Eating less MUCH more important than exercise for weight control

Jingthing

having been told i had to lose at least 3 stone,before a new aota valve replacement and a double by-pass,there was only one way,exercise was out,so it was.

a big cut down on food,less butter,chips,pies,and just about everything else,but what i found the most succesfull of all was no eating after 5pm.

In your case exercise is adviseable after your operation too. Dad had heart operation and now does a lot of biking. That helps him reduce all the medicine he has to take.

the first day i got home and found i could climb the stairs without any dificulty,i had struggled for over 5yrs.as i was and still are overwheight but apart from the odd giddy spell i am quite active,mind you old age is creeping up.its very rare i will eat after 5pm.and try and eat as much fruit as i can,and pies,curry,burgers,chips,battered fish,chocs and the odd can of cider.

i expect i can put it down to ENJOYING MY LIFE.may it last.

Your life your choices as long as your happy. But it was probably your lifestyle that gave you your heart problems.

i can definately put the causes down to my life style 1960-1999,pork dripping,chinese food,indian curries,every pie,pastie,sausages,bacon,fatty meat[lamb]

you name it i ate it.scrumpy cider,every beer that was on offer i drank anything.i still enjoy everything i mention within reason.going back to the 60's working down the coal mines,no one to advise you on what to eat and what not to,weekends out with the boys,this was life,but it opened my eye's when i went in to hospital for heart surgery just how many younger guy's were in there aswell 45-55yr olds.so eating habits had not changed.

advice eat to enjoy within reason.watch the fat thats the killer.

I thought the fat thing was recently proven to be a myth?

Doesn't current evidence point toward sugar?

Yes it does.. but fat is still real caloric dense.. 9 cals per gram while protein and carbs are 4 cals per gram.. alcohol 7 cal per gram.

In the end it still comes down to energy intake (for a large part)

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Continuing on this topic, this is pretty darned CONVINCING, if you weren't already convinced. It's pretty AMAZING though how many people still believe the myth that more exercise is very important for weight loss ... I reckon it's still the MAJORITY of people.

http://www.vox.com/2016/4/28/11518804/weight-loss-exercise-myth-burn-calories

Why you shouldn't exercise to lose weight, explained with 60+ studies

3) Exercise alone is almost useless for weight loss

Yes exercise alone is almost useless.. you cant out-train a bad diet. However good exercise with a good diet will work in synergy. So its still good for fat loss to exercise. There have been many studies most show that more fat is lost if exercise is added also keeping the fat off works better if exercise is added.

Dont forget exercise helps against the insulin response.

But forget the goal is not weight loss but fat loss.. exercising will make your muscles bigger heavier.. so you loose less weight.. but its fat that counts not weight.

• 2 months later...

Be careful it has side effects and in the end your progress will slow down. This is normal for anyone loosing weight.

Yes, thank you for your advice.

So far so good, no any side effects.

I would advise exercise as its better for your body. It will ad to the quality of life. No exercise and you will age faster. Meaning you will be able to do less and less. I seen the difference between those who exercise and those that dont who are older.

I've seen quite a few athletes who look far older than their years. Exercise is good to a point - take it too far and it ages you faster than if you do no exercise at all. It's all the increased cellular oxidation from increased oxygen consumption which does it - free radical damage.

The healthiest lifestyles are probably at a lower level of exercise than you or I. I'd say we're probably a little on the extreme side. Joints wearing out faster due to extreme stress over years of lifting weights is a definite negative.

Be careful it has side effects and in the end your progress will slow down. This is normal for anyone loosing weight.

Yes, thank you for your advice.

So far so good, no any side effects.

I would advise exercise as its better for your body. It will ad to the quality of life. No exercise and you will age faster. Meaning you will be able to do less and less. I seen the difference between those who exercise and those that dont who are older.

I've seen quite a few athletes who look far older than their years. Exercise is good to a point - take it too far and it ages you faster than if you do no exercise at all. It's all the increased cellular oxidation from increased oxygen consumption which does it - free radical damage.

