A 30 day visa doesn't equate to 29 days in my book !

my question is, has this ever happened to any of you and what did or would you do about it ?

scenario

last night took my passport out to check and make sure what day my 30 day visa runs out. as i always do i checked the stamp, then proceeded to fill out all the details ( saves time instead of doing it at the actual border ) something was bugging me about the dates though, so i decided to check on the calendar and sure enough after checking and then double checking the stamps only added up to a total of 29 days. the 13th of May until the 11th of June, right ?

the thing is, this has happened to me before some 10 or so years back on the Trat border, where i ended up having a bit of a heated discussion with a border official trying to show him that his maths didn't add up. only to be saved by his superior officer who came out from his office to see what all the commotion was about and then reprimanded the junior in a very loss of face kind of way.

so now i am in two minds as to what to do this time around. this visa was issued on the Aran/Poipet Cambodian border. they are a stony faced bunch of so and so's out that way at the best of times and having been here a few years now and learnt it's not a particular wise thing to do in making government employees look a tad silly in their own back yard i'm not sure i want to go down that route. but then again i am one of those people that like like to act on principal and if i know something is wrong i will stick to my guns. besides i don't particularly want to pay a 500 baht overstay fine for a mistake that is not my own doing and plus i have made a prior engagement to meet up with a friend in BKK after waiting a very long time to actually see this person i do not want to appear rude by cancelling.

what to do then, what says you ?

^ many apologies folks !

my only defense being this cruddy calendar that was given to me by my brother in law, a Mercedes Benz one too !

it has the 31st of May up in the top left hand corner of the calendar instead of down near the bottom next to the 30th. i guess the way the thing has been designed and layed out it would have messed up the format in which they print the thing. ie you would have 6 columns instead of 5 across, if you get my gist.

plus the fact that you tend to lose track of time/days out here and i never was any good at remembering that rhyme about how many days there are in each month.

sorry. wai.gif

anyway while we are on the subject, has it ever happened to anyone before, the being short changed of days i mean on your visa ?

Edited by tigerfish

^ many apologies folks !

my only defense being this cruddy calendar that was given to me by my brother in law, a Mercedes Benz one too !

it has the 31st of May up in the top left hand corner of the calendar instead of down near the bottom next to the 30th. i guess the way the thing has been designed and layed out it would have messed up the format in which they print the thing. ie you would have 6 columns instead of 5 across, if you get my gist.

plus the fact that you tend to lose track of time/days out here and i never was any good at remembering that rhyme about how many days there are in each month.

sorry. wai.gif

anyway while we are on the subject, has it ever happened to anyone before, the being short changed of days i mean on your visa ?

Well, OK.....but the month of May always had 31 days in it.

And the calendar design is pretty much standard for a month that has 31 days, the 1st of the month is a Friday or Saturday, and the calendar starts from a Sunday and runs to Saturday from left to right.

Your next problem is in August. blink.png

post-124914-0-04166200-1433901680_thumb.

Edited by Gsxrnz
  • Like 1

It is your responsibility, and a very good idea, to check the dates stamped in your passport whenever and wherever it is done.

I once got a stamp that was 30 days short of my 9o days.

I pointed it out ( nicely ) to the immigration officer and he corrected it for me.

Once you have left the premises.....good luck!

Is one day that big of an issue for you?

I usually go in abut a week early, just incase there are any complications to deal with.

I would never go in on the last day available.

It is not a perfect system.

I have been given reporting dates that fall on holidays when the immigration office is not even open.

It pays to check in advance and plan ahead.

• Like 1

I use this calculator as it also allows the option to include the start & stop date - timeanddate

There is a date calculator included with every copy of "WINDOWS" !

1.Open the calculator

2. Press "view"

3. Select "Standard" and "Date Calculation" from the drop down menu

Use it !

Edited by nzexpat
  • Like 2

I usually go in abut a week early, just incase there are any complications to deal with.

I have been given reporting dates that fall on holidays when the immigration office is not even open.

no one day isn't an issue for me and as stated earlier in the thread the only issue i had was that i had made a prior arrangement to meet up with someone.

also if i were here on a longer stay this time around i would have made different arrangements about visas, but seeing as i'm only here on a 3 month extended holiday seeing family and catching up with friends it ain't that big a deal. so i decided to just do a couple of border hops across to Cambodia and back.

'It is not a perfect system.

I have been given reporting dates that fall on holidays when the immigration office is not even open."

For things like 90 day reports and 30 day extensions, I believe (despite what it may say) that the date stamped is the actual 30th or 90th day. Deciding when best to go into immigrations or exit the country (no holiday closures at the borders) is left to you to plan, otherwise people would be up in arms about being only stamped in for 28 days in some cases or crowing about how they were allowed 92 days to report.

Edited by Suradit69

I use this calculator as it also allows the option to include the start & stop date - timeanddate

1.Open the calculator

2. Press "view"

Use it !

I'll stick with timeanddate. If the op entered his dates in the win calc he would got 29 days, the same error he reported. The timeanddate reminds you if you need to include the end dates.

• Like 1

1.Open the calculator

2. Press "view"

Use it !

I'll stick with timeanddate. If the op entered his dates in the win calc he would got 29 days, the same error he reported. The timeanddate reminds you if you need to include the end dates.

Interesting and something I had not noted previously !

I will have a look at timeanddate

Thank you

It is your responsibility, and a very good idea, to check the dates stamped in your passport whenever and wherever it is done.

I once got a stamp that was 30 days short of my 9o days.

I pointed it out ( nicely ) to the immigration officer and he corrected it for me.

Once you have left the premises.....good luck!

Its not hard to fix even when you have left the premises, I have in the past been stamped in for 30 days and I am on a work extension just means a trip to your local immigration, if there is a mistake they will fix it