New UK Driving Licence changes

As from today the counterpart of the UK driving licence is no longer valid. Instead, information that was previously on this can be viewed by checking on this website:

https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence

I have tried to obtain this, using my UK DL number plus my UK NI Number. Unfortunately several attempts seem to prove that it is not obtainable. Can anyone else try and advise their experiences? I always hire a car when I visit UK, and I am concerned that the hire car company, should they require the counterpart information, (regarding any penalties, disqualifications etc) will not be available to them, and I will be prevented from hiring a car.

As today is the first day, it is possible the system is overloaded. I have tried calling DVLA and they have a message saying as much.

It would obviously be preferable to sort out any glitches before I get refused at the car hire counter.

Would it not be simpler giving the UK rental company your Thai driving license, and save having to supply all the information required online ?

Would the Thai license have to be an international one, can a farang get one?

Would it not be simpler giving the UK rental company your Thai driving license, and save having to supply all the information required online ?

Yes you can get an international driving permit, you would need to have a 5 year licence to apply, if I remember correctly they last for 1 year.

I have a UK driving licence, (because I drive in UK). I don't have a Thai driving licence, because I don't drive in Thailand. However, yes I am looking at the possibility of getting an international driver's permit - but is that feasible in Thailand with a UK driving licence?

Further to my earlier experience of the apparent mismatch of NI number and UK DL, I called NI and they confirmed that I have the correct (NI) number. The DVLA telephone line is experiencing major delays, so I will try that in a week or so, if the online site is still not accepting my correct information.

Yes you can get an international driving permit, you would need to have a 5 year licence to apply, if I remember correctly they last for 1 year.

Isn't a modern thai licence inherently an international licence? I rented a car in the UK using my thai licence before, and don't remember getting an international one first.

Yes - I thought it seemed a bit illogical to get an international permit based on a UK DL, and to use that (the international permit) in UK; it might not even be accepted...unless the car hire company didn't accept the UK DL because the counterpart was unobtainable online...

A bit circular. And mad.

I'm in the UK - just tested it (17:35 BST) and it works perfectly giving the expected information about my UK licence. I suspect that it was overloaded earlier....

Yes - I thought it seemed a bit illogical to get an international permit based on a UK DL, and to use that (the international permit) in UK; it might not even be accepted...unless the car hire company didn't accept the UK DL because the counterpart was unobtainable online...

A bit circular. And mad.

Technically, the IDP is NOT valid in the country in which it was issued because in order to get one, you MUST have a local licence and should use that.

So if you get an IDP using a UK licence, it's not valid in UK but is in Thailand and elsewhere.

And if you get an IDP using a Thai licence, it's not valid in Thailand but is in UK and elsewhere.

^^^ some car hire places still want.. But the new style Thai licence is fine with most.. I got an international permit just in case but it wasn't required. Legally though IF you have a UK licence then that should be used!

No, legally IDP is not required.

A bit circular. And mad.

Technically, the IDP is NOT valid in the country in which it was issued because in order to get one, you MUST have a local licence and should use that.

So if you get an IDP using a UK licence, it's not valid in UK but is in Thailand and elsewhere.

And if you get an IDP using a Thai licence, it's not valid in Thailand but is in UK and elsewhere.

I guess then that if... (Technically) it's a road traffic offense to not update your UK license when you move home AND you can't update your UK license with a non-UK address AND (Technically) you can't use an IDP in the UK... The only way of being fully compliant with all road traffic laws would be to use the native license from the country you're now living in.

You cannot obtain a UK driving license legally if you no longer reside in the UK !

What is the position if you have a UK licence (which lasts 10 years) but no longer reside in the UK, but have a 5 year Thai licence and reside in Thailand. Which would you use if visiting the UK?

You cannot obtain a UK driving license legally if you no longer reside in the UK !

What is the position if you have a UK licence (which lasts 10 years) but no longer reside in the UK, but have a 5 year Thai licence and reside in Thailand. Which would you use if visiting the UK?

On the website for re-newing your License it said that if you no longer reside in the UK then use the license of the country of where you are resident !

If it is still valid, I don't know if not residing in the UK invalidates the license, you have to use the UK license. If your UK license is invalid because of previous infractions you can use neither and are driving without valid license.

If it is still valid, I don't know if not residing in the UK invalidates the license, you have to use the UK license. If your UK license is invalid because of previous infractions you can use neither and are driving without valid license.

Point is that your old UK license would have your old UK address on which is technically an offense...

On the website for re-newing your License it said that if you no longer reside in the UK then use the license of the country of where you are resident !

Thanks, do you have the link?

Thanks, do you have the link?

No, it came up on the gov website after i signed in to re-new my driving license !

I'm in the UK - just tested it (17:35 BST) and it works perfectly giving the expected information about my UK licence. I suspect that it was overloaded earlier....

Yes, checked this morning, and it is now working OK, thank God.

You can rent a car in the UK using a Thai 5-year license. The 1-year Thai license is considered a 'provisional' license and is not acceptable.

Retaining a UK address solely for mail and using that for a UK driving license address while living overseas isn't 'technically an offense', it is an offense. I think the fine is 2000 quid.

It is illegal to use an IDP to drive a car, rental or otherwise in the same country that issued that IDP.

The reason the lines are busy and their website is bombed is possibly due to a surge of people like the OP, wishing to check on the new procedures. The other heavy users will be car rental desks who will now have to logon to check on the legal status of customers fronting up with only the photocard. I would assume that there will be a fair few dodgy punters who have too many points on their UKDL's and previously unable to get a set of wheels, lining up to 'try it on' with getting a rental car.

Archived