4TH JULY CELEBRATION

jarhead50200

Personally I'm tired of the whole event and would be glad to be able to take the day off.

Dave

If that is the way you feel, I will give it a pass in a small effort to lighten your load.

Come on folks give Dave a break and do not go.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I'm tired of the whole event and would be glad to be able to take the day off.

Dave

If that is the way you feel, I will give it a pass in a small effort to lighten your load.

Dave you do a good job and a lot of people have a lot of fun, don't pay attention to the jealous whiners and complainers, they just want someone to feel sorry for them and they like being victims. Out of all the complainers on here count them, maybe ten out of all the people in chiang mai we get 10 habitual complainers, but then they do complain about everything in chiang mai, ha ha

Anyone who seriously thinks this event can be done for 300 baht, should have been at the 300 baht event at the Sports Stadium. Doesn't anyone remember it? It was an absolute disaster! The place was flooded with every cheap charlie of all nationalities who came for an all-you-can-eat Duke's buffet, W-A-Y more people than expected, difficult to find a wobbly chair at dirty tables in hot tents. Then everyone complained because they had to wait in line for over an hour for food and another long line for beer, much of which was warm. The band was too loud and bad. The games pathetic and don't get me started about the toilets!

To seriously think that this type of event can be done for 300 baht is pure fantasy.

If you've enjoyed similar civic events at a public park in the U.S. with fireworks and community bands, then remember your local government is footing the bill for both. That's not happening here.

I've been to every July 4th event at River Market and found them to be well-organized, great fun. Good bands and other entertainment, games for the entire family, amazing food, beer from the U.S., beautiful setting along the river, watching the kids having fun, comfortable tables in the shade with fans, good toilets. Fun from 3 pm until late. One of my favorite days of the year. Overall a very good value. Especially for members of CM Expats Club and VFW who can purchase discounted tickets in advance.

Edited by NancyL

Anyone who seriously thinks this event can be done for 300 baht, should have been at the 300 baht event at the Sports Stadium. Doesn't anyone remember it? It was an absolute disaster! The place was flooded with every cheap charlie of all nationalities who came for an all-you-can-eat Duke's buffet, W-A-Y more people than expected, difficult to find a wobbly chair at dirty tables in hot tents. Then everyone complained because they had to wait in line for over an hour for food and another long line for beer, much of which was warm. The band was too loud and bad. The games pathetic and don't get me started about the toilets!

To seriously think that this type of event can be done for 300 baht is pure fantasy.

If you've enjoyed similar civic events at a public park in the U.S. with fireworks and community bands, then remember your local government is footing the bill for both. That's not happening here.

I've been to every July 4th event at River Market and found them to be well-organized, great fun. Good bands and other entertainment, games for the entire family, amazing food, beer from the U.S., beautiful setting along the river, watching the kids having fun, comfortable tables in the shade with fans, good toilets. Fun from 3 pm until late. One of my favorite days of the year. Overall a very good value. Especially for members of CM Expats Club and VFW who can purchase discounted tickets in advance.

thanks nancy are you the only one that can speak common sense

Dave

Dave you do a good job and a lot of people have a lot of fun, don't pay attention to the jealous whiners and complainers, they just want someone to feel sorry for them and they like being victims. Out of all the complainers on here count them, maybe ten out of all the people in chiang mai we get 10 habitual complainers, but then they do complain about everything in chiang mai, ha ha

Yes, Dave, the same people complaining here and tearing down all the fine work you do also do the same thing to others trying to improve the community and offer good food and service. It's difficult, but don't let it get you down. When you look around at the crowd on July 4th, these three or four whiners won't be missed.

. If you drink 2 of the American craft beers that's another 400.

god stone the crows, 2 amercian craft beers at 200 baht a pop, say it is your wholesale price , as it is in your costs breakdown

if converted to retail prices, it is liquid gold range, never ever knew amercian craft beer was that expensivesmile.png

sincerely wish all patrons who attend, have a very nice time ,as its very special occassion for amercians

a very nice morning to allsmile.png

Just curious...

