Need a Good Mexican Restaurant for Son's Birthday

JT65

Hi All

Its my 9 year old boy's birthday today and he is very keen on going to a Mexican restaurant for dinner tonight.

He wants taco's and burritto's.

Just wondering if anyone online here has any suggestions on a good restaurant which would be family friendly.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

JT65

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been to most of the Mexican restaurants in Chiang Mai. Coming from the SoCal area, I am used to getting a lot of my Mexican food from Roberto's, Alberto's, etc. Although Salsa Kitchen was not bad, it's also more expensive than Miguel's, and I haven't had a bad meal at Miguels. For your son either place should be fine. He just wants to get stuffed, LOL.

My fav is El Diablo.

While we're on the subject I was driving down 3029 from 107 toward 1001 I saw a new place opening up in a modern building near Rimping Rumchok.

Just caught the corner of my eye but thought it said Mexican Grill Salsa Kitchen (??) .

Anyone know anything? Is it same people as either of the other Mexican places going by those names? Or just a new one with a totally original name? :)

My fav is El Diablo.

While we're on the subject I was driving down 3029 from 107 toward 1001 I saw a new place opening up in a modern building near Rimping Rumchok.

Just caught the corner of my eye but thought it said Mexican Grill Salsa Kitchen (??) .

Anyone know anything? Is it same people as either of the other Mexican places going by those names? Or just a new one with a totally original name? smile.png

It's a new Salsa Kitchen. There's a banner outside the one on Huay Kaew Rd advertising the new location.

El Diablo's is a close match for my taste, to the SoCal and Tex-Mex burrito and my personal menu favorite (the California burrito) is quite satisfying , Miquel's has a better dinning atmoshere with very decent food... imho

Don't know were is most convenient for you but a new Salsa Kitchen has just opened close to Meechok Plaza on the ring road, coming from the Canal Road toward Meechok. Had a very pleasant meal there last night.

Barrio Bonito on Koh Chang is the best Mexican food I have found in Thailand, very much like something you might find in the Yukatan or therabouts. They even have Cambodian waitresses dressed in Mayan type skirts, the look exactly the same.

Anyway, not mentioned yet is 3 little pigs for soft double tortilla tacos... good.

There is only one Mexican Restaurant in Thailand and Chiang Mai is lucky to have it. All others are want to be's.

https://www.facebook.com/MiguelsCafeChiangMai

Anyone making that claim has obviously never been here - or doesn't understand Mexican food...

https://www.facebook.com/cafecitopai?fref=ts&ref=br_tf

That cafecito looks interesting...I need to find a better map than their facebook though...edit: oops never mind have not been to Pai in years

Yes Miguels is ..ok... & better than nothing.. but I think folks who really like it are more use to Taco Bell US type Mex

rather than really good Mexican Food

Can't say I have found any really good mex food in CM

Edited by mania

Barrio Bonito on Koh Chang is the best Mexican food I have found in Thailand, very much like something you might find in the Yukatan or therabouts. They even have Cambodian waitresses dressed in Mayan type skirts, the look exactly the same.

Anyway, not mentioned yet is 3 little pigs for soft double tortilla tacos... good.

Wow, been to Koh Chang many, many times and never heard of it. Sorry I missed that one. Must be in the Had Sai Khao area I would guess?

Guess I missed it as I'll never go back to Koh Chang again.

Wow, been to Koh Chang many, many times and never heard of it. Sorry I missed that one. Must be in the Had Sai Khao area I would guess?

I would understand if you never want to go to Phuket either, but the Blue Fin in Kata also has great Mexican. 3 little pigs has great soul food but I wouldn't call it Mexican.

No, it is in the Lonely beach area, really nice, not a typical Sonoran style place... ceviches (sp?) and such.

Food forums....everyone has a different idea on what determines "good" food, so there will always be a bit of disagreement. I know quite a few Ops here lived in San Diego, and Mexican food there is not like TexMex food. And if you really go down into Mexico, their food is different than in San Diego. The Op had just asked for a decent Mexican restaurant in CM for her 9 year old. I think basically any of the CM Mexican restaurants would have been fine. I do find it humorous that people recommend a Mexican restaurant because "they have great Margaritas there".

Right, any of them would have been fine, but Miguels is probably best for a group setting as El Diablo which is excellent, only has a few small tables and is a bit loud in there. I think the Mexican items at 3 Little Pigs are quite good and they have lots of seating and is very kid friendly. My kid loves to go there!

Went to the new Salsa Kitchen Mexican and Grill (I think that's the name).

First and foremost it was good!

Nice food, decent value, reasonable waiting time for food and more, all things that would make it worthy of a return visit with the added bonus for myself of not having to go into town.

