Att: Americans on Social Security.

Yes, you may download and mail a 7162 to Wilkes-Barre. UbonJoe attached a blank 7162 in reply #47. A Google search also gives an SSA link to the current 2011 version of the 7162, but the 7162 is not available directly on the SSA forms page, go figure.

Ubon Joe did not mail in the form he posted he mailed in the one they sent him.

What is your source for saying, "you may download and mail a 7162 to Wilkes Barre?" I see nothing anywhere that says anything except to mail back the 7162 they mail you and it's not the same as the one you can download because the one sent from SS has a bar code with your name and SS number.

I didn't write that ubonjoe mailed in the PDF version Manila sent him, but he could have and likely was preparing to do so before he received the second notice barcoded 7162 in the mail. I don't speak for Joe so you can ask him directly.

Based on personal experience Wilkes-Barre accepts a 7162 that was downloaded and correctly completed. Knowingly allowing one's monthly SS annuity to be suspended just because they didn't receive a barcoded 7162 doesn't seem prudent, especially when that individual knows a blank 7162 is available - the same PDF version Manila sent to ubonjoe.

In Reply #54 you wrote that Manila emailed you a 7162 after your benefits were suspended. I doubt Manila gave you a barcoded form.

Manila emailed me a non bar coded 7162 (tiff format) and I emailed that back to them. I don't think they they mailed anything to the USA because it was too quick. I assume they updated my information on a computer database because it only took 3 days.

You wrote, "Based on personal experience Wilkes-Barre accepts a 7162 that was downloaded and correctly completed." Is that your or another persons experience from Thailand and when did it happen?

Excellent questions. My personal experience in 2012 and my friend's before that. After not receiving a first or second notice 7162 my bud told me to get a blank one from the FBU that covered the country we were living in (location irrelevant). I FedEx'd the 7162 to Wilkes-Barre. No suspension. Done and dusted.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am living in Thailand but have a US mailing address (my son's house) can he send this in for me?

If you have a US mailing address what is there to mail ?

It has been clearly stated in this thread that you only get the "are you still alive form" if you have a foreign address

sorry I missed it I'm slow but fun to watch thanks

When you say just went out..... Do you mean mailed from the States?

The statement on the form says: "IMPORTANT: Failure to complete and return this form within 60 days will result in suspension of benefits." It doesn't state 'when' the benefits will stop. We can only guess, unless you have some information more specific that you can share.

As to 'when' they were mailed, or from where, I have no idea. I only know that I received mine yesterday, and none of my American friends have received theirs as yet. I 'assume' they were just mailed recently.

I got my form today. As FolkGuitar states, on the actual form it does say what he has posted. I made a post that I thought the 60 days starts from the date of the form.

On the instructions page that came with my form today, it says:

"..... complete your report and return it to ......... in the enclosed envelope within60 days from the day you receive it. If you do not return it promptly, we may stop sending checks to you."

I guess just get it in as fast as you can.

Is this form for both old age SS and for people on SSDI?

SSDI recipients using a foreign correspondence address on record with SSA will also be sent a 7162 based on the same schedule from Social Security:

If your social security number ends in 00 through 49, your letter will be mailed out in May and June of even numbered years.

If your social security number ends in 50 through 99, your letter will be mailed out in May and June of odd numbered years.

If by Nov of the respective year (odd or even) you haven't received the initial or follow-up notice to submit the form, contact the SSA office in Manila. If SSA Wilkes-Barre hasn't received an annuitant's 7162 by Dec 30th, pay will be suspended until they receive it. It takes SSA a minimum of 45 days to reinstate pay.

The requirement to submit a 7162 is based on the correspondence address given to SSA by the annuitant. A tax filing address, or bank address for pay purposes is irrelevant. Mr. Google, or an email to Manila will confirm what I've said. Good luck!

What you posted seems to imply you would only get the form every other year. I get them every year.

