Gloves

robblok

Hi,

I have tried gloves a few times. Today i bought a nice new pair bit more expensive as the others that i have. Problem is that i get cramps from squeezing the throttle. When i don't use gloves its far more relaxed feeling. Is this because the gloves still have to be worn in a bit (any idea how long that takes) and / or because the muscles are not used to it and will adapt if you ride a lot.

Its just like my hands have more grips as my gloves, thought the gloves have special grip put onto them.

Edited by robblok

I have a pair of gloves that fit pretty tight too. I love them because they are excellent gloves, but sometimes I get cramps as well from the tightness too I think. The tightness of my gloves is not the fingers but at the seam just above the wrist and below the ball of my thumb. I tried stretching them out for days using some tubing inserted into them, but it hasn't really helped. It stretched the leather a bit, but it hasn't helped the problem because the length of the seam doesn't stretch. In the end I will probably have to buy a bigger sized pair. Short answer is I think I bought them a bit too small and maybe you did yours too.

You may try stretching yours though. Try and find something round that you can stick inside the gloves to stretch them out a bit, but be careful not to tear them when you insert the object. Insert the object slowly, but put it in as far as you can so that it is firmly adding pressure. Then let them sit for a few days. The best thing would be something about 3.5" in diameter I think. I am using some very strong and hard cardboard inner tubes that were used as the inserts on some large rolls of paper. Anything can work as long as it isn't sharp, but strong. Try that. Maybe it will help more in your case than it did mine.

OP persevere with the gloves or get some of the right gloves in the right size. I use Alpinestars. They have a shop in A Square near Big C Rama IV. Personally I would no more ride without gloves than without a helmet. Your hands will destroy themselves trying to protect you. Least you can do is provide them with a little armor.

OP persevere with the gloves or get some of the right gloves in the right size. I use Alpinestars. They have a shop in A Square near Big C Rama IV. Personally I would no more ride without gloves than without a helmet. Your hands will destroy themselves trying to protect you. Least you can do is provide them with a little armor.

Not giving up that easy and the gloves were a bit more as 4000 bt so not something to not use. It was a bit anoying but it might stretch a bit more or I might get used to it.

I agree about not ever riding without gloves. I low sided once over 20 years ago leaning into turn and not wearing gloves or a helmet. I was more of a dumb cowboy then. My head never hit the ground luckily, but I used my hand as a brake pad as I slid along the blacktop road. Tore all the skin off the palm of my hand needless to say and then the fire station nearby had to clean all the gravel out of my exposed flesh with a metal wire brush. Over 20 years later I still haven't forgotten the pain of that. Edited by WingNut

I agree about not ever riding without gloves. I low sided once over 20 years ago leaning into turn and not wearing gloves or a helmet. I was more of a dumb cowboy then. My head never hit the ground luckily, but I used my hand as a brake pad as I slid along the blacktop road. Tore all the skin off the palm of my hand needless to say and then the fire station nearby had to clean all the gravel out of my exposed flesh with a metal wire brush. Over 20 years later I still haven't forgotten the pain of that.

"Tore all the skin off the palm of my hand needless to say and then the fire station nearby had to clean all the gravel out of my exposed flesh with a metal wire brush"

jesus christ...

I currently wear the REV'IT Chevron which cost 3'400 from pandarider

they feel good and i believe should save your hands even at high speed crashes

FGS080_1600UF_300RGB08.jpg

got a pair of alpinestar gp pro but they're too small and impact my riding (clutching and throttle control)

Sounds good. I would just suggest buying one size bigger than what you think you might need. They run a it small as I said. I think even if they fit a bit loose too then it's better than too tight. Too tight can lead to cramps and broken blood vessels under the skin on longer rides. I don't see any downside if they are slightly loose. Probably last a bit longer too if there isn't as much pressure on the seams when you are wearing them.

