Eating less MUCH more important than exercise for weight control

Jingthing

Eating less is a stress.

Same is for an exercise. Exercises will make you want to eat more. Any bodybuilders will tell you to eat more stuff when you exercise :)

Sure you can get skinnier by not eating or cut your legs to become lighter because it's what you are doing by eating less.

If you start eating less your body will eat itself and guess what it will use as the first line of defense? YOur muscles.

Thats why fat people has stick-legs.

Do you know that exercises it's a new thing. People never ever exercised and didnt get fat before.

Have you ever see a fat lion or a monkey?

The key is to eat stuff that you supposed to eat evolutionary or the way God intended.

This video explains this stuff to you.

And you are welcome.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eating less is a stress.

Same is for an exercise. Exercises will make you want to eat more. Any bodybuilders will tell you to eat more stuff when you exercise smile.png

Sure you can get skinnier by not eating or cut your legs to become lighter because it's what you are doing by eating less.

If you start eating less your body will eat itself and guess what it will use as the first line of defense? YOur muscles.

Do you know that exercises it's a new thing. People never ever exercised and didnt get fat before.

The key is to eat stuff that you supposed to eat evolutionary or the way God intended.

And you are welcome.

Ever seen a fat lion or monkey.. No because they don't need to exercise as they get plenty of movement already. Humans did too before we led this easy life we do now. Have you ever seen a lion drive a car or a monkey use the train instead of walking ?

Have you ever seen shows like naked and affraid or naked and maroned where people have to live of the land and build sheter and such. They all lost huge amounts of weight by eating less and having to walk everywhere and build their own shelter. One guy lost 70 lbs in 40 days. (extreme). Your one liners don't work. They are just not logical.

God.. you believe in god.. that explains your logic. No proof he exists and I am pretty sure if there was a god he would not have said carbs are bad for you.

Calories are still important and it still works only time when not eating carbs works good is for people who have an insulin problem or when they have a unhealthy diet to start with. I have tired it all including this gimmic you are sprouting.

I am a bodybuilder and I can tell you I can control what I eat even if I workout hard, its called discipline and mental toughness. Yes it can be hard and it won't go real fast at times but it works.

Fat will be burned before muscles if you exercise because its a signal that you need your muscles so eating less combined with exercising works. That is why much research shows its the best way to loose fat (not weight) You can loose more weight by just not eating but often then you also burn your muscles (if you do it extreme). This wont happen if you exercise during a diet.

Eating less is a stress.

Same is for an exercise. Exercises will make you want to eat more. Any bodybuilders will tell you to eat more stuff when you exercise smile.png

And you are welcome.

Ever seen a fat lion or monkey.. No because they don't need to exercise as they get plenty of movement already. Humans did too before we led this easy life we do now. Have you ever seen a lion drive a car or a monkey use the train instead of walking ?

Have you ever seen shows like naked and affraid or naked and maroned where people have to live of the land and build sheter and such. They all lost huge amounts of weight by eating less and having to walk everywhere and build their own shelter. One guy lost 70 lbs in 40 days. (extreme). Your one liners don't work. They are just not logical.

God.. you believe in god.. that explains your logic. No proof he exists and I am pretty sure if there was a god he would not have said carbs are bad for you.

Calories are still important and it still works only time when not eating carbs works good is for people who have an insulin problem or when they have a unhealthy diet to start with. I have tired it all including this gimmic you are sprouting.

I am a bodybuilder and I can tell you I can control what I eat even if I workout hard, its called discipline and mental toughness. Yes it can be hard and it won't go real fast at times but it works.

Fat will be burned before muscles if you exercise because its a signal that you need your muscles so eating less combined with exercising works. That is why much research shows its the best way to loose fat (not weight) You can loose more weight by just not eating but often then you also burn your muscles (if you do it extreme). This wont happen if you exercise during a diet.

My example of God was contextual. And I tried to repeat what the guy in a video is saying :) I failed.

What he is saying in the video is:

If you believe in evolution you should not eat the stuff that was not available at least couple of generation prior of your birth.

And if you believe in God you should not eat what the God did not created.

