Suu Kyi urged to play a role in solving the Rohingya problem

webfact

IRREGULAR MIGRATION
Suu Kyi urged to play a role in solving the Rohingya problem

Pratch Rujivanarom
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- EXPERTS on international relations and immigration have urged Aung San Suu Kyi to take part in campaigning to return citizenship and rights to the Burmese Rohingya.

They said she was a Nobel Peace Prize winner and held a powerful position in Myanmar.

They also suggested that Thailand and Asean countries work to convince Myanmar not to export the Rohingya problem to other countries and to solve it at origin by recognising the Rohingya as Myanmar citizens and protecting their rights.

The suggestions for solving transnational human trafficking and Rohingya boat people problems were discussed in the public forum held by the Institute of Security and International Studies (ISIS) on the topic "Asia's New 'Boat People' Crisis: Regionalisation, regulation, regionalism" at Chulalongkorn University yesterday. Gwen Robinson, ISIS Thailand Senior Fellow, commented that Aung San Suu Kyi had acted as a politician more than a Nobel Peace Prize winner by remaining silent on the Royingya problem.

"The upcoming Myanmar general election is near, so it can be expected no politician will mention anything about giving citizenship to the Rohingya minority," Gwen said.

She explained that the Rohingya problem was a very sensitive issue within Myanmar because of radical Buddhist activism, which was spreading religious conflict between majority Buddhist Burmese and the Muslim Rohingya.

"The Myanmar domestic political circumstance - which is dominated by a 75 per cent Buddhist majority - almost ensures we will not see any significant action out of the government or anyone - including Aung San Suu Kyi, the one voice in Myanmar who might have the moral authority to speak out and comment," she said.

Former Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya also said that he was deeply disappointed with the silence of Aung San Suu Kyi, as she should be a protector of human rights and democracy.

"As the Nobel Prize winner, she should have done more than this [as a politician]. She should promote human rights and democracy not only in Myanmar but around the world," Kasit said.

He urged nine Asean countries, United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) and the International Organisation for Migration (IOM) to pressure Burmese ambassadors around the world and at the UN to tackle the Rohingya question. It was the country's responsibility to give nationality and rights to those people and not to export problems to neighbouring countries, he said.

The President of the Burmese Rohingya Association in Thailand, Maung Kyaw Nu, said all Rohingya refugees were willing to go home.

"If the Myanmar government recognised our people and gave [us] our rights, the problem would be solved," Maung said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Suu-Kyi-urged-to-play-a-role-in-solving-the-Rohing-30261993.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-06-10

The Institute of Security and International Studies (ISIS) could be due a name change?

Suu Kyi has been one of the most dissapointing politicians of our generation. All the hype and potential and as soon as she gets out of house arrest she goes and joins the junta. Unbelievable. The only thing she has done in recent years that was impressive was to make her boyfriend swim across her lake in the night to clean her pipes.

Hasn't she made it clear she's not interested ?

Only a couple of weeks ago she angrily defended herself saying she's not a humanitarian she's a politician, so there's no way she will upset her Buddhist power base.

Irrespective of the rights and wrongs of the situation, Rohingya citizenship etc. she can't even be bothered to call for calm.

Edited by NongKhaiKid

She's a politician first and foremost. After being sidelined by house arrest for 20 years she still has political ambition. It would be political suicide for her to show any sympathy for the Rohinja who are detested by the majority of Bhuddist Burmese.

She's a politician first and foremost. After being sidelined by house arrest for 20 years she still has political ambition. It would be political suicide for her to show any sympathy for the Rohinja who are detested by the majority of Bhuddist Burmese.

Yes, sadly this is true and she has been shown to be as shallow as most politicians. I could understand her playing it carefully so she could do more when/if she gets to power. But to not even call for calm or understanding? Ethnic cleansing is far bigger than one person's desire for power. She's a Nobel Peace Prize winner for f---'s sake!

