Favourite Thai Word?

Neeranam

ผลัดวันประกันพรุ่ง Procrastinate (it sums me up)

lol, that's probably my second.

very onamatopaeic. :o

I thought onomatopoeic relates to a word which makes the same sound as it describes, e.g. woof, quack, splash, oink etc. I don't, therefore, see how the word procrastinate, either in Thai or English, can constitute onomatopoiea, as it doesn't describe a sound. Do you mean alliterative?

Scouse.

May seem strange but it was the first, what I consider, complex word I learned. Used it a lot just to feel it roll off my tongue. :o

พจนานุกรม pót-jà-naa-nóo grom - dictionary

Edited by tywais

?????????????????? Procrastinate (it sums me up)

very onamatopaeic. :D

I thought onomatopoeic relates to a word which makes the same sound as it describes, e.g. woof, quack, splash, oink etc. I don't, therefore, see how the word procrastinate, either in Thai or English, can constitute onomatopoiea, as it doesn't describe a sound. Do you mean alliterative?

Scouse.

Agreed ...... for all the reasons stated above.

My favourite Thai words I cannot pronounce...... 'Fire Fly' is easy in English...... in Thai however, when On tries to teach me how to say it..... we don't get very far :o .... but when she says it, it sounds so easy.... it isn't. :D

Yep, that's the one I tried to write, but spelt it wrong. :o

?????????????????? Procrastinate (it sums me up)

very onamatopaeic. :D

Scouse.

Agreed ...... for all the reasons stated above.

My favourite Thai words I cannot pronounce...... 'Fire Fly' is easy in English...... in Thai however, when On tries to teach me how to say it..... we don't get very far :o .... but when she says it, it sounds so easy.... it isn't. :D

fire-fly hing(low tone) hoi or hoy( falling tone) think of oi! as in calling someone from afar and add the'h''

บุคลิกภาพ bòok-ká-lík pâap - personality

ออกเสียงผิดนะจ๊ะ จะต้องอ่านว่า "book-ka-lik-ka-paap"

This is correct.

Technically yes,

but I wouldnt worry too much about the English characters too much. The Thai letters were perfect and that is what is important.

We all write using differnt letters and the only way to pronounce and write things correctly is to use Thai letters.

In The Rai!

here is one more

ปั่นป่วน Bun buuwan ( termoil or unstable, choppy.)

I like it at the moment when talking about the goverment. It is in termoil or it is unstable etc.

You can also use it when talking about the ocean or at the beach if it is not calm. The water is very choppy today!

In The Rai!

บุคลิกภาพ bòok-ká-lík pâap - personality

ออกเสียงผิดนะจ๊ะ จะต้องอ่านว่า "book-ka-lik-ka-paap"

This is correct.

Valid point. The system at thai2english.com is not 100% perfect - because the spelling/pronunciation of Thai are not in 100% correspondence.

I dunno but the Thai word for university sounds nice in the ear for me.

Maahaawithalajaai

Something like that....

Alex

I like that one also, bit of a tongue twister. Even working at a university though I just use the abreviations, 'maw chaw' - Chiangmai University unless I'm out of town. :o

I dunno but the Thai word for university sounds nice in the ear for me.

Maahaawithalajaai

Something like that....

Alex

It's "Ma-ha-wit-ta-ya-lai"

Maha is a Pali word = Grand, big, large, gigantic

Wittayalai is also a Pali word = college

So, Ma-ha-wit-ta-ya-lai = "Grand College"

My favorite word is ผลไม้ (fruit) as it reminds me that sometimes the rule of pronouncing a letter only once in a word can be broken. This one, as most of you know, is pronounced phon la mai instead of what normally should have been pronounced phon mai, i.e. law ling (ล) is used twice thus creating the extra syllable. I am thankful that there are only very few occurrences of this (this example being the most common), else reading Thai would become impossible for me.

My favorite word is ผลไม้ (fruit) as it reminds me that sometimes the rule of pronouncing a letter only once in a word can be broken. This one, as most of you know, is pronounced phon la mai instead of what normally should have been pronounced phon mai, i.e. law ling (ล) is used twice thus creating the extra syllable. I am thankful that there are only very few occurrences of this (this example being the most common), else reading Thai would become impossible for me.

I always liked this one too!

Not that I get to use it too much.

เสกเป่า sekbow = It means to blow a magical spell

More of a kids word but I always did like it.

In The Rai!