yellow book for sim card ?

motyduke

I live here since now 9 months . I have a very simple phone with ais top up but just to make calls . And now i want to have postpaid simcard to have 3G , make calls and some FB or Line , just to use a little bit internet when i am outside from home .

But i went in AIS shop and they ask me about "yellow book" to sell me this kind of package , or a "certificate of residence " !!! But i have neither !And i dont have work permit too.... So how did you to have these kind of phone package ?? somebody have the same problem about yellow book ?

I tried to find how to get it but cannot understand ....ask too my girlfriend about that, but she discover now there is not only the blue book and can't tell me how to do to have it

if someone can help me ....

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why you need a postpaid package for the tasks you want to do?

Postpaid is indeed difficult if you don't have a work permit.

And now i want to have postpaid simcard to have 3G , make calls and some FB or Line , just to use a little bit internet when i am outside from home .

Who told you that this is only possible with a postpaid SIM????

Millions of Thais do this without having a postpaid.

You are on the wrong track.

Use your prepaid and get informed about the zillions of internet package options.

(tons of threads)

Or try to find an AIS/Telewiz shop where they have a brain and ask them.

thanks . i understand that the eservice is to manage my packages and subscriptions but for use that and go to idata package i need a sim-card to have data . But THAT i want to buy and THAT AIS dont wnt to sell me without these papers ( yellow book or residence certificate )!!! Until now i had just a sim card with call only and sms ...a very simple phone . I use my european phone on wifi in my condo.And of course my euopean phone is lock with a french subscription

Get your smartphone unlocked at MBK.

Go to AiS with the phone and your existing SIM, if it's a bit old they will give you a new SIM that is 3G compliant.

Ask for a data package, they will give you a list of the available packages, choose one.

If your SIM is not already registered you will likely be asked for your passport so it can be legally registered (government requirement).

OR

Go to 7-eleven (or Tesco, Big-C etc) with your passport, buy a data enabled pre-paid SIM, top it up, go to eservice and enable the package you want.

no because yesterday i asked for that and they asked me about yellow book or certificate of residence so i think i will buy a new one in MBK maybe . i am surprised nobody answer me about these papers they asked....maybe it is a new rule and really dont know where i can get these papers

You might want to look into a Truelove H Prepaid sim...

No yellow book residency or wp requirements...

Great Prepaid 4G Data Packages start at 199/month

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/3g/sim-truemoveh/prepaid/entry/3340

They sell them at 7-11 - but best to go to local street/mall vendor and have them set your phone up and get it working...

Edited by sfokevin

no because yesterday i asked for that and they asked me about yellow book or certificate of residence so i think i will buy a new one in MBK maybe . i am surprised nobody answer me about these papers they asked....maybe it is a new rule and really dont know where i can get these papers

Were you asking for a pre-pay phone??

Certificate of residence from your embassy.

Yellow Book from your local ampur office.

Threads on both if you try a forum search.

ok . i will try to do that . But i will buy a new smartphone because i can't unlock my phone without losing my french subscription : i keep it for the times i come back and for contact with my old parents.

Unlocking your phone has no bearing on your subscription.

You really hold quite a few misconceptions. You don't need a PostPaid account, you just need to update your SIM. They might want to see a passport in order to register the SIM, but that's it.

i meaned i dont want to use an other simcard with this phone . i want to keep it with the sim card of my french subscription for safety and family concern.

Misconception ? i acnnot update a sim with no data to a data sim : i asked yesterday in Ais and they said it is impossible to do. And i didn't say i NEED a postpaid but i feel it is easier to manage than a prepaid .

For yellow book , i went in my amphur and they asked me a certificate of residence issued by immigration office ....but i went last week in Chaeng Wattana to know how to get it and they say " no issue it now "..." goto your Khet ! " i presume Khet = Amphur in BKK..... Makes me crazy !

I really believe you are over-thinking this. Many, many of us, myself included, have gone from a One2Call voice only phone to a smartphone without doing anything other than activating a data package on the net. Even if your existing SIM isn't suitable AiS should be able to give you a new SIM with your existing phone number.

Try this:-

Go into any phone shop, buy a smart phone.

Tell them you want a SIM (you will need your passport) or ask them to activate your existing SIM for data.

They will even activate a suitable data package for you (you'll need to pay for that too of course).

There is a pinned thread here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/156485-yellow-tabien-bahn/ on how to get a yellow book.

I think there may be a bit of confusion. ALl simcards need to be registered to a person now. For a Thai they need their ID card. For a foreigner a passport.

