Att: Americans on Social Security.

While we're on the subject of US Social Security Administration, has anyone had problems connecting to the SSA website? I have tried both ssa.gov and www.ssa.gov on both Chrome and IE 11 and always get "This webpage is not available." Am I doing something wrong? I;ve had this problem for several years now. But a few years back, I used to connect any time i wanted to.

I had the same experience. After clearing the buffer, temporary files, and everything else that is old history no longer needed I then rebooted to make sure it all cleared out, then the very next time the SSA website worked for me. It seems that I have to do this each and every time for me to gain access. Hope that fixes your problem.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While we're on the subject of US Social Security Administration, has anyone had problems connecting to the SSA website? I have tried both ssa.gov and www.ssa.gov on both Chrome and IE 11 and always get "This webpage is not available." Am I doing something wrong? I;ve had this problem for several years now. But a few years back, I used to connect any time i wanted to.

I believe they block IP addresses from Thailand, and probably many other countries. Back when I was planning to start collecting benefits, I found I could only access the site on a VPN hosted in the US.

Has anyone ever mailed in one of your own? I copied my blank one from last year. Could I just mail it in if mine is lost?

Just mailed my forum back today 84 baht air mail. I have been doing this for 6 years and have had no problem. Did a change of address about 3.5 years back by phone. No problem either.

I see my post there. Were you answering my question?

Has anyone ever mailed in one of your own? I copied my blank one from last year. Could I just mail it in if mine is lost?

That would not provide much "proof of life", as some people call this routinem, if that is actually one of their purposes.

The year that the mail lost mine I emailed it to Manila. There is a phone number on the form if they want to call and check and you have to present a passport to the bank to pick up the money. You rarely get a form if you get your money at a US bank and I imagine that is where most of the fraud is going on.

I do not present anything to get my funds. It is direct deposited to my financial institution in the US. They have no idea what happens after that. I do, however, have a mailing address that they know is delivered outside the US and I receive these forms at that address.

Last year I sent my form return registered signature required (their return address is a PO Box) and it tracked all the way to a post office in (not the SS post office) PA, USA and it has not had any updated tracking since June of 2014. I have still been receiving my funds, so I guess they got it.

SSA Manila recommends that if an annuitant has not received a 7162 by Nov each year to contact SSA Manila without delay. They want to help before pay is suspended.

Accessing most of SSA.gov from Thailand has always been trouble free for me. But I can't access the secure site 'mySocialSecurity' to create an account due to IP blocking. I haven't tried a VPN service.

SSA Manila has suffered a reduction in staff which sometimes impedes their response time. Stating fact, not excuses.

That would not provide much "proof of life", as some people call this routinem, if that is actually one of their purposes.

The year that the mail lost mine I emailed it to Manila. There is a phone number on the form if they want to call and check and you have to present a passport to the bank to pick up the money. You rarely get a form if you get your money at a US bank and I imagine that is where most of the fraud is going on.

THE LAST SENTENCE RAISES A QUESTION FOR ME: "You rarely get a form if you get your money at a US bank and I imagine that is where most of the fraud is going on."

I have had the same U.S. address for years (I don't think the IRS is even aware of it) I received my SS payments direct to my U.S. bank account - same account for many years.

This is the first I have ever heard of this form / letter. I have not qualified for the requirement to file a tax return in years, and I have not done so in years.

Should I let "the sleeping dog lie" or should I notify the IRS of my address and try to find this form online and file it? I prefer to let the dog sleep, but I do not want toeopardize my NEEDED SS payments.

Does anyone know if Americans receiving SS payments IN the U.S. are receiving this form? Or is this just for Americans living outside the U.S.?

Edited by ubonjoe
moved reply from quoted text

Do not let sleeping dogs lie...if you can't afford to miss payments, then act now! I've just started receiving benefits in March of this year. I got the form today (will mail it back tomorrow). My money is deposited in my stateside bank account. IRS, SS, and my bank only have my Thailand address. And, by the way, I set up a SS account online on their website and applied for benefits online without a problem in October 2014. I've never called or emailed the SS office in Manila for anything--everything is working fine.

Edited by mosan

Yeah, their stupid "sign-on" or "my account" page seems to have periodic chronic problems, at least from Thailand. Right now I can get through to their website, but not the sign-on page for my account.

This is my first year receiving benefits so this is the first I'm hearing about this "are you alive letter". I forgot what address I gave them, but my check goes direct deposit to my US Bank. Maybe I'll get the letter here or at my US mailing address or not at all...who knows.

