No scheme to stay on will ever make Prayut legitimate

webfact

I don't like the General - he's a prickly asshat. But he does get things done much better than any Thai politician. If he would seriously tackle police reform he would have my vote. But we know he won't. (not seriously). I have enjoyed the lack of red shirts and their idiotic violence, and would welcome having a few more years for the likes of Barnham, Chaivalit etc, to die off. But in the end - none of it really matters - time to go play with my dogs.

What exactly do you mean by "getting things done". What things?

Exactly. What has he done??? Clean up a few beaches, get rid of of a few street vendors. What about a list of so called reforms instead of all this unsubstantiated natter.

What has he done???

Your're being deliberately obtuse. You sound like the Palestinians in the movie, "Life of Brian"

Monty Python - What have the romans ever done for us https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9foi342LXQE

Edited by rametindallas

legitimacy is only a matter of power, we all know invasion of iraq was based on falsities, the scietists whose words were taken out of context commited suidicide unable to deal with implications idealistic headlines would not prevent one from being arrested for attitude adjustment or similar human right transgressions if the wrong thing is published.

Do you often ramble on about subjects unrelated to the OP? If so, I'll put you on my 'ignore' list now.

legitimacy is only a matter of power, we all know invasion of iraq was based on falsities, the scietists whose words were taken out of context commited suidicide unable to deal with implications idealistic headlines would not prevent one from being arrested for attitude adjustment or similar human right transgressions if the wrong thing is published.

Do you often ramble on about subjects unrelated to the OP? If so, I'll put you on my 'ignore' list now.
Can you put me on your ignore list as well. Thanking you in advance.

I don't like the General - he's a prickly asshat. But he does get things done much better than any Thai politician. If he would seriously tackle police reform he would have my vote. But we know he won't. (not seriously). I have enjoyed the lack of red shirts and their idiotic violence, and would welcome having a few more years for the likes of Barnham, Chaivalit etc, to die off. But in the end - none of it really matters - time to go play with my dogs.

Exactly. What has he done??? Clean up a few beaches, get rid of of a few street vendors. What about a list of so called reforms instead of all this unsubstantiated natter.

What has he done???

Your're being deliberately obtuse. You sound like the Palestinians in the movie, "Life of Brian"

Monty Python - What have the romans ever done for us https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9foi342LXQE

We know what he's done; a systematic purge of his opponents, the ones the pesky natives keep on voting into power. Apart from that...f all!

What has he done???

We know what he's done; a systematic purge of his opponents, the ones the pesky natives keep on voting into power. Apart from that...f all!

'his opponents' ?

Well, at least he has given you a 'raison etre' it would seem, plus a few other esteemed members.

What exactly did he achieve that could not have been achieved under the former system?

True or false: Despite announcements that action would be taken against land encroachment, the fact remains that the former governments of Yingluck and Abhisit initiated more actions and repossessions than the current administration. Almost all of the current actions were initiated by previous administrations.

True or False: Land encroachment continues in the Phuket and Surat Thani region.

True or False: The Democrat opposition during the Yingluck period structurally killed the rice pledging subsidy.

True or False: The military administration replaced rice purchasing subsidies with subsidies for fertilizer and irrigation water.

True or False: A new multi billion baht palm oil extraction subsidy was announced by the military administration. Exact cost details and how the plan works, have not been made public.

True or False: Corruption continues in Thailand. None of the promised big people has been charged, tried, or convicted. The legal actions against the former Yinluck government continue at speed, but not one corrupt official in Surat Thani, Krabi, Pattaya or Phuket has been brought to justice.

True or False: The jet ski thugs on Phukey have expanded their activities. Now, 50% of the Patong beach is RESERVED for the jetski and para boat operators. The public are banned from sitting anywhere in these reserved spaces. There is no enforcement of existing laws that regulate the jet skis.

True or False: Despite announcements of reforms and enforcements of existing laws, the transit mob of Phuket, Krabi, Surat Thani continues to operate and are bolder than ever.

True or False: The human trafficking increased in the first 6 months of the military administration. The Burmese trafficking slowed to a standstill only after dead bodies became too numerous to cover up and foreign countries threatened to intervene to rescue boat people.

True or False: The key people implicated in the human trafficking to date are military. The military denied for years the military was involved.

True or False: The quality of life for the majority of Thai people has deteriorated as the economy has stagnated, and costs have increased. Wages are stagnant despite there being a labor shortage.

