Prayut 'committed' to road map to democracy

webfact

POLITICS
Prayut 'committed' to road map to democracy

THE NATION

30261997-02_big.jpg

PM says preparations on course for handover by next May

BANGKOK: -- PRIME MINISTER Prayut Chan-o-cha yesterday dismissed calls for perpetuating his government in power for two more years, saying he would abide by the country's road map for democratic reform.

"I have not yet changed the schedule. Things will be done by next April or May. If we need a referendum [for the draft charter], it will take another three or four months, and a bit more time for the organic laws," he said.

"If you want an early election, you have to pass the new constitution quickly," he told reporters.

All agencies were ordered to conclude their reform tasks by April so that their jobs could be handed over to the next government, he said, noting that the reform agenda needed to be pushed along constantly.

The new constitution must be passed by the National Reform Council first and if a referendum is required, it must also pass that.

"After the plebiscite, there will be an election," he said.

"This is my timeline, and if anyone wants to make changes, they should propose an amendment to the provisional charter," he said.

The prime minister needed to reiterate his timeline and "road map to democracy" after moves by his supporters on the reform council to give the government and junta two more years to carry out their reform plans.

"I didn't seize power just to perpetuate [my] power. I'm bored of using power. I became familiar with using power during my entire military career and four years as Army chief. But it was necessary then since I was the commander," he said.

Pro-junta monk Phra Buddha Issara submitted a petition signed by 50,000 people for Prayut to remain prime minister for two more years to "reform the country and bring about national stability".

The abbot of Ornoi Temple handed the list of 50,000 names to PM's Office Minister ML Panadda Diskul to support an amendment of the provisional charter of 2014 to allow a plebiscite on whether Prayut should extend his term for two years to restore peace and order and crack down on corruption.

The monk said he was not confident that an elected government would accomplish the reform goals, but two more years would be enough to "reform" the country.

He also supported the establishment of a "National Morality Assembly" and a "Civic Assembly", as stipulated in the draft charter, saying these bodies would allow public participation in the checks and balances mechanism.

Phra Buddha Issara led 200 people to submit copies of the petition to Thienchay Kiranandana, chairman of the National Reform Council, and Surachai Liengboonlertchai, first deputy president of the National Legislative Assembly, to push for the same objectives.

Paiboon Nititawan, the member of the National Reform Council who floated the idea of perpetuation of the junta in power, said that as a member of the Constitution Drafting Committee, he would suggest that the CDC consider whether it should add more provisions in regard to the referendum and the date of a general election.

Prayut said he was unaware of any move for a referendum to endorse his remaining in power.

"I don't know. If they want to do that, let them do it. I don't need to give any instructions."

Like Prayut, Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan disagreed with Paiboon's proposal, saying the government would proceed with reform in line with the "road map" and the temporary charter.

"I don't know how the government could continue, as the constitution does not say anything about that.

"I don't want to talk about this any more," he said when asked if many opinion polls indicated that people wanted to government to continue running the country.

Maj-General Sansern Kaewkamnerd, a deputy government spokesman, urged reporters to stop asking questions related to the perpetuation of junta power, since the prime minister does not want to deal with the issue any more.

Prayut has made it clear on occasion that he does not want to hold on to power any longer, Sansern said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Prayut-committed-to-road-map-to-democracy-30261997.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-06-10

I understand the government is considering an adaptation of this song as secondary anthem. They will of course be replacing the word Camelot with Thailand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfGpVcdqeS0

apologies for the video not being embedded, it appears that I have lost the fine art of embedding youtube clips

Edited by canuckamuck

he wouldn't recognize democracy even if it were camouflaged as a tank... coffee1.gif

Would not expect any other reply from you, same old stuff, not wanting to know, no matter what happens here,improvements or whatever, better you have PTP style democracy it worked wonders, Thats why we are in the hole now trying to get out.

if you was not a PTP lover---then for gods sake give the PM some time, Is negative your only stance ?? lets get sorted first, were only 1 year in battling the aftermath, together with the bad world economic situ.

I live in RED (was red) area, and life is far better now---so keep having your ELECTION grumble, military out stance. ha ha ha let it go go with the flow.

he wouldn't recognize democracy even if it were camouflaged as a tank... coffee1.gif

Would not expect any other reply from you, same old stuff, not wanting to know, no matter what happens here,improvements or whatever, better you have PTP style democracy it worked wonders, Thats why we are in the hole now trying to get out.

if you was not a PTP lover---then for gods sake give the PM some time, Is negative your only stance ?? lets get sorted first, were only 1 year in battling the aftermath, together with the bad world economic situ.

I live in RED (was red) area, and life is far better now---so keep having your ELECTION grumble, military out stance. ha ha ha let it go go with the flow.

My life hasn't changed at all really, different for many Thais I would say, They cannot show any descent or even speak of opposition to the Junta. I think we'd find that pretty frustrating if that happens in our country and foreigners were saying "Things have got better"

Be fair, same old stuff from you too. If you want to support the PM to the extent you do that's up to you but no need to criticise those who don't and you don't like it. Like everyone else I have my own opinion on things and will not change it just because others demand.

I too live in a red area and although it's not obvious now there's no way I'd say it isn't there bubbling below the surface.

