I don't trust my Triton's GPS system.

giddyup

Admittedly I use it very rarely but on the few occasions that I've put it to the test it wants me to take the longest route possible and I can't see any way to ask for alternative routes. Case in point, I took a friend to the Motor Transport office in Pattaya, which I already knew how to find via a shortcut from my house on Nern Plabwan, but the GPS wanted me to drive all the way to Sukhumvit and get there via the motorway, virtually twice the distance. Anyone else have the Triton's Speed Navi GPS and find the same problem?

My guess is that you are inputting the destination, but inadvertently have checked various options such as "use motorways" or "Avoid smaller roads/tolls/roadworks etc etc."

it is also possible that you are using a limited info (large scale) map that doesn't actually have the smaller roads on it?

In general my experience is that the GPS is usually correct and it it is the user who is wrong....it can only do what you tell it to do, so it is vital to know EXACTLY what you are telling it to do....first check your options.

if you are still having problems there may be a problem with calibration - the machine may not know accurately where it is?

Just have a sit in the car and play around with it for few minutes minutes when you don't actually need to go anywhere and try putting in a few destinations.........find out where "settings" is and then scroll through and check what it is/isn't doing for you.

Just have a sit in the car and play around with it for few minutes minutes when you don't actually need to go anywhere and try putting in a few destinations.........find out where "settings" is and then scroll through and check what it is/isn't doing for you.

I'll persevere.

I'll persevere.

Get the nearest 6 year old to work it out for you biggrin.png

I'll persevere.

What are you doing this afternoon?

My last vehicle was a Triton with the GPS in the dash and I had the same problem at first. Later I found that by going into settings that there were options on type of routes I preferred such as highways only, shortest route in distance and fastest or quickest route or something like that. Once I set it to the fastest route I had no problems.

My last vehicle was a Triton with the GPS in the dash and I had the same problem at first. Later I found that by going into settings that there were options on type of routes I preferred such as highways only, shortest route in distance and fastest or quickest route or something like that. Once I set it to the fastest route I had no problems.

Thanks, I'll keep plugging away.

I'll persevere.

What are you doing this afternoon?

It wasn't a sleight at your intelligence just that how clever 6 year old's are ! gigglem.gif

Edited by alfieconn

My Tom Tom regularly takes me down a side road in Bangkok then insists I turn right when there is no road.

Then other times it insists I go to the other carriageway and drive into the oncoming traffic.

And many times I have been on the expressway while it shouts at me to take an exit through the crash barrier.

But overall it's a godsend.

My Tom Tom regularly takes me down a side road in Bangkok then insists I turn right when there is no road.

Then other times it insists I go to the other carriageway and drive into the oncoming traffic.

And many times I have been on the expressway while it shouts at me to take an exit through the crash barrier.

But overall it's a godsend.

sometimes the signal can't tell it whether you are on the flyover or not.....and sometimes in BKK under the flyovers the signal is poor too, so it can't tell you what lane .....the other thing is that the lane directions in Bkk change every day.....hard for any sat-nav to keep up.

Edited by cumgranosalum

At least yours works. Mine (on a new Pajero Sport) gets off-track half of the time, thinking we're somewhere out in the ocean the top of a mountain, or someplace with no roads. Dealer told us it was due to the window film on the windshield, so we had it removed and replaced with a film that's supposedly GPS compatible. Only a minor improvement.

Now, when taking a trip I just stick my 12 year old Garmin to the windshield which works 100% of the time.

Have you refreshed the maps lately? I'm not familiar with your model, but if it doesn't get maps over-the-air then your mapping database may be outdated and not all roads are shown. Investigate how to purchase a new set of maps if yours are more than 2 years old.

Have you refreshed the maps lately? I'm not familiar with your model, but if it doesn't get maps over-the-air then your mapping database may be outdated and not all roads are shown. Investigate how to purchase a new set of maps if yours are more than 2 years old.

The vehice is only 6 months old.

The vehice is only 6 months old sure, but how old is the map database?

It's quite likely that it is old if you haven't updated it since you got the car.

A very good conscientious dealer might have updated it before you got it, but probably not.

It just like new tech gadgets, the first time you you them you need to update them.

I use a tablet for navigation - Google and OSM........OSM is a downloadable map system and is updated on average on a weekly basis. However, as I said earlier, there are loads of maps to download and i think it would depend on which map you have selected - I didn't know how your system operates, but I doubt any uploads would have hugely significant omissions.

However i still suspect that it is most likely a question of which preferences/settings you have (inadvertently) chosen.

I've gota similar brand name GPS in my car.

The maps are 2013.

I have a whole lot of CD's that came with the GPS. (bought a cheaper honda CRV and installed a GPS system)

Can you set up the GPS system to download the latest maps, or update?

I'm not "au fait' with built in sat-nav systems - however if your unit has a USB port, one would imagine that you could download just about anything you want from the net and then install it on your system.

however there is a whole sub-forum dedicated to that sort of stuff........

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/145-thailand-maps-gps-placemarks/

Edited by cumgranosalum

I'm not "au fait' with built in sat-nav systems - however if your unit has a USB port, one would imagine that you could download just about anything you want from the net and then install it on your system.

It does have a USB port, next time I take it in for service I'll ask about updates.

It does have a USB port, next time I take it in for service I'll ask about updates.

doubt if that is necessary - just do a search on Google, download the updates onto a memory stick, shove it in the Sat-Na and see what happens....

Investigate how to purchase a new set of maps if yours are more than 2 years old.

Or investigate how to download an app for your mobile phone (assuming it has GPS) for free, including map updates and all. I used Nokia Maps before, now I switched to HERE on my Android phone/tablet. Have a look at http://here.com, it is free.

I don't trust my Triton's GPS system.

Lucky you. I don't trust my wife's "reading a map" system. Whenever she tells me to turn right, I turn left and I'm always at the right place.

Maybe your navi is made in Thailand........bah.gif

Edited by lostinisaan