Thai hospitals urged to allow patients to buy their own medicines

webfact

Hospitals urged to allow patients to buy their own medicines

BANGKOK, 19 June 2015 (NNT)-The Department of Internal Trade (DIT) has instructed hospitals to allow patients to buy their own medicines in a bid to solve overpriced drugs sold in the hospitals.

DIT Director General Boonyarit Kalayanamit said it was difficult for the DIT to keep prices of medicinal drugs under control because of the enormous number of types and brands of medicines sold in Thailand.

He elaborated that the DIT committee on solutions to overpriced drugs had resolved to require drug manufacturers and distributors to display prices on the packages and that all hospitals must sold drugs at the indicated prices.

Hospitals must also allow patients to buy prescribed medicines at a pharmacy. The DIT Director General added that the Ministry of Public Health would later explain the new measures to those involved in an attempt to keep drugs at affordable prices.

The Central Committee on Goods and Services, which has the DIT as its secretary, will issue an official announcement on the measures before they can be enforced. Those violating this law will receive a maximum fine of 100,000 baht or a jail term of not more than 5 years or face both.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-06-19 footer_n.gif

We were at a private hospital last night. After you pay the rip-off bill (the big item is a 4,000 baht to change a half cast for a broken leg) you go to the pharmacy to collect your 'party bag' of meds. Now there is a sign stating 'Ask about equipment and medicine pricing'. Yet everyone's 'party bag' is ready for collection immediately the bill is paid. Nothing will change.

>>He elaborated that the DIT committee on solutions to overpriced drugs had resolved to require drug manufacturers and distributors to display prices on the packages and that all hospitals must sold drugs at the indicated prices.<< Quote

Someone is going to be busy:post-218648-0-39146900-1434688145_thumb.

I always buy my medication outside at Farcino,half the price of the Bangkok Pattaya hospital ,however when i use the Queen Sirikit in Satahip i always buy theirs ,even at foreigner price it is half the price of Farcino.biggrin.png

We were at a private hospital last night. After you pay the rip-off bill (the big item is a 4,000 baht to change a half cast for a broken leg) you go to the pharmacy to collect your 'party bag' of meds. Now there is a sign stating 'Ask about equipment and medicine pricing'. Yet everyone's 'party bag' is ready for collection immediately the bill is paid. Nothing will change.

Last time in hospital I told the lady which of the medic the doc wrote she should give me and which are not necessary smile.png

It didn't irritate her.

For a broken leg......what medicine? Normally no medicine needed....

I had to argue with the doc that I dont want him to prescribe the "Sponsored" medication

By med bill went from 30k to 2k..... My wife looked stunned as she paid for it, as she had initially sided with the doc when he prescribed my expensive meds.
I also had to demand he stopped talking to my wife in Thai, as I knew he was trying to convince her that his Mercedes needed a new wax job... whooops.. that the meds he prescribed are better than meds he doesnt prescribe

Thats 28k in my pocket that will go towards my kids education....

It's not difficult at all for the govt to set a maximum price for drugs. They must approve the importation of them, collect any tax payable . certify the drug to treat certain medical conditions. It's difficult because they don't want to offend the high end of town , ie the connected owners and shareholders of these establishment. So a pale pink response.

Drug producers and distributors must print prices on packages

19-6-2558-14-00-00-wpcf_728x408.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Pharmaceutical manufacturers and distributors will be required to print the prices of medicines on their packages under a joint resolution of the Internal Trade Department, the Food and Drugs Administration and the Public Health on June 9.

Internal Trade Department director-general Bunyarit Kalayanamitr said that private hospitals would have to charge the medicines prescribed to their patients in accordance with the prices stated in the packages. If there are other charges, the hospitals must clearly state in the receipts, he said, adding that patients have the right to reject medicines prescribed by the hospitals.

Following up the resolution, Mr Bunyarit said that the Public Health Ministry would have to inform the pharmaceutical manufacturers and distributors of the requirement to print drug prices on the packages.

He noted that the ministry had basic information about the production costs and, therefore, believed that they would not overly price the medicines.

Violators will face a fine of up to 100,000 baht and/or an imprisonment of five years.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/drug-producers-and-distributors-must-print-prices-on-packages

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-06-19

I paid for meds at the hospital once and almost need a mortguage. However, having decided to try outside I went to Boot's, same result. Have now found a phamacy which saves me 500 bath per month on one scrip alone.

Are you kidding ? 4,000 THB is cheap compared to Western hospitals !

I paid for meds at the hospital once and almost need a mortguage. However, having decided to try outside I went to Boot's, same result. Have now found a phamacy which saves me 500 bath per month on one scrip alone.

