I was hit last night by a twit on a scooter

BBJ

I fully understand the "real road laws of Thailand" as you put it, but I still refuse to "simply adapt" to them regardless of what may happen by not doing it. It's a slippery slope once you start "simply adapting" and essentially driving badly, and the results likely to be far worse. My guess is that you're just as likely to be the one who slams into me or someone else as any Thai driver.

Why is it driving badly? It's just different driving to what you or I were brought up with. It's not bad driving here, it's just normal driving as everybody knows that everybody does it like this. No Thai/local pedestrian will cross the street at a pedestrian crossing just because the light says he can, he will wait until he is sure that everyone has stopped or is stopping until starting to walk across the road. Just like at every busy intersection no Thai/local will go just because his light is green, he will wait and look for any amber/red light jumpers to get across first before proceeding. This is all pretty normal stuff over here that every local knows about.

You can jump on your high horse if you wish, and refuse to comply but the next time someone rear ends you and sends you sprawling into the middle of an intersection, I'm sure the last thing you will be doing is shaking your fist screaming 'but I'm in the right'.

I don't wish you any ill will, I'm just saying what is normal and right for you is not the same here, so for your own safety ride carefully and be prepared. You said being rear ended was your biggest fear here, so try and adapt a little and lessen the chances of your biggest fear actually happening.

So if I follow your logic (which I actually find illogical), I just go with the flow and drive like the Thais do (i.e,, when in Rome...). So I go through the yellows and reds either at an intersection or crosswalk because it is the normal thing to do here. The pedestrians who are either entering or in the crosswalk are there at their own risk. Then next I can go ahead and pass a vehicle(s) in a no passing lane because that is pretty much normal here too for many drivers. And why don't I just drive down the wrong side of the road against the flow of traffic because I don't want to drive on the correct side to the next intersection to actually turn around (another typical driving practice in Thailand). Then next I can just zip right through a standing red light late at night when the police are not out. Again a normal practice in Thailand. It's like a domino effect to the point where you are essentially "driving badly" and doing all of the things that we all complain about Thai drivers doing.

I don't want you or anyone else to get injured either but the next time someone rear ends you and it's a delivery truck or minibus driver "driving badly" (and not just a small motorbike like before), then I will rest my case.

I think you are missing the point here. I don't read anywhere that Macknife is advocating doing everything that the Thais do such as running red lights, riding against the flow of traffic etc.

You specifically mentioned being worried about being rear ended at traffic lights as it's changing from yellow to red. The thing is that in Thailand, especially on busy streets, it is ironically safer to keep going when the light is still at amber due to other motorists behind doing the same. If the light is red, that's another matter altogether. If it's red, you should stop. If it's amber, you should continue to cross.

Those who are waiting for the light to change from red to green will not start to move until the light is actually fully green. Even then, they might wait an extra second to avoid the red light runners. So if you cross while the light is still amber, you are pretty safe.

Similarly at pedestrian crossings, you should slow down of course and make eye contact with the pedestrians on the side of the road. If you see that they are going to step out in front of you, then you have no choice but to stop. But if you see that they are waiting for you, then continue riding. Do not give way to pedestrians as others won't and might end up rear ending you because you stopped.

This is what Macknife means by "adapting" to the local driving styles.

I still haven't seen any evidence that the OP looked over his shoulder before 'peeling'.

I did a life-saver check well before the vios pulled in. The scooters were not in my vision at the time so I can only assume they have cut across from the left-hand lane from the Kubon intersection. When i was impacted I was doing less than 20kph as I gave the vios time to make his mind up because he/she drifted in and out twice. Whether I did a life-saver check or not is beside the point as there was nowhere for me to go. This was just pure impatient, idiot riding trying to impress his GF!

If we have to be smart about it, it's best to do your life-saver check well before being on the tail end of cars. Some cars have a tendency to swing out without a care, but I'm sure you're well aware of that.

SnapShot_2015-06-22.jpg

SnapShot0_2015-06-22.jpg

SnapShot2.jpg

SnapShot3.jpg

SnapShot4.jpg

From the last photo it doesn't take a genius to work out the scooter rider left his brains under the sole of his feet!

Edited by BBJ

Glad to hear you didn't get injured BBJ! I think every rider here has had at least one close moment in Thailand and we're all aware it can happen any time from any direction.

Smartest thing to do is wear proper gear as you obviously do. Can make a hell of a difference. A good reminder for eveyone (including myself :D).

seem to me,the smartest thing to do would be use public transport.

honestly,does a day ever go passed we dont hear a hard luck story on here?

More to point has there ever been a post that is positive news about farangs doing the road transport thing?

Just another way of opening yourself to more risk, but i guess it would be below some farangs to take taxi bus van or motortaxi

Glad to hear you didn't get injured BBJ! I think every rider here has had at least one close moment in Thailand and we're all aware it can happen any time from any direction.

Smartest thing to do is wear proper gear as you obviously do. Can make a hell of a difference. A good reminder for eveyone (including myself biggrin.png).

More to point has there ever been a post that is positive news about farangs doing the road transport thing?

Just another way of opening yourself to more risk, but i guess it would be below some farangs to take taxi bus van or motortaxi

What's a non-bike rider doing on the motorbike forum if not to troll?

Smartest thing to do is wear proper gear as you obviously do. Can make a hell of a difference. A good reminder for eveyone (including myself biggrin.png).

Hilarious.

you just come to Thailand for holidays, right?

public transport only works in the center of the city. in any other areas, it's inconvenient, time consuming and expensive, and not that safe either.

post-73341-0-91642700-1435050747_thumb.j

I still haven't seen any evidence that the OP looked over his shoulder before 'peeling'.

I did a life-saver check well before the vios pulled in. The scooters were not in my vision at the time so I can only assume they have cut across from the left-hand lane from the Kubon intersection. When i was impacted I was doing less than 20kph as I gave the vios time to make his mind up because he/she drifted in and out twice. Whether I did a life-saver check or not is beside the point as there was nowhere for me to go. This was just pure impatient, idiot riding trying to impress his GF!

If we have to be smart about it, it's best to do your life-saver check well before being on the tail end of cars. Some cars have a tendency to swing out without a care, but I'm sure you're well aware of that.

SnapShot_2015-06-22.jpg

SnapShot0_2015-06-22.jpg

SnapShot2.jpg

SnapShot3.jpg

SnapShot4.jpg

From the last photo it doesn't take a genius to work out the scooter rider left his brains under the sole of his feet!

you should post a video with 15 seconds more footage before the incident, it would be more easy to understand how it happened.

• 2 weeks later...