Thai woman plunges to death from 3/fl while using her smart phone

webfact

Muti tasking is the problem. They drive in the middle of the road while looking for Mr Somchat's noodle bar. They run into the back of other vehicles when they are on the phone. They pour you beer over the table when someone else asks for a bucket of ice , loss of concentration. In this case multi tasking with a hole in the wall while using a phone.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One time about ten years ago, I checked into a supposedly new hotel, I think it was around sukumvit soi 22 or 24. I booked the place online, and their website had nice photos and glowing reports. I was hard up to find a hotel, so I went with this unknown. When I arrived at the hotel, I found it had no lift, although it had a lift cavity. They put me on the 3rd floor, which was a problem, since that was before I had my right knee replaced. I checked out after one night, even though I had paid for two. Of course, they did not refund my money. It seemed the place was still "under construction". But the really strange part of the story is that they did not do anything to block the entrances to the elevator shaft on all 3 floors. My floor just had a small vase with flowers in it as a warning at the edge of the dropoff. I even took photos of it, it was so unbelievable.

Do share photos with us....would love to see!

I managed to dig up 3 of the photos. It appears my memory was a bit faulty, in addition to the flower vases, there is a small clothes rack of some sort. The other 2 photos are looking down into the shaft. Notice all the electrical cables hanging there.

The strange part is actually that you completely misrepresented the situation in that hotel. The lift shaft was not exposed, there was a barrier across the door (it doesn't matter what the original purpose of the barrier was) and there was not just a small flower vase as a warning, there were 2 large flower vases on stands to make them even bigger and further block access.

Why would you take a photo down the lift shaft, what would you expect to see there apart from a shaft and cables?

One time about ten years ago, I checked into a supposedly new hotel, I think it was around sukumvit soi 22 or 24. I booked the place online, and their website had nice photos and glowing reports. I was hard up to find a hotel, so I went with this unknown. When I arrived at the hotel, I found it had no lift, although it had a lift cavity. They put me on the 3rd floor, which was a problem, since that was before I had my right knee replaced. I checked out after one night, even though I had paid for two. Of course, they did not refund my money. It seemed the place was still "under construction". But the really strange part of the story is that they did not do anything to block the entrances to the elevator shaft on all 3 floors. My floor just had a small vase with flowers in it as a warning at the edge of the dropoff. I even took photos of it, it was so unbelievable.

Do share photos with us....would love to see!

I managed to dig up 3 of the photos. It appears my memory was a bit faulty, in addition to the flower vases, there is a small clothes rack of some sort. The other 2 photos are looking down into the shaft. Notice all the electrical cables hanging there.

The strange part is actually that you completely misrepresented the situation in that hotel. The lift shaft was not exposed, there was a barrier across the door (it doesn't matter what the original purpose of the barrier was) and there was not just a small flower vase as a warning, there were 2 large flower vases on stands to make them even bigger and further block access.

Why would you take a photo down the lift shaft, what would you expect to see there apart from a shaft and cables?

A body perhaps

A body perhaps

..........of some farang who was taking photos to prove how dangerous it was?

"He said Ms Natthapapas continued talking as she stepped backward to take photos of the control panels with her smart phone without realizing that there was an elevator shaft behind her. She plunged into the shaft to her death."

Didn't even know you could take pictures and talk on your phone at the same time.

Loudspeaker- function or ear plugg-headphones?

Yeah, I guess, but I genuinely did not know that both things functioned at the same time.

No intention of ever trying to do both either.

Why? Afraid you'll stumble into a big, ugly katoey just as you utter the words "I want to rip your clothes off" to your better half?

Edit: RIP to the the poor woman, and condolences to her family. We can take the mickey here, but I think all of us have at some time goof-balled, but with not so tragic results. With me it seems to be door handles which refuse to coordinate with my hand.

Edited by WitawatWatawit

I work at one of the major aerospace defense companies in the USA. The largest category of workplace accidents there are called "distracted walking". People wandering around chatting or texting on their phones. Nobody pays attention to their surroundngs. And people walk around with one hand always having the device in their hand. Trip and stumble and harder to grab hold or break your fall. All over the world accidents like this are becoming very common, distracted drivers, distracted walkers, etc. Not much sympathy from me because I have had friends involved in accidents caused by distracted people.

Just the headline says it all......the blame for her death it seems, is that she was using her phone......and of course, no mention of safety at all.

