Thai woman plunges to death from 3/fl while using her smart phone

webfact

A woman plunges to her death from the third floor while using her smart phone

RAYONG: -- An office worker was killed when she accidentally fell into an elevator shaft of a condominium under construction as she took pictures of electricity control panels with her smart phone.

The victim was identified as Ms Natthapapas Chonsawat, an employee of the procurement section of the company which is building the condominium in Rayong’s Muang district.

The victim’s colleague, Mr Viroj Choey-iam, a construction foreman, told police that Ms Natthapapas was inspecting electricity control panels on the third floor of the condominium building when her smart phone rang.

He said Ms Natthapapas continued talking as she stepped backward to take photos of the control panels with her smart phone without realizing that there was an elevator shaft behind her. She plunged into the shaft to her death.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/a-woman-plunges-to-her-death-from-the-third-floor-while-using-her-smart-phone

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/a-woman-plunges-to-her-death-from-the-third-floor-while-using-her-smart-phone

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-06-18

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Initially I thought it was a slefie that gone too far.... but this is sad....

Yes, sad but symptomatic of the intrusive danger of the way in which these wretched devices are used. It is surprising that more accidents are not reported: driving, pedestrians, on stairs....people have become obsessed with these bloody nuisance phones/tablets.

"He said Ms Natthapapas continued talking as she stepped backward to take photos of the control panels with her smart phone without realizing that there was an elevator shaft behind her. She plunged into the shaft to her death."

Didn't even know you could take pictures and talk on your phone at the same time.

Very sad.....a life wasted due to incompetance by the building company.

Safety first signs cover some of these sites, but are totally meaningless to the builders.....

By not providing manproof barricades at open lift shafts, handrails to stairways and etc., simply shows the complete lack of caring and disregard for their employees well being.

Anywhere else, this company would be shut down......but here in Thailand, all that's required is a small payment and case closed.....a disgraceful standard!

Edited by ChrisY1

"He said Ms Natthapapas continued talking as she stepped backward to take photos of the control panels with her smart phone without realizing that there was an elevator shaft behind her. She plunged into the shaft to her death."

Didn't even know you could take pictures and talk on your phone at the same time.

Loudspeaker- function or ear plugg-headphones?

Yeah, I guess, but I genuinely did not know that both things functioned at the same time.

No intention of ever trying to do both either.

Why was the opening to the elevator shaft not barricaded?

Because this is Thailand. Here they only talk about safety, but never practice it.

I played tennis on the top of the parking structure at Skybeach condos in north Pattaya for many months. Very close to this structure they were building a very large new 40+ story condo building. For months players had to dodge chunks of concrete and even falling pieces of metal coming off this building. There were repeated attempts from Skybeach's management to get the contractor to put up screening and after a long time they did, but debris still kept falling on the tennis courts. You could find many fairly deep dents in the concrete of the courts because the kinetic energy of the falling debris was so great.

Thailand cares very little about safety, but they do put up lots of signs saying they have good safety practices.

There is also the ability to video call people and switch between front and rear cameras.

I expect this can aid work (and even safety evaluations) and the real issue here is a lift shaft being left open.

How awfully sad.

Yeah, I guess, but I genuinely did not know that both things functioned at the same time.

Just another Thai reporting error--------was someone watching while she was picture taking and talking ? RIP young lady Your Country's slack laws killed you

Because this is Thailand. Here they only talk about safety, but never practice it.

I played tennis on the top of the parking structure at Skybeach condos in north Pattaya for many months. Very close to this structure they were building a very large new 40+ story condo building. For months players had to dodge chunks of concrete and even falling pieces of metal coming off this building. There were repeated attempts from Skybeach's management to get the contractor to put up screening and after a long time they did, but debris still kept falling on the tennis courts. You could find many fairly deep dents in the concrete of the courts because the kinetic energy of the falling debris was so great.

Thailand cares very little about safety, but they do put up lots of signs saying they have good safety practices.

Why the hell would you continue playing on those courts? I'm genuinely curious. I would have been out of there after seeing the first piece of debris.

whistling.gif I am 68 years old and have some problems with my mobility due to my age and a accident 6 years ago that never fully healed which forced my retirement and means I must walk slower and more carefully than other younger Thais on the street.