As a bodybuilder you should know first hand. That if you don't eat right when you exercise your body will construct muscles from your other muscles. Like some guys having huge upper body and stick legs.

That's why when you exercise you should eat a lot of protein.

So by exercising you would have to eat MOAR.

Now. Fat burning is not actual a fat burning. What is happening on a bio-chemical level is that if you don't exercise and consume carbs they will go to your fat cells (by means of insulin) if you exercise they will go to your glucogen storage.

So by eating carbs you will not boost your fat storage and during nightly ketosis you will burn your longtime ago stored fat.

And to add even more. By eating carbs sooner or later you will get insulin problems. And a lot of people on this forum already FAT = INSULIN PROBLEM.

So please don't confuse them.

P.S. You sound like TIm Noakes in his youth.

Eating less is a stress.

And you are welcome.

My example of God was contextual. And I tried to repeat what the guy in a video is saying smile.png I failed.

If you believe in evolution you should not eat the stuff that was not available at least couple of generation prior of your birth.

As a bodybuilder you should know first hand. That if you don't eat right when you exercise your body will construct muscles from your other muscles. Like some guys having huge upper body and stick legs.

Now. Fat burning is not actual a fat burning. What is happening on a bio-chemical level is that if you don't exercise and consume carbs they will go to your fat cells (by means of insulin) if you exercise they will go to your glucogen storage.

So by eating carbs you will not boost your fat storage and during nightly ketosis you will burn your longtime ago stored fat.

And to add even more. By eating carbs sooner or later you will get insulin problems. And a lot of people on this forum already FAT = INSULIN PROBLEM.

No need to go zero carbs like what your advocating, just eating healthy and balanced (no processed foods) will help.

What your kind tries to say is that if you eat fat or proteins and no carbs there will be no insulin so no fat can be stored. This has been proven wrong.

Eating less carbs when there is an insulin problem (yes agree with you 100%) otherwise no need for that. I know that when I was fat I had an insulin problem and ate less carbs (not zero) and got good results.

Good that you point out the difference between not exercising and exercising on how carbs are processed. I agree there however carbs are not evil and have been around more then a few generations. (processed foods is an other story)

I have tried it all and balance works, and calories still count.

Only partially true.

Eating less what? You can eat more...if the food is healthy and low in calories and trans fats.

Example....a bowl of chopped carrots or a scoop of ice cream.

Insanely misleading

Dude, read the entire linked article in the OP:facepalm.gif

Think about it this way: If an overweight man is consuming 1,000 more calories than he is burning and wants to be in energy balance, he can do it by exercising. But exercise consumes far fewer calories than many people think. Thirty minutes of jogging or swimming laps might burn off 350 calories. Many people, fat or fit, can’t keep up a strenuous 30-minute exercise regimen, day in and day out. They might exercise a few times a week, if that.

Or they could achieve the same calorie reduction by eliminating two 16-ounce sodas each day.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/16/upshot/to-lose-weight-eating-less-is-far-more-important-than-exercising-more.html?_r=0&abt=0002&abg=0

Think about it this way: If an overweight man is consuming 1,000 more calories than he is burning and wants to be in energy balance, he can do it by exercising. But exercise consumes far fewer calories than many people think. Thirty minutes of jogging or swimming laps might burn off 350 calories. Many people, fat or fit, can’t keep up a strenuous 30-minute exercise regimen, day in and day out. They might exercise a few times a week, if that.

Or they could achieve the same calorie reduction by eliminating two 16-ounce sodas each day.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/16/upshot/to-lose-weight-eating-less-is-far-more-important-than-exercising-more.html?_r=0&abt=0002&abg=0

There is one big problem in elimination. You are drinking sodas because your brain tells you to get that energy. If you eliminate it you will be hungry and be stress your body will be thinking that bad times are coming and you will get more stored fat :)

The key is to replace sodas with something healthy. Hint: juice is same unhealthy as sodas.

