4TH JULY CELEBRATION

jarhead50200

According to Steve Yarnold's privately circulated "Coming Up" email of events in Chiang Mai, there are several other options for gathering to celebrate on July 4th.

The Soho Bar on Huay Kaew Rd is having a party from 8 pm onwards. Steve's email claims special offers on plate of traditional BBQ ribs and potato salad for 100 B and large beer 90B with live music PLUS fireworks. I'm not certain how they're going to launch fireworks over Huay Kaew Rd!

And then there is the Dance Party at Chiang Mai Hall at Central Airport Plaza featuring Sukie, Boyd and Somkiat (whoever they are!). Doors open at 6 pm, concert starts at 7 pm and finishes at approximately 9:30 pm. Tickets 800B or 1500B if you want 3 "complimentary" drinks. (that's in excess of River Market's prices!) You can get your tickets at Central Airport Plaza or Central Festival. Nothing is mentioned in Steve's email about what kind of music Sukie, Boyd and Somkiat play and whether any food in included in the 800B ticket price.

So, there you go! You have opportunity to party elsewhere on July 4th!

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not certain how they're going to launch fireworks over Huay Kaew Rd!

There are fireworks launched over Huay Kaew Rd on almost every holiday. Three or four different locations just between the Shell station and Kad Suan Kaew. I don't know what goes on west of there. Someone also sets them off from the top of the hotel.

Members of CEC should buy their discounted tickets either at the General Meeting this Saturday morning at Le Meridien or at Breakfast Club, Friday July 3, 9:30 - 11:30 am at River Market. No CEC discounted tickets will be available after Breakfast Club on July 3rd.

As to if regularly priced tickets will be available at the door on July 4th -- that depends on whether the event is sold out or not.

Edited by NancyL

Here's an update on most of the raffle prizes for the event. Sponsored by the local branch of the VFW. There is actually more prizes but this was as of Friday afternoon. See you there. Total value of the raffle prizes is close to 100,000 Baht. That's to all who gave.

Saha Asia Pacific(Twin Peak)

TV40” LED

Bankok Hospital

Health Check up

RAM Hospital

Health Check up

The Empress Hotel

Ticket each for 1 Night Stay w/Breakfast,

Peak Spa :

Gift Certificates

Hair Cut or Wash

Shangri - La China Kitchen

Gift Certificates

Upper Crust Restaurant Bakery :

100 baht Certificates

Holiday Inn

Lunch Gift Certificates

O’Malley Irish Pub

Gift Certificates

Payab University

Cash and T-Shirt

Ayu-Rajeev Suchada:

Holistic Medicine

Yaang Come Village

Gift Voucher, 1 night stay w/breakfast,

Fashion King

Texedo or Luxury Suit for women or man,

Butter is Better

Cake Gift Certificates

Wine Connection

Gift Certificates

Pizza & Pasta

Gift Certificates

Rimping Supermarket

Gift Basket

Lava Cafe :

Gift Certificate, Four Sets of 2 Dinner Tickets.

David’s Kitchen

Gift Certificates

Da Antonio Ristorante Italiano

Gift Certificates

The Higeway Cafe and Restaurant

Gift Certificates

Lum Lum Korean Restaurant

Gift Certificates

Nok Airlines

Tickets CM to BKK

I meant thanks to all that gave, contributed and a big thanks to the VFW for doing a fine job. The raffle will go on throughout the day with the big prizes raffled off just before the fireworks. Along with getting one ticket upon entrance you can purchase more tickets for 100 Baht per ticket all day. You must be present to win.

D

About what time the fireworks? I like the big bright and noisy pops in the sky. No rain forecast so should be well seen by all in town.

While at Duke's we can cheer on the USA women's football team. Maybe Duke will make a big RED/WHITE/BLUE cake with a cute footballer on top.

Dave always likes to keep the exact time of the fireworks a bit of mystery to prevent people from simply congregating on the bridge for the sole purpose of enjoying the fireworks show. He can't predict the exact time in advance. It depends on the vibe of the crowd ACTUALLY IN the restaurant; when the band finishes, when the many raffle prizes are awarded, etc.

To me, the highlight of the event last year was when the winner of the grand prize in the raffle announced he was giving the big flat screen TV he'd won to a hilltribe children's school in Mae Hong Song province. Way better than a few minutes of enjoyment from some fireworks.

Big screen TV to the children? That's a benefit? Charity is nice and kids are important but TVs are a menace to society as they encourage idleness, consumerism, and cultural homogeneity. IMO, better to sell the TV and donate a 1000 soccer balls and 100s of books (for example).

