yellow book for sim card ?

motyduke

Since you are not prepared to listen to the advice given in previous posts, you should listen to your Thai girlfriend.

She will tell you that you have to buy her a house, then she will get a "Yellow Book."

She can then add your name in book as living in the house, then you can get a post paid sim card.

Happy now? cheesy.gif

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks a lot for your kind replies.... i am not mad... i found someone ( Anthony 5 ) who said same thing as me : he had postpais with a yellow book ! Even my thai girlfrien didnt believe me bu she remember that she needs bluebook for her postpaid so !

I will forget postpaid... sure ! And i will buy a new sim as , as i said , in 3 shops , they check my simcard and said "cannot upgrade to data " . Itis really confusing how many people dont believe that here ...but that a fact ! Even my scottish friend didnt believe it and follow me in the 3rd shop to check it

I will try to get a prepaid . thanks to everybody

You need to go to an actual AIS service centre to change your SIM, not a normal shop. They will have the ability to upgrade your SIM and for you to keep your number. If you don't care about the number, just buy a new SIM for 49 baht or whatever.

Perhaps this wasn't made clear to you and where the confusion lies. I went to a DTAC service centre to change my SIM from GSM to 3G capable. Was done in five minutes at no cost.

So once again, it can be done.

i cant do that because they want same addres as in the book so i can not give my address

You can, my first sim card with AIS was in the name of a Thai lady who lived in Ubon, because at that time you still needed a work permit, and the bill came in my name to my address in Pattaya.

With pre-paid, a passport is acceptable as ID.

And with pre-paid 3G Sim you can do everything the same as post-paid. Present passport and give girlfriend address.

If mobile office too restrictive, go to another larger one.

I'd stick with pre-paid, at least until you understand your needs and/or find a post-paid "promotion" which clearly meets your needs and represents a significant discount.

While you may be required to register your pre-paid SIM (by 31 July 2015) with your passport, you can have a pre-paid account without any sort of residency requirement (work permit, house book, visa, etc.).

DTAC does allow post-paid to anyone, but you'll need to guarantee four months via a credit card. Otherwise your GF can get a post-paid contract with just her Thai ID card.

For pre-paid just add value (at the service providers shop, top-up machine, 7/11, etc.), then subscribe to the promotion/data plan (via USSD) which might best suit your requirements. You can cancel it, and subscribe to another plan if you want to change.

For AIS, assuming you have a 3G/2100 MHz compatible phone there are a ton of promotions.

http://www.ais.co.th/3g-one-2-call/en/package-addon-detail.aspx?type=2&id=34

http://www.ais.co.th/3g-one-2-call/en/package-addon-detail.aspx?type=1&id=37

edited to add: The OP might have an "old" One-2-Call GSM900 SIM, and he may have to upgrade to a "new" One-2-Call 3G/2100 SIM. Existing numbers can be ported to the "new" SIM, all for free. Maybe this is what is causing the misunderstanding{s) with AIS?

Edited by bamnutsak

For post-paid they need your passport as proof of ID and proof of address.

A rental contract with landlords ID and Tabian Ban may be sufficient.

A certificate of residence can be obtained from your local Police Station, showing the documents I just mentioned above.

Surprising that most AIS staff would even know what a yellow book is, let alone ask for one. I got my postpaid True sim and service with just my passport and my address scribbled on a piece of paper.

i went in 3 shop from ais yesterday and all asked me about yellow book ( i dont remember the name in thai but a friend translated to me ) or a certificate of residence . You know where we can have these papers ?

You can get a certificate of residence from immigration. I think, however, you might find DTAC easier to deal with.

ummm...but with pre paid you can have data ? i think no or very expensive and with quick limits

I have AIS unlimited data (actually 5GB month 3G then unlimited non 3G, but I never use 5GB anyway)

I also have 2 sims on the same package so my ipad also uses the 3G data package if I'm out.

I pay 1049 baht per month Pre Pay

Not expensive to have data everywhere I go.

I don't know there you are located, but about six months ago I did the same thing in Bangkok with my pre-paid DTAC SIM card. The DTAC shop on The Mall simply asked for a billing address, passport copy and bank book for direct debit.

