Apple and iStuff...

baboon

At the risk of making even more enemies than I have on the news forums, here goes:

I was recently offered an iPad mini 3 at a substantial discount while in the U.K. and decided to take the plunge as there are so many folk out there who rave about Apple and their products.

My thought after a few weeks? What is all the bloody fuss about? I'm not saying it isn't good, but it is not that great either. Yes it has a few bells and whistles, but I don't find it all that much better than my Nexus 7, battery life excepted.

I also find iOS sort of fiddly and fussy too, whereas with Android you just type in your email and off you go.

Is it just me or does anyone else out there find Apple seriously overrated? Is it perhaps just because I use tablets more or less just for browsing, emails, Netflix and poker so I am not getting the best out of it? Help me out here, people...

I have had i-pads and currently have a nexus tablet which I find far better to be honest, my only current criticism of android is the 5.0 OS, its crap slowed down the tablet, crashed a lot etc and it got to the point where I got a buddy who is a bit a of a computer nerd to delete the 5.0 OS and put it back to a previous version of the OS and I am happy again with the Nexus

Overrated maybe

Overpriced probably....but i prefer iThingies over any other brand. I have them all, from iPhone up to an iMac. Gonna treat myself to an iPhone6+ soon as poss, and pass my iPhone5 on to my gf, coz i'm generous like that..lol.

I bought a Samsung Galaxy Grand2 as a 'stop-gap', what a load of <deleted> that is, pretty good camera though, but that's all

In time you will learn to love it, took me 2 ys to get into my iPad 2 now i have the iPad air and its great but battery life nowhere near as good as my previous iPad having said that its light as a feather and great for traveling.

For mail you need to set up your email address or 2 or 3 in it then no more need to search safari for your email...i suspect your just not switched on about it and what it can do....if you have iPhone and mac there now all linked, can take a phone call on your pad, iMessage too.

One thing most humans forget that bag Apple is that your paying for a premium item, they last and last, also the resale of them kills everyone else by a mile.

Also, the keyboards on the iPhone/iPads are a 100 times better than others. Dom't makw so manr musrakes pn iPsds...lol

Can't say as I found the keyboard any better or worse than the keyboards on the Nexus 7 or even the Tesco Hudl, for that matter...

In time you will learn to love it, took me 2 ys to get into my iPad 2 now i have the iPad air and its great but battery life nowhere near as good as my previous iPad having said that its light as a feather and great for traveling.

For mail you need to set up your email address or 2 or 3 in it then no more need to search safari for your email...i suspect your just not switched on about it and what it can do....if you have iPhone and mac there now all linked, can take a phone call on your pad, iMessage too.

One thing most humans forget that bag Apple is that your paying for a premium item, they last and last, also the resale of them kills everyone else by a mile.

Oh certainly there is nothing wrong with them, they are nice devices and as said, I am well impressed with the battery life - it was just that I was led to believe it was like upgrading Chitty Chitty Bang Bang to a Rolls Royce in each and every aspect, which it clearly isn't, to me anyway...

Thanks for all your responses so far, by the way.

In reality, Apple should have been able to reduce the price of the iPad by a lot now, but then again, why drop the price if that still won't encourage more sales? Tablet sales are really slowing down, as they are being displaced by phablets.

That said, where you will find the most value out of any tablet is in the apps that you use, not the device itself.

Apple does still have the edge on apps, if nothing else, just because their app store is a lot safer place to be - all apps are screened for both quality and security before you can possibly download them. For example, you're not going to discover that an app you just installed has full access to your contacts, photos and other personal information it has no business accessing, or that the app crashes incessantly or just simply doesn't work at all, because it's not actually compatible with your flavor of Android device.

Sometimes, the value might come from the accessories available for it too. For example, if you need your tablet to be rugged and waterproof, there's a Lifeproof case for every iPad sold. If you're a music lover, virtually all name-brand docks support Apple devices almost exclusively - Androids are most often relegated to using lower quality bluetooth audio. It's also worth mentioning that the sound that comes out of the headphone/line jack on Apple's ranks up there with audiophile quality hi-fi components. For some people it might just be the range of fashion covers - for others they might want highly specialized covers/docks - all of which there is often just no Android equivalent to.

Just bought a ASUS tablet because it was on reduced price in Big C and is similar ,i believe , to the Nexus - it okay for what ineed a tablet for and hell of a lot better than the 3 ipods i have for music just by being able to play FLAC and far better battery life.(i get little more than an hour out of the newest ipod) I really can't believe apple is audophile quality as stated in aprevious post.unless audiophile has a different definition in apple world . We have ipads and i phones where i work and they are definately not suitable for what is intended in a business world.in fact they are absolutly hopless but i suspect sombody in IT department must have had an interest in promoting apple.. Apple is good if you need to cruise facebook and twitter but as always it is horses for courses .

