Thai students still in detention in Lahore, pending legal procedures

Lite Beer

Thai students still in detention in Lahore, pending legal procedures
THE SUNDAY NATION, REUTERS

BANGKOK: -- ALL THE five Thai students arrested in Pakistan for trying to board a plane with parts of a pistol and ammunition are still under detention there, contrary to earlier reports that four of them have been freed, the Foreign Ministry said yesterday.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Sek Wannamethee said that the Thai Embassy in Islamabad had not received confirmation about the students being released.

He said the five students were still in the custody of security officials at Lahore Airport and did not board flight TG346, which left the airport at 11.40pm on Friday and arrived in Thailand at 6.10am as reported.

Deputy Government Spokes-man Sansern Kaewkamnerd also said the Thai Embassy had not received any confirmation about the release of the five or some of them as reported in the media.

He said the Foreign Ministry is monitoring the situation and will correctly follow legal procedures. He urged the public to exercise discretion in consuming news and not to put pressure on officials of both countries regarding their work, as they have to follow the law.

Sansern also dismissed re-ports that suggested the five students had links to the Islamic State militant group of Iraq and Syria.

"We have no evidence of any links between the students and any criminal organisation, so news that there is a link between ISIS and the students is not true," said Sansern.

The men, who had been studying at a religious school in Pakistan, were trying to catch a flight at Lahore airport on Monday night when they were arrested. They were scheduled to board a Thai Airways flight for Bangkok.

Meanwhile, a father of one of the five students has urged the government to help bring them back.

Suwan Songlong, 51, father of 18-year-old Sakkariya Songlong from Trang, said he was disappointed to know that the report of four of the five Thai students being released was false. He said he believed his son was innocent.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Thai-students-still-in-detention-in-Lahore-pending-30262278.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-06-14

Just a thought, but if the students can escape across an international border, they might qualify for the foreign ministries "express passport delivery for fugitives abroad" which was a PTP initiative. With their new travel documents they could travel the world for a while, or simply come home and carry on with life as before. One thing which is not clear, is whether you need to actually be on the run from a Thai prison sentence, or whether small fry and common or garden rogues can qualify for the scheme as well?

NB just a few months ago I would have scoffed at this notion, but after countless repeated and ever-more screechy posts on TVF asserting that it is entirely normal for FM's to hand deliver passports abroad to criminal fugitives I offer the suggestion to the detained students.

Nothing Thais ever say can be accepted as fact. Can you imagine having the Thai public believe that four Thai students had boarded a plane to Bangkok and it taking another day for them to retract this?

Just how, where and by whom could such an erroneous report start ?

Did some Thai official jump the gun to prove he / she was in the know or did the media hear a vague story and decide to go ahead without proper verification.

I have no sympathy for any of the students involved in this but imagine if four families were waiting for the arrival of the flight, maybe even went to the airport, only to be told their sons weren't on it ?

Edited by NongKhaiKid

Innocent !! with bits of a gun in their luggage <deleted> its a criminal offence and should be treated as such, oh i suppose someone ELSE put the bits in their luggage, do me a fng favor coffee1.gif

Innocent !! with bits of a gun in their luggage <deleted> its a criminal offence and should be treated as such, oh i suppose someone ELSE put the bits in their luggage, do me a fng favor coffee1.gif

I seems, so far anyway, the story is the old drug mule''s favourite that an unknown person persuaded the student to carry a container. ?

Scientists are trying to work out how theoretical miscalculations for the anti gravity property of dark energy could be out by 120 decimal places. An extraordinary number. Yet I don't doubt they will do it.

I truly do doubt anyone's ability to adequately theorize the recurrent idiocy prevalent in the culture these boys come from.

Edited by optad

Just a thought, but if the students can escape across an international border, they might qualify for the foreign ministries "express passport delivery for fugitives abroad" which was a PTP initiative. With their new travel documents they could travel the world for a while, or simply come home and carry on with life as before. One thing which is not clear, is whether you need to actually be on the run from a Thai prison sentence, or whether small fry and common or garden rogues can qualify for the scheme as well?

NB just a few months ago I would have scoffed at this notion, but after countless repeated and ever-more screechy posts on TVF asserting that it is entirely normal for FM's to hand deliver passports abroad to criminal fugitives I offer the suggestion to the detained students.

Sorry to disrupt your mantra....................

But the 5 jihadists-to-be all have valid Thai passports !!

But why let facts get in the way of yet another "but Yingluck" post ??

"Suwan Songlong, 51, father of 18-year-old Sakkariya Songlong............ He said he believed his son was innocent."

