Another Samui internet speed thread

I have 3BB 16Mbps/1Mbps broadband. Now I know that we rarely get what we pay for, but my connection seems pretty slow recently. I was even getting a message on my Apple TV last night that it would take 3 hours before a film was ready to watch. Normally ready in a couple of minutes.

Today I used Speedof.me (non Flash speed tester) to check my connection, and got the following three results:

(1) Down 3.97 Mbps. Up 530 kbps

(2) Down 3.11 Mbps. Up 900 kbps. Latency 241ms

(3) Down 4.74 Mbps. Up 890 kbps. Latency 248ms

Before I complain to 3BB, does this seem slow to those of you more knowledgeable about the internet? I'm sure that I was getting nearer download speeds of 13Mbps last year.

It is low season, and I would have thought that with less people on the island the internet load would be lighter, and things might even be faster than normal if anything.

I just did the same test, twice... on the 13 mbps package...

Download between 9.09 and 10.02 Mbps...

Up 900 to 960 Kbps

I have IPTV running at the same time, with no problems with buffering... .....

It could be that the is some problem in your area, as they are supposed to be improving the line to Chong Mong / (never can spell that correctly) some time this summer... perhaps that is the reason?

I usually find 3BB pretty good on responding so perhaps give them a shout!

Latency 240mS indicates that the test has been run to a distant server (probably somewhere in Europe) or that 3BB has severe routing problems.

My CAT 20Mbps/3Mbps fiber line:

Down 15.81 Mbps. Up 3.05 Mbps. latency 53mS (Singapore server)

Edited by lom

I think your supplier, 3BB, “guarantee” the speed between you and the proxy-server; not anywhere else out in the big Cyber World.

What point do you measure to with Speedof.me...?

I tried that test and got:

Download: 5.2 Mbps

Upload: 550 kbps

Max Down: 6.58, Max Up: 0.69

Test Server: Unknown

I’m supposed to have 5Mb (think they upgraded to 6Mb) down and 500k up, TOT in Maenam area.

Your ISP (Internet Service Provider) will normally have a test site that measure at the proxy connection, which is “your” speed.

Testing the Big World you can use Ookla at www.speedtest.net. Here you can yourself choose where in the World you wish to check your connection up against – you may find huge speed difference to various part, at different times.

If you are downloading a movie from a server in US or Europe, it may be slow at certain periods, whilst a local server may be fast enough, so try a download from Asia or Australia instead. Sometimes – and that can be nights or weekends – you may find the speed in and out of Thailand, or just in and out of the Surat Thani area, slow; mind you, speed on a private connection can be shared with up to 10 other users. However you can choose less shares and pay more – I tried to have a dedicated line for almost 10 times the price; not at all faster, as the limits were not this island, but outside, in the Big Cyper Space... sad.png

The reason that I used the Speedof.me tester was because it doesn't require me to have Flash installed on my Mac, which I don't. It apparently uses HTML5 instead.

I tried again at 21:00hrs this evening and got a slightly better Down 6.09Mbps and Up 1.09 Mbps, Latency 241ms.

It doesn't offer the ability to choose server location, saying that it "automatically picks the fastest regardless of location."

Friday night, so everyone is probably at the Ark Bar, instead of on the internet. That must be why it's a bit quicker :-)

On another tester: bandwidthplace.com, choosing Singapore server...Down 5.76Mbps, Up 0.9Mbps, 29ms. I think i will go see 3BB tomorrow and see if they can do

anything.

Edited by phetphet

This is your 3BB Speed Test (found it on Google):

They use Ookla (Flash). My 6Mb/500k (Maenam, TOT) reads:
Download Speed: 6011 kbps (751.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 517 kbps (64.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
6/19/2015, 4:44:33 PM

Just tested with your 3BBB link above. I got 15.26 down & .68 up. The thing is I am with TOT fibre optic. I am downloading a TV series via VUZE & eta/speed keeps varying from 20+ DAYS @ 3.2 mbs to 12 hours @ 300+. Is this due to number of seeders or a TOT problem?

I was getting very slow speeds 7am -8am this morning. Under 3Mbps downloads. I phoned them, and they tested the line. Said something about "noise on the line" whatever that means, and they are sending an engineer to check things out. Fingers crossed.

Will post results.

This is your 3BB Speed Test (found it on Google):

They use Ookla (Flash). My 6Mb/500k (Maenam, TOT) reads:
Download Speed: 6011 kbps (751.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 517 kbps (64.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
6/19/2015, 4:44:33 PM

Absolutely identical to mine - TOT/Mae Nam

Although when downloading torrents I seem to get a rock steady 7Mb, for some reason (with good seeders).

As he is also downloading torrents, any possibility that the OP is finding himself subject to some kind of capping from 3BB?

R

I noticed on 3BB's website yesterday, that they have a promotion until 30th June: 15Mb/1Mb for THB900/month + VAT. http://www.3bb.co.th/3bb/product/details/2086

Asked them what package I had (13/1) for 900THB/month + VAT, so they upgraded me there and then. So I've got a slightly faster package for same price.

Not that it makes any difference at the moment, as I am still waiting for the engineer to check and repair my problem.

Edited by phetphet

3BB guys came this morning (Sunday). After doing whatever it is they do on the line outside somewhere, they showed me Ookla speed test on their tablet of 14.97Mb.

I checked at same time on Speedof.me and got 8.9Mb /1.07 with a random server, and on www.bandwidthplace.com using "Fastest server" Singapore, 9.44Mb /.92Mb.

Much better than what it was, so happy now.

There have been very big Coronal discharges from the sun in the last 2-3 weeks,

Space Weather Message Code: ALTTP4

Serial Number: 508 Issue Time: 2015 Jun 24 1143 UTC ALERT:

Type IV Radio Emission Begin Time: 2015 Jun 24 1054 UTC NOAA Space Weather Scale descriptions can be found at www.swpc.noaa.gov/NOAAscales Description:

Type IV emissions occur in association with major eruptions on the sun and are typically associated with strong coronal mass ejections and solar radiation storms.

TOT now has a server here on Samui, interruptions seem to be in the microwave link.

Talked to the Engineer, they are working on it!

TOT fiber users check your IP address, now lists Thailand, Surat-Thani, Koh Samui and your zip code.

Sitting in Siam Paragon BKK and am on the new AIS Super wifi. Getting 15.21Mbps down and 14.29 Mbps up.

That's better to than what I am getting on my 3BB landline in Samui.

Edited by phetphet