Just bought a ASUS tablet because it was on reduced price in Big C and is similar ,i believe , to the Nexus - it okay for what ineed a tablet for and hell of a lot better than the 3 ipods i have for music just by being able to play FLAC and far better battery life.(i get little more than an hour out of the newest ipod) I really can't believe apple is audophile quality as stated in aprevious post.unless audiophile has a different definition in apple world . We have ipads and i phones where i work and they are definately not suitable for what is intended in a business world.in fact they are absolutly hopless but i suspect sombody in IT department must have had an interest in promoting apple.. Apple is good if you need to cruise facebook and twitter but as always it is horses for courses .

The worst iPod (Shuffle) gets 15 hours music playback time - the Nano gets 30 hours, the Touch gets 40 hours. Something is very, very wrong if you're only getting one hour. Perhaps what you're talking about is a 13+ year old gen 1 ipod? The newer ones are significantly improved devices.

When comparing SQ, are you actually encoding those FLAC's to Apple Lossless? My bet is no - the fact is, the science is indisputable - unless your one of those audiophiles that believe that added distortion and harmonics improve sound.

If you're not getting audiophile levels of sound quality out of one, the problem is the media, a faulty or very very old device, or something further down the signal chain (bad signal level mismatch, faulty cable etc).

Edit: actually, upon re-reading I think you've either got a copy device, or you're just trolling tongue.png

The worst iPod (Shuffle) gets 15 hours music playback time - the Nano gets 30 hours, the Touch gets 40 hours. Something is very, very wrong if you're only getting one hour. Perhaps what you're talking about is a 13+ year old gen 1 ipod? The newer ones are significantly improved devices.

When comparing SQ, are you actually encoding those FLAC's to Apple Lossless? My bet is no - the fact is, the science is indisputable - unless your one of those audiophiles that believe that added distortion and harmonics improve sound.

If you're not getting audiophile levels of sound quality out of one, the problem is the media, a faulty or very very old device, or something further down the signal chain (bad signal level mismatch, faulty cable etc).

Edit: actually, upon re-reading I think you've either got a copy device, or you're just trolling tongue.png

The ipod Nano is about 7 months old but possibly a refurbished one because i got it from a frequent flyers award program but it also turns itself on because it has no lock like the older models. i can charge it and it will still only last about an hour . The new one is a piece of crap and little wonder nobody wants them when a phone does the same thing Apple tries to flog such an inferior product.. The Classic was the pick of all the ipods and is the one i use the most, I get a couple of hours out of the battery , I also have a ipod 2 but the screen went years ago plus the battery is stuffed but i have it plugged into the usb in the car and it is better than listening to talkback. I will now use the Asus tablet for my digital music for the time being.

. I have tried Apple and i am talking about my exoerience of them . If you think i am trolling just because i challenge your sacred beliefs about Apple . well so be it.

The ipod Nano is about 7 months old but possibly a refurbished one because i got it from a frequent flyers award program but it also turns itself on because it has no lock like the older models. i can charge it and it will still only last about an hour . The new one is a piece of crap and little wonder nobody wants them when a phone does the same thing Apple tries to flog such an inferior product.. The Classic was the pick of all the ipods and is the one i use the most, I get a couple of hours out of the battery , I also have a ipod 2 but the screen went years ago plus the battery is stuffed but i have it plugged into the usb in the car and it is better than listening to talkback. I will now use the Asus tablet for my digital music for the time being.

. I have tried Apple and i am talking about my exoerience of them . If you think i am trolling just because i challenge your sacred beliefs about Apple . well so be it.

Nar, I am completely open minded when it comes to tech. That doesn't mean I'm not opinionated once I've actually gone through a proper comparison process though :P

You clearly have been given a faulty or non-genuine ipod - I'd probably send it back and say "give me a proper loyalty reward please" :D

As for buying an iPod these days, yes indeed - unless you absolutely must have a music player that tiny, just buy a phone ;)

Nar, I am completely open minded when it comes to tech. That doesn't mean I'm not opinionated once I've actually gone through a proper comparison process though tongue.png

You clearly have been given a faulty or non-genuine ipod - I'd probably send it back and say "give me a proper loyalty reward please" biggrin.png

As for buying an iPod these days, yes indeed - unless you absolutely must have a music player that tiny, just buy a phone wink.png

Like i said it is what is known as a refurbished product, it is not a fake I don't know if apple does it elsewhere in the world but in Australia any apple product that come in for warrenty repair goes into the refurbished pile which means that it then goes back into circulation . My ipod had a scratched screen and wear marks on the corners when i received it . I contacted apple customer care but was told it was probably refurbished but because i got it thru a loyalty / frequent flyers program it came with no warrenty and so bad luck and f___off in blunt terms .

