Prayut: Thai fugitive lese majeste suspect 'not a Thai'

webfact

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that it is not lawfully possible to do this, according to a UN Convention?!

...but hey, this is Thailand!facepalm.gif

Article 15.
  • (1) Everyone has the right to a nationality.
  • (2) No one shall be arbitrarily deprived of his nationality nor denied the right to change his nationality

Errr...tell that to the Australian PM Tony Abbott.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"he is no longer a Thai person, and he cannot stay in Thailand"

If he no longer can stay in Thailand how does that extradition work? biggrin.png

Perhaps Khao Sod's incompetent translator can help.

maybe you can provide a link to the Thai version and then a competent translation.

Since he fled this country to another, it shows that he is no longer a Thai person, and he cannot stay in Thailand," Gen. Prayuth said

he hasn't the faintest clue, does he?

Human Rights,

Article 9.
  • No one shall be subjected to arbitrary arrest, detention or exile.

Article 13.
  • (1) Everyone has the right to freedom of movement and residence within the borders of each state.
  • (2) Everyone has the right to leave any country, including his own, and to return to his country.

^ Top

Article 14.
  • (1) Everyone has the right to seek and to enjoy in other countries asylum from persecution.
  • (2) This right may not be invoked in the case of prosecutions genuinely arising from non-political crimes or from acts contrary to the purposes and principles of the United Nations.

And finally, ...

Article 15.
  • (2) No one shall be arbitrarily deprived of his nationality nor denied the right to change his nationality.

Since he fled this country to another, it shows that he is no longer a Thai person, and he cannot stay in Thailand," Gen. Prayuth said

he hasn't the faintest clue, does he?

Human Rights,

Article 9.
  • No one shall be subjected to arbitrary arrest, detention or exile.

Article 13.
  • (1) Everyone has the right to freedom of movement and residence within the borders of each state.
  • (2) Everyone has the right to leave any country, including his own, and to return to his country.

^ Top

Article 14.
  • (1) Everyone has the right to seek and to enjoy in other countries asylum from persecution.
  • (2) This right may not be invoked in the case of prosecutions genuinely arising from non-political crimes or from acts contrary to the purposes and principles of the United Nations.

And finally, ...

Article 15.
  • (2) No one shall be arbitrarily deprived of his nationality nor denied the right to change his nationality.

Exactly. That is why he needs Robert Amsterdam to smooth out his approach to the media and the world.

Thanks for highlighting this.

Since he fled this country to another, it shows that he is no longer a Thai person, and he cannot stay in Thailand," Gen. Prayuth said, referring to Ekapop Luera, a former student activist who says he is currently living in New Zealand.

Since when does leaving a country rob you of your nationality, cultural heritage, upbringing, and identity? Have you ever heard of such a thing? Who is this guy? Why does he constantly utter such silly and inane remarks? I am certain he is more intelligent than he appears to be in the press. And it is sometimes hard to believe that the press is rather stifled here. Imagine if they truly had a free hand?

Since he fled this country to another, it shows that he is no longer a Thai person, and he cannot stay in Thailand," Gen. Prayuth said, referring to Ekapop Luera, a former student activist who says he is currently living in New Zealand.

Since when does leaving a country rob you of your nationality, cultural heritage, upbringing, and identity? Have you ever heard of such a thing? Who is this guy? Why does he constantly utter such silly and inane remarks? I am certain he is more intelligent than he appears to be in the press. And it is sometimes hard to believe that the press is rather stifled here. Imagine if they truly had a free hand?

2 words and 4 billion baht to make him be the best PM in history.

Robert Amsterdam.

Since when does leaving a country rob you of your nationality, cultural heritage, upbringing, and identity?

Since khaosod has begun reporting and translating stories (not articles) into English.

Edited by Robert1954

If he no longer can stay in Thailand how does that extradition work? biggrin.png

Hey mate, the OP is has nothing to do with Khao Sod news paper, but this is your second shot at them without any mention of the relevant issue, What The?

So what I'd like to know is, the current PM the only person on the planet that can decide if a person is still a Thai citizen or not? is that divine power given to him alone and by whom? along with I can have you executed if I want, or is that power from article 44? or what? or is he so deluded with grandeur that he thinks he can do what ever he likes to the Thai people with impunity?

Now the other thing that is just a little (WHAT THE) is he wants to extradite a now no longer a Thai citizen and he can not stay here and charge him with LM and put him in gaol, wear exactly if he can't stay here??? blink.png

If ya can't dazzle em with brains baffle em with bullsh*t.

The illusion that this government is somehow recognised let alone respected is ridiculous .

This draconian law is akin to Neo Nazi desires to request Jews in Israel be handed over for saying things they don't like.

There is no authority ...no moral grounds ...and it's as insidious

And decent countries that doesn't pay homage( like children) won't dream of compliance....and further respect people's right to freedom of speech

Edited by Plutojames88

The important thing is that Prayut's comment admits that lese majeste violates human rights, read it again.

The important thing is that Prayut's comment admits that lese majeste violates human rights, read it again.

Good point ...though doubt even he realises that.

Seems to me that if there is going to be an LM law then the only person who should decide to invoke the law should be the monarch, if he deems it fitting for a trial, not every Tom, Dick, and Harry that comes along who wants to piss on some opponent they deem undesirable.

I would imagine that the extradition request from Thailand and the suggestion from the government that the subject is not Thai anymore, he can't live in Thailand, would make an excellent application criteria for political asylum. In fact it may not be necessary for the applicant to give any further information at all. Extradition is not normally enforceable for asylum seekers. Some countries have little time for governments who claim or seize power.

