Experience with pool standing in shadow all the time?

dagling

Anybody have experience with pool standing in shadow all the time? I now have one small pool, octagonal, with a diameter of 3.5 meters, but this is mostly in the sun.
Personally, I like that the pool will cool you down, and the water is not too hot. Should not the air temperature is sufficient if one does not like it too hot?
Has designed me a house (ground floor), and appreciate your feedback, is not finished with the second floor yet.

The ground floor has a kitchen, two bathrooms and maid's room.
Surface area 20x15 meters.
post-84957-0-05238300-1433769673_thumb.j
post-84957-0-81464900-1433769676_thumb.j
post-84957-0-55998400-1433769679_thumb.j
post-84957-0-09424000-1433769683_thumb.j
post-84957-0-38043400-1433769687_thumb.j
post-84957-0-96645200-1433769691_thumb.j
post-84957-0-08304400-1433769770_thumb.j
post-84957-0-69027900-1433769774_thumb.j
Edited by dagling

A roofed over pool will always be 'cool' - shade is the number one way to control pool water temperature.

Depending on where in Thailand you are though, you might end up with water just too cold to swim in when the cooler months come - so you might want to consider a solar pool heating system.

As gamini notes, you will need far less chlorine, but you will also need exactly zero stabilizer (cyanuric acid) - so you'll need to find a chlorine supply that does not have stabilizer in it (most do), or use a salt water chlorinator.

You will also want to keep your chemistry finely balanced, as you're going to be smelling that water a lot more than an outdoor pool... you absolutely need to avoid chloramines developing or the pool might stink you out of your own house wink.png

Edited by IMHO

There is a hotel I stay at in Bangkok on a fairly regular basis. The pool gets very little sun. It is not covered, but always in the shade. From mid December to med February, it's too cold to even swim in. Very few guests use the pool during this time. I was there last month and it was still cool, but being hot outside, it was OK.

My pool gets sun a better part of the day. Right now, it's almost perfect. We never even used it in January. Too cold.

Your body temp is 37C. Your pool is much cooler that that and water cools a body very fast, 25 times faster than air. After an hour in a cold pool, many will be shivering.

Seems you will have good ventilation. A pool will increase the humidity level a fair amount, I would guess?

I think the recommendation for heating it would be a good thing to investigate. Very interesting design!!

Salt water for sure. No smell from the cholrine........

Less smell, but you still have chlorine....we are much happier after our conversion, but still a bit of chlorine smell...

Right - Salt water pools still have chlorine in them, it's just that the chlorine is injected as a gas that's generated from the salt in the water ;)

For an indoor pool that gets no direct sunlight, and have no CYA in them, chlorine should be safe at just 0.5 to 1.0PPM though - outdoor chorine pools with recommended stabilizer levels need anywhere from 4PPM to 7PPM to be effective - which is in the region you can detect it with your nose ;)

Have you looked into the possibility of using ozone to purify the water in your pool? You would not have to deal with ongoing need of adding toxic chemicals to the water, so in the long run ozone would be cheaper. And it IS a proven fact that chlorine in swimming pools is toxic, and contributes to many diseases over a period of time....plus the fact that the off gassing and smell is not the best. I absolutely refuse to swim in a chlorinated pool. ( yeah, ok, I doubt that you will be inviting me, but I'm just sayin' ) In my humble opinion, OZONE would be the way to go.

Have you looked into the possibility of using ozone to purify the water in your pool? You would not have to deal with ongoing need of adding toxic chemicals to the water, so in the long run ozone would be cheaper. And it IS a proven fact that chlorine in swimming pools is toxic, and contributes to many diseases over a period of time....plus the fact that the off gassing and smell is not the best. I absolutely refuse to swim in a chlorinated pool. ( yeah, ok, I doubt that you will be inviting me, but I'm just sayin' ) In my humble opinion, OZONE would be the way to go.

All if these alternative systems (Ozone, Bio-*****) still require an in-water sanitizer with fast kill properties - i.e. chlorine.

If you think you've swum in a pool w/out chlorine, you've either been misled, or you've been swimming in a petrie dish :P

Edited by IMHO

Salt water for sure. No smell from the cholrine........

Less smell, but you still have chlorine....we are much happier after our conversion, but still a bit of chlorine smell...

You may want to check your water balance with an advanced test kit. Chlorine smell is normally caused by the level of combined chlorine e.g. You free chlorine level is lower as your total chlorine level.

With a standard test kit (pH - Chlorine) you can test only total chlorine.

Uv light is the way to go , less expensive and easier to maintain.Ozone is also a toxic gas and must be removed from the water using a de ozone system i.e. activated charcoal.Ozone shouldn't be detectable in the water, a test should be used to check this. Ozone only kills bacteria in one pass same as UV.

If you are using ozone as a primary disinfection, you must have a residual of free chlorine in the water of 0.5 ppm. to prevent cross infection from other bathers

Important to note Ozone And UV are the only two methods of destroying the DNA of a bug call Crypto sporidium which is fairly common in areas that use ground source water.

Tests have shown that chlorine at 35 ppm will only just start to attack it.How ever a good well maintained sand filter can actually filter this bug out.

If your pool smells of chlorine no matter wether it is indoor or outdoor it is the first indicator that the pool has to much combined chlorine in it. Dilution is the only way to solve this and not by shocking it with extra chlorine. Also one of the by products of the chemical reaction taking place in the water is a form of tear gas. Nitrogen trichloride, also known as trichloramine, with the formula NCl3 .

your pool and house layout look

extremely nice and I am sure if you look after the water well you should not have any issues,except for being cool in the winter months this could be easily rectified by the use of solar heating.

Look after the water chemistry of your pool and it will pay dividends,Remember as I have said before in previous a post, the water should look good enough to drink ,if not don't go in.

my saltwater pool never smelt of chlorine.