There is one big problem in elimination. You are drinking sodas because your brain tells you to get that energy. If you eliminate it you will be hungry and be stress your body will be thinking that bad times are coming and you will get more stored fat smile.png

The key is to replace sodas with something healthy. Hint: juice is same unhealthy as sodas.

Actually by eliminating soda's I get more energy. Soda's are pure sugar and so is fruit juice. I drink tea most of the time, and sometimes some syrup with water (lightly flavored water this way not too much sugar). Small things do add up. The more simple sugars (processed ones) you take the more energy crashes you get. Things that take longer to digest and give off energy slowly work far better.

Eating less is a stress.

And you are welcome.

My example of God was contextual. And I tried to repeat what the guy in a video is saying smile.png I failed.

No need to go zero carbs like what your advocating, just eating healthy and balanced (no processed foods) will help.

What your kind tries to say is that if you eat fat or proteins and no carbs there will be no insulin so no fat can be stored. This has been proven wrong.

Eating less carbs when there is an insulin problem (yes agree with you 100%) otherwise no need for that. I know that when I was fat I had an insulin problem and ate less carbs (not zero) and got good results.

Good that you point out the difference between not exercising and exercising on how carbs are processed. I agree there however carbs are not evil and have been around more then a few generations. (processed foods is an other story)

I have tried it all and balance works, and calories still count.

Carbs are different. You can and should eat fiber carbs (vegetables). They will not boost your sugar and insulin. And by the way protein can't be stored in our bodies so it will become glucose(carbs). The only thing that is neutral to our body is fat (good one) there are no forced store mechanism for fat. So you can eat as much as you want and not get fat.

It's increadible what kind of researches you can find on Internet. And what kind of conclusions are made of them.

Like they would feed a monkey with saturated fat only and monkey would die aftter 1 month. Therefore a conclusion is bad for you.

They could've done the same research with water. Those are just dumb and are paid by CocaCo's ;)

And yes carbs are essential to our living. There are ones that rich in fiber like salad and tehre are ones that are rich in sugars like pasta.

When I refer to carbs in a context of getting slimmer it is obvious that a person is not eating the right carbs and he/she should abandon all the carbs that they consume.

And on the topic: you mentioned a tv-show naked and something. I love it. Espessially the part where vegetarians hunt animals :D

In any case they lose weight because there are abandoned the convenient "carbs" of our lifes and introduced alternative energy sources.

Not because of exercises.

Here's the link to the awesome guy: 70 kilos by changing diet only!!!

@EDGEHOG NET

Naked and afraid was also because of exercise.. but mainly eating less and other kinds of foods. Remember these guys had to walk a lot and look for food build shelters ect. We ourselves don't move as much as those guys and girls. Naked and affraid XL was quite fun. Similar show was naked and marooned with ed stafford.

Just shows that i like.

@EDGEHOG NET

Naked and afraid was also because of exercise.. but mainly eating less and other kinds of foods. Remember these guys had to walk a lot and look for food build shelters ect. We ourselves don't move as much as those guys and girls. Naked and affraid XL was quite fun. Similar show was naked and marooned with ed stafford.

Just shows that i like.

At first they are active but then they get shelter and know what to get how and then. It's less of a struggle and an exercise.

Let's look at the primates you would say that they are not fat because they exercise. 3 out of 24 hours they are looking for food and eating. Another 10 hours they are derping around and socializing.

Any veterenarian will tell you that to fix an animal you would need to change diet. Not to restrict it, but to change it.

And yet for the people it would be - get that pill.

Back to the topic: Eating less is bad, eating right is good. Exercises are irrelevant.

@EDGEHOG NET

Just shows that i like.

At first they are active but then they get shelter and know what to get how and then. It's less of a struggle and an exercise.

Let's look at the primates you would say that they are not fat because they exercise. 3 out of 24 hours they are looking for food and eating. Another 10 hours they are derping around and socializing.

Any veterenarian will tell you that to fix an animal you would need to change diet. Not to restrict it, but to change it.

And yet for the people it would be - get that pill.

Back to the topic: Eating less is bad, eating right is good. Exercises are irrelevant.

