Mushroom-picking couple released after 18 months in Thai jail

webfact

This case proves without doubt,Thailand has dual law system, rough justice for the poor,

and never do jail time for, the rich and influential even if it involves murder,corruption,and

racketeering.very pleased that someone has realized the injustice of 15 years for picking

a few mushrooms for dinner.

regards worgeordie

Yes isn't this what it's all about when you look at people like the red bull heir and others of that ilk that can buy justice or have it arranged for them because of who they are.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have trust in the judiciary - PM Prayut

If they have been in jail 18 months and the coup happened 22 may.. would this conviction not predate the coup and Prayut.. ? And were they not released early under his rule ?

Anyway.. I doubt anyone would say this is a fair punishment.

"Anyway.. I doubt anyone would say this is a fair punishment. Can you spell the word injustice?

A perfect example of those with money (Red bull cop killer) and those without and the system here.

You having trouble reading mate? you understand the bit in the OP that says social media, and injustice??? OP'ssss sorry, lets not let some old mushroom picking couple get in the way of you bro-mance.

If they have been in jail 18 months and the coup happened 22 may.. would this conviction not predate the coup and Prayut.. ? And were they not released early under his rule ?

Anyway.. I doubt anyone would say this is a fair punishment.

"Anyway.. I doubt anyone would say this is a fair punishment. Can you spell the word injustice?

A perfect example of those with money (Red bull cop killer) and those without and the system here.

You having trouble reading mate? you understand the bit in the OP that says social media, and injustice??? OP'ssss sorry, lets not let some old mushroom picking couple get in the way of you bro-mance.

I thought it was obvious that this was injustice, it amazes me that you did not read it in my post.

I thought the word ANYONE would have given it away. The mind boggles that you think that people would think this is a fair sentence. I did not even expand on that because I assumed it was clear.

Sooo...to pick a mushroom you get 15 years in prison, and for killing a Police officer with your car you get to stay in Singapore......

I wonder what punishment you get if you drive your car whilst picking a mushroom and at the same time running over a cop?

Edited by AlQaholic

You can be jailed for 18 mths for picking mushrooms from a protected forest.....but, can be convicted & sentenced to 2 yrs jail for abuse of power in land purchase deal, then flee, live life of luxury in Dubai without fear apprehension by Thai authorities.

But, pick & eat a few mushies.......go to Jail, do not pass Go + apparently, due to prior injury not treated whilst jailed, impeded from working after release!!

Thai justice system like "keystone cops" .....laughable, if weren't so serious!!

If they drove a Car and owned red bull they would not even have been to prison.

Yes, and this is possibly part of the reason the mushroom old folk were released.....to make it easier to let others off the hook in the near future without the mushroom farce being brought up again.

We know several ranked officers and politicians will be facing charges soon.

Sometimes Thailand feels like it is still a century or two behind.Justice whats that.Still very third world.

Medieval is where I place it in some aspects

A friend and I have a saying when one of us gets on our high horse to much: "Where the xxxx do you think you're living?"

All I can say about this case, thank xxxx they're out.

Shame they probably arent facebook savy, they could probably raise a few $.

The poor man has no voice in a rich man's world... This story is so dead wrong. It made me angry back then, when they were sentenced, and it still brings my blood to the boiling point today. The biggest atrocity in this case in my opinion was the fact that no one in power stepped in to put things right for these unfortunate elderly couple in time, early enough to prevent the "legal" system from destroying their lifes. I hope they will find a way and meet the right people so they can live the rest of their life together in dignity and without financial worries.

Edited by MockingJay

I can see parallels in this case to a case coming to court. I now expect the two Burmese awaiting trial in Samui to be convicted of stealing sunglasses and a phone, and to be sentenced for 30 years in jail as they didn't plead guilty. That's if the defence gets them off the murder and rape charges.

The two elderly Thais fall into the disadvantaged section of society, where there are no privileges offered, and no protection against the law should they fall foul of it. I hope they are now able to get their lives back together and receive free medical treatment for such a grave miscarriage of justice from the moment they were apprehended.

The UK is presently celebrating the 800th aniversary of the signing of the Magna Carta. That document has influenced (for the better) justice systems throughout the world. It's high time Thailand took a good look at it's system, realised the basic flaws therein and set about rectifying things.

Think about it smutty, who was in power when they were charged, convicted and put in prison ???????????????????????

Hmmm, I thought that the Judiciary was an independent organization and not under the control of the Prime Minister...

It's astonishing that Thai wealthy and individual rights and senior activists didn't demonstrate and lead a public cause for their release. Given the generosity and humanity of all Thais it is just mind boggling that no Thais would come to their aid.

If you are so concerned, and you have nothing better to do than post comments on forums, why don't you organize something ? whistling.gif

Think about it smutty, who was in power when they were charged, convicted and put in prison ???????????????????????

So like Rob you are insinuating that the judiciary can be influenced and not independent........

You don't think your first post insinuated anything? (Rhetorical question).

Usual bit of juvenile Payut bashing. But you forgot when this happened.

If you have a comment to make about the inadequacies of the justice system and or judiciary that would be different. But it was you or wanted to link it to politics.

Sooo...to pick a mushroom you get 15 years in prison, and for killing a Police officer with your car you get to stay in Singapore......

I wonder what punishment you get if you drive your car whilst picking a mushroom and at the same time running over a cop?

Depends almost entirely if the car is an import or not.

If not an import make sure you have 'Na' in your name.

Thailand be ashamed, be very ashamed!!

Meanwhile the cop killing Red Bull heir is sniffing his coke in Singapore....................coffee1.gif

Exactly, poor people get shafted and the rich brats get nothing....Thailand you need to be ashamed at the way these people were treated

This case proves without doubt,Thailand has dual law system, rough justice for the poor,

and never do jail time for, the rich and influential even if it involves murder,corruption,and

racketeering.very pleased that someone has realized the injustice of 15 years for picking

a few mushrooms for dinner.

regards worgeordie

Yes isn't this what it's all about when you look at people like the red bull heir and others of that ilk that can buy justice or have it arranged for them because of who they are.

Yep. Just look at all those "prominent" types who seem to have been encroaching on Park land and illegally using it as there own (Tarit is one example). No cases prosecuted yet? No convictions, no sentences. All dies a quite death. Red bull boy, the girl whose illegal under age driving killed several, the hiso boy who deliberately drove into a bus queue because he was depressed, killing innocents; cop killers in nightclubs etc etc.

Two tier "justice" system - simple as that.

The couple weren't given 15 years for picking a mushroom, they were given 15 years for illegal logging.

So many posts on this thread all saying the same thing, 15 years for mushroom picking, try reading the article, they were convicted of illegal logging.

Whether the convictions were correct or not is another matter but its really wearing thin reading post after post repeating the myth that you get 30 years in jail (halved for a confession) just for picking a mushroom.

If they were wrongly convicted then I'm glad that they've been released and hope they get compensated in some way although I doubt that will happen.

@Nahkit your post may be right. But how in the hell can one mistake a log for a mushroom.

They were probably locked up to cover for illegal logging for some bigh and mighty local.

The judge should be jailed himself for obviously rubber stamping a bogus confession and effectively making a couple of innocents totally destitute.

The fact nobody is pointing fingers at the judge just confirms how disgustingly rotten the justice system is at present. I hope it is reformed very soon

What a discusting story.

Sent from my c64

What a disgusting country

Its not the country wai2.gif

Everyone with half a brain knows this is unjust, there was an uproar on social media at the time from Thais.

Just the people in charge of the judicial system don't have half a brain so this is where the problem stems.