The RS-7 Kangaroo gloves by Clover on the Panda site don't look bad. With their 10% member discount they would be 3,600 Baht and they are gauntlet type which is good. A bit pricey still, but would need to try them on to see if they are worth the extra money. I'm going to guess though that they aren't any better than Sedici. I've never heard of Clover, but that doesn't mean anything. They might be great. I'm not that up on all the glove brands though:

http://www.pandarider.com/Panda/Product_Glove_Clover.htm

Sounds good. I would just suggest buying one size bigger than what you think you might need. They run a it small as I said. I think even if they fit a bit loose too then it's better than too tight. Too tight can lead to cramps and broken blood vessels under the skin on longer rides. I don't see any downside if they are slightly loose. Probably last a bit longer too if there isn't as much pressure on the seams when you are wearing them.

ye i did this mistake with alpinestar gp pro ones. that hurt :S

thanks for the suggestion

On the link to the Sidici gloves link I provided if you scroll down there is a review by a guy who crashed with them at 50MPH and says he slid on his hands and that the gloves didn't even wear through from the slide. I don't know how long his crash distance was, but 90-95KM/H is a reasonable speed.

Also, I really would emphasize the benefits of the gauntlet. I think exposed wrists could be dangerous on a crash and slide too. And with gauntlet gloves you can tuck your jacket sleeves into the for better wrist protection as well. I guess it all depends on how safe you care to try to be.

I've been running these for almost a year and still like them.

I go oversize nowadays so donning them is easier with my sweaty hands.

As long as the cuff is good enough to keep them from being ripped off.

http://www.paddock.co.th/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=335&virtuemart_category_id=35&Itemid=625

On the link to the Sidici gloves link I provided if you scroll down there is a review by a guy who crashed with them at 50MPH and says he slid on his hands and that the gloves didn't even wear through from the slide. I don't know how long his crash distance was, but 90-95KM/H is a reasonable speed.

Also, I really would emphasize the benefits of the gauntlet. I think exposed wrists could be dangerous on a crash and slide too. And with gauntlet gloves you can tuck your jacket sleeves into the for better wrist protection as well. I guess it all depends on how safe you care to try to be.

yes i think the wrist protection is important aswell. i only had a scooter accident once in pattaya (was a rental with faulty brakes) @ 80 kph. no gear except helmet

my right feet got it good and my hand palms + wrist abit so i think good high boots + full gloves are important for any fast rider

i'd be tempted to try that mesh alpinestar tho as i love the flexibility + comfort from such gloves

will have to visit a riding gear shop and try a few

I've been running these for almost a year and still like them.

I go oversize nowadays so donning them is easier with my sweaty hands.

As long as the cuff is good enough to keep them from being ripped off.

http://www.paddock.co.th/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=335&virtuemart_category_id=35&Itemid=625

They look nice, but for that price, and with no wrist protection, I think one can do better perhaps.

I prefer gauntlet gloves now though. They give protection going a bit up your wrists too.

Same.

I was using Alpine Stars with the carbon knuckle protection and liked them, but have since moved to gauntlet gloves as well. Just a little extra protection...

Still get cramps in mostly my throttle hand in both gloves.

I agree about not ever riding without gloves. I low sided once over 20 years ago leaning into turn and not wearing gloves or a helmet. I was more of a dumb cowboy then. My head never hit the ground luckily, but I used my hand as a brake pad as I slid along the blacktop road. Tore all the skin off the palm of my hand needless to say and then the fire station nearby had to clean all the gravel out of my exposed flesh with a metal wire brush. Over 20 years later I still haven't forgotten the pain of that.

holy sh*t

I don't think it's uncommon. Lots of people who get road rash get bits of the road and other fragments from the pavement embedded into their flesh.

When I had my accident I stood up and saw the fire station in the distance and I chose to go there as it was closer than any hospital where I was at the time and I felt I needed some immediate first aid. I figured a fire station would be equipped for at least basic first aid and I was right. When I walked in the fireman took one look at me and pulled out the steel wire brush immediately as if it was standard operating procedure for giving first aid to victims of motorcycle accidents. It was a very painful 5 minutes to say the least, not to mention all the regular hemoglobin pouring out of my exposed palm for the next month until the skin finally managed to grow back.

So I'm guessing that fireman had seen plenty of motorcycle accidents and knew what to do. I can imagine the treatment to extract the gravel as fast as possible before the flesh gets septic is probably a similar procedure even now over 20 years later. Wear your gloves mates!