I contacted Manila last year and inquired about it after I didn't get the form by October They sent be a PDF file of the form and told be they could do do nothing until February if I didn't get my payment. It took about 2 weeks to get that answer Shortly after they replied I got the 2nd form that was sent. Which ended the problem other than having to send it by international EMS to be sure it got in there by the 45 days they stated I had after the 2nd notice was sent.

Edit: Form download attachicon.gifSSA-7162 FEQ Self.pdf

To follow-up on your question about 7162 frequency I did a reach back to a friend that works in SSA. You are correct about receiving the form annually to a Thai address. Thailand is not on the biennial list. Annuitants with a military APO/FPO address receive it biennially. Link: https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0302655005. If the link is stripped out of this message Google: RS 02655.005 Preparation and Mailing Schedule — Foreign Enforcement Program (FEP).

About SSA Manila, they helped you by sending you a blank 7162 to complete and mail to Wilkes-Barre to ensure arrival before Dec 30th. SSA Manila and the other FBUs want to help annuitants avoid pay suspension.

Good info above. Since some folks might not be able to reach the SSA https links without using VPN (like me) here's two key SSA POMS documents that explain in detail the process, the mailing schedule depending on where you live, the followup notices, and suspension of the payment in Feb assuming all the notices have not been responded to.

FEP_SSA - POMS_ RS 02655.pdf

Supension_SSA - POMS_ RS 02655.pdf

I received my form last week but, quite foolishly on my part, allowed it to get saturated with water from a torrential rain storm, so much so that I can't use it. I then sent an email to the officer in Manila explaining my situation and asked her, if possible, to have another form sent to my address in Thailand. I included my mailing address and telephone number. I also asked her if I could download the form online, print it, and fill it out with the necessary information and send it to Wilkes-Barre. I am hoping she will reply to my email.

What email address do you folks use to communicate with the Manila office. I've sent two emails a few months ago about two weeks apart asking some simple social security questions...plus I also wanted to see if their email address worked. I have yet to get a reply...I don't get a reject as a bad email address....and yes, I have checked my gmail spam folder in case they did respond and it was sent to my spam folder. Just no response.

Below is the email address I use which is from their webpage. What email address do you fine folks use to get a response? Thanks.

post-55970-0-04863900-1435026550_thumb.j

That's the address I have as well. They replied to my email with a SAA-7162 form (pdf). and said I could download it. But they gave no other directions. My guess is that I fill it out and then send it to Wilkes-Barre. This email came with a field examiners name.

Thanks. My two emails just had social security questions in general since I'm not drawing benefit yet, so maybe the office don't respond to those type of questions; maybe they only respond to folks already drawing or applying for benefits or respond to certain questions. In fact, I've sent the office three emails...I just remember there was another email I sent last year--no response.

I forgot to mention that the SAA 7162 they sent me to download had no bar code of course. I printed it so that the first and second pages where on one sheet.(front and back obviously) I am going to fill it out, put it in an plane envelope and send it to Wilkes-Barre. I don't know what else to do. The guy who sent me the form gave no instructions but only told me I could download the form.

While we're on the subject of US Social Security Administration, has anyone had problems connecting to the SSA website? I have tried both ssa.gov and www.ssa.gov on both Chrome and IE 11 and always get "This webpage is not available." Am I doing something wrong? I;ve had this problem for several years now. But a few years back, I used to connect any time i wanted to.

Works for me. Try it early or late your time. In case the ssa site is down for nightly updates or processing. In other words so it's business hours in the U.S.

There is absolutely no problem in downloading and mailing a 7162 form to Wilkes Barres without a bar code or in a plain envelope. A few years ago we moved across town and I notified Manila of the change -- even got a confirmation email. Somehow that didn't get entered into "the system" and the 7162 never caught up to us. The form I sent for him to restart the benefits definitely didn't have a bar code.

WaywardWind, we also use a Miami-based mailforwarding service and have the monthly check deposited in a U.S. bank account. We use the Miami address in filing our U.S. tax returns and for our bank and credit card accounts, but our bank (credit-union actually) knows we live in Thailand. And Hubby has to prove he's alive every year with this form.