My work iphome is the same - an refurbished iphone 5. It was registered under two owners as far as i can determine as i was getting music and apps downloaded to it that i did not want but they were coming off my account . It would also cut off mid conversation, ring phone numbers if it was in the phone carrier and went over a jolt. and numerous erractic things . i went thru the IT department who contacted apple who said it was just not possible . Bad luck again.

I have heard of quite a few other storys about refurbished apple products and it is possible this is why a lot of people are having a difficult time with Apple. They are not the only company that sells refurbished products - Yamaha amps does as well just to name one but they are sold as being refurbished and at second hand prices but with warrenty backing so you know what you are getting.

Like i said it is what is known as a refurbished product, it is not a fake I don't know if apple does it elsewhere in the world but in Australia any apple product that come in for warrenty repair goes into the refurbished pile which means that it then goes back into circulation . My ipod had a scratched screen and wear marks on the corners when i received it . I contacted apple customer care but was told it was probably refurbished but because i got it thru a loyalty / frequent flyers program it came with no warrenty and so bad luck and f___off in blunt terms .

My work iphome is the same - an refurbished iphone 5. It was registered under two owners as far as i can determine as i was getting music and apps downloaded to it that i did not want but they were coming off my account . It would also cut off mid conversation, ring phone numbers if it was in the phone carrier and went over a jolt. and numerous erractic things . i went thru the IT department who contacted apple who said it was just not possible . Bad luck again.

I have heard of quite a few other storys about refurbished apple products and it is possible this is why a lot of people are having a difficult time with Apple. They are not the only company that sells refurbished products - Yamaha amps does as well just to name one but they are sold as being refurbished and at second hand prices but with warrenty backing so you know what you are getting.

OK, so the recent Apple devices you've had access to were not only refurbs, but dodgy ones at that. Sucky.

At least that helps explain why you maybe haven't heard what they're actually meant to sound like - I was beginning to think your ears were broken tongue.pngbiggrin.png

Over the years, I've heard countless warranty claim stories that began with "fault not found" or "unable to replicate", and ended with a replacement product after enough complaining... I'm sure in these cases, one man's trash becomes the next man's treasure refurb ;)

. I have tried Apple and i am talking about my exoerience of them . If you think i am trolling just because i challenge your sacred beliefs about Apple . well so be it.[/quote

My Bose dock charges my iPod classic when I'm useing it, last time I used it at work I got 2 6 hr days of listening and still more than half charged....me thinks you don't have the real deal or don't know how to turn off your apple products, and before you shoot a reply back I once thought I'd turned off the classic but didn't and was confronted with a flat battery the next time.

As for issues with refurbished apple products (my son got a refurbished iPhone) your the very first I've heard that has such bad lucky.....must be something to to with the electro static that your body is producing....or the football team you follow, or the women you date...or most possible the brand of underwear you wear....think about it.

As for issues with refurbished apple products (my son got a refurbished iPhone) your the very first I've heard that has such bad lucky.....must be something to to with the electro static that your body is producing....or the football team you follow, or the women you date...or most possible the brand of underwear you wear....think about it.

What is there to think about - Apple doesn't want to help me because they think it is not their responsibility to help anybody who is not a direct customer . They think the IT department who provided the iphone to me should have sorted out the mess with the iphone and the ipod i received as a part of a loyalty program so again i am not a direct customer . And i am not the only one who have received refurbished products that were not up to scratch - if you are a direct customer you can take back the refurbished product until you receive one that works the way it is intended . Again this highlights the problem Apple has where even Apple supporters regard that if anybody has a problem with an apple product then it is must be not Apples' responsibility but the users fault. You can personally insult me or be-little me all you like but it will never alter the fact that Apple (and you) have a seious problem with attitude and arogance about the way Apple conducts its business.

As for turnig off ipods corectly i doubt that there is any hidden tricks , althogh the ipod nano does turn itself on as there is no longer a lock on them but then again leave the nano a week or less and the battery will be at least 3/4 discharged , I always need to carry the recharge cords with me. Out of all the Apple products ,the ipod classic is the pick of any of the apple products i have owned by far .

What is there to think about - Apple doesn't want to help me because they think it is not their responsibility to help anybody who is not a direct customer . They think the IT department who provided the iphone to me should have sorted out the mess with the iphone and the ipod i received as a part of a loyalty program so again i am not a direct customer . And i am not the only one who have received refurbished products that were not up to scratch - if you are a direct customer you can take back the refurbished product until you receive one that works the way it is intended . Again this highlights the problem Apple has where even Apple supporters regard that if anybody has a problem with an apple product then it is must be not Apples' responsibility but the users fault. You can personally insult me or be-little me all you like but it will never alter the fact that Apple (and you) have a seious problem with attitude and arogance about the way Apple conducts its business.

