Cambodian croc farms on the cusp of export boom

geovalin

Cambodia’s crocodile farms are hoping to progress from exporting hatchlings to full skins, if conservation standards can be met

Tucked behind a nondescript rice mill in Siem Reap is a crocodile farm with more than 1,000 of the reptilians lazily basking in the sun. The crocodiles, used for breeding purposes only, crowd around six large pools of water, just one part of a network of crocodile farms in Cambodia, which is increasingly eyeing the global leather market.

Cambodia has been breeding crocodiles since the early 1990s. While the farms were small and few then, the sector has grown to nearly 1,000 farms with 500,000 crocodile hatchlings.

read more: http://www.phnompenhpost.com/post-weekend/cambodian-croc-farms-cusp-export-boom

Eureka!

My wife wants high leather boots for working on the farm and she think crocodile skin might be better

than cowhide. So I asked her why leather and not the normal rubber farm boots? Her reply, "Snakes

bite through rubber and crocodile is stronger than buffalo." Fair enough. I'll be looking into Cambodia's

products after reading this biggrin.png