Perhaps the difference is that we lived in Thailand when the time came for him to start his Social Security. The U.S. Consulate told us to email Manila and they set up a time for a phone conference. We asked if we could use the Miami, Fl address and they said in order to do that, Hubby would have to go to Miami to apply to start his benefit. We had no plans to make a trip to Florida and it was very easy to start the benefits over the phone with Manila. I don't understand how some people say they had to return to the U.S. to resolve a problem with Social Security. I would think the worst you'd have to do is make a trip to Manila.

There is absolutely no problem in downloading and mailing a 7162 form to Wilkes Barres without a bar code or in a plain envelope. A few years ago we moved across town and I notified Manila of the change -- even got a confirmation email. Somehow that didn't get entered into "the system" and the 7162 never caught up to us. The form I sent for him to restart the benefits definitely didn't have a bar code.

WaywardWind, we also use a Miami-based mailforwarding service and have the monthly check deposited in a U.S. bank account. We use the Miami address in filing our U.S. tax returns and for our bank and credit card accounts, but our bank (credit-union actually) knows we live in Thailand. And Hubby has to prove he's alive every year with this form.

Perhaps the difference is that we lived in Thailand when the time came for him to start his Social Security. The U.S. Consulate told us to email Manila and they set up a time for a phone conference. We asked if we could use the Miami, Fl address and they said in order to do that, Hubby would have to go to Miami to apply to start his benefit. We had no plans to make a trip to Florida and it was very easy to start the benefits over the phone with Manila. I don't understand how some people say they had to return to the U.S. to resolve a problem with Social Security. I would think the worst you'd have to do is make a trip to Manila.

I don't understand even having to go back to the US or Manilla to do anything with Social Security or Medicare for that matter

So long as you have a US address and a US Bank account, everything can be done via the Internet. I applied for and received Social Security and Medicare from here in Thailand using the online registration system and my US address and bank account (no VPN, just followed their web site timings based on EST)

Maybe the Social Security Administration has a black list of mail forwarders and that is why some people have trouble using that as a US address, but NancyL, if they let you pay your taxes using that address (a no state income tax location) I don't understand why it would be any different with Social Security.

The lady at the Scranton Social Security Office had a question about when exactly I wanted my benefits to start and I gave my MagicJack number and got a call and answered her question a day or two later

I think the folks in Manila gave you bad information.

I was living in Malta when I applied online in early December 2011, and then departed for Thailand a few days later. I used the Sarasota address when applying, and my DC bank info for direct deposits.

Right after we arrived in Thailand, I received an email to call the SS guy in Rome. I did so, explained that we were living in Thailand now, and followed that up with an email with both the Sarasota and Naklua addresses and contact points. Direct deposits to the bank in DC started shortly thereafter, and correspondence was all routed through Sarasota, a city I have never been to in my life.

Yes, it does appear the guy in Manila gave us bad info.

Perhaps SSA does know that some addresses are commercial mail forwarding addresses. But our MagicJack number has a Miami area code, same as our mail forwarder. The only thing is that we don't have the MagicJack plugged in & operational all the time; we just use the voicemail function and then return calls after we listen to the voice mail, but I don't expect that would have been a problem.

Oh well, what's done is done. Frankly, if/when we have problems with Social Security our default is to go rattle the cage at the CM Consulate and the only people they know to contact are those in Manila, so it's probably just as well Hubby started his SS with Manila.

We haven't been back to the U.S. since moving to Thailand almost 8 years ago and if we return, it will probably be "for good" and probably not to Florida, so there really wasn't much point in making SS think we lived in Florida.

Edited by NancyL
  • 2 weeks later...