I don't agree that exercise is irrelevant many studies have shown those who exercise and eat right loose more fat as those who eat right alone. (synergy) I do agree though that eating right / less has more impact then exercise as exercise burn only a tiny bit of energy.

Also exercise can have great effects on insulin resistance.

They were active all the time they walked far more as normal people did and did far more physical exercise as they did before in their normal life. They did not film it all of course.

Changing a diet is always better as restricting a bad diet agree again.

Weight reduction - not easy. I finally achieved my goal.

I lived on salads - light exercise - weights & jogging.

I put down the grog & drank sodas - same, same.

Now, life is good. Everything in moderation!

• 3 weeks later...

no, its still an eenrgy balance. if you eat less but still don't do shit you still stay fat and get fatter. you only influence the rate. you need to find a way to burn the energy off. for married fatties having an affair would help, getting caught and running away will help even more. but sex with the same partner is not the optimum, sex with a new partner will raise your metabolism higher every time

wrong.....if you eat less, less than you burn you get slim. Even if you don't move at all your body needs energy. Eat less than the body need and you get slim without any exercises. It isn't good because you also loose muscles but it still works.

if you eat less you get less fat. the metabolism slows down and gets used to the safety reserve of fat it builds up. if you remain inactive your body gets better at holding onto the energy store. thus it is rate, on its own diet will not help weight control unless it is a famine diet - there are people who do this, one case a cook some ridiculous weight of flab not muscle, trianed to be a zen type monk. no food for 3 months or so with nothing but water, tea and the water used to cook rice to survive on. he lost all the weight down to 60 kg or so, his stomach collapsed , and various other medical problems replaced his obesity.

you need both in conjunction but,

if you eat the same amount and burn off all that energy and the stores by excerise you will do better. 1. the exercise will teach your body to run at higher metabolic rate, respiration and all that. thus you can achieve the weight control through exercise, wheresa the other way may be possible but at risk to your health.

As for being MUCh more important I say NOT, how could it be,

Metabolism does not slow down.

no, its still an eenrgy balance. if you eat less but still don't do shit you still stay fat and get fatter. you only influence the rate. you need to find a way to burn the energy off. for married fatties having an affair would help, getting caught and running away will help even more. but sex with the same partner is not the optimum, sex with a new partner will raise your metabolism higher every time

wrong.....if you eat less, less than you burn you get slim. Even if you don't move at all your body needs energy. Eat less than the body need and you get slim without any exercises. It isn't good because you also loose muscles but it still works.

if you eat less you get less fat. the metabolism slows down and gets used to the safety reserve of fat it builds up. if you remain inactive your body gets better at holding onto the energy store. thus it is rate, on its own diet will not help weight control unless it is a famine diet - there are people who do this, one case a cook some ridiculous weight of flab not muscle, trianed to be a zen type monk. no food for 3 months or so with nothing but water, tea and the water used to cook rice to survive on. he lost all the weight down to 60 kg or so, his stomach collapsed , and various other medical problems replaced his obesity.

you need both in conjunction but,

if you eat the same amount and burn off all that energy and the stores by excerise you will do better. 1. the exercise will teach your body to run at higher metabolic rate, respiration and all that. thus you can achieve the weight control through exercise, wheresa the other way may be possible but at risk to your health.

As for being MUCh more important I say NOT, how could it be,

Metabolism does not slow down.

Of course it will....and you will feel cold at normal temperature because body is saving energy in heating.....

• 1 month later...

I agree partly, because the one thing that is wrong here is that they only look at body-weight and not fat mass. In many of the studies they look at body-weight. However there are studies that show exercise combined with diet to be superior because they include fat loss not weight loss. With exercise you hold onto muscle and thus loose more fat. Too bad the studies did not all record that too.

Also it depends on the individual, can give many examples where it helped and where it did not. It really depends if the person is weak willed or not. Dad did nothing about his food just went from 8.000 biking kms a year to 10.000 and lost extra weight this year. He will be 5 kg lighter as before. With me the same i lost more when i combined it with exercise. But sure if your one of those guys that needs to reward himself with foods after exercise then you loose out. If you have set meals like me then you win. So it all depends on who.