True or False: The military budget has increased, but details of the spending are not public. (By public I refer to spending parameters as declared in countries like Japan, Australia, Canada, India etc.) Military procurement contracts are not transparent.

True or False: Civil liberties continue to be curtailed. The practice of Habeas Corpus is suspended when the military decides it is.

The reality, and it is hard for so many of the coup supporters to admit, is that the people of Thailand are much worse off today, then they were under the Yingluck administration. Had the army allowed the police to do their job and had the army not encouraged the Suthep faction by allowing the contracting out its personnel to work as guards or support the government, and had the previous military appointed election commissioners done their job, there would not have been violent protests. Suthep caused great damage to Thailand and yet there he is walking around soon to benefit form a multi billion baht palm oil subsidy.

I know who supported the troubles and it should be obvious as to which faction had a vested interest in pushing Thailand into a state of chaos.

The UDD had no interest or benefit in doing that. Abhisit and the Democrats had no interest or benefit in doing that.

Edited by geriatrickid

agree totally, two more years of peace before the politians again start their b.,.sh.t is fine by me and how easily you forget how it was before the coup, wake up

agree totally, two more years of peace before the politians again start their b.,.sh.t is fine by me and how easily you forget how it was before the coup, wake up

Ahh you mean events like this?

The Nation January 17, 2014 1:00 am

Three armed naval officers have allegedly been found working unlawfully as guards for hardline anti-government movement Students and People Network for Thailand's Reform (STR), police said yesterday. A high-ranking commander, Admiral Pichan Dhiranetra, said the three officers were naval anti-narcotics agents who may have operated at protest sites without permission. An internal investigation into their acts is underway, he said.The three officers were identified as Navy Lieutenant Phairat Phlai-ngarm and petty officers-first class Phairin Phothi and Banlang Khanthaphol, under the Royal Thai Fleet. Navy spokesman Rear Admiral Karn Dee-ubol said later that the agents were working on a case to track drug dealers from Chon Buri who blended in at protest sites, and that they would be penalised through both disciplinary and military criminal actions if found guilty.

Or how about this?

By THOMAS FULLER

FEB. 26, 2014 New York Times

The police on Wednesday arrested two armed, active-duty navy commandos who were headed to the protest area, in what was at least the second time this year that navy personnel with apparent links to protesters were arrested. In January, a group of heavily armed members of the Royal Thai Navy Seals, an elite unit, was arrested while carrying identity cards issued by protesters. The commandos arrested Wednesday were stopped during a routine traffic check, said Nattapat Padungchan, a police officer in the Bangkok district where the arrests took place.

Mr. Nattapat said the men had two handguns, ammunition and identity cards issued by the protesters that described them as “guards.”

The head of Thailand’s army this week warned that further violence would lead to Thailand’s “collapse” and criticized those calling for the use of force to overthrow the government. But the political leanings of the country’s navy, which has a separate command structure from the army, are not fully known. The head of the Navy Seals publicly criticized the government in January, saying the public does not trust the country’s leaders anymore.

By the way, Whatever became of these investigations and how come no one was ever charged for the illegal activity?

In what country does the military criticize the legally elected government? Does it happen in Germany? Singapore? South Korea? Australia? South Africa? Canada? Russia? If some Some tinpot officer criticized the leader in China, that officer would be chop suey within hours. Only in Thailand and various despot states found in Africa does the military dictate how a country will be run.

That's your paradise.

What has he done???

Monty Python - What have the romans ever done for us

Mote and beam.You are the one being obtuse.The main joke in the Monty Python sketch was that the Romans had introduced major benefits and reforms.The joke with the current geniuses running the country is that the reforms have been trivial and ineffective.

So now, that finally, there is this half decent man, with morals and scrupulous at he helm of

this deeply corrupted country, there are still people who's not happy until a good man will

be gone and a crook and plunderer will be seated again at the halls of corruptions and greed,

good honest man are not good for business, while the latter is....

"half decent man"?

The man who oversaw the slaughter of many innocents in 2010, he's not even half human, nasty little fascist!

It really doe's not matter a fig, the last government legitimate and look what that gave us---a corrupt -way out of touch PM--controlled from the desert and it was legitimate----OMG-----

My take on it is if the army is not legitimate in some posters eyes, it is performing in most fields better.

Proving that non ligitimate can do a much better job. LIKING or not LIKING the army has sod all to do with it.