Generally speaking, extradition treaties only permit the return of a fugitive, inter alia, when the offence for which they are to be charged is a crime specified in both countries' penal codes. LM is not an offence in the NZ criminal calendar and therefore the Thai chap cannot be extradited. The Thai authorities are well aware of this but from time to time the junta are compelled to re-activate the issue, presumably for domestic consumption. They have done this in respect of other Thai nationals living in the UK and Japan and still persist in making representations to those countries' governments despite having been told on numerous occasions that the offence is not extraditable. Given the futility of these representations one must conclude their purpose is simply to maintain linkage between the Red Shirt movement and lese majeste in the minds of the Thai people thereby undermining its popularity.

Edited by Seekingasylum

Generally speaking, extradition treaties only permit the return of a fugitive, inter alia, when the offence for which they are to be charged is a crime specified in both countries' penal codes. LM is not an offence in the NZ criminal calendar and therefore the Thai chap cannot be extradited. The Thai authorities are well aware of this but from time to time the junta are compelled to re-activate the issue, presumably for domestic consumption. They have done this in respect of other Thai nationals living in the UK and Japan and still persist in making representations to those countries' governments despite having been told on numerous occasions that the offence is not extraditable. Given the futility of these representations one must conclude their purpose is simply to maintain linkage between the Red Shirt movement and lese majeste in the minds of the Thai people thereby undermining its popularity.

I agree with your analysis of the situation but differ somewhat with your conclusion.I don't believe the Thai population follows these matters with rapt attention and in any event takes a more sophisticated approach than many believe.In other words they can recognise and discount propaganda.

More particularly the fanatics on the extreme right appear to be in grip of a cult which defies reason and common sense.Alongside these crazies, politicians (including the military government) seek to wrap themselves in royalist clothing so that their self serving antics can be justified.

The reality that these peoples behaviour undermines the whole purpose of the LM laws is apparently of no consequence to them.

For those like myself who believe strongly in the value of the great Thai institution there is little to be optimistic about.

Countries like the Soviet Union and the communist German Democratic Republic did the same to their critics. They let them emigrate and then cancelled their citizenship. Aleksander Solzhenitsyn ("Gulag") is the most famous victim of this policy.

So the General is in good company.

And repeating the same thing time after time and expecting different results is a sign of?

Except I think they know what the result is going to be, it's the fallout that is desired.

>> "At this moment, New Zealand has not given us any reply at all," Gen. Prayuth told reporters. "Sometimes, it's hard for [other countries] to understand when it comes to extradition, because they don't have this law. Mostly, they use human rights laws. But our country's law is our country's law."<< Quote

"Mostly they have human rights laws"

Yes what a disgrace!! When we have LM and Article 44................coffee1.gif

Seriously Mr. P sometimes it is a good idea to keep the gob shut!!

It's time to call someone in to attend "Diplomacy Adjustment".

If anyone saw the speech he made attacking the monarchy they would agree he should be arrested for poor taste and lack of tact. LM laws aside.

But then that is a predictable 7%'er attitude towards Thai law and even more predictable is his attitude towards this. He cannot simply live in NZ, he has to stir and push the Junta which is a famous RS trait that follows breaking the law.

At the end of the day he broke the law and so he does the famous RS trick of running as fast as you can away from accountability.

So we have France, Dubai and now New Zealand as red shirt havens.

We should have bets on which country the next red shirt terrorist will hide in?

Where I come from people don't get arrested for poor taste and lack of tact.

Your 7% quote is getting really boring as you are the only one that knows what it means.

When Germans provided protection to Jews during WWII they were also breaking the law, when black people burned their passbooks in apartheid South Africa they broke the law and when the Chinese students defied their communist government and died they broke the law. So for the 1% ers like you to have a law doesn't mean that such a law is just and to impose such a law becomes a rule by law and not the rule of law. I know that for a person like you its difficult to get the concept of the rule of law, because forcing laws on people gives you so much pleasure.

Lets now take your empty terrorist haven rant. This boy is not a terrorist by any definition of the law and to brand all redshirts as terrorist shows your warped sense of reality.

I again ask you who pays you to write such blatant twisted comments. For which arm of the security services do you work ?

Many countries, including the UK, have LM laws on their law books, most of them do not use them as political weapons.

The Junta's insistence of pursuing their idealogical opponents on LM charges only enhances the victim's claim for asylum. The reason they are not getting a reply from countries like New Zealand is the folk whose job it is to reply have not stopped laughing at the request.

The UK doesn't currently have a LM law. Scotland used to have one, but not anymore.

The UK does have a law about offending people, but that applies to everyone, not just royalty.

If the UK had a LM law then Spitting Image would never have been aired.

yes other laws like for hate speech, causing civil unrest, etc. If jokes about the royal family would be illegal they would have to jail half UK.

On the other hand...what did the British Queen ever do for the people and how many people would listen when she speaks something.....

Well for the last 60 odd years she has been an effective and well regarded monarch, who has acted as a non political head of state. She remains a well respected, well loved even, non political leader.

I thought hard about the term leader, because I know it can be translated as Fuhrer, and that does have unfortunate connotations. But then I thought " b*ll*cks", if he is going to have a pop at Her Majesty, why not?

"an effective and well regarded monarch". Are you sure about this?

If you haven't seen it yet, I suggest you take a look at Youtube and watch a documentary titled 'Unlawful Killing'. HMQ tried to ban this video because she felt it's content, if widely seen, would likely result in the abolition of the British monarchy. Having seen the video, I can fully understand her concerns.