Bangkok, What To See?

JoneL

Hi!

I am going to Thailand in December... My first time :D

I would really apperciate any info/advice.

So what I should see in Bangkok?

Some tempel or park or something else?

Just tell me what You think is the best sight in Bangkok.

And how to find that spot? :o

Thank you everyone for answering :D

I will look more carfully those links later today :D

I am staying "only" 4days in bangkok...after that going to Cha Am just to relax (and escape the Christmas hustle). So I am trying to see much as bossible in thoset 4days and hopefully have some time to do shopping also :o

should go and watch the fights at Lumpini or Ratchadamnern stadiums

Not so sure! I went once and they are severely overpriced for non Thais! A shame as they would get twice the crowd if they werent!

I went to lumpini on my first visit and it is still one of my abiding memories of Thailand, simply because I think it was my first time.

Gold fish bowl and the noise reverberating around, Thais screaming wagers, the exotic music as the fighters do their dance of respect to the four corners( I am sure someone will explain the true significance of this) and then the fight.

Fantastic, over priced maybe, particularly to a FNG but still well worth it.

Other places? what other places, pray tell. :o

Moss

Don't forget state tower, sirroco/ dome bar on upper silom road, 64th floor bar overseeing chao praya river etc. Pricey cocktail about 400 baht including tip, but worth it.

Do you think we should make table reservation for Sirocco?

Or is there normally easy to get free tables?

400baht for a drink? Do I even dare to ask how much is dinner there? :o

Don't forget state tower, sirroco/ dome bar on upper silom road, 64th floor bar overseeing chao praya river etc. Pricey cocktail about 400 baht including tip, but worth it.

Do you think we should make table reservation for Sirocco?

Or is there normally easy to get free tables?

400baht for a drink? Do I even dare to ask how much is dinner there? :o

For weekend you should book ahead in advance. Dinner prolly cost around USD$100 per person (the food is so so). My recommendation is to have dinner somewhere else then come to vertigo/sirroco for drinks.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to see something of Thailand, then I recommend the following:

1. The trip to Ayutthaya is excellent. All of the hotels can arrange this trip. Take the tour that goes by bus to Ayutthaya, and the boat back. You do not want to take the boat there, because the current is strong and the trip there takes forever. You will see some really interesting temples. As for the river, Thai life has always been linked to the river.

2. Wat Po and the Grand Palace are both in Bangkok. Yes, hire an English speaking guide. The small amount you will have to pay them is worth the price of their expertise.

3. For something of new and modern Thailand, go to the aquarium in the new Paragon shopping mall. Get off the skytrain at the Siam station and follow the sign to the Paragon shopping mall. The aquarium is really first class, and it is a good place to take photos.

4. PatPong . . .of course go there. It is very touristy now, but it is still world famous. It is safe to go there. All of the places on the street level are fine. Some of the places on the second floor should be avoided. Some of the places on the second floor over bill, and give you a very tough time.

Even if you're not into drinking, get yourself on top of the Banyan Tree Hotel to the Vertigo Bar - trousers only! Although the beer and food is mega expensive, the views are amazing:

vertigo_72dpi.jpg

Nice. Mega meaning what?

:D

VERY!

Not that difficult to work out when followed by the word 'expensive'. :o