Orphanage in or around Khon Kaen?

torpedo1970

Anybody here that can give any info about orphanages in or around Khon Kaen.

Also info on how to best help, and yes i will not just give moeney as i know it never end up to those deserving the most.....

Thanks in advance for all useful info

I'm not sure anything one might do at an orphanage in Thailand, truly helps anyone ...anyone who is needy. I think it would be better to find an individual kid, in a family or something, who needs help ...or find another choice, i.e. not one in Thailand. How about India, there are really people there who with some money, could get a medical something they need, or who really need food, or who really need and would like school ...etc. Especially girls.

There is a orphan school near where the government offices are, behind the old bus station, I went a few years ago sad to see all the babies that have been given up for adoption or have lost there parents.

Not in KK but I have organised a couple of charity events on behalf of The Tree of Life Orphanage in Buriram. It's run by an American guy called Rodger. They have both FB and web pages for info.

I totally disagree on TOL.

Sorry, I can't give info about an orphanage in Khon Kaen. Wifey and I went to an orphanage near Ubon ( Warin ) in a remote area yesterday. We are in a similar situation as you.....want to help out, but not sure how. I was speaking with one of the....( what do you call them? Parents, Teacher? Caretaker? ) staff that are taking care of the kids to find out how they "operate". What help, if any, do they get from the government etc. But with her broken english, I couldn't gather much information. On the way back home I was talking to my wife saying that I wish I could've taken a look at their rooms to see what they have or might be missing. It might be things as simple as crayons and a coloring book. Or while playing pingpong with them I noticed both their rackets were in bad shape.

I would suggest once you find out where an orphanage in your area is, to bring something simple with you and try to speak to one of the staff member and best even take a tour of the place to get a picture of the situation. Also, quite honestly, I don't think some money in the right hands would be a wrong thing to do either. I just can not imagine that one of the staff that take care of the kids day in and day out would pocket the money for themselves.

Good luck.

Edited by NiwPix
  • Like 1

I think Khaen Tong Children's Home (บ้านแคนทอง) in Khon Kaen is the only orphanage under พมจ (Ministry of Social Development and Human Security) in Isan. On their website they are requesting volunteers to come and simply hold infants. Reason is because they have a 20:1 staff to child ratio and without touch they develop attachment issues. They have children up to 18 years of age though so I'm sure they'd love to have any help you can give. Bring a truckload of duplo legos and books and you'll never be forgotten. The link above goes to their FB page. I'd link to their website but Chrome says it has malware.

Edited by ubonrthai
  • Like 1

You might also try in Khon Kaen the CFBT Foundation School for the Blind off Maliwan Road on the Soi after the PTT station left side of the road on the way to the airport.

Under Patronage of HM the King.

• 3 months later...

My wife and I visited Baan Khaen Tong the other day. The location on Google Maps is here. They have over 200 kids from birth-6 years old. They no longer have older kids. They accept formula, boxed milk, and any toy donations. You can just show up to make a donation but have to make special visit arrangements if you want to interact with the kids. If you want to buy some discounted supplies in bulk at a place similar to Makro, there is a warehouse here you can purchase from.

Edited by ubonrthai
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We chipped in and went to one in Soi Pottisan, near Beung Kaen Nakhorn.

Two of us went dressed as clowns, and we took face paint and they loved having their faces painted.

The organizer, a friend of mine, did his homework and paid a visit prior to outing.

He asked what they needed, and little things like broken toilets were pointed out to him. He went

to a local hardware store and purchased lots of things needed, including the replacement toilets.

It was all delivered while we were there, over 20k was spent on all the items purchased.

We also provided catering for a slap up meal for them, and a great day was had by all.

It does touch your heart strings though.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...