Yep. At best the family will complain a little bit and be offered a little money to be quiet. No negligence suit or judgement will ever get levied. No USA equivalent of OSHA, or building construction safety inspectors, etc. Third world educated people working with technology and things they don't understand

Very sad tragedy. She was doing safety check on the electricity and then died from another safetybreach. RIP

She worked in the Procurement section, she would not have been performing safety checks on electrical panels.

Sad way to go and as has said many times here "Safety? What is that". Unfortunately safety is just a word and has no relevance in Thailand construction

Very sad.....a life wasted due to incompetance by the building company.

Safety first signs cover some of these sites, but are totally meaningless to the builders.....

By not providing manproof barricades at open lift shafts, handrails to stairways and etc., simply shows the complete lack of caring and disregard for their employees well being.

Anywhere else, this company would be shut down......but here in Thailand, all that's required is a small payment and case closed.....a disgraceful standard!

No this life wasn't wasted due to incompetence of the building company. It was wasted because of stupidity.

If a blind person, a mental challenged or a child would have fallen inside it would be the incompetence of the building company.

But a normal woman falling into an obvious hole is only her own fault.

Safety first signs cover some of these sites, but are totally meaningless to the builders.....

By not providing manproof barricades at open lift shafts, handrails to stairways and etc., simply shows the complete lack of caring and disregard for their employees well being.

Anywhere else, this company would be shut down......but here in Thailand, all that's required is a small payment and case closed.....a disgraceful standard!

No this life wasn't wasted due to incompetence of the building company. It was wasted because of stupidity.

If a blind person, a mental challenged or a child would have fallen inside it would be the incompetence of the building company.

You are totally wrong. The company has a responsibility to fence off open drops such as this. I suggest when you spend some time in Construction you will be better qualified to make comments. Until then please keep your idiotic remarks to yourself

Just the headline says it all......the blame for her death it seems, is that she was using her phone......and of course, no mention of safety at all.

Yep. At best the family will complain a little bit and be offered a little money to be quiet. No negligence suit or judgement will ever get levied. No USA equivalent of OSHA, or building construction safety inspectors, etc. Third world educated people working with technology and things they don't understand

With OSHA it is a task in it self to actually get to site. Things like this as you say would not happen if OSHA was in force

I know a lot of us have issues with the smartphone disease (or should I say behavioural addiction) that has run rife across a large part of the world, but what if this article was reported as the incident happened as the person what taking photos or video with a camera. It would change the editorial slant and the commentary quite a bit.

You are totally wrong. The company has a responsibility to fence off open drops such as this. I suggest when you spend some time in Construction you will be better qualified to make comments. Until then please keep your idiotic remarks to yourself

Responsible to fence that off, maybe if such a regulation exists in Thailand.

Responsible for her death: No...because it could be clearly seen and avoided by humans with working eyes.....There are often open holes to the sewage on the side walk here, and they are not filled with people who fall inside.

Responsible to fence that off, maybe if such a regulation exists in Thailand.

Responsible for her death: No...because it could be clearly seen and avoided by humans with working eyes.....There are often open holes to the sewage on the side walk here, and they are not filled with people who fall inside.

Contact me again when your brain cell has mutated. It is very evident you have never worked or beeen involved in the construction industry so I suggest to content yoourself with your manga comics until you have evolved a little further. Then maybe you will have a reasonable argument to put forward because the one you have right now is ridiculous.

Edited by gandalf12

Why was the opening to the elevator shaft not barricaded?

Because this is Thailand. Here they only talk about safety, but never practice it.

I played tennis on the top of the parking structure at Skybeach condos in north Pattaya for many months. Very close to this structure they were building a very large new 40+ story condo building. For months players had to dodge chunks of concrete and even falling pieces of metal coming off this building. There were repeated attempts from Skybeach's management to get the contractor to put up screening and after a long time they did, but debris still kept falling on the tennis courts. You could find many fairly deep dents in the concrete of the courts because the kinetic energy of the falling debris was so great.

Thailand cares very little about safety, but they do put up lots of signs saying they have good safety practices.

You should see safety standards in the boonies. I lived in a village in Phitsanulok. The workers had flimsy sandals no hard hats and muscled up pails of concrete over their head to the next floor some standing on rickety bamboo scaffolding. I watched the guy fasten down the slopping metal roof in his bare feet no harness. The building quality was not much better but that is another story.