Airport taxi surcharges to be increased

Thaivisa News

Bangkok:- Transport Minister Prajin Juntong has given a green light for the increases of surcharge for taxi services at the Suvarnabhumi International Airport and Don Mueang International Airport, he said Monday.

He said the surcharges for small taxis and large van taxis will be allowed to be increased at the rates lower than the ones proposed by a special committee studying the taxi fares at the airports.

Prajin said to prevent impact on the people, the Airports of Thailand Plc will be asked to shoulder the increases from the current surcharge rate of Bt50 for six months.

Prajit has assigned Deputy Transport Minister Arkom Termpitayapaisit and Deputy Permanent Secretary for Transport Ministry Pongchai Kasemthaweesak to work out with the Airports of Thailand as to how the surcharge rates for ordinary and van taxis should be increased.

The panel headed by Arkom proposed that the surcharge for ordinary taxis should be increased to Bt75 and van taxis to Bt95.

Nitinai Sirismatthakarn, president of the Airports of Thailand, said he has not received the official conclusion of the panel but he has been informed by Prajin that the new surcharge rates would be Bt60 and Bt80 for ordinary and van taxis respectively.

Nitinai said Prajin told him to have the Airports of Thailand shoulder the Bt10 and Bt30 increases for six months but he replied that the issue would have to be first submitted for an approval from the shareholders of the public company in line with the rules of the Stock Exchange of Thailand.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a small increase not too much 25 bt for normal and 45 bt extra for the bigger ones. I am sure the taxi drivers wanted more. This is acceptable for sure for tourists. Now they must only make sure that they always open their meter and get suspended right away when a tourist is ripped off by them.

Just a small increase not too much 25 bt for normal and 45 bt extra for the bigger ones. I am sure the taxi drivers wanted more. This is acceptable for sure for tourists. Now they must only make sure that they always open their meter and get suspended right away when a tourist is ripped off by them.

I was under the impression that the Taxi driver paid the airport 50 Baht for the rite to pick up passengers at the airport, the passengers were simple reimbursing the Taxi driver????

OK...

But with a hard hitting clamp down on Taxis that do not use their meters...

I presume the meter log times, date, mileage of all metered trips, so if someone makes a complaint and has a copy of the ticket issued at the airport the meter can be checked.

Maybe scope for buying fixed fare tickets, state your destination and you can buy fixed fare instead at the airport.

Also does GrabTaxi work at the Airport?

But I do not get why there should be one to start with.

Taxi's do not make enough, they are not forced or required to go looking for customers at the airport .

I do not think I have seen other places where taxi had a surcharge of any kind because it was airport

Taxi's do not make enough, they are not forced or required to go looking for customers at the airport .

I do not think I have seen other places where taxi had a surcharge of any kind because it was airport

Well, they do exist in other places, Madrid for example.

Correct, Singapore, San Francisco, Sydney are some of the places that spring to mind in airports I have travelled travelled through

And there are more

My understanding is that they are designed to compensate the long queuing time that the driver has to endure before picking up the fare. The theory is that if he were in the city he would be productive during that time.

Seems fair to me.

Correct, Singapore, San Francisco, Sydney are some of the places that spring to mind in airports I have travelled travelled through

And there are more

Take taxi in sydney 2 times per year and never been charged a surcharge.

HIgher rate applies to night time, but no surcharge just for a taxi.

Edited by konying

Last time my parents came, they had to pay a fixed 700 Baht to go inside Bangkok, because luggage too big....I guess it would be possible, and surely it would be possible if the normal taxi would have "normal" sized place and aren't full with the gas tank.

Go to Level 4 (departures) and take a taxi that's dropping someone off. No surcharge and the guys are (usually) happy to use the meter. Win-win.

I also use to take my taxi there.... although it is a bit tricky to pass the barrier

The last time I tried this (travelling alone) I received a verbal from one of the security guards, they have tried to stop this from happening.

Go to Level 4 (departures) and take a taxi that's dropping someone off. No surcharge and the guys are (usually) happy to use the meter. Win-win.

I also use to take my taxi there.... although it is a bit tricky to pass the barrier

As another poster mentioned we have paid the usual 700THB when requiring a large taxi to Bangkok (lets face if when you are travelling with more than two people there is no room for suitcases in the normal taxi's)

As has been stated previously this increase seems fair if it is added to the fare shown on the meter, even with this moderate surcharge metered taxis are still reasonably priced here in Thailand. I believe (but I can't swear to as I wasn't there) that there have been instances on Samui where the 50 THB surcharge has been added to the set fare (no meter) The brass neck of these thieves is breathtaking???

