What do you wear to immigration?

LarryBird

Here are some common sense answers to the OP`s question. See examples:

I would say the "No" and the "Absolutely No" are ok if you are a tourist and are visiting immigration for a tourist visa extension. I think its ok for tourist to look like a tourist.

Slacks and a polo shirt for me. But that's just the way I am. Personally I don't care what anyone else wears. That's their business.

On the other hand, I've had some idiot foreigner stop me while walking around the moat with my shirt off. Catching 15 minutes of sun to get some natural vitamin D. That's just the way I am. And it's my business. I let the guy know where he could put his opinion, something about "where the sun don't shine". Lol

Edited by connda

I don't find it a big problem turning up in long trousers, a shirt and collar and shoes for an interview. It is what I would wear in my home country if I was going to an appointment at a government office. I'd probably be wearing a tie too.

Me too... Back home I would not consider going to a gov't office in beach wear.

No, but back home the gov't offices were not a sweltering 98 degrees, there were water coolers in the halls, you never had to arrive before 8 am, there were clean toilet facilities and usually you got your business conducted within a reasonable period of time. I think the worst "indignity" I ever suffered at a gov't office "back home" was having to park in a structure four blocks from the courthouse and walk on the snow slippery sidewalks to report for jury duty -- all the time wondering why they hadn't tended to the sidewalks yet.

I don't find it a big problem turning up in long trousers, a shirt and collar and shoes for an interview. It is what I would wear in my home country if I was going to an appointment at a government office. I'd probably be wearing a tie too.

No, but back home the gov't offices were not a sweltering 98 degrees, there were water coolers in the halls, you never had to arrive before 8 am, there were clean toilet facilities and usually you got your business conducted within a reasonable period of time. I think the worst "indignity" I ever suffered at a gov't office "back home" was having to park in a structure four blocks from the courthouse and walk on the snow slippery sidewalks to report for jury duty -- all the time wondering why they hadn't tended to the sidewalks yet.

And they paid you for your time too, Lol. laugh.png

Boy did you not grow up in the American good old South in the days before much AC.

post-232807-0-28689700-1434025762_thumb.

Poor baby!! You don't live in Kansas anymore, Dorothy!

Edited by Mapguy

Poor baby!! You don't live in Kansas anymore, Dorothy!

That was my point. We're not in Kansas anymore, which is why people must think it's OK to show up in beach wear at Thai gov't offices.

There is a Thai word, som na na. It means serves you right or you have brought your troubles on yourself.

You know Som from Nana?

Ah some ..... "I don't have a clue because I don't speak Thai and think it is superfluous humor." Good one.clap2.gif

Edited by lostoday

There is a Thai word, som na na. It means serves you right or you have brought your troubles on yourself.

You know Som from Nana?

Ah some ..... "I don't have a clue because I don't speak Thai and think it is superfluous humor." Good one.clap2.gif

"som na na"

For some reason, throwing stones in glass houses comes to mind here.

Why not work on your own Thai instead of criticising others?

You know Som from Nana?

"som na na"

For some reason, throwing stones in glass houses comes to mind here.

Why not work on your own Thai instead of criticising others?

Because the kindergarten mentality of some posters to make off color jokes about normal Thai words because they are too ignorant to acquaint themselves with at least a working knowledge of Thai before posting jokes about the language. Not everyone is a bar floozy. Try posting your pub humor in the pub forum.

you really are "lost today" ... the joke was made about "som na na" because it is not the "normal Thai word" maybe you meant expression or phrase, this being an English lingo part of the forum if you do feel the need to tranliterate some Thai try to get closer to the sounds, "som na na" does bring to mind Som from nana more than "serves you right" (som nam nah) ... best to stick to English as to forum rules...or you may get teased, som nam nahhh !

you really are "lost today" ... the joke was made about "som na na" because it is not the "normal Thai word" maybe you meant expression or phrase, this being an English lingo part of the forum if you do feel the need to tranliterate some Thai try to get closer to the sounds, "som na na" does bring to mind Som from nana more than "serves you right" (som nam nah) ... best to stick to English as to forum rules...or you may get teased, som nam nahhh !

In the context of this thread, "serves you right" or som nam nah in Thai is appropriate as we are talking about Thailand and Thai immigration and it is an expression you might hear from Thai people about your dress going to a government office.

If you want to make a joke about me trying to help a person who does not know how to dress or act in Thailand that is your prerogative. Som nam nah is a normal Thai expression it you want to grammar kill me about using "word" instead of expression and something I would expect.

Going to immigration in shorts and singlet and sandals smelling of sweat and having problems with your reports you may hear from Thai people, "som nam nah." Now you know what they mean.

If you think my advice is a joke, "up to you." If you think I'm lost and you are right on with your jokes, that is something I would expect as many people on Thai Visa get insulted when trying to help others. That's why so little good advice is given here. One never knows when a good intention will be smacked down with jokes and grammar crap.

Forgive me. When you need advice, I'll remember to hold my tongue.

However thanks for the correction it is som nam nah. It was a typing error in my part.

It was simple offhand remark that might have helped someone. Some guy whose main reference to Thailand was an area of prostitution decided to draw a parallel and try and make a joke with what I meant as a helpful thought. It just ticked me off. I should have just let it go. It serves me right for not considering the source.smile.png

Edited by lostoday