I returned to the US to get SS in motion in ample time for my 62nd birthday. I have always maintained a US address, through commercial mailbox services, and bought new phone service when I arrived. I did not want anything in my SSA relationship (actually, relationship sounds funny in this case) to have anything to do with living abroad. I'd like to take this time to thank all those on tvf who posted their experiences with SSA, as they helped guide my plans and served for things to go as smoothly as they did for me. I really wanted to avoid having to deal with the Manila office. Keep it simple, ambiguity can be its own menace when dealing with gov't bureaucracy. Anywhere.

Three months before my birthday I applied online. It's not really an interactive site, just entering info into an online form that is then sent on. About two weeks later I got something in the post that said they got my application and a few weeks after that another thing in the post telling me how much I'll get and when it will start. And I was all set. I never got a telephone call from them.

The MySSA account was another story, and yes, as someone said above, their security data is based on credit reports. I had to wait two weeks for a second try because I gave a wrong answer. The MySSA thing may come in handy but it is not essential.

I don't know if this is so, but I have the impression that if you log in to MySSA regularly they will assume you're not dead, and hence no form is sent if you are in the USA.

Something else I did strictly as a precaution is set up a bank account to be used exclusively for receiving SSA deposits. No monthly charge is a good criteria. Maybe not necessary, but after all that banking craziness in 2008 (remember Washington Mutual?) I figured "why not?"

I have never received email from them regarding anything crucial, things like change of benefits etc always arrive by post.

Edited by bendejo
I don't know if this is so, but I have the impression that if you log in to MySSA regularly they will assume you're not dead, and hence no form is sent if you are in the USA.

There is no need for the form because if your SS is sent to a US bank then it is assumed that you are still alive and no form is required, has nothing to do with "MySSA"

I have only used the web site once in three years, to change the Direct Deposit, so your impression about regularly using the site is incorrect

If you have never received anything by email, have you given them your email address ?

I get email notifications whenever I make a change and rarely get letter mail

Perhaps SSA does know that some addresses are commercial mail forwarding addresses. But our MagicJack number has a Miami area code, same as our mail forwarder. The only thing is that we don't have the MagicJack plugged in & operational all the time; we just use the voicemail function and then return calls after we listen to the voice mail, but I don't expect that would have been a problem.

Oh well, what's done is done. Frankly, if/when we have problems with Social Security our default is to go rattle the cage at the CM Consulate and the only people they know to contact are those in Manila, so it's probably just as well Hubby started his SS with Manila.

We haven't been back to the U.S. since moving to Thailand almost 8 years ago and if we return, it will probably be "for good" and probably not to Florida, so there really wasn't much point in making SS think we lived in Florida.

Nancy first I appreciate all you efforts - I read a lot on TV but only say something when it catches my interest -- so you say whats the point to make it like we live in Florida - let me give you a few points - one there is no state income tax so you don't have to deal with that issue and only deal with your obligations with the IRS as you are here - two Medicare does not cover out side US - but with a US address say Florida you can purchase a Medicare advantage plan in that state that covers emergencies outside the US - so a heart attack, stroke . broken led etc is covered under the plan under US pay schedules but you must have plan b Medicare - I have a Advantage plan that I pay 0$ a month premium - they are avalable from United Health Care Atena ect so for those expats that are scared of med bills here it is a wonderful option -- plus you have SS direct deposit into say Fidelity or Schwab and transfer into BKK bank thru BKK bank NY and you don't have to deal with are you still alive - you are in control

There is no need for the form because if your SS is sent to a US bank then it is assumed that you are still alive and no form is required, has nothing to do with "MySSA"

I have only used the web site once in three years, to change the Direct Deposit, so your impression about regularly using the site is incorrect

If you have never received anything by email, have you given them your email address ?

I don't think it matters where you payments are deposited. If you change your address to here you get the annual report mailed to you. There are people that have an address here and are having the payments deposited in US banks that get the reports in the mail.

I don't think it matters where you payments are deposited. If you change your address to here you get the annual report mailed to you. There are people that have an address here and are having the payments deposited in US banks that get the reports in the mail.

It only matters if you change your address.