But the easiest way to get rid of 500 cals, is not to eat it (H90 will come to debate that). Personally I don't exercise for weight loss (helps a bit in my case but diet is 90%). I exercise for the other benefits as no flabby body and more energy.

No I don't debate that! One thing is, without exercise if you a small person and your body optimize on efficiency, the amounts you can eat per day get really very small if you want to have a very slim body.

Some would prefer to blow out a 1000 kcal (+what you burn more because you are more muscular) on the bicycle and have a few beers and a BBQ.

But it works perfect without: Don't eat and you get slim, no exercise needed....

Yes, this is a good news for me. I hate exercising (but trying to do my best when I can).

My height is 183 cm. I believe at my age of 60 the normal weight should be 85-90 kg. What do you think?

But when my weight reached 101 kg recently I decided to do something to reduce it.

Now it has been already 3 weeks that I'm taking Reduce (Sibutramine) every day, and I am happy i have lost 6 kg almost without any physical exercise.

With the help of Reduce I was able to reduce my daily food consumption by 3 times approximately.

The results are very assuring. I will keep up taking Reduce until my weight is down to 90 kg or lower.

Be careful it has side effects and in the end your progress will slow down. This is normal for anyone loosing weight.

Yes, thank you for your advice.

So far so good, no any side effects.

I would advise exercise as its better for your body. It will ad to the quality of life. No exercise and you will age faster. Meaning you will be able to do less and less. I seen the difference between those who exercise and those that dont who are older.

Be careful it has side effects and in the end your progress will slow down. This is normal for anyone loosing weight.

I would advise exercise as its better for your body. It will ad to the quality of life. No exercise and you will age faster. Meaning you will be able to do less and less. I seen the difference between those who exercise and those that dont who are older.

Yes, I want to exercise at home.

But I don't have any home gym equipment unfortunately.

You should go to a gym try a concept 2 rower its the best. But dont buy stuff if your not sure if your going to use it many buy stuff only to let it gather dust.

• 4 weeks later...

Tons of sugar, in a fom called maltose - it's basically liquid bread.

I now eat once a day but drink beer. Been doing that for around 5 years.

I assume your getting fruit veg ect ect that you need, but the large amounts of sugar in the beer will give u 'energy ' but ultimatly undo any good, your doing and imo there will v probably be some repercussions in your health at some point.

rijit

beer doesn't have sugar, or very little.....

I love exercise, in particular bike riding, but I would rather be picky on what I eat and have a nice hour ride than spend 4 hours exercising just so I can eat whaever I want. I have other things to do!

If you exercise a lot, say 1500 kcal per day you'll get into shape automatic....no matter what you eat. Considering, you won't eat while on the bike. you won't each much the 1.5 hours before. And you'll tend or your body will demand food that is good to be able to do the same on the next day. Some wrong food won't matter if you burn 3500-4500 kcal per day.

That will work for everyone. Just most people have neither the willpower nor the time (need to work, need to take care their kids, etc) to do that. But it is no question at all that it works.

I knew actually 2 people who were obese and started with sport after divorce.....one got obsessed with the bicycle the other with running. One was lean the other who was running was just bone and skin last time I saw him.

If food is around most people eat more of it, and keep on eating it. That's human nature. We all want to repeat something which is enjoyable. The only way to stop people eating is to take away the food or prevent them in some way, which would provoke howls of derision.

Diets often don't work because people have to repeatably do something which they really don't want to do.

So exercise is the only plausible option. It may not result in people losing weight, but people will become fitter and healthier, and that is most important.

This book has helped me more than any other 'diet' book. She is a cognitive behavioral therapist (her father was the founder of CBT). Really great ways to rethink our relation to food. It's only 8 bucks for the kindle (that's what, 250 Baht?). Highly recommend it, it has changed my whole paradigm in regards to 'diet'.

http://www.amazon.com/Beck-Diet-Solution-Train-Person/dp/0848732758/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

If food is around most people eat more of it, and keep on eating it. That's human nature. We all want to repeat something which is enjoyable. The only way to stop people eating is to take away the food or prevent them in some way, which would provoke howls of derision.