I believe the benefits stop in March of the next year.

When you say just went out..... Do you mean mailed from the States?

The statement on the form says: "IMPORTANT: Failure to complete and return this form within 60 days will result in suspension of benefits." It doesn't state 'when' the benefits will stop. We can only guess, unless you have some information more specific that you can share.

As to 'when' they were mailed, or from where, I have no idea. I only know that I received mine yesterday, and none of my American friends have received theirs as yet. I 'assume' they were just mailed recently.

I missed dead line several years ago and my benefits stopped the month after the sixty days. took couple of months to convince them I was still alive.

Do not let sleeping dogs lie...if you can't afford to miss payments, then act now! I've just started receiving benefits in March of this year. I got the form today (will mail it back tomorrow). My money is deposited in my stateside bank account. IRS, SS, and my bank only have my Thailand address. And, by the way, I set up a SS account online on their website and applied for benefits online without a problem in October 2014. I've never called or emailed the SS office in Manila for anything--everything is working fine.

Being able to apply online for certain SS benefits from outside the US is a relatively new service; started 2-3 years ago.

Did you set up a 'my Social Security' account online from Thailand, without using a VPN service or other IP address spoofing? If so, please tell the forum how you accomplished that.

I believe the benefits stop in March of the next year.

When you say just went out..... Do you mean mailed from the States?

The statement on the form says: "IMPORTANT: Failure to complete and return this form within 60 days will result in suspension of benefits." It doesn't state 'when' the benefits will stop. We can only guess, unless you have some information more specific that you can share.

As to 'when' they were mailed, or from where, I have no idea. I only know that I received mine yesterday, and none of my American friends have received theirs as yet. I 'assume' they were just mailed recently.

I missed dead line several years ago and my benefits stopped the month after the sixty days. took couple of months to convince them I was still alive.

How do you mean it took a couple of months to convince them (what they or you do)? Same thing happened to me and I emailed Manila and they emailed me a form to complete and I emailed it back and my benefits started in 4 days. Why would it take two months?

One thing to keep in mind about my situation is that living outside the country has NOTHING to do with me. I have maintained the same Atlanta address and U.S. bank account for years. As far as everyone is concerned - including my clients - I live and work in Atlanta.

So my initial question is whether U.S. citizens residing in the U.S. receive and have to file this notice. I am 75. I have never received such a notice. I have never missed one SS payment in 15 years. I have been an expat for 20 years living and traveling to many countries.

Answers would be GREATLY appreciated from those residing now in the U.S.

One thing to keep in mind about my situation is that living outside the country has NOTHING to do with me. I have maintained the same Atlanta address and U.S. bank account for years. As far as everyone is concerned - including my clients - I live and work in Atlanta.

So my initial question is whether U.S. citizens residing in the U.S. receive and have to file this notice. I am 75. I have never received such a notice. I have never missed one SS payment in 15 years. I have been an expat for 20 years living and traveling to many countries.

Answers would be GREATLY appreciated from those residing now in the U.S.

For people living in the USA SS has a free email question service. You don't have to give a SS number to ask a question. It is on the SS website. Why don't you ask them.

I have tried to get my congresspersons and senators to fix this problem for more than 10 years. SSA has so far refused to deal directly with any account where the beneficiary lives outside of the U.S. Even the senators could not get it fixed.

----------------------------

You may be able to access the SSA website by using a free proxy site address in the U.S. which makes you appear as if your computer is inside the U.S.

Doesn't always work, but I've done it before from here in Bangkok.

Is this form for both old age SS and for people on SSDI?

SSDI recipients using a foreign correspondence address on record with SSA will also be sent a 7162 based on the same schedule from Social Security:

If your social security number ends in 00 through 49, your letter will be mailed out in May and June of even numbered years.

If your social security number ends in 50 through 99, your letter will be mailed out in May and June of odd numbered years.

If by Nov of the respective year (odd or even) you haven't received the initial or follow-up notice to submit the form, contact the SSA office in Manila. If SSA Wilkes-Barre hasn't received an annuitant's 7162 by Dec 30th, pay will be suspended until they receive it. It takes SSA a minimum of 45 days to reinstate pay.

The requirement to submit a 7162 is based on the correspondence address given to SSA by the annuitant. A tax filing address, or bank address for pay purposes is irrelevant. Mr. Google, or an email to Manila will confirm what I've said. Good luck!

SSDI recipients using a foreign correspondence address on record with SSA will also be sent a 7162 based on the same schedule from Social Security:

If your social security number ends in 00 through 49, your letter will be mailed out in May and June of even numbered years.

