engine that is designed to run on

expensive fully synthetic oil because the engine will not last very long!

Now what is funny, is your inability to understand that. laugh.png

Funny clown ! We are talking here about metallic boxes from Japan and you talk about engines designed for the best oil 5555+

If you knew what I drive you would not open it anymore...

I really think it's even more ridiculous to put cheap oil in an engine that is designed to run on

Funny clown ! We are talking here about metallic boxes from Japan and you talk about engines designed for the best oil 5555+

Now let me guess, the kind of car you drive only requires cheap oil that is changed every 5000km

hmmmm, something like this:

post-63109-0-35712500-1433869227_thumb.j

Whatever Honda says, it's nonsense not to change filters more then oil, if the filter is good, it will keep the oil good longer especially with synthetics, at some point it seems you need to take manufacturers advice dubiously as they're not in the business of keeping your current car running forever, it's just not a good long term business plan is it? The manufacturers intentionally give adequate info to keep you coming back over time to buy new cars because your old one crapped out, get just enough out of it and have built in obsolescence which has been the way of doing business for decades now. They have no real interest in your cars engine lasting for as long as it can because they want to sell new cars. They want you to get a respectable life out of it but not decades like in the past. What they say will not make your car crap out today or tomorrow but it's NOT necessarily the best for long term car life.

This is really a smart post and something abut what nobody here even the misterknowall driving mitsushit have been able to think about.

Thank you.

Whatever Honda says, it's nonsense not to change filters more then oil, if the filter is good, it will keep the oil good longer especially with synthetics, at some point it seems you need to take manufacturers advice dubiously as they're not in the business of keeping your current car running forever, it's just not a good long term business plan is it? The manufacturers intentionally give adequate info to keep you coming back over time to buy new cars because your old one crapped out, get just enough out of it and have built in obsolescence which has been the way of doing business for decades now. They have no real interest in your cars engine lasting for as long as it can because they want to sell new cars. They want you to get a respectable life out of it but not decades like in the past. What they say will not make your car crap out today or tomorrow but it's NOT necessarily the best for long term car life.

600 thb at bquick, do you really need to think about it ? Yes change all every 6 months or 5000 kms.

'kin hell ... what quality of oil do you get for that price and including the filter ... the filter will more than likely not be the same quality as manufactures. Sorry to say this but your advice is crap.

Yes and as they say,I have a bull-Dog with a dirty ass lick that!!!!

I have a 18 year old Nissan Pickup.

It changes it's own oil, I just top up, and I've had the same filter for 5 years.

We did that with a Nissan on the farm in the UK. It did over 300tk miles 100tk more than the G wagen