If this illegal overcharging/theft is to be eradicated then the severe punishment meted out to previous transgressors must be maintained and uniform, I for one will be reporting any demands for a set fare whether it is too/from an airport or not.

Tourists have the excuse of being ignorant of this rort and may well continue to pay it, all resident expats' should toe the line and refuse set fee's as it's the only way to deal with the greedy cartel's...

A 50% increase the drivers want to 75 baht is "way over the top"

A 20% increase suggested by the authorities to 60 baht is well out of line with other Government approved price increases !

Think Busses, BTS, MRT. None of these has been granted a 20% increase.

The last time I tried this (travelling alone) I received a verbal from one of the security guards, they have tried to stop this from happening.

As another poster mentioned we have paid the usual 700THB when requiring a large taxi to Bangkok (lets face if when you are travelling with more than two people there is no room for suitcases in the normal taxi's)

I travel alone and have one suitcase (large Samsonite) but it never fit in the back of a taxi due to that huge gas tank the taxi driver have fitted and off course me the stupid farang have to pay extra because of this....

Amazing Thailand

would be interesting to hear who actually gets this surcharge?

The Taxi driver ?

a fee to AOT (airport of Thailand)?

Many driver i have spoken to say the latter, but as always there is more to the story, smoke and mirror, and bribes to people

when i dont have big luggage i go Level 4 (departures) and grab one there

wai2.gif

So is there a list of prices on display at the Airport now, last time I used one it was the old ‘we don’t know” mentality, “ask the driver”…..he tried to overcharge….said “I’ll get another ticket”, He took my price…..the system has gone a long way backwards from when their where girls at the desks.

Last time my parents came, they had to pay a fixed 700 Baht to go inside Bangkok, because luggage too big....I guess it would be possible, and surely it would be possible if the normal taxi would have "normal" sized place and aren't full with the gas tank.

Problem is that if they didn't use the space in the boot for the gas tank, they would then need to be using gasoline and the difference in cost would not be economically feasible to operate the taxi, this is based on the permitted meter rates.

Of course if some manufacturer was to be granted the right to produce a special type of vehicle to be compulsory as a taxi in Thailand, then they could design a suitable vehicle with proper boot space. Of course one shouldn't think the bulk of the taxi rides in Bangkok are taken with luggage in the boot, but mainly for commuters in the city going about their normal day.

I used to do this everytime but for over a year now, they put those one-way gates up blocking access to the arriving taxis! :(

My understanding is that they are designed to compensate the long queuing time that the driver has to endure before picking up the fare. The theory is that if he were in the city he would be productive during that time.

Seems fair to me.

Very fair its only a couple of dollars

used to do it all the time security would even help push the turnstile so you could get through. Last 3 times though (in 6 months) made the trek upstairs only to find police everywhere and tow trucks taking away taxis that had been sitting there. Don't know how often this happens but the police are definitely on to it and if they are towing taxis you would think the ones willing to take the risk may have second thoughts. Worst part is you have to go all the way back down to level 1 and get in the queue with the rest of the plebs

I used to do this everytime but for over a year now, they put those one-way gates up blocking access to the arriving taxis! sad.png

Not been there for a while, but as i remembered at door 1 there was none of those one-way gates.... hi-so Thai first class, they did not want to put gates like that there....

i used to walk up there

dont know if it has changed

mate no offense but how well travelled are you? many cities I have been to have surcharges for taxis in the airport and back in Oz every city has a surcharge for a taxi pick up from the airport, which last time I was home if I remember correctly was $3 aus so nearly 75 baht and believe me you will be well over ten bucks before ya even get a couple hundred metres down the road. I reckon bangkok taxis are cheap as to be honest, before they were made to use the meter, now that the have to the end cost is a pittance and barely worth consideration too many tight a$$ penny pinchers IMHO having a whinge about nothing

would be interesting to hear who actually gets this surcharge?

The Taxi driver ?

a fee to AOT (airport of Thailand)?

Many driver i have spoken to say the latter, but as always there is more to the story, smoke and mirror, and bribes to people

If it is the AOT we should all revolt and take the train

cost of the train to the city same as the proposed taxi surcharges cheesy.gif TIT they never learn....

the train has ample space for suitcases and when at the station in city... easy to get a taxi by meter to hotel or BTS

wai2.gif

Seems fair to me.

well the fact is he is guaranteed a fare at the airport without waiting too long...where as in the city he could end up driving around for 30 minutes or stuck in traffic with an empty cab.

I used to do this everytime but for over a year now, they put those one-way gates up blocking access to the arriving taxis! sad.png

The "one-way" gates open up enough in the "wrong" direction so that you can easily slip through.

I've been through BKK twice in the last month and four times in the last six months...no police/security monitoring if passengers go through those gates to catch a taxi.