If your social security number ends in 50 through 99, your letter will be mailed out in May and June of odd numbered years.

If by Nov of the respective year (odd or even) you haven't received the initial or follow-up notice to submit the form, contact the SSA office in Manila. If SSA Wilkes-Barre hasn't received an annuitant's 7162 by Dec 30th, pay will be suspended until they receive it. It takes SSA a minimum of 45 days to reinstate pay.

The requirement to submit a 7162 is based on the correspondence address given to SSA by the annuitant. A tax filing address, or bank address for pay purposes is irrelevant. Mr. Google, or an email to Manila will confirm what I've said. Good luck!

What you posted seems to imply you would only get the form every other year. I get them every year.

I contacted Manila last year and inquired about it after I didn't get the form by October They sent be a PDF file of the form and told be they could do do nothing until February if I didn't get my payment. It took about 2 weeks to get that answer Shortly after they replied I got the 2nd form that was sent. Which ended the problem other than having to send it by international EMS to be sure it got in there by the 45 days they stated I had after the 2nd notice was sent.

Edit: Form download SSA-7162 FEQ Self.pdf

I did not use a VPN or any IP spoofing software to sign up for the My Social Security account. However I did talk to a SS Rep using Skype on the US Information line, and they told me to make sure to log on during United States Eastern time zone during the specified times the site is open and to make sure I try to log on first thing at the start of the business day. One hour into the business day, the servers are so busy you may never get logged in. I followed their instructions and got in on the second try. Nothing special, just timing luck. And I was using Microsoft Internet Explorer 11 and Windows 8.1 -- not that it should make a difference. The software on Social Security's site only wanted the correct spelling of my name, my address shown on my tax returns (I've been filing from my Thailand Address since 2003), and my mother's correct maiden name the get through. Done, and done.

I did not use a VPN or any IP spoofing software to sign up for the My Social Security account. However I did talk to a SS Rep using Skype on the US Information line, and they told me to make sure to log on during United States Eastern time zone during the specified times the site is open and to make sure I try to log on first thing at the start of the business day. One hour into the business day, the servers are so busy you may never get logged in. I followed their instructions and got in on the second try. Nothing special, just timing luck. And I was using Microsoft Internet Explorer 11 and Windows 8.1 -- not that it should make a difference. The software on Social Security's site only wanted the correct spelling of my name, my address shown on my tax returns (I've been filing from my Thailand Address since 2003), and my mother's correct maiden name the get through. Done, and done.

Once again for those who refuse to listen and waste their time with VPN's and other excuses for why they can't use the site from Thailand:

post-10942-0-90674500-1434631490_thumb.p

Notwithstanding what you have written I believe a person living in Thailand will receive the forms every year.

As far as resuming benefits the following is a quote form the year I did not receive a form and didn't do anything about it and my benefits were cut off (as in believing that the forms go out every other year)

from Manila "SSA-7162 has been received and entered in the system. Please wait for approximately 2-3 business days for the reinstatement of your benefits to take effect."

I'll ask again, does anyone know if you can mail in a form downloaded from the net if yours is lost? Or do you have to request a new form from the SS main office? Also SS also has fax numbers based on your last 2 digits of SS number has anyone ever tried faxing in the 7162 form?

What you posted seems to imply you would only get the form every other year. I get them every year.

I contacted Manila last year and inquired about it after I didn't get the form by October They sent be a PDF file of the form and told be they could do do nothing until February if I didn't get my payment. It took about 2 weeks to get that answer Shortly after they replied I got the 2nd form that was sent. Which ended the problem other than having to send it by international EMS to be sure it got in there by the 45 days they stated I had after the 2nd notice was sent.

Edit: Form download attachicon.gifSSA-7162 FEQ Self.pdf

To follow-up on your question about 7162 frequency I did a reach back to a friend that works in SSA. You are correct about receiving the form annually to a Thai address. Thailand is not on the biennial list. Annuitants with a military APO/FPO address receive it biennially. Link: https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0302655005. If the link is stripped out of this message Google: RS 02655.005 Preparation and Mailing Schedule — Foreign Enforcement Program (FEP).

About SSA Manila, they helped you by sending you a blank 7162 to complete and mail to Wilkes-Barre to ensure arrival before Dec 30th. SSA Manila and the other FBUs want to help annuitants avoid pay suspension.