Not trying to be critical of good works but what's the aim of such 'charity', except self-aggrandizement?

Big screen TV to the children? That's a benefit? Charity is nice and kids are important but TVs are a menace to society as they encourage idleness, consumerism, and cultural homogeneity. IMO, better to sell the TV and donate a 1000 soccer balls and 100s of books (for example).

Not trying to be critical of good works but what's the aim of such 'charity', except self-aggrandizement?

Yet that's exactly what you are doing. Feel better now?

(Leave it to the negative TV septuagenarians to rain on any parade possible.)

Nancy L like wow I could not count all your posts on this 4 of July Party really unbelievable

Yours is post 165. I couldn't be botherd counting Nancy's posts myself, but I imagine it is 20 or so, which isn't that high considering that she is involved with it. How high can you actually count to?

Nancy L like wow I could not count all your posts on this 4 of July Party really unbelievable

I agree, it's unbelievable how helpful one person can be. Shame really that there aren't more people here like NancyL. If you are having problems counting perhaps you should consult with a doctor, maybe something is wrong with you.

This morning is the last chance for members of the CM Expats Club to purchase their discounted tickets -- at the Breakfast Club at River Market restaurant. After 11:30 am, we have to turn in the money and unsold tickets back to Dave, so no more discounted tickets available for sale.

Regular priced tickets will be available on the day of the event, of course, but advance ticket purchase and reservations will guarantee you a good table to watch the festivities.

This morning is the last chance for members of the CM Expats Club to purchase their discounted tickets -- at the Breakfast Club at River Market restaurant. After 11:30 am, we have to turn in the money and unsold tickets back to Dave, so no more discounted tickets available for sale.

Regular priced tickets will be available on the day of the event, of course, but advance ticket purchase and reservations will guarantee you a good table to watch the festivities.

I got mine this morning. Should be a good show and a real nice list of prizes also.

I think the prizes is why the wife decided to go. Plus she knows some one else that is going. She is into the talking and prizes. Her food cost will be about 50 baht. whistling.gif Maybe I can get her drink ticket. LOLclap2.gif

Thank David, Nancy, VFW, Ex Pats, Rotary, and everyone that dedicated their time and energy to make this 4th July a success, hope everyone has a good time. Even the negative TV septuagenarians that wont leave their room because they cannot stay away from complaining on TV.

Even the negative TV septuagenarians that wont leave their room because they cannot stay away from complaining on TV.

You're an ageist are you?

Some things a better left to go through to the keeper/catcher.

I hope everyone has fun tomorrow and the drought doesn't break.

Hey guys, looks like the event is going to be great. The VFW got a lot of prizes for the raffle and the office staff at The Duke's also got a few good prizes. Good job to both groups. Just to be clear, everyone gets 1 raffle ticket when they enter the event and more raffle tickets will be available for 100 Baht each. So buy some more raffle tickets to increase your chances of winning.

Aussie-American John and Friends will be playing mellow hit rock and roll tunes, Tony from Yummy Pizza and Nicki from Papa Rocks will play an acoustic set around dinner and The Chelado (evidently means The Crazy) Thai band will open at 3:30 with Beach Boys tunes.

There is kid games and adult games in the late afternoon and if you have ever been around The River Market at dusk it is really nice.

Still some tickets available at the door.

See you there tomorrow.

D

re

Big screen TV to the children? That's a benefit? Charity is nice and kids are important but TVs are a menace to society as they encourage idleness, consumerism, and cultural homogeneity.

wow ;(

and a happy 4th of july to you

dave2

post-42592-0-77650800-1435972901_thumb.j

post-42592-0-79556800-1435972938_thumb.j

post-42592-0-31590300-1435972984_thumb.j

Nice photos, Dave2!

But, do you have to keep that insensitive flat screen TV donation comment alive? From someone who clearly doesn't understand how those TVs have USB and HDMI ports and can be used to show educational presentations that teachers develop with Powerpoint or find on the Internet. From someone who probably thinks the hilltribe kids should be happy with the chalk boards they already had in their school, because that's all they had in the school that he attended.

Nice photos, Dave2!

But, do you have to keep that insensitive flat screen TV donation comment alive? From someone who clearly doesn't understand how those TVs have USB and HDMI ports and can be used to show educational presentations that teachers develop with Powerpoint or find on the Internet. From someone who probably thinks the hilltribe kids should be happy with the chalk boards they already had in their school, because that's all they had in the school that he attended.

And slide rules.....he could have bought them slide rules, dagnabbit!