I have the 490 baht plan and get a text message from my bank whenever they transfer payment to DTAC. No money missing from the account (fingers crossed) and no problems thus far.

thanks a lot for your kind replies.... i am not mad... i found someone ( Anthony 5 ) who said same thing as me : he had postpais with a yellow book ! Even my thai girlfrien didnt believe me bu she remember that she needs bluebook for her postpaid so !

I will forget postpaid... sure ! And i will buy a new sim as , as i said , in 3 shops , they check my simcard and said "cannot upgrade to data " . Itis really confusing how many people dont believe that here ...but that a fact ! Even my scottish friend didnt believe it and follow me in the 3rd shop to check it

Why forget about the postpaid? You girlfriend can get the card in her name with her blue book, and as you say that AIS accept certificate of residence, you can get a certificate of residence at immigration for 2 or 300 Baht.

I only want postpaid, not interested in the hassle of going to 7/11 to upload balance because you just run out of credit during that important call or download.

On postpaid you get also better deals.

Immi doesn't do Cert of residence anymore.Embassy,unfortunately is the place to go.

You need to go to an actual AIS service centre to change your SIM, not a normal shop. They will have the ability to upgrade your SIM and for you to keep your number. If you don't care about the number, just buy a new SIM for 49 baht or whatever.

Perhaps this wasn't made clear to you and where the confusion lies. I went to a DTAC service centre to change my SIM from GSM to 3G capable. Was done in five minutes at no cost.

So once again, it can be done.

Of course it can be done,quick and free,Telewiz.

Why forget about the postpaid? You girlfriend can get the card in her name with her blue book, and as you say that AIS accept certificate of residence, you can get a certificate of residence at immigration for 2 or 300 Baht.

I only want postpaid, not interested in the hassle of going to 7/11 to upload balance because you just run out of credit during that important call or download.

On postpaid you get also better deals.

Immi doesn't do Cert of residence anymore.Embassy,unfortunately is the place to go.

They must have stopped with that today I assume?

Surprising that most AIS staff would even know what a yellow book is, let alone ask for one. I got my postpaid True sim and service with just my passport and my address scribbled on a piece of paper.

And that is the amazing thing in Thailand.

I already have a True postpaid sim which I acquired by transfer my AIS number to True. I asked at that time if they needed a copy of my yellow book, but they answered a copy of my passport was sufficient.

About a week ago I went back to the same True shop as I wanted an additional postpaid sim and was told that I needed a work permit. I told the guy that I already had a postpaid number and also had a yellow book, but he insisted that only a work permit would enable me to have a postpaid sim since that were the rules.

I got a bit upset and told him he should stop making up his own rules. He went to the back office and returned with the message that a yellow book would be just finesmile.png

Moral of the story.

Nobody in Thailand knows their job, be it in private or official positions, and just make up the rules as they go.

Edited by Anthony5

For post-paid they need your passport as proof of ID and proof of address.

A rental contract with landlords ID and Tabian Ban may be sufficient.

A certificate of residence can be obtained from your local Police Station, showing the documents I just mentioned above.

yes that what i said they need tabian baan so when You dont have ??? I went in bang na police station and they send me to Khet for certificate of résidence , which want to send me to Chaeng wattana

Let's take this one step, one question, at a time.

1. Forget about the yellow house registration book. You are perhaps in Thailand on a tourist visa and do not qualify for it. If you want a prepaid SIM, get the residence certificate from your embassy, but first make sure that this is indeed acceptable to AIS.

2. Can your "very simple phone" handle the frequencies used by AIS for mobile phone and Internet service? If not, buy a new phone that can.

And that is the amazing thing in Thailand.

I already have a True postpaid sim which I acquired by transfer my AIS number to True. I asked at that time if they needed a copy of my yellow book, but they answered a copy of my passport was sufficient.

<deleted> with Farang is national pastime.

About a week ago I went back to the same True shop as I wanted an additional postpaid sim and was told that I needed a work permit. I told the guy that I already had a postpaid number and also had a yellow book, but he insisted that only a work permit would enable me to have a postpaid sim since that were the rules.

I got a bit upset and told him he should stop making up his own rules. He went to the back office and returned with the message that a yellow book would be just finesmile.png

Moral of the story.

Nobody in Thailand knows their job, be it in private or official positions, and just make up the rules as they go.

My closest AIS (Central Bangna) accepts both Thai drivers licences and yellow books for registration.

If your phone is 2G (whatever that means here), they'll give you a new, cheapo 3G phone (INRON)...for free!

Edited by facthailand