Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Is the penalty increased

susanschwaiger

This Monday, I did not wear motorbike helmet after washing hair and was stopped by police in the dolphin round bound . (I have license, tax pater etc)

Yesterday, I went to pay the fine and it was 400 baht . I got back my license too.

Is this the correct amount ? I remember 4 years ago, when I had no license and riding wrong direction in a soi on beach road, the fine was only 600 baht---- Funny though, an Indian guy let me pay the 600 baht to him and the policeman returned my key at once

they should make it 2000

Why ?

maybe then people will start to respect the law.

Tell us what would happen in such an event where you come from.

First off this is Thailand ok, not the USA or Uk. both have different laws for this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2000 for no Helmut is just to much for the thais to pay for this small infringement of the law

I think the fine for dangerous driving should be large, helmut stuff, no small fine is ok.

wearing helmets should be optional, what happened to freedom of choice? this is not a nanny state yet. More fines for no insurance, no licence, no road tax would make far more sense, and a long ban for drunk driving.

they should make it 2000

Why ?

First off this is Thailand ok, not the USA or Uk. both have different laws for this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2000 for no Helmut is just to much for the thais to pay for this small infringement of the law

I think the fine for dangerous driving should be large, helmut stuff, no small fine is ok.

Thailand has a helmet law for 18 years.

So you mean because Thais a re poor they are allowed to ignore the law?

You mean Thais are so poor that they can afford a 50.000 Baht motorbike, but not a 250 Baht helmet, which they get free with the bike anyway?

You will know that the large amount of money paid for medical care or death by the insurance in case of an accident where the victim didn't wear a helmet, contributes to the premium they charge to their policy holders?

they should make it 2000

Why ?

Because somebody has to shovel your brains into a plastic bag, not a pleasant job I imagine, so therefore they need to be well compensated.

IMHO to drive a motorbike without a helmet is not a small infringement of the law it is stupidity beyond belief.

On the other hand even in Germany the ticket for "no helmet" is just 15 Euro. But unlike in Thailand it is not possible to pay and continue your travel without the helmet, you have to organize a helmet first.

If you wear no helmet and you have a accident with a head and or brain injury it is very likely that the insurance will claim the money back from you, as it is negligent behavior. So in the end it can cost you big $.

In Thailand a 2000 THB would be a very steep fine for a young student. Most could not pay it by themself so parents would have to pay for it.

Instead they could order them for community service. Clean the beach in a nice orange overall for two days on the weekend. Young Thais would love to collect trash all day in the sun and most areas in Thailand could use a clean up.

If you want to enter the Navy area in Sattahip you have to wear a helmet, otherwise you can not pass the security checkpoints. Very good rule.

They should also fine every policemen or school teacher the tenfold fine !

@Mykthemin, freedom of choice is a good thing, if you are alone on the road.

If you have a accident with another motorbike, car or truck you`ll involve other people in "your freedom of choice".

If you guys want to get bent out of shape about a stupid Helmut law.

When you have very very dangerous driving on the roads in thailand every day that is excepted as the norm and is ok.

Get on with it boys. coffee1.gif

But i do feel many on Thavisa dont do much driving on the roads in Thailand. ( it shows )

just a bunch of back seat drivers. coffee1.gif

IMHO to drive a motorbike without a helmet is not a small infringement of the law it is stupidity beyond belief.

On the other hand even in Germany the ticket for "no helmet" is just 15 Euro. But unlike in Thailand it is not possible to pay and continue your travel without the helmet, you have to organize a helmet first.

If you wear no helmet and you have a accident with a head and or brain injury it is very likely that the insurance will claim the money back from you, as it is negligent behavior. So in the end it can cost you big $.

In Thailand a 2000 THB would be a very steep fine for a young student. Most could not pay it by themself so parents would have to pay for it.

Instead they could order them for community service. Clean the beach in a nice orange overall for two days on the weekend. Young Thais would love to collect trash all day in the sun and most areas in Thailand could use a clean up.

If you want to enter the Navy area in Sattahip you have to wear a helmet, otherwise you can not pass the security checkpoints. Very good rule.

They should also fine every policemen or school teacher the tenfold fine !

@Mykthemin, freedom of choice is a good thing, if you are alone on the road.

If you have a accident with another motorbike, car or truck you`ll involve other people in "your freedom of choice".

no way, cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

When you have very very dangerous driving on the roads in thailand every day that is excepted as the norm and is ok.

But i do feel many on Thavisa dont do much driving on the roads in Thailand. ( it shows )

By your own admission, this would surely be even more of a reason to wear a helmet then?

By your own admission, this would surely be even more of a reason to wear a helmet then?

you dont get it do you,

The guy with no Helmut kills himself, mainly.