How many American expats are living in Chiang Mai province these days?

The U.S. Consulate doesn't even have a handle on that number, although you'll hear numbers that are more than 10,000-less-than-100,000 to put the estimate into an order of magnitude.

But, this isn't just a party for Americans. The headline band is Aussie John. The Master of Ceremonies is from the U.K., the opening bank is from a Thai Rotary Club. It's truly a party for all nations. I always see people from all countries at the River Market 4th of July parties.

Just curious...

The U.S. Consulate doesn't even have a handle on that number, although you'll hear numbers that are more than 10,000-less-than-100,000 to put the estimate into an order of magnitude.

But, this isn't just a party for Americans. The headline band is Aussie John. The Master of Ceremonies is from the U.K., the opening bank is from a Thai Rotary Club. It's truly a party for all nations. I always see people from all countries at the River Market 4th of July parties.

Thanks for the information, but no need to get defensive. I was asking about the population,

not how many would attend the party. I'm sure several hundred will show up.

Price for adults is fair. Kids under 30kg accompanied by adults should be free, as they eat & drink almost sweet fa. Kids over 30kg will eat the buffet clean w00t.gif

On second thoughts,not being an amurican, myself, charge what the hell you think the richer folk will be willing to pay thumbsup.gif

This year's July 4th day in Chiang Mai seems to be living up to tradition.

A day of celebration after a long, hard fought battle but sometimes it seems more like a civil war. Remember everyone it was the British who were the enemy.

I wish our American cousins a very happy day.

This year's July 4th day in Chiang Mai seems to be living up to tradition.

A day of celebration after a long, hard fought battle but sometimes it seems more like a civil war. Remember everyone it was the British who were the enemy.

I wish our American cousins a very happy day.

Good point -- and once again it seems that many of the ones doing the sniping aren't American and/or aren't planning to come.

Is it little wonder the U.S. Consulate walked away from hosting a public event years ago? It's probably easier for them to plan for things like potential terrorist attacks than a "community event".

Dave

Yes Dave, if you don't want to do it, fine, just don't, no body is forcing you, are they?

You certainly deserve a day off, take a few.

I guess I used the wrong words to express what I was thinking.

While all are invited, only those who can afford to spend several thousand baht for a family outing can go. I'm sure I'd enjoy the company, but as far as food costs go, I'd probably only eat one hamburger, one hot dog, perhaps a slice of pizza, and drink a couple of soft drinks. My wife would eat considerably less. Pretty pricy at 2,400 baht...

I'd love to come and pay for what we eat plus extra for the entertainment, but I guess that's not an option. Oh well...

I am quite certain Dave would allow you to come and just pay for the food you eat. Of course you really wouldn't want to pick up the 50,000 baht fireworks entertainment would you. This is an American celebration so in a small way I do believe it is OK to mention the difference in cost between doing it here and doing it there.

I can hardly wait for Christmas and New years Eve to see the people bashing the evenings at places that start out at 3,000 baht a head.

Perhaps you misunderstood... I'm not bashing the event. I'm just sorry that more Americans won't be able to attend. A family of four may need to spend almost 5,000 baht for the day. That's almost a month's worth of dinners in my house. I hope those who can afford to go have a great time. It sounds as if it will be a wonderful affair.

Perhaps you misunderstood. I am quite certain the price is a fair one. You like others whine about it because every Tom Dick and Harry with their kids might not be able to afford it. But what are you doing to put one on for the poor people you are defending. Nothing. Some are even going to enjoy the 50,000 baht free firework display while they support a neighborhood bar. I am sure that is OK with Dave. He will still put it on. The point is don't complain if you are unwilling to do some thing about it. Or better still don't attack the host because he is going to make a profit. Ask JC he is an expert in the field how much is a fair profit and how much will Dave make after all the freebees.