My life hasn't changed at all really, different for many Thais I would say, They cannot show any descent or even speak of opposition to the Junta. I think we'd find that pretty frustrating if that happens in our country and foreigners were saying "Things have got better"

Good for you---if life hasn't changed----why is it different for MANY Thais ?? many meaning a good few ??? no one at all is jailed or put to brain washing methods UNLESS they be extreme persons---please do not try to give a completely false impression here-----it is people like you that are anti PM that land in trouble, constructive criticism is fine......But you will come up with the odd isolated incident to back up your propaganda----get real things are never perfect in any country, why are you bashing for the sake of it.

"Would not expect any other reply from you, same old stuff" Say's the person saying the same old stuff.. I remember you telling me to give him more time (in fairness to you though, that was only a couple of months after he illegally seized power) and here we are a year down the road and he's done nothing except change laws so he has total and absolute power and can never be charged with anything. He did get motorbike taxis wearing same coloured vests for a little while and he has managed to bring politically motivated charges against any politician who isn't licking his ass but he still hasn't tackled Thailand's biggest issue. Pricing of lottery tickets

It isn’t often that I comment on the current Government remarks because until now I have given the PM and Ministers the benefit of the doubt.

However I start to wonder now if I was wrong. The comment “If you want an early election, you have to pass the new constitution quickly”, doesn’t fill me with confidence that we are on the march into democracy. The new constitution and the appointed institution it supports will, from what I have heard and read, make sure that unelected bodies will have the power to overturn the decisions made in a future parliament by the elected members of the public. In my eyes it resembles the democracy that is exercised in the UN Security Council where five members have a veto right to overturn decisions made by the majority of the council; not really an example how democracy should function.

It resembles in my view a stick and carrot policy that says give me the constitution I need ensuring that it doesn’t matter what the outcome of the next elections will be, since the agencies created allow to overturn laws that will cut the power of the groups that have created the new constitution.

A constitution that without a public discussion and written by appointed ‘Experts’ is pushed through on the basis to grant only elections if a plebiscite is in favour for it isn’t a democratic way. It is only another way of causing a rift in society and laying the foundation for troubles, in years to come.

"I live in RED (was red) area, and life is far better now". Pray supply us with specifics so we don't consider this rubbish. Thanking you in advance for your intelligent attention to this matter.

Good for you---if life hasn't changed----why is it different for MANY Thais ?? many meaning a good few ??? no one at all is jailed or put to brain washing methods UNLESS they be extreme persons---please do not try to give a completely false impression here-----it is people like you that are anti PM that land in trouble, constructive criticism is fine......But you will come up with the odd isolated incident to back up your propaganda----get real things are never perfect in any country, why are you bashing for the sake of it.

Ginjang mate extreme mean's descent in any form , . 4 or 5 people arrested for protesting the anniversary of the coup. They have to get on with their lives and are doing so. You really cannot see that it is different for Thais mate. Well think about this for the fufure , If things get really bad with repression and political arrests , you and me can leave , they cant

" People like Me" I don't give a toss about whose in charge ,Democracy speaks , The country I was brought up in sneered at and fought Military Dictators , So just because you've jumped sides don't start pulling peoples views into question. You've just actually said that because in your word s I am "Anti PM i will end up in trouble" ,so a threat of oppression. suppression of freedom of speech and political opposition and you've just admitted it yourself

Edited by ExPratt

Be fair, same old stuff from you too. If you want to support the PM to the extent you do that's up to you but no need to criticise those who don't and you don't like it. Like everyone else I have my own opinion on things and will not change it just because others demand.

I too live in a red area and although it's not obvious now there's no way I'd say it isn't there bubbling below the surface.

The liberals in England are also bubbling below the surface.

The same stuff from me is trying to support what we have here. You stay with the minority thinking on here it's not my business, I do not like it that much BUT am going along with it as long as it is bettering the last MOB,

As for my comments on the other poster who stated the PM wouldn't recognise democracy etc-----all I can say to him and YOU, if you have the impression that the PTP-Shins were democratic then you have to look how they governed NOT how they were elected----2 different things completely.

Got news for you, EP, "many" Thais have no idea what is happening politically in this country, and many of them would have little reason to show any descent to the Junta, and do you know why ? The bloody junta has not done anything to turn their lives upsidedown !

You probably know a lot more than 95% of the population when it comes to politics. Or do you think rice farmers walk around all day with their noses jammed into the political section of The Nation or the BKK Post ?

There are certain things I am not allowed to say in my country, things that could get me into big trouble. But guess what ? Just because something is forbidden does not mean I have to say it.

It must kill the anti-junta crowd on this forum to know that the majority of their crap falls on deaf ears, that there are actually Thai people out there that are ok with the way things are at the moment.

Not everyone has to have innocent people being killed on the streets by paid terrorists to be happy politically. thumbsup.gif

"I don't know how the government could continue, as the constitution does not say anything about that.

Pretty sure the previous constitution didn't say anything about coups but that didn't seem to matter too much last year.

good point.

I would say that when a new government is elected with a mandate, they do their best to make sure that the lives of their citizens DO change, where as when a group usurps power undemocratically, they will do everything to make sure that the people feel like nothing has changed... except for the feel-good propaganda topics they put out there...

The real problem is nobody in this government has yet proven they know what Democracy is.

Not true, they quickly recognized and abolished democratic institutions after the coup.

I would say that they cloaked themselves in the organs of a democratic system... usurping the symbols and functions of democracy just as they usurped the right to self-governance.