She's all over the BBC this morning for her "historic" visit to China. She has a fantastic opportunity to do something great for mankind. If she doesn't she should have the prize withdrawn (along with Obama come to that).

Yes, sadly this is true and she has been shown to be as shallow as most politicians. I could understand her playing it carefully so she could do more when/if she gets to power. But to not even call for calm or understanding? Ethnic cleansing is far bigger than one person's desire for power. She's a Nobel Peace Prize winner for f---'s sake!

She's all over the BBC this morning for her "historic" visit to China. She has a fantastic opportunity to do something great for mankind. If she doesn't she should have the prize withdrawn (along with Obama come to that).

And the BBC are lauding her as a pro -democracy opposition leader and humanitarian.

It's not her problem. It's the Bangladesh government's problem .... send them to Bangladesh.

150 arrived back in Bangladesh yesterday I see on TV. <snip>

Do you work for a Myanmar government funded troll company?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/apr/02/putin-kremlin-inside-russian-troll-house

Don't think its just about political suicide, saying the wrong thing at this time could easily get her locked up again, she is on a very fine line here.

The military would dearly love to have her out of the way before the election for she is the one who could, and probably will, lead her party to a majority after the election.

If she came out now and spoke on behalf of the Rohingya she could not only be locked up but her party could be banned from the election. Even if that did not happen her party could lose a lot of support and a position of power in a new parliament.

Her speaking out or not could well be a case of moving democracy forward or going back to full military rule.

After the election she should be in a more secure position so wait till then before casting stones.

Taking a stance on Behalf of the Rohingya is political suicide in Myanmar.

Yes, that is why I agree with Robby nz, it is only fair to wait until she is in a position to actually do something to judge her position.

Throwing all she's been through away for a good but futile gesture is of no benefit to anyone.

Don't think its just about political suicide, saying the wrong thing at this time could easily get her locked up again, she is on a very fine line here.

The military would dearly love to have her out of the way before the election for she is the one who could, and probably will, lead her party to a majority after the election.

If she came out now and spoke on behalf of the Rohingya she could not only be locked up but her party could be banned from the election. Even if that did not happen her party could lose a lot of support and a position of power in a new parliament.

Her speaking out or not could well be a case of moving democracy forward or going back to full military rule.

After the election she should be in a more secure position so wait till then before casting stones.

Good point. Let's see what she does.

Taking a stance on Behalf of the Rohingya is political suicide in Myanmar.

---------------------------

I just heard a commentary on that subject from the BBC world service yesterday and they said exactly the same thing.

Truth of the matter is that there are a few influential Buddhist monks who are making themselves politically powerful and also wealthy leading the hatred against the Rohingya.

As I said long ago, the core of the whole problem is land ownership and land rights among two hostile and poverty stricken groups.

But to even suggest that in Myanmar is impossible these days.

Even for someone with her status.

Although no set date has been announced the Junta have promised elections at the end of October beginning of November. I doubt very much we shall hear anything from her about the Rohinja before the elections (if they ever take place that is, with Juntas you never know).

Depending on how well she does in the vote we may hear something along the lines of condemnation of violence (I hope we do).

Other than that I doubt she will try and improve the Rohinja plight, there's far too much bad feeling against them in Burma at present.

Edited by Toknarok

If everyone in Burma hates the Rohingya, and she is Burmese, why should she be different? She probably would prefer to see them kicked back into Bangladesh but just daren't say so.

To help her out, there is one solution for this: for Burma to transfer a strip of land by the border to Bangladesh for the Rohingya to populate with new towns. Some upheaval but solves the problem.

It's not her problem. It's the Bangladesh government's problem .... send them to Bangladesh.

No, the Rohingya are Burmese or at least citizens of Burma or whatever the military elite there are calling the country now.

Edited by Bluespunk

No, the Rohingya are Burmese or at least citizens of Burma or whatever the military elite there are calling the country now.

Actually the Rohingya are not Burmese. The Burmese are a distinct ethnic group that makes up around 68% of the population of Myanma. In fact that is one of the reasons the name of the country was changed to be more inclusive of the other groups such as the Shan, Karen etc.