I watched part of the Japanese show. Maybe it was the wrong part but it was certainly lacking in choreography. I had the privilege of watching the world championship fire works in Vancouver one year. It didn't have any one trying to justify it's size it was just a in your face display. I believe there was four countries involved Spain won it that year. I missed the Japanese one when they held a demonstration here some years back.

Like I said I can hardly wait to hear the nay sayers attack the prices on many of the Christmas and New years events. They make this look like a second rate event cost wise. Just so there is no misunderstanding I will not be attending not because of the money but because it would all be meaningless to my wife. Perhaps if Dave had some Thai food. She is a real Thai of the old school variety. If it isn't Thai it is not good.

Well said Nancy. Many people did not plan ahead when they moved to Thailand and can not afford a nice celebration. So they try to deride it.

If they are not American it is understandable. Not sure why it matters to them but then again their is a strong anti American sentiment amongst people. I my self am borderline. But I have no problem supporting the celebration put on at the scale Dave is for in my case 1,000 baht. 1,200 would also be acceptable.

Also many of the people crying about the cost of the food do not realize it is not the lowest price food Dave could find. He uses quality products prepared in very clean conditions.

Enough said on this topic. Some object to Dave making money on it some object to the cost with out taking into consideration the free show expenses. In general it boils down to people not wanting to pay a fair price for the whole package.

Edited by northernjohn

Perhaps you misunderstood. I am quite certain the price is a fair one. You like others whine about it because every Tom Dick and Harry with their kids might not be able to afford it. But what are you doing to put one on for the poor people you are defending.

No one suggested the price was unfair. Why do you?

Why do you think making a comment is a 'whine?' Is it because the comment disagrees with your viewpoint?

Who is defending poor people? Do you assume that because we say 1,200 baht is a lot of money we've suddenly turned into the White Knight? And you assume that because we think it's a lot of money (the fact that it's worth it or not is irrelevant) it becomes our responsibility to create something less costly? Get real! I'm retired. I'm not allowed to operate a business (and that's what this event is, right? A profit-making business venture. And nothing wrong with that fact either.)

The point is don't complain if you are unwilling to do some thing about it.

Are you unable to see the difference between making a comment and making a complaint? It's not that difficult.

or better still don't attack the host because he is going to make a profit.

Wow! Have you gone off your meds? Where have I attacked the host? This is becoming quite bizarre!

I watched part of the Japanese show. Maybe it was the wrong part

Obviously...

I will not be attending

Right.... smile.png

I went last year, my first time. I found too much blasting noise ('pop music) thus little opportunity to meet and chat with new folks.

Far too much emphasis on food. As if that is the true and only reason for this party. Not hammering on Dave as it's his restaurant where food is his forte.

Too many gazing at the mobile device, those folks not interested in meeting me, the new guy. Since in a restaurant, not much space or reason to offer alternative activities, besides eating and drinking alcohol.

Many, most perhaps, Thai ladies eating only a small portion of white rice, a few veggies. In short, from what i saw, too much food and thus food waste, too much unwanted noise, too little to do. Not a good value.

As i rode my pedal bike home, i did enjoy the fireworks over the city. Thanks for that.

I went last year, my first time. I found too much blasting noise ('pop music) thus little opportunity to meet and chat with new folks.

Far too much emphasis on food. As if that is the true and only reason for this party. Not hammering on Dave as it's his restaurant where food is his forte.

Too many gazing at the mobile device, those folks not interested in meeting me, the new guy. Since in a restaurant, not much space or reason to offer alternative activities, besides eating and drinking alcohol.

Many, most perhaps, Thai ladies eating only a small portion of white rice, a few veggies. In short, from what i saw, too much food and thus food waste, too much unwanted noise, too little to do. Not a good value.

As i rode my pedal bike home, i did enjoy the fireworks over the city. Thanks for that.

I agree that Aussie John can be loud and that's why we've got a couple other musical acts.

