Red Bus style canopy for pick up truck

WinnieTheKhwai

Anyone know where to get a metal canopy + benches done for a pick up truck?

I prefer the style of Chiang Mai Red Bus Songthaew share taxis, though may settle for other styles (Pattaya Baht Bus style also good)

Also, any idea what the cost might be?

Pictures for easy reference, and to brighten our day:

post-64232-0-99288300-1433822004_thumb.j

post-64232-0-00479600-1433822021_thumb.j

But not opposed to other styles... I like this retro look. wink.png

1401959542-DSC0836JPG-o.jpg

I seem to recall reading somewhere ( and this may be a mis-remembrance) that if you want to add a covered enclosure to the back of an open truck you have to re-register the truck at the vehicle office

I know this doesn't directly help with getting the canopy created but might be worth bearing in mind

Go thru Mae Rim just past the turn to Mae Saa Valley on the left, you'll see a bunch of the shells. They fabricate.

Thank you!! I knew I seen it somewhere but for the life of me could not remember where.

I seem to recall reading somewhere ( and this may be a mis-remembrance) that if you want to add a covered enclosure to the back of an open truck you have to re-register the truck at the vehicle office

I know this doesn't directly help with getting the canopy created but might be worth bearing in mind

Yes, I'd need to get blue on white license plates that are also used for minivans. Or remove the benches when extending road tax. Or pay a little extra.

Winnie:facepalm:

Are you considering getting a work permit and operating one?:cheesy: :cheesy:

I already have a work permit, thought it doesn't cover being a taxi driver. (Which is among the professions prohibited to foreigners. ;) )

Thing is I regularly have 5-6 people to move, and that's a really tight squeeze in a compact passenger car or 4 door pick-up. And not everyone is cool with sitting in the back of a pick-up truck, especially not if it rains.

I could upgrade to something like a Fortuner (once the new model comes out), or just do it the local way, while adding some Chiang Mai flavor to the trip, too.

Archived