Diets often don't work because people have to repeatably do something which they really don't want to do.

So exercise is the only plausible option. It may not result in people losing weight, but people will become fitter and healthier, and that is most important.

This book has helped me more than any other 'diet' book. She is a cognitive behavioral therapist (her father was the founder of CBT). Really great ways to rethink our relation to food. It's only 8 bucks for the kindle (that's what, 250 Baht?). Highly recommend it, it has changed my whole paradigm in regards to 'diet'.

http://www.amazon.com/Beck-Diet-Solution-Train-Person/dp/0848732758/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

Yes staying thin is a lifestyle change and your book might help people. You need to think different about foods.

Yes staying thin is a lifestyle change and your book might help people. You need to think different about foods.

Right, and change our 'relation' with food. The biggest thing for me was to eliminate my fear of hunger. As a kid we went hungry quite often, and once I started making enough cash to eat whatever I want3d I went into feast mode and never came out. I've create several mental tools now that have helped to retrain that part of my brain. Really in all it took about three days to get them in place and I just do a review for a few minutes once or twice a day to keep them in mind. Quite amazing.

• 4 weeks later...

You can do good exercises at home.

There are a lot of simple exercises for home and you can keep yourself healthy.

My height is 183 cm. I believe at my age of 60 the normal weight should be 85-90 kg. What do you think?

I'm 182cm, age 60, weight 76Kg ....... according to BMI, I should be 74Kg.

But I exercise a lot so am carrying a lot more muscle than a normal person.

I think you are overweight by 15-20%.

having been told i had to lose at least 3 stone,before a new aota valve replacement and a double by-pass,there was only one way,exercise was out,so it was.

a big cut down on food,less butter,chips,pies,and just about everything else,but what i found the most succesfull of all was no eating after 5pm.

In your case exercise is adviseable after your operation too. Dad had heart operation and now does a lot of biking. That helps him reduce all the medicine he has to take.

the first day i got home and found i could climb the stairs without any dificulty,i had struggled for over 5yrs.as i was and still are overwheight but apart from the odd giddy spell i am quite active,mind you old age is creeping up.its very rare i will eat after 5pm.and try and eat as much fruit as i can,and pies,curry,burgers,chips,battered fish,chocs and the odd can of cider.

i expect i can put it down to ENJOYING MY LIFE.may it last.

Your life your choices as long as your happy. But it was probably your lifestyle that gave you your heart problems.

i can definately put the causes down to my life style 1960-1999,pork dripping,chinese food,indian curries,every pie,pastie,sausages,bacon,fatty meat[lamb]

you name it i ate it.scrumpy cider,every beer that was on offer i drank anything.i still enjoy everything i mention within reason.going back to the 60's working down the coal mines,no one to advise you on what to eat and what not to,weekends out with the boys,this was life,but it opened my eye's when i went in to hospital for heart surgery just how many younger guy's were in there aswell 45-55yr olds.so eating habits had not changed.

advice eat to enjoy within reason.watch the fat thats the killer.

I thought the fat thing was recently proven to be a myth?

Doesn't current evidence point toward sugar?

More evidence supporting the thesis of this topic:

http://www.udel.edu/udaily/2015/oct/FoltynFamilyHealth102314.html

Luke’s study is unique in that she objectively measured total energy expenditure using a stable isotope technique and physical activity using accelerometers in five cohorts of African origin. Much to her surprise, Luke has found that people in less-developed countries, where the obesity prevalence is low, aren’t expending significantly more energy than those in developed nations like the U.S.

“Physical activity is important for a whole host of health benefits, but it may not be as important as we thought in the prevention of obesity,” she said. “This points to the need for strong objective measures of the factors on which we’re basing public policy.”

Luke’s work has led her to the preliminary conclusion that it’s not physical activity but rather the other side of the energy balance equation — that is, energy intake — that’s responsible for the global obesity problem.

“When you have dramatic changes in diet, with people eating more foods that are lower in nutrient density, more processed foods, you see an increase in obesity,” she said.

Archived