To follow-up on your question about 7162 frequency I did a reach back to a friend that works in SSA. You are correct about receiving the form annually to a Thai address. Thailand is not on the biennial list. Annuitants with a military APO/FPO address receive it biennially. Link: https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0302655005. If the link is stripped out of this message Google: RS 02655.005 Preparation and Mailing Schedule — Foreign Enforcement Program (FEP).

About SSA Manila, they helped you by sending you a blank 7162 to complete and mail to Wilkes-Barre to ensure arrival before Dec 30th. SSA Manila and the other FBUs want to help annuitants avoid pay suspension.

Manila emailed me a 7162 form which I completed and emailed back to them and they emailed it to SS in USA and benefits started in 3 days.

Thanks for the update! After many failed attempts and much frustration I finally accessed the create an account page and created an account at 0023 eastern time. It's not just about operating hours. Your point about persistence and best time to try was right on, except that I used near the end of operating hours. A bud of mine used an IP proxy service and got in to the page immediately. I suppose mileage will vary.

The my Social Security create an account page says must have a US address. When I tried to use a certain US address the web page says "could not identify you". When I used the address known by the credit reporting agencies, no problem. Thanks again!

(Thank you to the OP and mods for permitting this slight diversion from main topic)

Manila emailed me a 7162 form which I completed and emailed back to them and they emailed it to SS in USA and benefits started in 3 days.

To help educate forum members do you mind providing more details about your experience? Such as was your pay already suspended and that's when Manila helped you? If you don't mind I may have other process questions depending on your reply. Thanks.

To help educate forum members do you mind providing more details about your experience? Such as was your pay already suspended and that's when Manila helped you? If you don't mind I may have other process questions depending on your reply. Thanks.

My pay was already suspended, I let it go for a month because I don't go to the bank every month to pick up the money. It was a couple of years ago.

PS do you know if the bar codes on the back side of 7162 form change every year?

Yeah, their stupid "sign-on" or "my account" page seems to have periodic chronic problems, at least from Thailand. Right now I can get through to their website, but not the sign-on page for my account.

This is my first year receiving benefits so this is the first I'm hearing about this "are you alive letter". I forgot what address I gave them, but my check goes direct deposit to my US Bank. Maybe I'll get the letter here or at my US mailing address or not at all...who knows.

Now I'm not drawing SS yet but have my online account. Up until a few months ago I could access the public SSA webite and logon to my account with my Thailand IP address....now I can only access the public site but not the login page when on my Thailand IP address. Ditto for the military MyAccess (www.dmdc.osd.mil) website where you an logon and access a variety of DOD websites/accounts with just one User ID/Password. I'm on a True plan in Bangkok.

I can only log onto my SSA or MyAccess accounts if I'm using my StrongVPN service which gives me a U.S. IP address. In fact, I just tried logging in to my SSA account Friday/today 7:30pm Thailand time/8:30am U.S. Eastern Time (a few minutes ago)....when trying to reach the login page with a Thailand IP address results in a page not available type response...turn on my VPN connection and I can reach the logon page no problem and logon no problem. I get the same results when going through my DTAC internet connection (i.e., no can logon to my accounts unless on a VPN connection). I get the same results whether trying two of my laptops....two different machines...one running Win 7 and one running Win 8.1. I've even reloaded the DOD internet certificates to ensure that wasn't the problem. I've even tried with and without the True proxy setup.

For an example of the browser error messages I get below is what happens when trying to reach www.dmdc.osd.mil (the MyAccess DOD website).

IE11 Msg

post-55970-0-63689200-1434716534_thumb.j

Chrome Msg

post-55970-0-77425700-1434716553_thumb.j

Yeap, for me using either True or DTAC to logon onto my SSA account or reach MyAccess account I have to use VPN. I just wonder if the recent breach in the OPM personnel database supposedly by China with possible routing through Thailand (I read that in a news article) has caused some U.S. agencies like SSA and DOD to restrict access to certain logon sites....and of course they would have got internal word and started possibly blocking certain countries before the OPM breach became public over the last few weeks. Oh yea, a couple of years ago to access the U.S. Embassy ACS Appt web site (which is really a State Dept site) I had to use VPN...I called ACS about it and they said others had called regarding the same problem....then after about six months the problem just went away...I just tried accessing the ACS Appt website using my Thailand IP Address and connected no problem...VPN not needed.

Anyway, I must use VPN to reach certain U.S. govt logon pages....didn't use to have to do that....but now I do. Maybe True and DTAC have some certificate issues....maybe the problem is all on my computers...I don't know...I've had similar issues over the years....I just know VPN always fixed the connection problem.