The guy Dangerous driving kills everyone. bah.gif

you dont get it do you,

A guy without a helmet, and who gets an accident in which he isn't at fault, will be paid by the insurance for medical cost that may be very high and would have not occurred if he wore a helmet.

In case of death, which might not have been the case if he wore a helmet, the insurance will also have to compensate the family for the loss.

Insurance companies aren't charities, so their insurance premiums to you and me, reflect the real costs they have.

So the guy with no helmet doen't only kills himself, he also kills my wallet.

you dont get it do you,

Who does not get it??

You are more likely to die from a head injury caused by an accident caused by one of these dangerous drivers if your head is not protected by a helmet. Doh!facepalm.giffacepalm.gif

Or let me simplify that for you.....you are less likely to die from a head injury if your head is protected by a helmet.....get it now?

you dont get it do you,

Who does not get it??

You are more likely to die from a head injury caused by an accident caused by one of these dangerous drivers if your head is not protected by a helmet. Doh!facepalm.giffacepalm.gif

Or let me simplify that for you.....you are less likely to die from a head injury if your head is protected by a helmet.....get it now?

Mate that pick up doing 140km over the red lights on the Sukumvit has just hit you.

bet your glad you had a Helmut on cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Get it now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Doh

It may not seem quite as stupid when you're just a vegetable on life support.

you dont get it do you,

A guy without a helmet, and who gets an accident in which he isn't at fault, will be paid by the insurance for medical cost that may be very high and would have not occurred if he wore a helmet.

In case of death, which might not have been the case if he wore a helmet, the insurance will also have to compensate the family for the loss.

Insurance companies aren't charities, so their insurance premiums to you and me, reflect the real costs they have.

So the guy with no helmet doen't only kills himself, he also kills my wallet.

Is that a proper helmet you are talking about one of them plastic peices of crap that is sold here that is more a helmet style than actual helmet.

they should make it 2000

Why ?

OK, Simple 400B fine for no helmet, and +1600B for Farangs who should know better.

As pointed out in reality 400B is a lot to to some and peanuts to others, to me the best way to deal with this minor infringement is inconvenience, make them stand in a long queue to pay the 400B while some desk clerk meticulously checks records all details, for more serious offences impound their vehicles for a week or so.

Because somebody has to shovel your brains into a plastic bag, not a pleasant job I imagine, so therefore they need to be well compensated.

exactly, the law isnt to protect riders, it to save the rest of us from having to clean up the mess afterwards

Yes wear a helmet always, newly washed hair or not.

Even a cheap Thai helmet will take some of the impact if the shits hits the fan.

I wonder what you would do if your helmet had been stolen (happened to me a number of times). Would you walk to a shop to buy a helmet, or take a chance? Certainly donning a filthy helmet from a bike taxi would be no solution. Grab a taxi? That would cost more than the helmet.

Some fundamentally flawed arguments here...

IF someone wishes not to wear a helmet that may be their choice and one I could agree with if when they come off their bike they are the only ones impacted.

However, these people have loved ones who may have to look after them in their recovery or brain damaged state.

Additionally these people who may otherwise have faced minimal injuries when involved in an accident will now become the physiological burden of whoever else was involved in the same accident (especially if the 'other party' was not at fault').

Riding without a helmet shows a level of stupidity or self-centredness.

Whether other drivers should be penalised when driving carelessly / recklessly is a moot point, because we all agree they should. The fact remains that people will continue to face unnecessary injury and death as a simple result of not wearing a helmet.

This is much the same as not wearing a seatbelt - If you prefer not to, you must be self-centered, selfish and more than a little dim witted.

IF someone wishes not to wear a helmet that may be their choice and one I could agree with if when they come off their bike they are the only ones impacted.

However, these people have loved ones who may have to look after them in their recovery or brain damaged state.

Additionally these people who may otherwise have faced minimal injuries when involved in an accident will now become the physiological burden of whoever else was involved in the same accident (especially if the 'other party' was not at fault').

Whether other drivers should be penalised when driving carelessly / recklessly is a moot point, because we all agree they should. The fact remains that people will continue to face unnecessary injury and death as a simple result of not wearing a helmet.

This is much the same as not wearing a seatbelt - If you prefer not to, you must be self-centered, selfish and more than a little dim witted.

what I find even more dimwitted is putting a helmet on but not strapping it up. the only reason I can think that a person would do that is because they have a very low IQ

A little bit off topic, but

Is that your thoughts on people from the USA. gigglem.gif

The reason you paid 600B as it was not official, the cop and the Indian guy you paid put the baht in their pockets. Seems like you are a troll, as you should know this already if you have lived here as long as you say.

Archived