Also the Rohingya are not considered citizens by the majority of the population. That is one of the main problems.

The Institute of Security and International Studies (ISIS) could be due a name change?

Suu Kyi has been one of the most dissapointing politicians of our generation. All the hype and potential and as soon as she gets out of house arrest she goes and joins the junta. Unbelievable. The only thing she has done in recent years that was impressive was to make her boyfriend swim across her lake in the night to clean her pipes.

She is the daughter of the other general....She run around and asked for sanctions that killed thousands if not millions of people because lack of supply in the hospitals.

She is not worse or better than the junta, she only had the public relations supplied from USA and she looks nice.

Actually the Rohingya are not Burmese. The Burmese are a distinct ethnic group that makes up around 68% of the population of Myanma. In fact that is one of the reasons the name of the country was changed to be more inclusive of the other groups such as the Shan, Karen etc.

Also the Rohingya are not considered citizens by the majority of the population. That is one of the main problems.

They are as much citizens of the country as any other cultural group.

She's a coward plain and simple!

She is surely no coward. But she had very bad advisers who were easily bought and then she was politically outmaneuvered by the junta and perhaps she too was bought by the western corpratocracy once the junta rulers decided to bring in the west to offset the rising influence of the Chinese. I thought it was bad news when she was, literally, embraced by Hillary Clinton and then I gave up all hope once she was willing to stand on the same podium to accept an award along with Henry Kissinger from the Atlantic Council in 2012. Today she is a political footnote and few visiting politicians to Burma even bother to meet with her. Today she is just an ordinary politician and it would be political suicide for any politician in Burma to speak out for the Rohingyas.

She's a coward plain and simple!

She is surely no coward. But she had very bad advisers who were easily bought and then she was politically outmaneuvered by the junta and perhaps she too was bought by the western corpratocracy once the junta rulers decided to bring in the west to offset the rising influence of the Chinese. I thought it was bad news when she was, literally, embraced by Hillary Clinton and then I gave up all hope once she was willing to stand on the same podium to accept an award along with Henry Kissinger from the Atlantic Council in 2012. Today she is a political footnote and few visiting politicians to Burma even bother to meet with her. Today she is just an ordinary politician and it would be political suicide for any politician in Burma to speak out for the Rohingyas.

She is still held in high regard by many millions of people and is mentioned in the same way as Nelson Mandela was, I can only say I am personally disappointed beyond belief that she is shying away from this. Her lack of action on this is cowardly and until she intervenes in one way or another, I will continue to be appalled.

She is still held in high regard by many millions of people and is mentioned in the same way as Nelson Mandela was, I can only say I am personally disappointed beyond belief that she is shying away from this. Her lack of action on this is cowardly and until she intervenes in one way or another, I will continue to be appalled.

I would guess that a lot of people are not aware consequences of her silence. Speaking up might give her 'big face' for the rest of the world, but in her own country that would be the end of her political career, as has already been said a few times in this thread.

I wonder if the Nobel committee, or any of the other entities that have heaped awards on her (see her wiki page) would approach her, or even take back their awards.

If it doesn't have a president's chair at the end ASSK isn't interested. One of the greatest cons of the 20th century.

It's been very obvious for many years that ASSK is only interested in regaining the president's chair that she see's as her birthright following her father's disastrous attempt at running Burma. If you don't understand that, Google it.

She's the leader of the Burmans, and that's all she'll ever be. Not a leader for the entire country. No interest in democracy or inclusiveness. Recent threats to boycott the elections if the Constitution isn't changed in her favour show what a shallow, withered, bitter and tunnel visioned hag this woman is.

Your lack of education and knowledge regarding the Rohingya and Rakhine State is astounding given how easy it is to Google information these days.

They are as much citizens of the country as any other cultural group.

I agree with you. My point was they are not considered citizens by the government or many of the people so this has been denied them.