I tried a few things incl. Chips and Quacamole, Adobo Marinated Grilled Pork Nachos, Asada Beef Burrito, Pork Enchilada, Mango Chicken Quesadilla and a Pork Chimichanga (my favorite of them all). Actually everything pretty good, maybe the guacamole could use some more love, but thumbs up! thumbsup.gif

Now I wouldn't be Junglechef w/o at least some constructive criticism (if you can't handle it please look away now facepalm.gif) and do remember I said it was good already.

There were just a few too many things that I would more more expect from a Thai in their first foray into this realm.

The menu was very difficult to read as it had more words then necessary making it quite confusing. Read the picture of just one menu item I attached below and imagine how hard it would be ordering from the whole menu. Even the restaurant's name doesn't really flow off your tongue, I've seen the signs a few times and still not sure what it is.

Next is a photo of the burrito I was served followed by a random one I pulled off the internet for comparison. What I was served tasted good but was not a really a burrito in my professional opinion, of course they can call anything they want whatever they want, but I like to eat a burrito with my hands. Maybe it's just personal preference but if I wanted a mess I would have ordered a messy dish, I love messy food by the way too, such as a enchilada.

The general organization was again reminded me of the one in town, not very efficient in my opinion. Here the waitress took the order and went outside and upstairs to the kitchen to have it made. The wait station is behind a meter tall wall so when the one waiter was downstairs she couldn't see out and in turn I couldn't get her attention.

Lovely waiter who did know the menu well, cheers for that, but not trained enough to know to not give me two 100 bht bills and 4 bht in coins as my change. This not only lessened her chance of getting at tip but put me in an uncomfortable situation of either not tipping, which is not my preference, or calling her back again especially when she might be busy. Luckily I had a couple of 20 bht bills on me but it's just really basics that management should be training for the sake of all.

None huge things but put all together with some other things, such as the bathrooms are built like a hothouse and you feel like it inside, are things I was surprised of knowing the history of the place. I expect some of it is going to change, planned or realized after the fact, as it's only the first week but does make me wonder a bit about the implementation of the concept.

Anyways back to the positives, glad to have them as an addition to the area and I'll be back and bring my whole gang next time! (if I'm welcome after this post wai.gif )

post-101742-0-94662100-1434279718_thumb.

post-101742-0-57115000-1434279811_thumb.

post-101742-0-38864700-1434279890_thumb.

You ordered all that food? were you in a big group? my experience at Salsa kitchen has been one order was not easy to finish, plus the mandatory guacamole spread on everything...stuffed. My least fave other than their "jerk"jamaican stuff, (not good) is the SF mission burruto, not at all like a SF burrito. Thei regular selection of burritos and enchiladas are rather tasty, the grilled veggie salsa is a nice addition. They make the guakamole when ordered so you can tell them how you like it....

Edited by daoyai

You ordered all that food? were you in a big group? my experience at Salsa kitchen has been one order was not easy to finish, plus the mandatory guacamole spread on everything...stuffed. My least fave other than their "jerk"jamaican stuff, (not good) is the SF mission burruto, not at all like a SF burrito. Thei regular selection of burritos and enchiladas are rather tasty, the grilled veggie salsa is a nice addition. They make the guakamole when ordered so you can tell them how you like it....

Yep that what I ordered and when I said "decent value" I not only meant quality but quantity too.

I had the burrito for my meal and was full especially considering not only I am known to have a decent appetite but was on my way home from participating in a bike race, yeah I was hungry!

My boys, also raced - also hungry, had the nachos - also full.

While we were there I got a call from the missus asking to bring home lunch for her and the younger ones

(why does it seem every time I walk into a restaurant the Thai ladies in my family seem to know wherever they happen to be?).

Ordered the "Chips and Quacamole" and a "Combination Platters" as take away for them (see photo)

That was enough for lunch for them with some leftovers. So no issue with the portion size at all.

But while I'm being a keyboard warrior I would like to suggest a few things for the Adobo Marinated Grilled Pork Nachos. Beside the already mentioned verbose names, putting the meat on top of the Nachos chips but not completely under the cheese and then putting it under a heat source to melt the cheese (if this in fact is what they did) really dried it out. I find the best way is put whatever one wants on the chips (warmed beans, cooked meat etc.), top with cheese and then melt. Then top with the cold items (salsa fesca, sour cream etc.). If one wants have some of the hot items on top of the cheese, say for presentation purposes, heat them separately and then put on top of the melted cheese with the cold items. This is the kind of things I was referring to in my other post which I would consider as rookie mistakes that do make a big difference.

As for the Griled Veggies Salsa I'm not sure if they offer it that this location, I was told they will be a bit different especially with offering grilled entree item like the steak special they had yesterday. Enquiring if they might do a burger, I was with a kid after all, they said they doubt it as they are thinking more upscale items (my words not theirs)

Hope my post do give Salsa Kitchen Mexican and Grill some good publicity. smile.png

post-101742-0-48913700-1434325061_thumb.

Edited by junglechef