Innocent of what ? Eating pork ? They were apprehended in illegally trying to smuggle a weapon through customs, onto a plane. Where does any innocence come into this ?

Religious school in Pakistan, smuggling guns into Thailand. What could go wrong there whistling.gif

Yep, their parents must be somewhat rich or otherwise neither of them could have gone abroad and bought a gun.

In other words papa bail out coming soon

Edited by MaxLee

I don't get it, are guns not readily available in Thailand. Legally or otherwise?

Why attempt to carry them through airport security.

Looking for weak points in the airport's security operations.

Exactly

Recently arrived in Oz and they scanned all of my bags, carry on and checked in i.e. after I picked up my baggage from the carousel.

Not taking any chances I guess.

Seems to be a random thing though.

Maybe I look particularly dodgy.

Religious school in Pakistan, smuggling guns into Thailand. What could go wrong there whistling.gif

Yep, their parents must be somewhat rich or otherwise neither of them could have gone abroad and bought a gun.

Apparently their 'education' in Pakistan is considered to be a local muslim community project. According to an earlier OP, at least one of the 'students ' has his monthly expenses covered by his local muslim community.

Apparently their 'education' in Pakistan is considered to be a local muslim community project. According to an earlier OP, at least one of the 'students ' has his monthly expenses covered by his local muslim community.

"Education " = brainwashing and terrorist training

They sound like young jihadists who just received a top up of some cretinous religious mumbo jumbo. They should have swallowed the gun parts to avoid detection.

But then it couldn't be reassembled on board could it?

I don't get it, are guns not readily available in Thailand. Legally or otherwise?

Why attempt to carry them through airport security.

Perhaps they thought they could get the thing through security if it was stripped down and separated among them. Then reassemble on board. I have no idea what Pakistani security is like, but perhaps it was a reasonable assumption - or maybe a test run for a bigger job later.

And perhaps they weren't aiming to actually return to Thailand after weeks rocking too and fro in a Pakistani madrassa.

Who knows?

"Education " = brainwashing and terrorist training
Hit the nail right in the coffin, dude. Edited by MaxLee

Sad though it may be for the families but the statements from the Foreign Office spokesman Sansern are absolutely correct, the law and the related procedures are very clear and must be followed. The investigation will take place and if these young men are innocent they will be sent home, if they are found to be guilty of anything other than gross stupidity then I imagine the punishment will be severe.

It never fails to amaze me how the young (in many different countries and from immensely different backgrounds) manage to totally stuff up their lives for the most stupid of reasons...?

PAKISTAN
All Thai students still in Lahore, pending legal processing

REUTERS

BANGKOK: -- ALL THE FIVE Thai students arrested in Pakistan for trying to board a plane with parts of a pistol and ammunition are still under detention there, contrary to earlier reports that four of them have been freed, the Foreign Ministry said yesterday.

Spokesman Sek Wannamethee said the Thai Embassy in Islamabad had not received confirmation about the students being released.

The five students were still in the custody of security officials at Lahore Airport and did not board flight TG346, which left the airport at 11.40pm on Friday and arrived in Thailand at 6.10am, as reported, he said.

Deputy government spokesman Sansern Kaewkamnerd also said the Thai Embassy had not received any confirmation about the release of the five or some of them, as reported in the media.

The Foreign Ministry is monitoring the situation and will correctly follow legal procedures, he said.

The public should exercise discretion in consuming news and not pressure officials of both countries regarding their work, as they have to follow the law, he said.

'No evidence of links to ISIS'

Reports that suggested the five had links to the Islamic State militant group of Iraq and Syria were groundless, he said.

"We have no evidence of any links between the students and any criminal organisation, so news that there is a link between ISIS and the students is not true," he said.

The men, who had been studying at a religious school in Pakistan, were trying to catch a Thai Airways plane at Lahore airport bound for Bangkok on Monday night when they were arrested.

A father has urged the government to help bring the five students back.

Suwan Songlong, 51, father of 18-year-old Sakkariya from Trang, said he was disappointed to learn that the report of four of the five Thai students being released was false.

He said he believed his son was innocent.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/All-Thai-students-still-in-Lahore-pending-legal-pr-30262320.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-06-15

Well you can get pretty much anything in Thailand Knives, knuckle dusters and the like from market vendors, so i am pretty sure that if you were prepared to pay well,someone would get you a gun, just one point :- were the dissembled parts of the gun in the carry on bags or the bags in the baggage hold ?if the gun parts were in the carry on bags i would think this will be a big problem for these Students