Of course if you notify social security that you are living in a foreign country they are going to send you the "are you still alive letter " on an annual basis. But if you don't change your address with social security and have your SS checks deposited into a US bank account then there will be no annual letter

If you have your Social Security Direct deposited to Bangkok Bank using their Direct Deposit system, that automatically insures the SS is going to know that you live in Thailand and you will get the letter

If you have your SS payments Direct Deposited to a US bank and then transfer it to Thailand via Bangkok Bank's New York branch SS is not going to know that you are residing outside of the US so you will not receive or have to worry about the annual letter

"...one there is no state income tax so you don't have to deal with that issue and only deal with your obligations with the IRS as you are here "

You don't owe, or even have to file state tax forms if you live abroad full time.

first of all you totally missed the point of the advantage of having a legal address in the US so you can purchase a Medicare Advantage policy that covers emergencies out side the US - I have one so I don't worry about many medical conditions that can arise ( heart attack, stroke, brain aneurism ect ) my policy will cover 100 of expenses after a small deductible --- in terms of your " there are 7 states that do not have a state income tax but regardless of where you live in the world if you have income derived in the other 43 states you are subject to the tax rule and regulation of the tax department of that state -- so hence I made the point to chose a state that does not have an income tax ie Florida

I returned to the US to get SS in motion in ample time for my 62nd birthday. I have always maintained a US address, through commercial mailbox services, and bought new phone service when I arrived. I did not want anything in my SSA relationship (actually, relationship sounds funny in this case) to have anything to do with living abroad. I'd like to take this time to thank all those on tvf who posted their experiences with SSA, as they helped guide my plans and served for things to go as smoothly as they did for me. I really wanted to avoid having to deal with the Manila office. Keep it simple, ambiguity can be its own menace when dealing with gov't bureaucracy. Anywhere.

Three months before my birthday I applied online. It's not really an interactive site, just entering info into an online form that is then sent on. About two weeks later I got something in the post that said they got my application and a few weeks after that another thing in the post telling me how much I'll get and when it will start. And I was all set. I never got a telephone call from them.

The MySSA account was another story, and yes, as someone said above, their security data is based on credit reports. I had to wait two weeks for a second try because I gave a wrong answer. The MySSA thing may come in handy but it is not essential.

Something else I did strictly as a precaution is set up a bank account to be used exclusively for receiving SSA deposits. No monthly charge is a good criteria. Maybe not necessary, but after all that banking craziness in 2008 (remember Washington Mutual?) I figured "why not?"

I have never received email from them regarding anything crucial, things like change of benefits etc always arrive by post.

Great information

Just to note that I applied for SSA benefit at age 62 while in Thailand. I gave them first my US UPS Store address. The next question was: Do you live at this address? I answered NO and all my SSA correspondence is sent to my PO Box here in Thailand. I have never dealt with the office in Manila -- all was handled through Bethesda, MD and all correspondence now handled through Wilkes-Barre, PA. My funds are direct deposited in a USA bank account which I can then transfer to Bangkok Bank via NYC if I so choose.

Edited by JLCrab

Nancy first I appreciate all you efforts - I read a lot on TV but only say something when it catches my interest -- so you say whats the point to make it like we live in Florida - let me give you a few points - one there is no state income tax so you don't have to deal with that issue and only deal with your obligations with the IRS as you are here - two Medicare does not cover out side US - but with a US address say Florida you can purchase a Medicare advantage plan in that state that covers emergencies outside the US - so a heart attack, stroke . broken led etc is covered under the plan under US pay schedules but you must have plan b Medicare - I have a Advantage plan that I pay 0$ a month premium - they are avalable from United Health Care Atena ect so for those expats that are scared of med bills here it is a wonderful option -- plus you have SS direct deposit into say Fidelity or Schwab and transfer into BKK bank thru BKK bank NY and you don't have to deal with are you still alive - you are in control

I thought it was illegal to keep a medicare part C (advantage) or part D if you are outside the US?

I bet if they find out you do not live in FL they very likely deny the claim.