New Thai parliament building is only 11.76 percent completed

webfact

New parliament building is only 11.76 percent completed

BANGKOK: -- Construction of the 12 billion baht new parliament building is only 11.76 percent completed due to delay in land transfer and the devastating flood in Bangkok four years ago, said Mr Chare Panpruang, secretary-general of the House of Representatives, on Friday.

Mr Chare led the media to the construction site at Kiakkai to observe the construction work and to listen to a briefing of the project by Mr Chotechula Artsorn, the project engineer.

Mr Chotechula said that the construction of the project was progressing at slow pace an 8-rai land plot which houses Yothinburana school, a library of city administration, a housing estate of military industrial personnel and a community of the textile organization was yet to be evacuated.

The problem, he said, stems from the failure of the office of secretary-general of the parliament to find a new settlement for those who are to be evacuated.

Mr Chare said that the flood four years ago had delayed the plan for a handful of governmental agencies to move out of the land in question. However, he assured that there is no land conflict with the people in the area.

Despite the construction delay, he maintained that the construction cost would be kept at 12 billion baht and the project would be completed in 2517.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/new-parliament-building-is-only-11-76-percent-completed

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-06-19

One can only hope that there will still be a need for the building, whenever it is finally completed ... failing which, welcome to Bangkok's latest conference-centre, which will boost tourist-arrivals by 7.345% in the first year ! rolleyes.gif

"Despite the construction delay, he maintained that the construction cost would be kept at 12 billion baht and the project would be completed in 2517."

And the year now is 2558, unless he is observing the Gregorian calendar.. cheesy.gif

Flooding and land issues my eye... the money is gone.. soon you will hear a call to add

few billions more to bill, why? old government and its cronies out, new government and its

cronies in....

OK. here's a simple equation for large construction projects:

ORIGINAL BUDGET x DELAY = EXTRA COST

Always.

Fire the Project Manager.

The general contractor is Stecon aka Sino Thai Engineering Company PLC.

It is the largest construction company in the country.

If you wish to complain, I suggest you contact the directors. Two of them are General Surapan Poomkaew and Police General Jate Mongkolhutthi

Always.

If you wish to complain, I suggest you contact the directors. Two of them are General Surapan Poomkaew and Police General Jate Mongkolhutthi

Thanks. I'll just look up their contact info on the company web site, and fire off a little email offering my sage advice. wai.gif

"Despite the construction delay, he maintained that the construction cost would be kept at 12 billion baht and the project would be completed in 2517."

And the year now is 2558, unless he is observing the Gregorian calendar.. cheesy.gif

There is one honest person and you are joking about him.....

I truly believe at the current progress it will need another 500 years to complete it (because next year the first parts will start to brake down due to low quality building material)

When I couldn't buy 'Watson's' own brand razor blades 4 years ago, their sales assistant told me it was because of the floods. I found it difficult to believe, but grudgingly accepted the reason offered then for the lack of stock.

I now see this old excuse has been 're-cycled' to partly explain the building delay. I assume it'll be put back in the cupboard for later use , possibly to explain the delay in the high-speed rail project(s)!

Always.

In General that explains everything. Guess we will have to pass the hat. Is the old parliament building falling apart that they need a new one? Yes politician need a new home one with bars on the windows and guards.

Always.

Will they be taking the expensive microphone systems and clocks with them to the new building?

he (Mr Chare Panpruang, secretary-general of the House of Representatives) maintained that the construction cost would be kept at 12 billion baht and the project would be completed in 2517.

They (public officials) lie so easily, knowing the press is too 'krieng jai' to challenge them to explain their ridiculous statements. ('krieng jai' means to never put someone in a position of embarrassment or discomfort)

It'll be under water before it's complete. Time to move the capital back to Ayutthaya.

Ayutthaya floods even worse than Bangkok.

2011 http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/NaturalHazards/view.php?id=76234

2012 http://www.ttrweekly.com/site/2012/09/ayutthaya-suffers-floods/

2013 http://reliefweb.int/report/thailand/ayutthaya-hold-big-cleaning-day-monday-after-flood-recedes

Move the capitol closer to Isaan (higher ground) and bring some much needed jobs to that depressed area.

"the project would be completed in 2517" ... which calendar are they using?

I'll assume they meant 2017, in which case < deleted >, it'll never be done by then, at least not properly.

If they really had until 2517, do you think it would be done properly by then?