I have many problems with younger people who are walking on a crowd and at the same time talking on their cellphone.

They concentrate on their cellphone conversations and not where they are walking,

I can't do that, I need to look where I am going, as I can't just scramble out of their path if they make a sudden turn when they are walking in front of me and pay more attention to their cellphones than where they are walking.

I have actually seen a young woman walk into a motorcycle with a passenger while talking on her cellphone when stepping of the curb on to a road.

Fortunately for her the motorcycle had just picked up a passenger and was not moving fast. She lost her balance when hit by the bike, but didn't fall and didn't appear to be hurt.

The whole thing was due to her paying more attention to her cellphone conversation than watching the traffic in front of her.

Simple, Safety Procedures are not followed or poor training of individuals to understand hazard identification. When your living in a land where 5 on a motorbike is acceptable a barricade is the least of your worries. To many people also walk and text looking at the phone not where they are going, on the street in the office, Supermarket it's a mind set....

You only have to see how people drive Thailand has a highway code very similar to UK but it is not practiced on a junction near my home the have turned off the Traffic lights because they cause confusion, it's the one with the biggest balls that crosses first.

One time about ten years ago, I checked into a supposedly new hotel, I think it was around sukumvit soi 22 or 24. I booked the place online, and their website had nice photos and glowing reports. I was hard up to find a hotel, so I went with this unknown. When I arrived at the hotel, I found it had no lift, although it had a lift cavity. They put me on the 3rd floor, which was a problem, since that was before I had my right knee replaced. I checked out after one night, even though I had paid for two. Of course, they did not refund my money. It seemed the place was still "under construction". But the really strange part of the story is that they did not do anything to block the entrances to the elevator shaft on all 3 floors. My floor just had a small vase with flowers in it as a warning at the edge of the dropoff. I even took photos of it, it was so unbelievable.

No problem, turn on the speaker (or handsfree operation) and continue whatever you've been doing.

One time about ten years ago, I checked into a supposedly new hotel, I think it was around sukumvit soi 22 or 24. I booked the place online, and their website had nice photos and glowing reports. I was hard up to find a hotel, so I went with this unknown. When I arrived at the hotel, I found it had no lift, although it had a lift cavity. They put me on the 3rd floor, which was a problem, since that was before I had my right knee replaced. I checked out after one night, even though I had paid for two. Of course, they did not refund my money. It seemed the place was still "under construction". But the really strange part of the story is that they did not do anything to block the entrances to the elevator shaft on all 3 floors. My floor just had a small vase with flowers in it as a warning at the edge of the dropoff. I even took photos of it, it was so unbelievable.

Do share photos with us....would love to see!

Just another Thai reporting error--------was someone watching while she was picture taking and talking ? RIP young lady Your Country's slack laws killed you

Really? How about complete lack of awareness and not paying attention. If she hadn't got the call, she would still be alive. A bit extreme to blame the countries laws.

this does not sound right she was inspecting electricity panels her smart phone rang while talking she stepped back into an open elevator shaft why was it open ? it should have been panelled off and secured again a case of very bad working practises prevalent in Thailand .

i was a health and safety officer in a large factory once, (still in my head) i see every day all the workers walking into a huge condo complex being built. wearing their flip flops . i wonder is there any records kept for industrial accidents, not necessary fatal, there must be thousands of casualities.i have mentioned before, on my way to the 7/11 there is a garage .guys under big 4x4s. no wheels on, just two trolley jacks, no axle stands,(i have seen them in the garage) just a matter of time i think. oh and the obligatory flip flops.

Do share photos with us....would love to see!

I managed to dig up 3 of the photos. It appears my memory was a bit faulty, in addition to the flower vases, there is a small clothes rack of some sort. The other 2 photos are looking down into the shaft. Notice all the electrical cables hanging there.

post-1207-0-13328800-1434600408_thumb.jp

post-1207-0-68473900-1434600425_thumb.jp

post-1207-0-98630900-1434600443_thumb.jp

Don't be silly, of course you can. Took the photo below while talking to one of gf's this morning.

post-231513-14346026156975_thumb.jpg