Thai officials urge fugitive southern insurgents to surrender during Ramadan

webfact

Officials Urge Fugitive Southern Insurgents to Surrender During Ramadan
By Khaosod English

14345346131434534683l.jpg
Thai army officers speaking to clerics and local Muslims in Narathiwat province, 17 June 2015.

NARATHIWAT — Thai officials are urging exiled members of the southern separatist movement to visit their families and surrender to authorities during the Islamic holy month of Ramadan.

Speaking at a gathering of local Muslim clerics today, Worachate Prom-opas, a chief district officer in Narathiwat province, encouraged fugitive insurgents to return to Thailand for a fresh start.

"As for the people who were misguided and have traveled to live in neighboring countries and other areas, I'd like people to invite them to travel back and join the fasting with their family members, and urge them to start new lives," Worachate said. State officials commonly use the term “misguided” to refer to members of the separatist movement, which is seeking to form an independent Islamic state.

"It's not too late," Worachate said. "Authorities will give them fairness and assistance for the criminal cases in the best way we can."

Ramadan is expected to begin on 18-19 June, depending on the sighting of the new moon by Islamic religious authorities.

Worachate added, "This is policy of the commander of the Fourth Region Army, who wants those who were once misguided to repent and join in the development of our country and build peace together."

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1434534613

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-06-17

What a load of cobblers , you just can't help thinking that Thai's haven't a clue or indeed are clueless, what bright spark thought of this little dizzy , you do this each year and they repay in kind by blowing you up , now I would imagine 5 years in a row would be sufficient, not to mention a decade , to understand that the terrorist in the South have no intention of surrender indeed escalation of terror would most likely be the answer.coffee1.gif

Great idea. At the end of ramadan they could throw a feast for all the surrendered terrorists, and then execute them.

Thailand gets rid of terrorists, terrorists go to paradise, win/win situation.

Yep, can't see any flaws in that plan.

Not going to provoke a reaction anywhere.

Certainly will help build trust and find a peaceful solution that all can live with.

Yep, genius plan that.

Look at it from the militants' perspective: Would you surrender to the people responsible for Tak Bai? Rightly or wrongly, I suspect the southerners trust the army and their assurances about as far as they can spit...

How many were they at the brainstorming session to come up with that idea?

They do this every year, could be described as slow learners.

Been done before by 4th Region Army Command urging insurgents to surrender. There have been successes, can't remember the numbers, somewhere in the low hundreds. An example at:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Surrender-of-insurgents-genuine-30190444.html

Great idea. At the end of ramadan they could throw a feast for all the surrendered terrorists, and then execute them.

Certainly will help build trust and find a peaceful solution that all can live with.

Yep, genius plan that.

You can't? Well I can. Do you really think that anybody seriously into the separatist movement, those that are killing people to prove their point, are going to surrender and HOPE that their is no evidence to tie them to their crimes? Is "fairness and assistance for the criminal cases in the best way we can." going to get you off murder or terrorism charges?

Yep, genius plan that.

You can't? Well I can. Do you really think that anybody seriously into the separatist movement, those that are killing people to prove their point, are going to surrender and HOPE that their is no evidence to tie them to their crimes? Is "fairness and assistance for the criminal cases in the best way we can." going to get you off murder or terrorism charges?

I have nothing but utter contempt for terrorism and terrorists. However there comes a point where both sides realise the conflict is unattainable by force of arms.

That's when peace talks start.

Initiating a peace move and then murdering those who respond to it would be crass stupidity and worse if it prolonged a conflict.

Yep, genius plan that.

I have nothing but utter contempt for terrorism and terrorists. However there comes a point where both sides realise the conflict is unattainable by force of arms.

Initiating a peace move and then murdering those who respond to it would be crass stupidity and worse if it prolonged a conflict.

I bet that you are a lot of fun at parties.

Yep, genius plan that.

I bet that you are a lot of fun at parties.

You'll never know.

Something I suspect we are both immensely happy about.

Somehow I don't think muslims will consider repenting their "crimes" before a Buddhist Head of State.

Given the history of Thailand's subjugation of the Malay-Thais by the Royal Thai Military, it is the muslims who should be asking the Thai military and its surrogate "security officers" and "paramilitary" to repent.

Prayut promised peace with the muslim insurgents by end of 2015. And yet he has failed to even set a date for peace talks.

When the Malay-Thai insurgents see that the Thai people are not able to protect their own sovereignty from the military, there is little incentive for any Malay-Thai insurgent to place any trust in the Thai military to respect muslim human rights.