Dengue fever spreading in Krabi

webfact

Dengue fever spreading in Krabi

18-6-2558-11-36-50-wpcf_728x406.jpg

KRABI: -- Dengue fever is spreading in Krabi province with over 400 people having been infected by the mosquito-borne disease and one has died from the infection.

Krabi public health officer Dr Manas Sophonpong said dengue infection has become serious now in Krabi as rainy season is approaching.

He said from January to June this year, accumulated dengue patients rose to 410, with a 36-year-old woman living in Lanta Island died from the infection.

He said only in June alone, there were 65 infections, 25 of which were from Muang district.

He said only in one village in Tambon Ao Nang, there were dengue patients.

(Photo : Thai PBS File)

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/dengue-fever-spreading-in-krabi

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2015-06-18

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

numbers are useless unless they can be compared with other numbers - preferably in the same place same season.

One has to ask if this is really a dramatic increase WHY?

authorities are aware of when the wet starts and of the life cycle of the Dengue-carrying mosquitoes, so did they carry out any preventative measures?

none of this is addressed in the article.

I have not seen enough diligence in respect to making sure there is no still water in many places around Thailand - so this is not a surprise.

I agree. I haven't seen a single warning or education poster in a couple of years.

In Indonesia, there are large signs all over the place, warning residents not to have stagnant water anywhere.

Singapore enforces this with the usual hip-pocket attacks to the wallet. Leaving pot plants with water in the base, in your apartment balcony, gets you a very hefty fine.

Here it does not even seem to be the usual tap on the wrist with a 100baht note.

A female aegypti mozzie stays very close to home, and outbreaks are easily tracked down. But first you have to have the get up and go to do something about it.

The Dengue campaign has been a complete failure, if successful you would not see standing fresh water anywhere.

If A mozzie bites you, chances are it breed within 100m of that point.

I believe in Malaysia or Indonesia it is illegal to have things like small ponds etc without fish in them and places are checked for this..........the Aedes aegypti can breed is as little water as a wet car tire......it just takes a rise in water level for the eggs to be triggered of........fogging when dry I understand will kill of only the adults.

WHO - claims fogging won’t harm you but people don’t like it all the same and close their doors allowing any mozzies in the house to survive.

Fogging only kills the adult mozzies....not the larvae.....and it also kills off other insects we don't want to kill....so the best way to reduce Dengue is to remover potential habitats or breeding grounds.

one died due of dengue and another 123 due of the fogging ....

Actually that's about the number of people who died in Thailand last year from dengue.

but the numbers of people who were incapacitated, lost work etc etc is tens of thousands......

Why don't they just fog the place regularly like they do in Singapore, then there wouldn't be this problem. Also get rid of all the damn soi dogs at the same time.

Actually Singapore has and has always had a serious Dengue problem; they also have very good PR....just take a look at their own Government statistics here http://www.dengue.gov.sg/subject.asp?id=74 or just Google Dengue Fever-Singapore and look!!

Why don't they just fog the place regularly like they do in Singapore, then there wouldn't be this problem. Also get rid of all the damn soi dogs at the same time.

Actually Singapore has and has always had a serious Dengue problem; they also have very good PR....just take a look at their own Government statistics here http://www.dengue.gov.sg/subject.asp?id=74 or just Google Dengue Fever-Singapore and look!!

Sorry link above is not good; try this one...http://www.dengue.gov.sg/

An education campaign about stagnant water and hefty fines for any tiny place with stagnant water found on any site for the owner.
But education and Thailand - it does not go together…

Heavy fines are a ham-fisted approach (e.g. Singapore) and many people simply can't afford to pay so it will result in all sorts of other behaviour as people try to get off without paying...remember Thailand is the hub of bribery and corruption....and can you imagine any law enforcement agecy in Thailand getting round to inspecting properties for puddles???

However a good well produced all-year-round TV and media campaign could work if it changes te mindset and makes "harbouring" dengue an anti-social thing to do.

"Your neighbour's pond could kill your children"

- perhaps a bit bit strong, but you get my drift?

Well, Dengue [if it really is Dengue which is far from certain] is very easily curable !

Problem: no pharmacy needed so no money to be made [just like Malaria]

The solution is very simple and could be solved instantly ... if anybody wanted to solve the problem.

Problems like this give Governments power as the uninformed population

always expect the "nanny" to help so they can back to their TV-Soapies and mobile phone games.

Sadly I cannot tell you the cure on here as TV [ridiculously] prevents people from helping each other ....

[...probably out of fear of being able to help people !!!]