Also Dave insisted this year that the games aren't just for the kids, but for everyone. Of course, we had some fun talking about exactly what type of "adult games" would be suitable, but let's just say they're for the whole family. Well, one that's in the works may not be of interest for the kids -- a hot chili pepper eating contest.

I won't be in Thailand to attend, but I would like to suggest that non-alcohol priced tickets be offered next time. Some of us don't drink ...and I have one kid who barely eats also, and I can't eat much ...in our case we would probably share a hamburger, have a piece of pizza, and snack on the Mexican things (great idea), drink water and a diet coke. And that is if we spend a long time there.

Maybe non-drinkers equals not enough profit? If so, then I can't complain. But it is a tad expensive, and if you can't drink /don't drink (don't want to drink and drive) it would be nice to not fork over so much for that.

Anyway, Happy 4th of July !!

Dave

"The real shame is that one of these years I might get tired of subsidizing this event with all the bitching and moaning that goes on around it."

And to qualify the statement; including from those that don't go but are so jealous that they want to ruin it for everyone. That's the real shame. Pretty sad.

Edited by theDukes

"The real shame is that one of these years I might get tired of subsidizing this event with all the bitching and moaning that goes on around it."

And to qualify the statement; including from those that don't go but are so jealous that they want to ruin it for everyone. That's the real shame. Pretty sad.

I'm curious why you assume that people discussing the high cost of the event are jealous?

Jealous of what? Very few expats are so destitute that if they really 'wanted' to attend they could come up with the cash. I suggest that they, as well as myself, simply don't consider it worth the cost. I don't see how this 'ruins' anything for anyone! Perhaps you are being a bit melodramatic...

I'm sure the food is excellent, the music nice, and the games entertaining, but to me, it's not how I wish to spend my money or my time. I'm certainly not jealous of those who do. As NancyL has told us, there are some 10,000 Americans in Chiang Mai. What percentage of them will think it's worth the money? Apparently it was necessary to hire an Australian band as well as a Thai band to draw in people of other nationalities. From this, do we infer than not enough Americans would come? And if so, why not? Are all the ones who don't want to come 'jealous' of those who do? Somehow, I doubt it.

Just curious...

Thanks for the information, but no need to get defensive. I was asking about the population,

not how many would attend the party. I'm sure several hundred will show up.

As of last year it was estimated that 18,000 Americans lived in Chiang Mai Province. I got this from Thai immigration last year.

Sorry but there was no prepaid for drinks at the 2010 event. One of the problems there. Now with the prepay it makes it easy for staff. At the last event that I remember you at, junglechef, you might be surprised to find that your bill upstairs with Gary, was one of the ones left over at the end of the night. Uh Oh, how did that happen? I'm not sure how it happened, just that it did. It's academic at this point and I can't remember if I mentioned it to you but I did to Gary. He said he paid it and I left it at that.

Do the math here. 1200 Baht that included 2-4 drinks, music, entertainment, fireworks and security, taxes and a small tip for the staff. Starting price after tax and 5% service for staff is 1070. 15000 for stage and lighting, 15000 for music and entertainment, 15000 for security, 50000 for fireworks and another 5000 Baht for posters, tickets and incidentals means it cost 100000 baht before the day begins. At 200 people that's 500 per person, (at 300 people that's 330 per person.) Left with 1070-500=570. If you drink 2 of the American craft beers that's another 400. That leaves a whole day of BBQ, games and door prizes for 170 Baht. You're the economist.

Sure it would be great to have a free event where people just showed up and cooked out but there is a lot more involved. Got an alternative? I'd love to not lose money for 1 year. You pay the 100000 Baht and we can have a free event at your house. Personally I'm tired of the whole event and would be glad to be able to take the day off.