As for turnig off ipods corectly i doubt that there is any hidden tricks , althogh the ipod nano does turn itself on as there is no longer a lock on them but then again leave the nano a week or less and the battery will be at least 3/4 discharged , I always need to carry the recharge cords with me. Out of all the Apple products ,the ipod classic is the pick of any of the apple products i have owned by far .

My son bought his iPhone secondhand Apple (Melbourne Australia) didn't think twice in replacing it when it showed a fault.

Im not belittling ( well a small joke at your expense ) you the truth is I've never ever heard or read anywhere the sorts of problems you have, thats not to say it couldn't happen, if your Apple customer support is Thai based and a reseller rather than an Apple store then its possible, then it comes down to the staff not knowing, poor training etc which I've encountered there, i think if you did some grandstanding like i did over a pair of internationally well known brand of sneakers you may experience a different result.

Nonsense. I have a great app [FLACTunes FLAC Converter] on my iMac that converts FLAC files to Apple Lossless. Drag and drop an album in to FLACTunes and it converts an entire album in about five seconds and it's immediately available in iTunes. This is some serious piece of kit and more than worth the £3 cost of the app.

Features:

* Support for 24-bit, 192Khz ultra-high fidelity audio: FLACTunes imports even the most high-quality tracks available into bit-for-bit equivalent, lossless files.

* Metadata preservation: FLACTunes preserves all your track information, including album art.

* Multi-threaded: FLACTunes uses all the cores of your processor to import FLAC as efficiently as possible.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/flactunes-flac-converter/id517984121?mt=12

Nonsense. I have a great app [FLACTunes FLAC Converter] on my iMac that converts FLAC files to Apple Lossless. Drag and drop an album in to FLACTunes and it converts an entire album in about five seconds and it's immediately available in iTunes. This is some serious piece of kit and more than worth the £3 cost of the app.

Features:

* Support for 24-bit, 192Khz ultra-high fidelity audio: FLACTunes imports even the most high-quality tracks available into bit-for-bit equivalent, lossless files.

* Metadata preservation: FLACTunes preserves all your track information, including album art.

* Multi-threaded: FLACTunes uses all the cores of your processor to import FLAC as efficiently as possible.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/flactunes-flac-converter/id517984121?mt=12

Don't know how xen can claim Apple iPhone etc isn't suitable for business, i mean what do you want it to do that an aneroid phone can do that iPhone can't?

As for Flac files, there maybe triple in size and sure the purists prefer them but hardly appropriate for a device like an iPod tablet or phone to be listening on, i mean to say...i have a $300 pair of bose headphones but there not that much better to the $60 koss i normaly carry in my bag when traveling, (4 year old prices) to be listening to high end music on portable devices and expecting it to deliver high end sound is a bit of a joke i think.

Apple is very over rated. I bought a second hand Ipad 1 for 5000 Bt at MBK more than three years ago. Great value, still works great to this day, but

only for watching and downloading movies, I tried to sign in to apple when I first bought it, I found it impossible, even the

local computer shop guy could not sign in.

I will never buy from Apple except if I only wanted to download and watch movies.

Apple is very over rated. I bought a second hand Ipad 1 for 5000 Bt at MBK more than three years ago. Great value, still works great to this day, but

only for watching and downloading movies, I tried to sign in to apple when I first bought it, I found it impossible, even the

local computer shop guy could not sign in.

I will never buy from Apple except if I only wanted to download and watch movies.

People who have problems with Apple products lack a bit of nouse, did it occur to you to do a rest if you couldn't get yourself an Apple id?

Failing that some googling of your problem might have dredged up something.

Or heaven's forbid take it to an Apple store and ask one of them nerdy kids to check it out for you.

If you don't have an Apple id you won't be buying anything even if its free from Apple.

I find one of the main problems with Apple products is you're tied by association to the sort of people who aggressively defend them on the internet as if they had a personal stake in the company's fortunes.

Maybe they do - it's good stock :D

I find one of the main problems with Apple products is you're tied by association to the sort of people who aggressively defend them on the internet as if they had a personal stake in the company's fortunes.

It's the same as Ford or GM, Merc or BMW, Apple or Aneroid, we have our preferences some just like to bag the other, often it's the buy 20 year old Ford and expect it to run like the latest model, buy a used iPad then bitch about not being able to get an Apple ID, lack problem solving skills to find a solution....yes yes I defend because many are just down right stupid.

Archived