All it would take if for ONE good pharmacy to tap into the farang market...with transparent prices, web site, English speaking, knowledgeable staff....they would make a killing and blow the others out of the (huge) market. No one has even tried.

Can you walk into a pharmacy and buy anything you want here?

I'm thinking of things like strong pain killers or insulin or any other drug that could be harmful if self prescribed because someone has read the Internet and thinks they can be their own doctor to save a few bob.

It's not difficult at all for the govt to set a maximum price for drugs. They must approve the importation of them, collect any tax payable . certify the drug to treat certain medical conditions. It's difficult because they don't want to offend the high end of town , ie the connected owners and shareholders of these establishment. So a pale pink response.

Agree BUT there should surely NEVER be ANY tax applied on all normal and essential prescribed medicines anywhere in the World. Taxing folk's illnesses is totally unacceptable and immoral to a massive majority of ordinary folk and indeed for what it is worth IMHO too.

Yes as suggested it should be officially made compulsory for manufacturers and/or importers to price drugs on the label will stop the low life rip off levels of profit making on sick people.

All to me a big argument that the pharmacy industry worldwide should be taken completely out of private hands and run collectively by a properly run organisation like say the WHO and fully accountable to the people. It should be run at cost through global taxation added to each countries tax revenue bill and allowing of course for money being available for the important development of new drugs too, especially anti-biotics. This is unlikely to happen because of private sector greed over caring and the undemocratic power that they wield over the many corrupt western Governments. But surely it is an ideal that we should all be pushing for from our elected representatives, though fat chance with most right wing ones who are part of the problem anyway.

Edited by rayw

It is not just the hospitals at fault here. Drug companies give doctors perks for prescribing their brand of medicines. The more scripts they write the more perks they get. The pharmacy doesn't choose to give you the most expensive. They just fill the doctors orders. I tested this theory at a Bangkok hospital. They gave me an outrageous price for what the doctor had written. When I asked if they could fill it with something that costs less, they did. Commenting to my wife that next time we should tell the doctor to use a different and cheaper brand medicine.

You will not see a doctor writing those expensive scripts to some poor Thai lady. They are just taking advantage of people any way they can.

I was surprised to find that after I "paid" to join the discount program at Fascino that some of their prices were higher than the hospital price. You always have to shop price. Many of the medicines provided by Bangkok Hospital Pattaya are only available at Bangkok Hospital Pattaya.

Edited by stoli

All it would take if for ONE good pharmacy to tap into the farang market...with transparent prices, web site, English speaking, knowledgeable staff....they would make a killing and blow the others out of the (huge) market. No one has even tried.

There are many good large pharmacies spread across Thailand... "with transparent prices, web site, English speaking, knowledgeable staff "-- unfortunately the farang population is not all in one place to take advantage, and the farang market is miniscule compared to the Thai market. The biggest obstacle is the long list of pharmaceuticals that can only be sold by hospitals, since it is impossible to regulate pharmacies.

The problem is its not just a GROSS Markup - Its blatant over subscription.
The Doctors will prescribe a concoction of unnecessary pills which don't even have clear brands or a name in English, many just come in a plastic bag, it wouldn't surprise me if they have their own Placebos just to mark up some more.

Good point, and they could easily set up an order by phone / e-mail etc., with delivery to the door for a small fee.

Great business opportunity.

I have used this same example in my MBA classes on innovation / innovative business / innovative competitive advantage.

Agree BUT there should surely NEVER be ANY tax applied on all normal and essential prescribed medicines anywhere in the World. Taxing folk's illnesses is totally unacceptable and immoral to a massive majority of ordinary folk and indeed for what it is worth IMHO too.

Yes as suggested it should be officially made compulsory for manufacturers and/or importers to price drugs on the label will stop the low life rip off levels of profit making on sick people.

All to me a big argument that the pharmacy industry worldwide should be taken completely out of private hands and run collectively by a properly run organisation like say the WHO and fully accountable to the people. It should be run at cost through global taxation added to each countries tax revenue bill and allowing of course for money being available for the important development of new drugs too, especially anti-biotics. This is unlikely to happen because of private sector greed over caring and the undemocratic power that they wield over the many corrupt western Governments. But surely it is an ideal that we should all be pushing for from our elected representatives, though fat chance with most right wing ones who are part of the problem anyway.

Well said, well said, well said!!!

You are going to the wrong hospital. My wife and I have been using the same hospital in Chiang Mai for about 4 years now, very good doctors, staff, service and pricing. Our son was born there in 2013 and we could not fault the treatment wife and baby received and I thought the cost was quite reasonable.

Not all hospitals are a rip off.

Are you kidding ? 4,000 THB is cheap compared to Western hospitals !

The poster is not living in a Western country !