The healthiest lifestyles are probably at a lower level of exercise than you or I. I'd say we're probably a little on the extreme side. Joints wearing out faster due to extreme stress over years of lifting weights is a definite negative.

I seen some older bodybuilders who are still in great shape.. so I dont know. I think every body responds different but taking it to real extremes is never good. A lot really depends on your build too. Certain builds (shorter arms) take less stress with for instance bench press as longer arms. Same goes for deadlifts and other exercise. If you have a good build for it it puts less stress on your body.

I know for a fact when i slack on deadlifts i get back problems again. I have had lower back problems (could not lie on a mattress long needed a real soft one ect) but when I did deadlifts for a while those problems got a lot less.

But yes.. top athletes seem to age faster (some at least). I am not sure how extreme i take it.. I do push myself hard so probably too much as I hate it when i feel nothing.

Currently again in an upswing training and health wise. (doing juicing again with veggies and kefir all the time).

Bought some extra weight plates just to have less of a hassle switching them. Found that lazada had nice rubber 50mm weights so I got a few of those.

I seen some older bodybuilders who are still in great shape.. so I dont know. I think every body responds different but taking it to real extremes is never good. A lot really depends on your build too. Certain builds (shorter arms) take less stress with for instance bench press as longer arms. Same goes for deadlifts and other exercise. If you have a good build for it it puts less stress on your body.

I know for a fact when i slack on deadlifts i get back problems again. I have had lower back problems (could not lie on a mattress long needed a real soft one ect) but when I did deadlifts for a while those problems got a lot less.

But yes.. top athletes seem to age faster (some at least). I am not sure how extreme i take it.. I do push myself hard so probably too much as I hate it when i feel nothing.

Currently again in an upswing training and health wise. (doing juicing again with veggies and kefir all the time).

Bought some extra weight plates just to have less of a hassle switching them. Found that lazada had nice rubber 50mm weights so I got a few of those.

I don't know exactly what you mean when you say "older bodybuilders" or what age you consider as "old". Are you talking about competitive ones still on the juice? Am I an old bodybuilder, at 57? Are you an old bodybuilder in your late 40's?smile.png

Most of the old competitive guys from the 60's, 70's and 80's are looking a bit worse for wear. I wouldn't say Arnold looks too good, for example. He looks at least his age. Franco is not looking all that good either IMO.

Most seriously competitive bodybuilders are ruined when they're old due to years of abuse.

The healthier people are the ones who have always done moderate exercise throughout their lives.

As for pre-mature aging in athletes, I'm referring more to the long distance type who take it to the extreme.

I would say moderate cardio with weight training is the best place to be.

I don't know exactly what you mean when you say "older bodybuilders" or what age you consider as "old". Are you talking about competitive ones still on the juice? Am I an old bodybuilder, at 57? Are you an old bodybuilder in your late 40's?smile.png

Most of the old competitive guys from the 60's, 70's and 80's are looking a bit worse for wear. I wouldn't say Arnold looks too good, for example. He looks at least his age. Franco is not looking all that good either IMO.

Most seriously competitive bodybuilders are ruined when they're old due to years of abuse.

The healthier people are the ones who have always done moderate exercise throughout their lives.

As for pre-mature aging in athletes, I'm referring more to the long distance type who take it to the extreme.

I would say moderate cardio with weight training is the best place to be.

When i said old bodybuilder , meant non competative bodybuilder of 60+ that i seen pictures off. The ones you are talking about are top athlethes and have in the past abused their body and have stopped working out. Stallone is still in shape, the problem with exercise is you can't just stop its a live commitment. That is why your moderate (whatever that means is based on individuals) exercise is a good thing as its easier to keep doing that as doing something extreme all the time.

Cardio and weight training combined is indeed the best place and reminds me to do more cardio (something I keep telling myself but keep not doing enough cheesy.gif )

However i seem to be going well with training and food.. so who knows if i start to slowly increase my cardio a bit and get it in the routine more i might even keep to it.