There have been various “breakthroughs” in Mozzie control and Dengue over the past few years. Sadly they all bear one hallmark in common - the word “breakthrough” - whenever I see that word my heart sinks, because it is a media word to sell copy and not how the science works.

Firstly Thailand announced they had the vaccine - so much for that.

Then there are the bacterial “donuts

And in Cairns the genetically modified Aedes have been released in various places.

..and of course there are the completely useless "miracle" and "natural" cures (whatever natural means) that are so useless they actually stop people from taking tried and tested prophylactic measures and they subsequently get the disease

It’s not to say that these things don’t work, it is more a case of how long before all te scientific wrinkles are ironed out and what turns out to be the drawbacks when the theoretical work is put into practical use........

Well, Dengue [if it really is Dengue which is far from certain] is very easily curable !

The solution is very simple and could be solved instantly ... if anybody wanted to solve the problem.

always expect the "nanny" to help so they can back to their TV-Soapies and mobile phone games.

Sadly I cannot tell you the cure on here as TV [ridiculously] prevents people from helping each other ....

OK - I can barely read this post, but just to make it clear, there is no "cure" for dengue....and there is VERY unlikely to be one either - it's a virus.

OK - I can barely read this post, but just to make it clear, there is no "cure" for dengue....and there is VERY unlikely to be one either - it's a virus.

Viruses are pretty easy to "cure" ... as it's just a piece of information and not a living organism

the immune system can handle it quite well.

So all that's needed is a bit of help to the immune system.

Nothing new. Actually it's pretty old stuff ...

In April, a man came down our road spraying but the problem is that in Ao Nang Soi 9 where there is a Laundry, the Owners allow their business waste water to drain along the road on a daily basis making an ideal breading ground for mosquitos. The Albator were informed about the problem but as of May they have taken no action.

A similar problem exists in Ao Nang Soi 11.

It seems that only when things get into the Foreign Press does anything get done.

Viruses are pretty easy to "cure" ... as it's just a piece of information and not a living organism

absolute tripe!

It seems pretty clear you don't subscribe to the real world, or scientific thinking, but appear have a delusional view of the world which I'm willing to bet has a lot to do with some massive conspiracy?

..and you seem to have only a limited appreciation of what a virus actually is.....and even the word "cure"

absolute tripe!

It seems pretty clear you don't subscribe to the real world, or scientific thinking, but appear have a delusional view of the world which I'm willing to bet has a lot to do with some massive conspiracy?

..and you seem to have only a limited appreciation of what a virus actually is.....and even the word "cure"

Stay stuck in your science and watch people die !

There are people out there who really "cure" diseases ... something your "science" rarely does !!!

I arrived an hour early to pick my daughter up at her school one day to find the school being fogged with the children present.

Teachers and students standing there breathing in the smoke/ fog like " What could be wrong with this?"

I may have lost some "face" that day as I cussed out the teachers, told them how stupid and careless they were and then rounded up all the children from my village and took them home early!

This took place on a Friday afternoon with only an hour left of school.

They could have "fogged" the school on a Saturday when no students were present....

We now ggo to another school.

This school was fogged twice the first week of school this term....after a three month break with no students present.

It does make me wonder when I read about the IQ of school children decreasing in Thailand.

Do you think maybe the two things could possible be related???

Then again, I need to remind myself...

This Is Thailand...Mai Pen Rai.

"He said only in one village in Tambon Ao Nang, there were dengue patients"

​This is an extremely poorly written article.

Just what are they attempting to say???

Does this really mean there is only one village where no people were infected?

How many villages are there in the Tambon??

Do our friends at TV even read these things before they decide to post them???

Webfacts?

What facts?

Hmmmmmm, Strange how I've worked in Singapore many times before, and never even seen 1 mosquito. Also lived here for many years and seen 1000's of mosquito's.

post-82234-0-76768700-1434623800_thumb.j

I arrived an hour early to pick my daughter up at her school one day to find the school being fogged with the children present.

Teachers and students standing there breathing in the smoke/ fog like " What could be wrong with this?"

I may have lost some "face" that day as I cussed out the teachers, told them how stupid and careless they were and then rounded up all the children from my village and took them home early!

This took place on a Friday afternoon with only an hour left of school.

They could have "fogged" the school on a Saturday when no students were present....

We now ggo to another school.

This school was fogged twice the first week of school this term....after a three month break with no students present.

It does make me wonder when I read about the IQ of school children decreasing in Thailand.

Do you think maybe the two things could possible be related???

Then again, I need to remind myself...

This Is Thailand...Mai Pen Rai.

Willy as you know the correlation between cause and effect are different here...

Archived