As far as postpaid would you give credit without proof of where you live?

i know all simcards need to register . no problem with that and i understand they need a proof of where i live . It is ok . i just asked how to do ? And i repeat i went in 3 ais shops yesterday and they didnt ask me only passport but also this yellow book or a certificate of residence . iwent in the third shop with a scottish friend of mine who didnt believe me ! maybe it is a new rule for postpaid ! dont know !

but i will follow what crossy said to have prepaid . thanks a lot ! i will need a new simcard , my simcard cannot be upgrade for data ....same , the told me that in the 2 shops i went : maybe the 2 only bad shops in BKK LOL

maybe... i need to explore it ! but now with my phone i disconnect data from abroad to avoid huge french bills ....i dont know if with a dual phone i can shut off it with one sim and let it open for data with the other

maybe... i need to explore it ! but now with my phone i disconnect data from abroad to avoid huge french bills ....i dont know if with a dual phone i can shut off it with one sim and let it open for data with the other

With a dual SIM card phone you Cana chi ate data for each card individually. You will need to choose which SIM card.

The difference in prepaid and postpaid is almost none. The plans are mostly the same. You can get phone and som card even in a 7-11 without an issue. Surely I-mobile, Oppo, etc will assist you as well. I think the AIS shops misunderstood what you wanted or maybe you where not specific enough for them. Normally each SIM card, if bought within the last few years, is data enabled by default. If you have a non smart phone nothing will happen. Only if you use it in a smart phone the data will be activated by default and without a package deducted on a kb basis. Just call the hotline and add a data package once you have purchased a smartphone. Their English is quite good.

i meaned i dont want to use an other simcard with this phone . i want to keep it with the sim card of my french subscription for safety and family concern.

Misconception ? i acnnot update a sim with no data to a data sim : i asked yesterday in Ais and they said it is impossible to do. And i didn't say i NEED a postpaid but i feel it is easier to manage than a prepaid .

For yellow book , i went in my amphur and they asked me a certificate of residence issued by immigration office ....but i went last week in Chaeng Wattana to know how to get it and they say " no issue it now "..." goto your Khet ! " i presume Khet = Amphur in BKK..... Makes me crazy !

Nonsense! I upgraded all of my SIMs from GSM to data capable. Nothing to show if the SIM is already registered. Passport at best to register a new SIM.

No way is a PostPaid account more easy to administer than Prepaid. You are just making a rod for your own back and a headache for everyone else. It's quite likely you are confusing the staff.

It is not an issue to update a GSM SIM to a 3G data SIM. No Yellow Book necessary.

I wonder how often the facts have to be repeated.

You should really take a breath, forget post paid and yellow book.

I am so surprised that this book, almost unknown to most of the Thais, has been asked by multiple AIS outlets.

I am reading in this forum for about 5 years and can not remember such requirement.

If there is a requirement for postpaid then its a work permit or a residency permit.

Some of the postpaid packages at AIS:

http://www.ais.co.th/3g/en/package.aspx?id=17&type=computer_package

Go to a 7/11, buy and register a new SIM (if the old one is not 3G capable) and use one the packages.

15min and you are online.

A slow but cheap package:

7 days, 384 kBit unlimited for 69 Baht.

Good enough for email, VoIP (Skype, LINE etc.), browsing the news. forums etc.

*777*731#

Just had a VoIP (Skype) call today with a fellow using this package.

Excellent sound quality.

Edited by KhunBENQ

ummm...but with pre paid you can have data ? i think no or very expensive and with quick limits

I have currently 2 true move post paid cards, and before I had a AIS post paid card, all acquired with a yellow book.

On Prepaid you can have data, but post paid may be cheaper.

With True prepaid you can get about 6Gb for 799 Baht if I recall correctly.Other providers have similar prices.

My latest postpaid with True which I just signed up last week gives me 8Gb ( 3G/4G) and 600 minutes call time for 550 Baht, because you get 50% discount the first 12 months and can change package or cancel the card at any time

thanks a lot for your kind replies.... i am not mad... i found someone ( Anthony 5 ) who said same thing as me : he had postpais with a yellow book ! Even my thai girlfrien didnt believe me bu she remember that she needs bluebook for her postpaid so !

I will forget postpaid... sure ! And i will buy a new sim as , as i said , in 3 shops , they check my simcard and said "cannot upgrade to data " . Itis really confusing how many people dont believe that here ...but that a fact ! Even my scottish friend didnt believe it and follow me in the 3rd shop to check it

I will try to get a prepaid . thanks to everybody

thanks a lot for your kind replies.... i am not mad... i found someone ( Anthony 5 ) who said same thing as me : he had postpais with a yellow book ! Even my thai girlfrien didnt believe me bu she remember that she needs bluebook for her postpaid so !

I will forget postpaid... sure ! And i will buy a new sim as , as i said , in 3 shops , they check my simcard and said "cannot upgrade to data " . Itis really confusing how many people dont believe that here ...but that a fact ! Even my scottish friend didnt believe it and follow me in the 3rd shop to check it

I will try to get a prepaid . thanks to everybody

Why forget about the postpaid? You girlfriend can get the card in her name with her blue book, and as you say that AIS accept certificate of residence, you can get a certificate of residence at immigration for 2 or 300 Baht.

I only want postpaid, not interested in the hassle of going to 7/11 to upload balance because you just run out of credit during that important call or download.

On postpaid you get also better deals.