That being said the price of the tickets is well below what one would spend at any event in the US. This year's event will be even nicer with a new format. Some groups have paid and/or donated time for the privileged of offering their members a discount. Expat Club and VFW are the two this year. Last year we offered the same deal to ThaiVisa. They did not take us up on the offer. The option is still available for ThaiVisa this year although we have not been as aggressive about finding donations, sponsors and door prizes this year and we have left it mostly up to the VFW. The VFW does make some funds from the raffles and does contribute to the fireworks.

This year;

We will open at 3:00 this year and at 3:30 we have a Thai band of old guys that play surfer music and we will have some snacks like a nacho bar, quesadillas, taquitos, wings and a few other appetizers. They will play till 4:25 when the Rotary will do the kid and adult games till 5:15 or so and then at 5:00 or 5:15 we will do the BBQ and put out the food. All during this time the VFW will be giving out door prizes. Sometime during dinner Nikki from the old Guitar-man will do an acoustic set with one of his friends. The VFW will do some more door prizes. After that The American-Aussie John Experience will do a set of American classics. Then the VFW will give away the grand prizes and we will have the last set by American-Aussie John and the fireworks.

Lots of fun. I don't know the cutoff for the young ones but there is one. Probably 4 and under for free with 2 paying adults. Bring proof of age, passport, birth certificate, house paper and an affidavit from the headman of your village area. All documents should be notarized and certified. With copies please bring the originals and be prepared to have them inspected. See you there.

The real shame is that one of these years I might get tired of subsidizing this event with all the bitching and moaning that goes on around it.

Dave

Well, Dave, you popped your cork about the same time along in pre-party preparations as last year. Don't blame you, but it would not be a shame at all if you got "tired of subsidizing this event," as you said, just a loss of community goodwill, as any good businessman knows. So, next year, take the day off instead! Not a shame. Just do it! Have a couple of beers with friends! Actually, it would be more approriate considering that this is Thailand.

Why it is appropriate for Americans to celebrate their Independence Day with fireworks over Thailand's Ping River? That makes one wonder. A bit ostentatious, don't you think? The Riverside Restaurant in Chiang Mai is not a town square in the States. And there is no town mayor to make a speech!

This celebration started out as a garden party event at the American Consulate, a long-held tradition worldwide where national holidays have been similarly celebrated on national turf. The consulate grounds are US national turf in international law. But too many Americans made it an awkward unsustainable affair in Chiang Mai. The Americans should find their own backyards for a friendly barbecue. Now, the national holiday seems to be nothing more than an unseemly brawl over the price of a couple of warm beers and clean toilets!

Edited by Mapguy

I'm curious why you assume that people discussing the high cost of the event are jealous?

Jealous of what? Very few expats are so destitute that if they really 'wanted' to attend they could come up with the cash. I suggest that they, as well as myself, simply don't consider it worth the cost. I don't see how this 'ruins' anything for anyone! Perhaps you are being a bit melodramatic...

I'm sure the food is excellent, the music nice, and the games entertaining, but to me, it's not how I wish to spend my money or my time. I'm certainly not jealous of those who do. As NancyL has told us, there are some 10,000 Americans in Chiang Mai. What percentage of them will think it's worth the money? Apparently it was necessary to hire an Australian band as well as a Thai band to draw in people of other nationalities. From this, do we infer than not enough Americans would come? And if so, why not? Are all the ones who don't want to come 'jealous' of those who do? Somehow, I doubt it.

Or you could infer that there aren't very many acceptable bands in Chiang Mai that play the style of music that appeals to the target audience. That'd be my guess.

Holidays are for Amateurs and/or weekend warriors. I went to the "free party" at the Consulate in 2008, and it was total wankerville. They even let a truly Democrat organization register voters as they left, and I lit a cigar, and you would have thought I defecated in public. The missionaries and their fat kids were out in droves. I love to party, only on my terms though. Explaining to people what a cold beer is makes me feel like I should be a paid consultant. Perfectly good refrigerator in the condo......

of course it would have been O.K. with you if some uptight, warmongering Republicans were registering voters on the way out...