When i said old bodybuilder , meant non competative bodybuilder of 60+ that i seen pictures off. The ones you are talking about are top athlethes and have in the past abused their body and have stopped working out. Stallone is still in shape, the problem with exercise is you can't just stop its a live commitment. That is why your moderate (whatever that means is based on individuals) exercise is a good thing as its easier to keep doing that as doing something extreme all the time.

Cardio and weight training combined is indeed the best place and reminds me to do more cardio (something I keep telling myself but keep not doing enough cheesy.gif )

However i seem to be going well with training and food.. so who knows if i start to slowly increase my cardio a bit and get it in the routine more i might even keep to it.

Yes, wipe the dust off that Concept 2 and get rowing.

Explaining what I mean by moderate: Stopping well short of failure. Not pushing heart rate too high.

I'm still working on this LOL. It takes a lot to break 40 year habits. This is my 41st year in the weight room.

I'm not talking about the program to get into the best possible shape (most muscles, most ripped), but the healthiest program for longevity.

Recently had some blood test preformed and my blood sugar was a bit high. Opps I love lemon ice tea well no more and have dropped about 10 kilos, pants falling off andshirts getting lose. I cut out the lemon ice tea, bread, rice, potatoes. I am eating mainly a keto diet protien, fat and veggies. I wil have a cheat day once a week and indulge some apple pie and that is it. I had started back at the gym before the blood test, but the weight loss has come mainly from cutting out the lemon ice tea and the white starches

Recently had some blood test preformed and my blood sugar was a bit high. Opps I love lemon ice tea well no more and have dropped about 10 kilos, pants falling off andshirts getting lose. I cut out the lemon ice tea, bread, rice, potatoes. I am eating mainly a keto diet protien, fat and veggies. I wil have a cheat day once a week and indulge some apple pie and that is it. I had started back at the gym before the blood test, but the weight loss has come mainly from cutting out the lemon ice tea and the white starches

Why give up all the things you love? Brew tea (green tea better), squeeze in a bit of lemon, and use a packet of non-insulin raising artifcial sweetener.

• 1 month later...

input > output = weight gain. Limit your calories to stay thin. If overweight sensibly reduce them. Decrease or eliminate simple sugar,rice,breads,potatoes,candy,chips,and other sweets and alcohol. I eat all the vegetables and fruits I can and plenty of fish and seafood.

I lost 25 kg and have maintained my present weight for 15+ years. Think of the consequences of obesity; diabetes,hypertension,cardiovascular disease, cerebrovascular disease,accelerated arthropathy and all that go with it meaning pain and suffering for you and your family or other loved one's.. If I can do it any one can.

58 minutes ago, drbill said:

input > output = weight gain. Limit your calories to stay thin. If overweight sensibly reduce them. Decrease or eliminate simple sugar,rice,breads,potatoes,candy,chips,and other sweets and alcohol. I eat all the vegetables and fruits I can and plenty of fish and seafood.

I lost 25 kg and have maintained my present weight for 15+ years. Think of the consequences of obesity; diabetes,hypertension,cardiovascular disease, cerebrovascular disease,accelerated arthropathy and all that go with it meaning pain and suffering for you and your family or other loved one's.. If I can do it any one can.

Regarding your comment about diabetes (Type 2) being a consequence of obesity - have you considered that obesity could be a consequence of diabetes (Type 2)? In many cases I believe it is. I believe that impaired glucose metabolism is responsible for many a beer gut. Intra abdominal fat is a different animal than subcutaneous fat. If we don't separate the two we can never understand then.

There are plenty of fat people who aren't diabetic and lots of thin people who are.

The problem with your theory, a widely held one, is that diabetics (Type 2) are being chastised for being wholly responsible for their disease through their eating habits and it's all their fault. 

Here's a good test to see if you have too much intra abdominal fat. Are you capable of a good stomach vacuum to the point where your ribs stick way out and your belly button feels like it's touching your spine.

Archived